Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Shamelessly posting another 300 pic. Click for 1080p wallpaper size

Beautiful pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isolationist posted:

HNNNNG. Nice, but could you please put a tail tidy on it?

This is my new pet hate, by the way. Almost every non-cruiser bike on the market has these tiny pointy tails and so has to have a massive, weird, ovipositor-looking thing sticking out the back of it for the indicators and number plate because that's the law almost everywhere in the world, and you have to buy and fit a tail tidy to make it look non-stupid, thereby making your brand new bike (theoretically at least) illegal. Just design a tail that looks good *with* a legal plate and lights, for fucks sake.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
My first foray into the 2 wheeled universe

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
300 right? I really want to test drive one of those to see how it compares to the Ninja.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

It's a 500. Take this with a grain of salt, but as a first bike it has been pretty great.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Isolationist posted:

HNNNNG. Nice, but could you please put a tail tidy on it?

Already on the way. Also have a tank pad, seat cowl and loving third party heated grips, because Honda apparently think it's justifiable to charge 550 bucks (I am not kidding) for heated grips.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's an amazing color for that stying on the cbr

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Jazzahn posted:

My first foray into the 2 wheeled universe

Since when is there a silver/grey variant? I've only see red, black, and the tricolor.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

I believe the only colors for the 2015 version of the 500r are Black and Silver.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

I miss tricolor. Now if they put it on the 650f I'd probably go out and buy one right now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

El Mike-o posted:

I miss tricolor. Now if they put it on the 650f I'd probably go out and buy one right now.

Move to a better country

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just design a tail that looks good *with* a legal plate and lights, for fucks sake.

I feel like Ducati did a really good job of solving this issue on the new Monster 1200, but that doesn't stop anyone from buying tail tidy kits and moving the plate back up to its former (and now illegal) position.

I think having the plate mounted on the swing arm and behind the wheel is the best place for it, but the Ducati forums seem to think otherwise. :shrug:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Ripoff posted:

I feel like Ducati did a really good job of solving this issue on the new Monster 1200, but that doesn't stop anyone from buying tail tidy kits and moving the plate back up to its former (and now illegal) position.

I think having the plate mounted on the swing arm and behind the wheel is the best place for it, but the Ducati forums seem to think otherwise. :shrug:

I think it's a really cool set up and wish my Scrambler Classic had it. I could always buy it separate, but I'm in no hurry.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Why move when we already have all the freedom you can handle here: http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cbr300r.aspx

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

They did a pretty stellar job on the diavel, too.

Only bike I can think of with a factory plate holder that isn't retarded.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Only bike I can think of with a factory plate holder that isn't retarded.

Too bad about the rest of the bike...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Too bad about the rest of the bike...

How's it feel to be so wrong?

:colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The Diavel is one of the very very few cruisers that looks good.

The other two I can think of being the Vmax and the new Indian Scout.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
I went for a 2400 mile road trip to Nova Scotia and all I got was this picture and some very soggy rain gear.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I went out to Nova Scotia once.

ONCE.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Chris Knight posted:

I went out to Nova Scotia once.

ONCE.

Yes, I fully understand that sentiment now. Still, was worth it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

JohnnyDangerously posted:

I went for a 2400 mile road trip to Nova Scotia and all I got was this picture and some very soggy rain gear.

:cabot:

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Went on a 50 mile trip today.

Pics:

Not bad for a $200 bike....

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That thing is rad as hell, awesome pics.

I did 400 today. I really need to do some comfort mods to this bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Handlebar or convertibars/helibars!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I just bought a drill press so I'll probably drill the triple and throw some sicknasty gold renthals on there :madmax:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M42 posted:

That thing is rad as hell, awesome pics.

I did 400 today. I really need to do some comfort mods to this bike.

:(

New battery's in the mail...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It was a longass ride, though. I think it took 270 miles to get to the area in the pic. Might be even more agonizing on a DRZ seat.

There are some really outstanding roads near the VA/WV border, it just takes so drat long to get out there. And the ride back is always awful cause you're beat to poo poo and exhausted.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Yeah, I just bought a drill press so I'll probably drill the triple and throw some sicknasty gold renthals on there :madmax:

I'd actually probably recommend these instead:
http://www.convertibars.com/

Just because the additional adjustability makes it easier to get it just right. I can pretty much ballpark my bend and comfort settings, but if I were doing it for the first time and planned on keeping the bike for quite awhile, I'd probably go with those due to the amount of adjustability. Getting a kit makes things easier, and it'll be about $100 more when it's all said and done after the rest of it. You'll use the 50mm kit and can get away with only getting a longer front brake lines - if you have 2 lines up to the master you'll need the double kit, otherwise you can get away with the single kit.

Don't let me stop you from getting legit with your drill press though. Pick up some titanium epoxy and fill the back of the triple once you've got the bolt through there too - if you coat it in vasoline/grease it shouldn't bond to the epoxy and you can grind it flat for the washer on the back of the back of the riser. :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 26, 2015

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

M42 posted:

It was a longass ride, though. I think it took 270 miles to get to the area in the pic. Might be even more agonizing on a DRZ seat.

There are some really outstanding roads near the VA/WV border, it just takes so drat long to get out there. And the ride back is always awful cause you're beat to poo poo and exhausted.

No kidding. Let's all move to Luray.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I worked in the area between Lexington, VA, and Lewisburg, WV, last fall. Absolutely beautiful. Wish I had taken a bike trip up for work one week. Cucci's Pizza in Covington is way better than it has any right to be. Make that your destination one weekend if you can.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

New bike (2015 FJ-09) next to old bike (2008 Ninja 650R)

The FJ is definitely smoother and a good bit faster. I never tried one of the 2014 FZ-09s with the notoriously bad ride by wire, but the throttle on the FJ isn't bad at all. It's a little grabby in standard mode in 1st gear, but I'm still a pretty new rider and don't have any issue with it. B mode is almost too subdued, though it would work well in wet conditions. The bike feels lighter than the Ninja despite them being around the same weight. I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and having found the height to be too problematic so far. I did take off the pillion grab handles after I banged the poo poo out of my shin on them getting my leg over.

Going to take it for a long ride to eastern Washington/Oregon in a couple of weeks, which will be my first multi-day motorcycle trip. Whee!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I hate all of you that have more money than I.

Why. Why?!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

KARMA! posted:

Why. Why?!

Why what?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Why is cat smiley named after a highway in nova scotia? It makes no sense!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

KARMA! posted:

Why is cat smiley named after a highway in nova scotia? It makes no sense!

A coincidence? Cabot was a cool 3 legged orange cat from the YOSPOS cat thread, owned by user Chickenoftomorrow. I just thought it was amusing coincidence of names. :shrug:

advion
Jul 25, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

New bike (2015 FJ-09) next to old bike (2008 Ninja 650R)

The FJ is definitely smoother and a good bit faster. I never tried one of the 2014 FZ-09s with the notoriously bad ride by wire, but the throttle on the FJ isn't bad at all. It's a little grabby in standard mode in 1st gear, but I'm still a pretty new rider and don't have any issue with it. B mode is almost too subdued, though it would work well in wet conditions. The bike feels lighter than the Ninja despite them being around the same weight. I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and having found the height to be too problematic so far. I did take off the pillion grab handles after I banged the poo poo out of my shin on them getting my leg over.

Going to take it for a long ride to eastern Washington/Oregon in a couple of weeks, which will be my first multi-day motorcycle trip. Whee!

We're almost twinsies I just bought an FZ-09 a few weeks ago and still have my 2006 650R. The difference is pretty drat dramatic as the FZ-09 is nice and smooth and the 650R is clunky. I'll turn the 650R into a track bike whenever I get our next bike but not sure what that will be or when.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Hi I have a really odd bike-

It's a 2003 F650CS, which is somehow an oddly styled street version of the F650GS. They only made the thing for a few years, so I guess the motorcycle public just wasn't ready for a commuting thumper. I've put about 6k miles on it over the last year or so, and it's a weird little bike but I'm pretty fond of it. This is test packing for my trip next week from San Francisco to South Bend- I figured if I had to get there, and I had to get the bike there, I might as well do it all at once.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Not to be creepy, but I've seen either your bike or one really loving close to it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Not to be creepy, but I've seen either your bike or one really loving close to it regularly.

I've been riding it all over SF for the last year and a half or so, that could be it