Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://www.cnet.com/news/frosty-reception-for-hidden-fees-on-uber-ice-cream-promo/

last year

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

great job, guys! this really promoted our jitney cab brand and really stuck it to the career, licensed/legal cab drivers. those fucks. loving fucks. mission a-fuckin-complished.

you just got ... ... disrupted!!!

those FILTHY cab drivers with their BAD ATTITUDES would never deliver me ice cream. heh. your move taxi unions

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

I remember when the first Delta Force game came out, swedish PC Gamer wrote a lot about it being the first fps or whatever to use voxels.

delta force got the engine from comanche though

which was about a stealth helicopter that was never actually produced

army still flys longbow apaches afaik

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"uber is good because cabs in New York don't pick up black people and they do" -my dad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

there were more comanche video games than comanche helicopters built

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Syncopated posted:

I remember when the first Delta Force game came out, swedish PC Gamer wrote a lot about it being the first fps or whatever to use voxels.

I remember playing that and spending a bunch of time examining the terrain and foliage to see what the big deal was

weren't voxels gonna be THE next big thing in game engines for a year or two in the mid 90s?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

I remember playing that and spending a bunch of time examining the terrain and foliage to see what the big deal was

weren't voxels gonna be THE next big thing in game engines for a year or two in the mid 90s?

yeah but it turned out they were too resource intensive at the time for much more than terrain deformation in RTSes

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

"uber is good because cabs in New York don't pick up black people and they do" -my dad

Nope! - real world experience

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Voxels were supposed to be better for the open terrain of Delta force, as opposed to polygons and closed corridors which I suppose Quake, Half-life and Unreal used

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Munkeymon posted:

this sort of gets drummed up for a few months every time someone has something voxel related to sell

fuuuuuuture of gaming

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

As a Millennial I posted:

can we please move on from my voxel embarrassment.

these voxels are making me thirsty!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

this is b/c the blacker peoples do not tend to tip

fortunately we can all not tip w/ uber

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

place my friends worked at got the ice cream last year, it was 5 store brand ice cream bars and cost $25

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
do they even use a cooler with ice to transport them or is it just a bunch of half-melted gooey messes by the time they arrive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

do they even use a cooler with ice to transport them or is it just a bunch of half-melted gooey messes by the time they arrive

I saw the delivery people, it was a pedicab with a cooler and what I assumed were summer interns in it, that or uber hires literal children

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

I saw the delivery people, it was a pedicab with a cooler and what I assumed were summer interns in it, that or uber hires literal children

"i'm working in the tech industry" - unpaid ice cream delivery bicycle boy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait. uber was sending people in pedicabs to deliver ice cream, to push their automobile-based jitney service? what the gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wait. uber was sending people in pedicabs to deliver ice cream, to push their automobile-based jitney service? what the gently caress

hehe, ice cream! so cool.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

the internet makes people pretty dumb

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

keyboard vomit posted:

the internet makes people pretty dumb

what are our words?

sheeit

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

prefect posted:

sid meier's alpha centauri used voxels :allears:

it did? :stare: how where? it's been a while

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Nope! - real world experience

...but...but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePAxy5PCeuk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mido posted:

it did? :stare: how where? it's been a while

the vehicle models were voxels. the terrain was just tiles. same with tiberian sun

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

the vehicle models were voxels. the terrain was just tiles. same with tiberian sun

that owns

I did some googling but didn't find good examples of this fact

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

syscall girl posted:

delta force was so sick. so loving sick. there was a koth map with a guard tower as the hill and you could prone on the top of the tower and basically not get shot easily, and it was hard to nade. then, you could knife ppl (1 shot kill) as they came up the ramp. also, that same map had a little water moat and you could shark ppl with the knife as most guns didnt work under water. amazing. epic. it had the good half-life style physics and animations that were abrupt and really funny. wow. just thinking about delta force gives me the good nostalgia feels. claymore in the enemy respawn. epic. just epic

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

A mass e-mail sent to new Uber drivers in New York City late last fall encouraged those drivers to "position" themselves in the "busiest areas of the city"—Manhattan below the north end of Central Park, plus a swath of Brooklyn from Greenpoint south to Park Slope—if they hoped to receive a "guaranteed" $5,000 for their first full month of driving.

The e-mail states: "If you are found avoiding busy areas, you will not be eligible for the guarantee."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

A mass e-mail sent to new Uber drivers in New York City late last fall encouraged those drivers to "position" themselves in the "busiest areas of the city"—Manhattan below the north end of Central Park, plus a swath of Brooklyn from Greenpoint south to Park Slope—if they hoped to receive a "guaranteed" $5,000 for their first full month of driving.

The e-mail states: "If you are found avoiding busy areas, you will not be eligible for the guarantee."

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my dad has also never been within 500 miles of New York

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
today some uber driver had taped upa lovely ad with free uber ride cards in a bus shelter so we ripped it off and threw it in the trash

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

today some uber driver had taped upa lovely ad with free uber ride cards in a bus shelter so we ripped it off and threw it in the trash

fishmech was right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nytimes posted:

in April, according to city data requisitioned from the company, of the roughly 76,000 New York City pickups Uber made on the average day, about 63,000 were in central Manhattan, from the city’s airports and in the most affluent precincts of Brooklyn. Fewer than 1,200 were made in the Bronx; only 37 were on Staten Island.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Lol. BTW:Staten island ftw

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

those FILTHY cab drivers with their BAD ATTITUDES would never deliver me ice cream. heh. your move taxi unions

sure if you want to take a CAB with some IRANIAN driving it talking about WHO KNOWS WHAT and the AC isnt even on!!!! christ! Probably funding al queda!!

*I* think i know which service *I* will be taking.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there were more comanche video games than comanche helicopters built

all i wanted to be when i was little was a comanche pilot because of these loving video games. us army could have had the sickest helicopter pilot in history but instead now im a cpa. gently caress

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

meet-and-gently caressbutt-sniff apps

http://barkhappy.com/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

Lol. BTW:Staten island ftw

i went to the first dem mayoral primary debate for nyc and they were doing a roll call of boroughs ("who here is from queens?" *applause*, etc.) and they got to staten island and maybe a dozen people in the 1500 seat town hall cheered and the rest of the audience audibly chortled

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

hehe, ice cream! so cool.

og poo poo i get it, ice cream is cold!!! gently caress me thats clever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

meet-and-gently caressbutt-sniff apps

http://barkhappy.com/

the whitest app

dogs actually don't give a gently caress whose butts they sniff

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

triple sulk posted:

http://newsroom.uber.com/2015/07/icecream2015/

uber drivers being turned into ice dream delivery workers

they were doing this in downtown Minneapolis yesterday, had some people down on the sidewalk handing out sunglasses and ice cream scoopers with little cards telling them about the uber ice cream thing

they were delivering izzys ice cream which is a really good local ice cream place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

also this morning there was a lyft driver parked on the street in front of my house for like an hour and a half. he had that stupid pink mustache on his dash.

• Locked thread