Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, this may because I was drunk during, but I was watching Transporter 3 (See:drunk) and was thinking, if you streamline and remove tank section of Batmobile, and keep the combat system (Not pred) it could be a good transporter game.

Sleeping Dogs. Just drive around doing Face missions, and pretend you're playing Transporter: Hong Kong.

E: But I don't disagree with you on the bat mobile working for it either, I was doing AR challenges with it earlier and thinking about how well done it was. My initial reaction of "oh god everything is now in the batmobile" disappeared really quickly after I got it, because the batmobile is really loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just finished the story tonight, is there any reason to do New Game Plus besides just for the sake of it/whatever achievement surely exists?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Epi Lepi posted:

Just finished the story tonight, is there any reason to do New Game Plus besides just for the sake of it/whatever achievement surely exists?

It's worth at least starting it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr E posted:

I just want a Nightwing game, he's my favorite :(.

I am right there with you, man. I at least would like to free roam as him. They let you free roam as Harley, Catwoman, Robin, and Batgirl. Dick deserves better!

If someone asked me to pull a sequence of panels that defines Batman, this might not be my #1 choice, but it's definitely top 5. Maybe even top 3. It really epitomizes the optimism behind the concept. I can't stop gushing over it. It reminds me of All-Star Superman's opening in how you just need those 3 panels to say everything.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

This stupid game made me realize that I only did the bare storyline of Arkham Origins and now I've started a new game of that :negative:

Game looks really janky (360) compared to Knight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr E posted:

I just want a Nightwing game, he's my favorite :(.

General public doesn't knows poo poo about Bludhaven and no one wants to make a game about DC's Jersey. They could probably make up a lot of poo poo that no one would care to argue about, but it'd be putting in the work to make a digital Jersey and probably fall back into Final Crisis, Chemo destroying the city and Battle of Bludhaven territory. But it would be interesting if they showed Grayson between his cop life and his suit life, if anyone ever wanted to put in the time.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Great, now I'm picturing a Nightwing game in a city they can go do whatever they want with, with LA Noire-style investigations as a cop part of the time. :colbert:

I've held off on completing the story this time, every other Arkham game I've started NG+ with the intention of getting all the riddler trophies, then played for a bit and stopped. This time I'm 100%ing my batman game. Just finished up Miagani and Bleaker island, I'm at about 150 down.

surc fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 24, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ah, Bludhaven. What i wouldn't give for some nightwing dlc where you play through a small section of Bludhaven.

And not get chumped by Quinn.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

chaosapiant posted:

I'm a big fan of "The Long Halloween" and "Hush."
I recently picked up Hush because the Hush storyline in the Arkham games was pretty intriguing: a surgeon and childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's goes so insane with rage and jealousy that his parents weren't murdered so he could get their money that he starts killing to literally turn himself into Bruce Wayne in order to take his place? Sounds good, very psychological and noir-y.

Hush the comic is, uh... not at all like that.

It's a gratuitous excuse for Batman to have fight after fight against foes (Joker, Harley, Killer Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow) and friends (Superman, Catwoman, "Jason Todd"), with Hush showing up for like eight pages near the end only to get shot and fall off a bridge after Batman retardedly refuses to accept the great honking neon signs saying who he really is.

Hush: Hi, Bruce. Stick a needle in your eye, look at this pendant of my mother's I'm wearing and remember how I used to beat you at chess and wargames as a kid.
Batman: Who are you?
Hush: What? Bruce, I'm YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND THOMAS ELLIOT.
Batman: No! Thomas Elliot is dead!
Hush: That was Clayface, dumbass. You had a fight with him literally an hour ago where he was disguised as your dead friend Jason Todd. You remember? I paid him to imitate me in order to gently caress with you. I AM THOMAS ELLIOT. Seriously. Even though I'm whispering for some reason.
Batman: I don't believe you!
Harvey Dent: No, he's telling the truth. I have notarised proof, witnesses, I'll even admit to working with him too...
Batman: Tommy was a good kid! He was my friend. And he's dead. Definitely dead.
Jim Gordon: :negative:

It's bollocks, and the art's over-rated too.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 24, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

It's bollocks
Welcome to the world of Jeph Loeb comicbooking.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Payndz posted:

I recently picked up Hush because the Hush storyline in the Arkham games was pretty intriguing: a surgeon and childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's goes so insane with rage and jealousy that his parents weren't murdered so he could get their money that he starts killing to literally turn himself into Bruce Wayne in order to take his place? Sounds good, very psychological and noir-y.

Hush the comic is, uh... not at all like that.

It's a gratuitous excuse for Batman to have fight after fight against foes (Joker, Harley, Killer Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow) and friends (Superman, Catwoman, "Jason Todd"), with Hush showing up for like eight pages near the end only to get shot and fall off a bridge after Batman retardedly refuses to accept the great honking neon signs saying who he really is.

Hush: Hi, Bruce. Stick a needle in your eye, look at this pendant of my mother's I'm wearing and remember how I used to beat you at chess and wargames as a kid.
Batman: Who are you?
Hush: What? Bruce, I'm YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND THOMAS ELLIOT.
Batman: No! Thomas Elliot is dead!
Hush: That was Clayface, dumbass. You had a fight with him literally an hour ago where he was disguised as your dead friend Jason Todd. You remember? I paid him to imitate me in order to gently caress with you. I AM THOMAS ELLIOT. Seriously. Even though I'm whispering for some reason.
Batman: I don't believe you!
Harvey Dent: No, he's telling the truth. I have notarised proof, witnesses, I'll even admit to working with him too...
Batman: Tommy was a good kid! He was my friend. And he's dead. Definitely dead.
Jim Gordon: :negative:

It's bollocks, and the art's over-rated too.

If you don't think Batman having a secret underwater bat tunnel in Metropolis with Kryptonite stored in it just in case Superman attacks him in Metropolis and forces him underwater then you don't understand Batman and have no soul. :colbert:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

chaosapiant posted:

If you don't think Batman having a secret underwater bat tunnel in Metropolis with Kryptonite stored in it just in case Superman attacks him in Metropolis and forces him underwater then you don't understand Batman and have no soul. :colbert:

The only thing you really need to understand about Batman is that he's thought of, and planned accordingly for, every single situation ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

The only thing you really need to understand about Batman is that he's thought of, and planned accordingly for, every single situation ever.

Not true. He never panned for "what if I get over my parent's death?"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Dangle his parents coffins over a Lazarus pit

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

"YOU'RE NOT MY DAD"
* Slams Thomas Wayne's face into an electrical box *

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
He's already self programmed into his own mind several alternate batsonas that will do the job for him, if not more violently than others. Actually that would be an interesting else world, Bruce Wayne settles down and actually starts a family like Alfred always wanted, but occasionally disappears while a certain Zur-En-Arrg beats the poo poo out of crime. Is it him, is the Bruce we see just a look-alike to play the part while our Bruce never stops being batman? Read on to find out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm probably the unpopular opinion in this case, but I really don't like the whole "Batman has contingency plans for literally everyone" thing, because that's basically giving him a superpower which I feel goes against the character.

Is it fine for Batman to have some Kryptonite if Superman goes rogue? Sure. Should he have, like, a super suit that has miniature stars implanted into the knuckles that let him beat the crap out of Superman in a head on fight? No way.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm probably the unpopular opinion in this case, but I really don't like the whole "Batman has contingency plans for literally everyone" thing, because that's basically giving him a superpower which I feel goes against the character.

Is it fine for Batman to have some Kryptonite if Superman goes rogue? Sure. Should he have, like, a super suit that has miniature stars implanted into the knuckles that let him beat the crap out of Superman in a head on fight? No way.

:agreed:

I'm not saying it's good, but it seems to be a running thing. Just because the good guys usually win in comics.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I expect a guy who has more master's degrees than a single person can have in a lifetime to have most if not all bases covered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You can't really have Batman without superpowers. Even without planning he's still a genius at multiple things, including a world-class chemist and scientist in addition to being one of the top martial artists in the world where 'top martial artist' is an actual superpower that lets you do absurd things.

The Nolan films are probably the closest to what you describe where Batman is just a reasonably talented fighter who depends on other people to do everything else for him.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

You can't really have Batman without superpowers. Even without planning he's still a genius at multiple things, including a world-class chemist and scientist in addition to being one of the top martial artists in the world where 'top martial artist' is an actual superpower that lets you do absurd things.

The Nolan films are probably the closest to what you describe where Batman is just a reasonably talented fighter who depends on other people to do everything else for him.

I'm reminded of this fun article I read years ago that tried to realistically figure out how long Batman could live the life he does. It was something like 6 months - 1 year before succumbing to his nightly beatings and sleep deprivation. It was kinda cool because there was some doctors and poo poo that put work into it, it wasn't just blustering on internet blogs.

In searching for it, I also found Scientific American article that was put out back in 2008 which discusses how a "real life" Batman could exist. It's kinda cool.

In both cases, they kinda just assume he wouldn't be shot and killed, but whatever.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

chaosapiant posted:

I bought Earth One at the same time as Hush, and much preferred it because Batman really is "just a guy" rather than a Machiavellian super-genius who's literally the best in the world at anything he turns his hand to. A guy with a shitload of money, admittedly, but it was refreshing to see him as a man in a dumb costume to whom a handful of moderately competent opponents pose a serious danger and who gets schooled by one-legged SAS veteran Alfred for being a dumbass fantasist who can't move past his childhood trauma.

But then, I don't like superpowered characters in general, and don't want Superman and his ilk showing up every five minutes in mah comix about a man who dresses like a bat to punch muggers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JetsGuy posted:

I'm reminded of this fun article I read years ago that tried to realistically figure out how long Batman could live the life he does. It was something like 6 months - 1 year before succumbing to his nightly beatings and sleep deprivation. It was kinda cool because there was some doctors and poo poo that put work into it, it wasn't just blustering on internet blogs.

In searching for it, I also found Scientific American article that was put out back in 2008 which discusses how a "real life" Batman could exist. It's kinda cool.

In both cases, they kinda just assume he wouldn't be shot and killed, but whatever.

There's a book called "Becoming Batman" which is similarly in-depth about this stuff. I bought it on a whim but it seems to assume you know a poo poo ton about biology, etc, beforehand. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can live with like a little black book of plans that he hasn't fully enacted yet or isn't sure he should really do, but preplanning isn't a problem. It's the scope and range that writers go with it that turns him from having a good selection of contingencies, which is entirely debatable as we're in a world where Gods, Monsters and Aliens exist and have hosed poo poo up on earth multiple times, to being able to predict anything and everything. Batman should have plans, but not perfect precognition of when to use them or has put them in place so far ahead of time that there isn't even time to be problem.

Of course, the flip side of this is that more experienced Batman is in the narrative, the odder it is to ever find him completely off guard or not on the ball in some way. It's fine in video games or stories where its near Year One, but the older he gets, the more we expect him to have a selection tricks in his belt for just such an occasion.

As for something almost unrelated to Batman, there really should be a Shadow Of Mordor meets God of War style game for Wonder Woman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someone on another website posted some information about one of the Arkham novels. A few details are neat and should've been in the main game, but some are... well, you'll see.

-Wolfman doesn't seem to be familiar with the plot of previous Arkham games, since Hugo Strange is casually mentioned to be alive and even gets captured by the GCPD offscreen. It doesn't really affect the novel though.
-Apparently, there are still a good number of regular citizens in the city who weren't able to get out in time, as opposed to the game where the only civilians left are those held captive by the villains. They don't play much of a role though.
-Unlike in the game, Batman talks to the Joker hallucination every time he shows up. Joker keeps pointing out to Batman that he keeps acknowledging him even though he knows he's not real, but Batman can't seem to help himself.
-Ivy claims that she rejected Scarecrow's plan because she didn't see how destroying a city could help her plants.
-The fact that attacking Batman with unmanned drones gives him an advantage is brought up, and Batman speculates that they intend him to beat them, and they just want to drag out his suffering or to draw him into a more effective trap.
-For some reason, Albert King is replaced by a man named Albert Rogers, and he's simply said to have been shot in an attempted robbery.
-Oddly, the flashback where Batman shows Gordon the Joker-infected he has at Panessa is said to be a dream, and Batman never actually did so.
-When Batman meets with Jim at the clock tower, he also tells Jim that Barbara was Batgirl. Jim doesn't take it well.
-Instead of vanishing after Barbara is kidnapped, Jim goes back to the GCPD, and there are several scenes with him there before he gets captured at the Militia's mall base.
-Stagg says that the Cloudburst was created to seed clouds over deserts.
-Barbara's body disappears after she shoots herself, letting Batman know that it wasn't real. But he's so messed up by the fear toxin and Joker's blood, he's not sure if he's still alive.
-Tim Drake actually wasn't working on a cure at Panessa, and he meets Batman outside of the studio after Harley Quinn takes it over. We're not told what he was doing beforehand.
-After capturing Jason, Joker announced that he would kill him if the citizens of Gotham City voted for it, although Bruce knows that he was going to do it no matter what. Cute Mythology Gag.
-Jason is said to have disappeared three years ago, and he claims that's how long he was held captive by the Joker, instead of the one year given in the game.
-Scarecrow told the federal authorities that if they did anything to oppose him, he'd unleash enough fear toxin to cover ten square miles, giving an explanation other than apathy for the lack of National Guard.
-Scarecrow says that Joker told him that he infected Batman with his blood, and Scarecrow prepared a special toxin to help exacerbate its effects.
-Gordon had Crime Alley renamed to "Wayne Way".

Alright, I can admit, that was a pretty good moment.

Crabtree posted:

I can live with like a little black book of plans that he hasn't fully enacted yet or isn't sure he should really do, but preplanning isn't a problem. It's the scope and range that writers go with it that turns him from having a good selection of contingencies, which is entirely debatable as we're in a world where Gods, Monsters and Aliens exist and have hosed poo poo up on earth multiple times, to being able to predict anything and everything. Batman should have plans, but not perfect precognition of when to use them or has put them in place so far ahead of time that there isn't even time to be problem.

Of course, the flip side of this is that more experienced Batman is in the narrative, the odder it is to ever find him completely off guard or not on the ball in some way. It's fine in video games or stories where its near Year One, but the older he gets, the more we expect him to have a selection tricks in his belt for just such an occasion.

I can agree with that. I just don't like the idea of Batman having an instant "I win" button because of pre-planning, especially if it's offscreen planning.

Serious question, is there any reason why Batman has contigencies to render Superman unable to fight but he doesn't set up any kind of plan or method for his own rogues? :psyduck:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I really liked that one JLA comic where aliens attack and quickly overwhelm the Justice League because they somehow know all their weaknesses. Turns out they got a hold of Batman's secret "in case I need to take out the rest of Justice League" contingency plan.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Serious question, is there any reason why Batman has contigencies to render Superman unable to fight but he doesn't set up any kind of plan or method for his own rogues? :psyduck:
Most of his rouges are still just dudes/dudettes who Bats feels he can handle off the cuff when needed. Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash--those all pose much higher physical and super-y threats. Aquaman has one just so he won't feel bad when they all find out about said plans.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I really liked that one JLA comic where aliens attack and quickly overwhelm the Justice League because they somehow know all their weaknesses. Turns out they got a hold of Batman's secret "in case I need to take out the rest of Justice League" contingency plan.
I think you're combining the first arc of Morrison's JLA (New World Order) and Waid's Ra's-centric Tower of Babel arc. Maybe I've just forgotten things!

Still a cool line from NWO: "He's just a man!"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hulk Krogan posted:

Or JLA:Tower of Babel or the whole OMAC/Brother Eye. Batman's kind of like an overly competent intelligence agency, if anyone found out the secrets and data he has on everyone, even himself, poo poo can go very very south.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

The entire plot of the War Games story is that someone got ahold of Batman's plan to wipe out all organized crime in Gotham and put it into effect.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

The entire plot of the War Games story is that someone got ahold of Batman's plan to wipe out all organized crime in Gotham and put it into effect.
Poor Steph. :(

Thanks for this!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
His counter for Green Arrow is a trademark infringement C&D.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

I think you're combining the first arc of Morrison's JLA (New World Order) and Waid's Ra's-centric Tower of Babel arc. Maybe I've just forgotten things!

Still a cool line from NWO: "He's just a man!"

Ah, yeah. I think you're right. It's been a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The War Games plan got hosed up because the person initiated it not knowing that an integral part of the plan, Matches Malone, was actually Batman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It makes sense when you're in the bigger world of the Justice League since it justifies him being there. Batman being the master tactician among a bunch of gods keeps him from falling into the Hawkeye-in-the-Avengers pitfall. When you're just dealing with Batman's world without anyone else from the wider universe, I prefer him to be a masterful detective who is fallible and not an 11th dimensional chess player. In the Arkham games he seems like a cross between Morrison's BatGod and Miller's brutal-as-gently caress Batman.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Batman actually had those viruses written way back when he was just Vic Stone on the off chance that someday he might become a cyborg.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone on another website posted some information about one of the Arkham novels. A few details are neat and should've been in the main game, but some are... well, you'll see.

Haha, that's Golden. That is really something you should say out loud to hear how ridiculous it sounds.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I imagine he probably would have tactical plans for fighting each of his regular enemies which could be as simple as "gently caress up Bane's venom tube" or "break Scarecrow's fingers so he can't trigger gas" or complex analysis of their combat abilities.

I agree in general with the idea that Batman shouldn't be prepared for literally every single situation, but I also love the idea of Batman in the middle of work on some case suddenly realizing that if Joker and Mr. Freeze ever decided to work together they could make poison snow. He sighs and starts a new contingency file.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's nothing particularly special about most of his rogues that just KOing them won't solve. Clayface, Ivy and Freeze are the rarer exceptions.

A lot of the "Prep for everything" Batman mentality was kickstarted with the JLA: Tower of Babel storyline, where he laid out specific plans to neutralize the JLA, mostly because if one of them went rogue, it would be really loving hard to stop them.

And in all honesty, the only really super-intricate plan from Tower of Babel was the Flash. Superman was "use kryptonite on him", Wonder Woman's was to exploit her psychological profile, he set Martian Manhunter on fire, shattered Plastic Man, GL was exploited using his psychological profile, and made Aquaman scared of water. Flash involved some special bullet attuned to his internal frequencies or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hold up a second. Are you telling me that the street's actual official name is "Crime Alley"? That's not just something people call it?

• Locked thread