Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else see Rick Santorum on Rachel Maddow tonight? He just straight up says that the Supreme Court isn't the final adjudicator of a laws constitutionality and that the other branches are free to ignore their rulings and "pass whatever they want".

http://on.msnbc.com/1IjQI9d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Oh good, I always wanted to see a presidential candidate strangled on live television by the vengeful revenant of John Marshall.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah, Presidents should just ignore the Supreme Court when it rules the government is violating the Bill of Rights, let the court try to enforce it.

That never had any horrifying outcome historically, or anything.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh good, I always wanted to see a presidential candidate strangled on live television by the vengeful revenant of John Marshall.

:allears:

It's quotes like this that keep me coming back to these forums.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
John Roberts has made his decision now let him enforce it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, Presidents should just ignore the Supreme Court when it rules the government is violating the Bill of Rights, let the court try to enforce it.

That never had any horrifying outcome historically, or anything.

Forgive my ignorance, but, any example of this really blatantly happening? I know there's the governor of Alabama standing in the doorway of a school, but president examples?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

alnilam posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but, any example of this really blatantly happening? I know there's the governor of Alabama standing in the doorway of a school, but president examples?

Presidential candidates saying they would as President, in the true Jacksonian tradition.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I don't think they understand that Jackson probably never said that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

alnilam posted:

Jackson and Lincoln both blatantly ignored Supreme Court decisions. Jackson regarding Indian relocation and Lincoln regarding Habeus Corpus.

It is apocryphally said that Jackson specifically said "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it." Seeing as he didn't threaten to hang John Marshall or challenge him to a duel, the quote is questionably Jacksonian.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Jackson and Lincoln both blatantly ignored Supreme Court decisions. Jackson regarding Indian relocation and Lincoln regarding Habeus Corpus.

Before becoming President, Lincoln also more or less explicitly argued the "Supreme Court isn't the final adjudicator" position in response to the Dred Scott decision, I believe. (This also places the habeus corpus thing in an understandable context; after a decision as bad as Dred Scott, respect for the Supreme Court was naturally at a pretty low ebb.)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Silver2195 posted:

Before becoming President, Lincoln also more or less explicitly argued the "Supreme Court isn't the final adjudicator" position in response to the Dred Scott decision, I believe. (This also places the habeus corpus thing in an understandable context; after a decision as bad as Dred Scott, respect for the Supreme Court was naturally at a pretty low ebb.)

Plus the whole States having a Civil War thing. :razz:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Gyges posted:

It is apocryphally said that Jackson specifically said "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it." Seeing as he didn't threaten to hang John Marshall or challenge him to a duel, the quote is questionably Jacksonian.

It wasn't actually a Supreme Court case that Lincoln ignored, although that's a pretty common misconception. Ex parte Merryman was actually a Federal circuit court ruling, but the circuit court was headed by Chief Justice Taney. Justices also being part of the normal Federal Court structure was apparently not that uncommon back in the day. The case never made it to the actual Supreme Court.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Plus, Lincoln and all of these politicians are right. The Supreme Court is not the final decision, the Constitution is and any legislator that has an issue with a Supreme Court decision can create a constitutional amendment to fix it.

But I have always wondered; what happens if two parts of the Constitution contradict each other?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Plus, Lincoln and all of these politicians are right. The Supreme Court is not the final decision, the Constitution is and any legislator that has an issue with a Supreme Court decision can create a constitutional amendment to fix it.

But I have always wondered; what happens if two parts of the Constitution contradict each other?

The Supreme Court decides which one wins.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What do you mean? New amendments obviously supersede older ones since we have ones that completely change the way elections are handled and one that repeals a previous amendment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What if we write an amendment to repeal each State's equal suffrage in the Senate without requiring that State's consent, what then.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Presumably the state in question is hosed because 3/4 of the rest of them hate them that much.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
More fun would be if the National Interstate Popular Vote Compact went into effect. I bet the Court would strike it down but still allow states to adhere to it voluntarily anyway, while pointing out in reality that it was Constitutionally voluntary to begin with, setting a record for most unfalsifiable Supreme Court opinion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What is the difference between a state passing a law and a state doing that thing voluntarily.

Isn't passing laws how states generally voluntarily do things like decide how to allocate Electors.

VVVV
Ah I see

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 24, 2015

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

What is the difference between a state passing a law and a state doing that thing voluntarily.

Isn't passing laws how states generally voluntarily do things like decide how to allocate Electors.

Yeah but they're not allowed to enter into compacts. But there's no way to say they can't coincidentally act as though they had entered into a compact for the purposes of how to allocate electors because how to do so is at their discretion. It does matter in this case though because the NIPVC is a clever way to try to get the popular vote to determine the Presdient by saying that once enough states sign up to determine the Presdient with their combined electors, they'll all choose the, based on the popular vote. Without the threshold probably no or few states would allocate electors based on the national popular vote no matter how much people lobbied for it.

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 24, 2015

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Comrade Cosmobot posted this in the USPol thread and I figure I'd put it past the specific thread to discuss it, because in light of the (apparent) traction that ridiculous Planned Parenthood video got I'm wondering how this particular potential 5-4 decision will lean. If they even bother to take it up.

The pleading of the 3 appeals judges is particularly chilling.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also the entire court was Southern and slave holding. Lincoln should have executed all of them for treason, as there were links to murder plots from the Chief Justice angry that Lincoln had dared to consider arresting him.

Despite Thomas and Scalia on the current court, this SCOTUS has come a long way, I hope it improves, and not regress the progress it has made in just the last eight years.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 24, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

whitey delenda est posted:

Comrade Cosmobot posted this in the USPol thread and I figure I'd put it past the specific thread to discuss it, because in light of the (apparent) traction that ridiculous Planned Parenthood video got I'm wondering how this particular potential 5-4 decision will lean. If they even bother to take it up.

Kennedy is pretty anti-abortion so I could see him striking it down. At that point the best we can hope for is that the dissent begins with: "[conservative justices], do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

whitey delenda est posted:

Since there doesn't seem to be a circuit court split (yet, anyway), would the Supreme Court be likely to take this issue up though? Is a circuit court asking for a certain case to be reconsidered ever enough justification for it to be heard by the Supremes?

OTOH they only need 4 votes to grant cert, and I'm sure there's 4 Justices who would love a chance at overturning Roe.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Roberts Pendulum giveth and the Roberts Pendulum taketh away and it's given quite a bit recently :smith:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

John Roberts has made his decision now let him enforce it.

"The Court is trying to kill me, Mr. Matthews, but I will kill it!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Even if the conservative justices granted cert, there is no way that the court overturns Roe.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And that case is pretty blatantly settled law, and they've refused to take similar cases before.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even if the conservative justices granted cert, there is no way that the court overturns Roe.

Roe is based on a "penumbra" of the Bill of Rights - privacy. Privacy rights seem like a quaint notion of late. It's particularly interesting in that the government may have full knowledge of every medical procedure that is covered by an insurer - especially with Obamacare in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if the liberal judges granted cert in order to put reproductive choice on a more solid footing.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

patentmagus posted:

Roe is based on a "penumbra" of the Bill of Rights - privacy. Privacy rights seem like a quaint notion of late. It's particularly interesting in that the government may have full knowledge of every medical procedure that is covered by an insurer - especially with Obamacare in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if the liberal judges granted cert in order to put reproductive choice on a more solid footing.

That would happen to so much gnashing of teeth from the dissent that it would make obergefell look like lockjaw

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

patentmagus posted:

Liberal judges aren't going to chance that unless they know for certain that they'll win.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Roe's the paradigmatic example of a good(ish) outcome by way of lousy constitutional doctrine.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Discendo Vox posted:

Roe's the paradigmatic example of a good(ish) outcome by way of lousy constitutional doctrine.
And to be clear, if Roe were overturned abortion would very likely be legal in most places regardless. Public opinion has shifted a lot since the 70s, and basically every other democracy has arrived at legalizing abortion despite having to vote on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShadowHawk posted:

And to be clear, if Roe were overturned abortion would very likely be legal in most places regardless. Public opinion has shifted a lot since the 70s, and basically every other democracy has arrived at legalizing abortion national health care systems, properly-applied taxation and social support transfer payments, and arms control legislation despite having to vote on it.

Yeah there's a lot of poo poo the civilized world has gotten around to that the US has utterly failed to.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah there's a lot of poo poo the civilized world has gotten around to that the US has utterly failed to.

Also, "most places" leaves out a lot of people. Even today, states are still putting roadblocks into effect that shut down all but a few clinics. In a country without Roe v. Wade, you would see millions of people without access to the service unless they are willing and able to hop a state or more away to have it done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fuschia tude posted:

Also, "most places" leaves out a lot of people. Even today, states are still putting roadblocks into effect that shut down all but a few clinics. In a country without Roe v. Wade, you would see millions of people without access to the service unless they are willing and able to hop a state or more away to have it done.

This is the part that really makes it scary. You'll have these fuckers saying it isn't a de facto ban since people in Houston could just go over to New Mexico to end a pregnancy.

Never mind that this is a day's travel each way plus time to recuperate after. Not only do they hate women and prefer them dead, they particularly hate poor women and would rather see them saddled with rape babies before driving them to suicide.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

And to be clear, if Roe were overturned abortion would very likely be legal in most places regardless. Public opinion has shifted a lot since the 70s, and basically every other democracy has arrived at legalizing abortion despite having to vote on it.

Uh pro-life activism is a huge phenomenon built up over decades. It is arguably the biggest grassroots political movement since the Civil Rights Movement. Yeah, most states would keep it legal, but those already working on banning it wouldn't, and it could take decades to turn around (assuming it ever would at all without another Supreme Court ruling).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

eSports Chaebol posted:

Uh pro-life activism is a huge phenomenon built up over decades. It is arguably the biggest grassroots political movement since the Civil Rights Movement.
This is in no small part because abortion is legal through a process that was never voted on. "Keep the very firmly in place status quo" just doesn't attract activism the way changing it does, even when the majority agrees with it.

quote:

Yeah, most states would keep it legal, but those already working on banning it wouldn't, and it could take decades to turn around (assuming it ever would at all without another Supreme Court ruling).
It's certainly plausible. Ireland is a country that has voted down abortion over the years (though wikipedia tells me the majority of <45 year olds support it, so times may change).

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

This is in no small part because abortion is legal through a process that was never voted on. "Keep the very firmly in place status quo" just doesn't attract activism the way changing it does, even when the majority agrees with it.).

No doubt, and that's really the pernicious side of Roe: without it, by now abortion might be legal anyway, but it it were overturned, it would be a long time till it were universally legal again. Contrast this with gay marriage, where the Court's timing has been perfect (from social acceptance perspective, not a human rights perspective of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"Abortion is all so much applesauce" -- Justice Scalia