Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Hadlock posted:

More and more games are multithread aware and in fact quad core is generally the minimum reccomended spec for most AAA going forward.

Cities Skylines will use as many cores as you can throw at it, all that pathing for the (up to) 40,000 cars eats up a ton of CPU.

Jesus Christ :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I swear to god on an i3 2100T 2 core 4 thread CPU, my computer seems like it's gonna explode by the time I get to 60,000 cims.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, by comparison, my first gen 2010 era i5 starts to chug around 150,000 cims. If you like simulation games and are eyeing a new CPU, you should probably be weighing the value of adding more cores. New sim games of all types are always multithreaded these days simply because they benefit so strongly from it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

What kills me is that there isn't a single benchmark for Cities: Skylines out there on the web. You'd think people would want to know if the extra $100 on an i7 get you a 2x increase in performance or not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Post your savegame to steam workshop.
Install this mod - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407683828
Run cities skylines @ 1080p in ultra/highest
Report back your framerate, post your workshop savegame

Someone else here with a modern i5 and i7 can chime in on their framerate given the same resolution/quality settings

I think the savegame even saves your camera height/angle/rotation so it should be a good apples to apples comparison.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hadlock posted:

i5 is generally a good choice in general, and if you can afford it (going against the advice of the pc part picking megathread) the i7 generally buys you an additional 1.5 generations worth of power over the comparable i5 which allows you to future-proof a bit.

I assume you have some benchmarks to prove that hyperthreading actually gives a significant performance benefit in... well anything?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

eggyolk posted:

What kills me is that there isn't a single benchmark for Cities: Skylines out there on the web. You'd think people would want to know if the extra $100 on an i7 get you a 2x increase in performance or not.
Its an iterative process since performance is directly tied to population. So a real benchmark would be searching for breakpoints where pathfinding starts to impact framerate. Even with its sales numbers its still a relatively niche use to justify a organized benchmark looking for save games of the right size.

The good news is the scuttlebutt around release was that an i7 gets properly utilized allowing cities bigger than 150k (which jives with the pathfinding being ripped out of an employee's civil engineering post grad work - good academic stuff will gobble down cores). The bad news is the RCI starts coming apart at the seams at that size so people end up frustrated with any cities bigger than that anyway.

The neutral news is a city that big is already a 30-50 hour investment so you need to really love cities to get in the realm where an i7 is better.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, by comparison, my first gen 2010 era i5 starts to chug around 150,000 cims. If you like simulation games and are eyeing a new CPU, you should probably be weighing the value of adding more cores. New sim games of all types are always multithreaded these days simply because they benefit so strongly from it.

the prophecy has been fulfilled:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've played for 60+ hours and I've yet to have a big enough city that it impacts performance in any meaningful way. The game is probably more than sufficiently optimized for 90% of the audience.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the prophecy has been fulfilled:

It was bound to happen eventually. It just took, uh, 9 years for software development to catch up with advances in what was once high end consumer hardware.

Too bad Intel still rocks AMD's socks off, even at (especially at) multicore gaming.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does anyone have a recommended video series on how to design and handle traffic? I know there's been tons of discussions, but I'd like something I can use as a reference and keep going back to.

Thanks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lorini posted:

Does anyone have a recommended video series on how to design and handle traffic? I know there's been tons of discussions, but I'd like something I can use as a reference and keep going back to.

Thanks.
Not a video and doesn't document all the one weird trick - traffic light manufacturers hate him stuff that can be abused, but the best way to start is by mimicking real life traffic patterns and this Imgur album goes into the basics: http://imgur.com/gallery/WdJim

e. alternately google map stuff you personally know that works in real life. Be careful not to google map stuff that doesn't work.

ee. Finally if you hate yourself and interesting traffic patterns this bullshit works and is an explicit guide. Only cost: a little piece of your traffic soul. https://imgur.com/a/LuzAc

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 14, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

why the gently caress does the asset/interchange editor not work anymore. Clicking the roads icon does nothing.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

so i'm really poo poo at road design

i've done something horribly wrong, it's just figuring out what

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ThePutty posted:

Concord Heights looks like it has exactly one road going in and out of it. And apparently everyone wants to go there.
Try giving them more ways to get there.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

nielsm posted:

Concord Heights looks like it has exactly one road going in and out of it. And apparently everyone wants to go there.
Try giving them more ways to get there.

i've got another road around the other side, but the issue is that there's a massive mountain that i can't build any roads down. should i look into more public transport to reduce the load of cars? i've already got a pretty large subway system and a bus system as well, but that's probably congesting it even more

i'm trying to go for style over design, so maybe i just have to deal with the traffic

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Drop a tunnel on it.

Maybe make that highway turn right instead of terminate and either replace or parallel the 6 lane throughfare as an express route into Concord Heights.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh yeah that map. I'd just build another access road and switchback the gently caress out of it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
If anyone is look for some low density Euro homes to replace the unmodified stock ones in Euro theme maps, this is now available:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=482273700

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThePutty posted:

Can you push a tunnel from that roundabout up in the top under the mountain into concord heights?

Also, I'd run the road in the top left directly around an into the road along the bottom. Right now you're having cars navigate a bunch of pointless intersections and turns.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I've learned that having a clear chain of Outside Connection -> Industrial -> Commercial -> Residential zoning fixes traffic problems. Mixing it up causes huge problems.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Anybody have any map recommendations that blend well with the 81 tile unlocker mod? Most of the maps i've found only puts much emphasis on the center 25 tiles with the surrounding area being mountains or ocean or a bland endless sea of trees.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
If the game (or maybe mod) implement traffic like this, it'd be great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrAMO1GgOc

quote:

Drivers perform illegal u-turns to get off the M1

Northamptonshire Police have released footage of motorists performing illegal u-turns off the M1 on to a slip road. The CCTV footage dates from 5 July at junction 18, as cars approached a large queue of traffic. PC Dave Lee from the tactical roads policing unit said the drivers were "behaving ridiculously". He said people joining the motorway from the slip road were not expecting cars coming the other way "These drivers were not only putting their own lives at risk, they were risking the lives of everyone heading down that slip road," he said. Officers are investigating the footage to see what further action should be taken.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there any custom maps you'd suggest? I've been playing on McKinleyville and Raerei Cove and I really like how their terrain forces me to abandon a grid-based streetplan. Basically good maps that aren't plains.

Also, upgrading streets can create some very interesting situations:

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 22, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Are there any mods/is there any way to outright overwrite a vanilla asset with a modded one? Given the number of vehicle assets out on the workshop now, I'd love to be able to start just replacing stuff like the hot dog van rather than having all these new cars and trucks running alongside that thing.

e: PERIOD

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 22, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'd like something that tells me what the most resource intensive mods and assets are because these loading times are getting crazy.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Are there any mods/is there any way to outright overwrite a vanilla asset with a modded one? Given the number of vehicle assets out on the workshop now, I'd love to be able to start just replacing stuff like the hot dog van rather than having all these new cars and trucks running alongside that thing,

Advanced Vehicle Options lets you pick which cars should spawn and which should not. Just make sure you have at least one of each type (police car, ambulance, fire engine etc.) activated, and you should be good to go. You can save a "profile", which then gets applied at all times it seems. You can also change various stats of cars via the same mod, i.e. speed, capacity (for public transport) etc., and you can replace the last car on trains with another engine, which looks really lovely.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Westminster System posted:

I'd like something that tells me what the most resource intensive mods and assets are because these loading times are getting crazy.

All of the mods which impact the simulation, i.e. Traffic++, are the only mods which should heavily affect performance. You should also look through your downloaded assets and prune anything larger than 10mb, and even larger than 5 can be pushing it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Westminster System posted:

Time to get an SSD :getin:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Is there a mod that automatically lays down waterpipes?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I finally made a city that didn't succumb to traffic woes. While my city was big curvy and unique, there were so many repeat buildings. The plastic aesthetic kills me. :smith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I made a boring as poo poo rectangular hellcity but it at least finally got to the 100,000 (?) mark where all the high-density stuff became available. Mostly on account of being built on a map with a nice initial highway connection with ramps on both sides. The small side got all the industrial poo poo which then got turned into shiny offices and high-density commercial buildings.

The problem is, while my downtown high-rise residential core is all fully-upgraded and shiny, every single office block is stuck at development level 2 of 3. Apparently they all "need more services" but I have all of the major municipal services in abundance already? What gives?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr Dog posted:

I made a boring as poo poo rectangular hellcity but it at least finally got to the 100,000 (?) mark where all the high-density stuff became available. Mostly on account of being built on a map with a nice initial highway connection with ramps on both sides. The small side got all the industrial poo poo which then got turned into shiny offices and high-density commercial buildings.

The problem is, while my downtown high-rise residential core is all fully-upgraded and shiny, every single office block is stuck at development level 2 of 3. Apparently they all "need more services" but I have all of the major municipal services in abundance already? What gives?

You need... more of them. It's really really stupid but sometimes you just have to build redundant services to get office to upgrade. It's way better now than it was previous patches though. Don't go spamming police stations, but do make sure the office has EVERYTHING in range, including schools and hospitals. They love metro stops too. Sometimes it's tied to land value as well. Sometimes it's just a weird loving mystery and you keep building your city and suddenly you notice your office is finally upgrading to level 3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the green halo that shows up on roads when you're placing a building doesn't cover a building, it won't receive benefit from that service for the purposes of upgrades.

Office buildings love mass transit so spam bus stops and subways to try and get over the bump.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Baronjutter posted:

You need... more of them. . . including schools and hospitals.

Needing to place elementary schools and high schools in office parks is really frustrating.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just rename them to technical schools. Bam. Immersion restored.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hollow Talk posted:

Advanced Vehicle Options lets you pick which cars should spawn and which should not. Just make sure you have at least one of each type (police car, ambulance, fire engine etc.) activated, and you should be good to go. You can save a "profile", which then gets applied at all times it seems. You can also change various stats of cars via the same mod, i.e. speed, capacity (for public transport) etc., and you can replace the last car on trains with another engine, which looks really lovely.

Thank you! It certainly helps out with what I'm trying to do. Is there a prop-swapper out there, by chance? I know I can carve out unique building themes now, but there's some generic props I'd really like to swap to another model.

Trying to see if I can make something that more closely resembles a postwar, '40s-'50s-early-'60s sort of town. Enough vehicles are on the workshop now to starting smooshing together an assortment of vehicles from the '30s to the '60s, and building themes can be set, but then I still sperg out about streetlights on the roads and the random satellite dishes that pop up on buildings.

Also also, is it possible to change the start date?

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Beautiful.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Section 31 posted:

Beautiful.

I swear I have the exact same configuration in one of my maps. Go go turbine interchanges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

oh god i hosed up i hosed up

I didn't notice that my health services were spread thin until I looked back over my city and noticed blocks of sick people. I have an obscene amount of money, so I've been laying down a bunch of hospitals near the most illness-afflicted neighborhoods. Even though my heal capacity is now greater than the number of sick people in my city, the sick population is still increasing. If I'm willing to pump bajillions of moneys into dealing with the problem, what's the best thing to do at this point?