Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rothfuss should turn the next book into a 10 page short story as a pro-contraceptive cautionary tale as all the Adem and Kvothe succumb to STDs. It would be utterly perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jimbot posted:

Rothfuss should turn the next book into a 10 page short story as a pro-contraceptive cautionary tale as all the Adem and Kvothe succumb to STDs. It would be utterly perfect.

Ah, but remember, while the Adem laugh off the idea that men have any part in making children, they are aware of STDs (xref the quoted "Are you free from disease?").

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup, then he starts boning the hotter, smaller, deadlier ninja girl once his training is drawing to a close. Also, if they get pregnant thats not the guys fault in their culture. Also, they don't like music, but he changes at least one of their minds because he's so good at it. Also, their leader respects him for his cleverness. Also, he passes one of their hardest tests and says the most cleverest answer to their final test question because he's awesome. All but one of them love him being around and respect him. Kvothe rules the sex ninjas in everything but combat.

I think its more that sex and music have opposite positions in their culture than they do in reality. Music is something really personal that should be hidden while sex is this super casual thing everyone does.

also they haven't figured out the link between sex and childbirth because all the women just fuckin love eating this natural birth control plant and get pregnant when they stop eating it. Because apparently everyone is boning like five times a day with random people.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zore posted:

also they haven't figured out the link between sex and childbirth because all the women just fuckin love eating this natural birth control plant and get pregnant when they stop eating it. Because apparently everyone is boning like five times a day with random people.
Couldn't find the plant bit (Kvothe is eating silphium as a contraceptive, reversing what we sorta know about this extinct plan in our world), but yes re: boning:

Page 843 posted:

I asked her if she had ever known a woman to get pregnant who had not had sex in the previous months. She said she didn’t know of any woman who would willingly go three months without sex, except those who were traveling among the barbarians, or very ill, or very old.

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit

ulmont posted:

More the latter. This bit (kindle reports it as pages 774 and 777) probably sums it up as well as anything:

So his ninja teacher is also boning him regularly.

Thanks for that, definitely understand where goons are coming from now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup, then he starts boning the hotter, smaller, deadlier ninja girl once his training is drawing to a close. Also, if they get pregnant thats not the guys fault in their culture. Also, they don't like music, but he changes at least one of their minds because he's so good at it. Also, their leader respects him for his cleverness. Also, he passes one of their hardest tests and says the most cleverest answer to their final test question because he's awesome. All but one of them love him being around and respect him. Kvothe rules the sex ninjas in everything but combat.

I remember when i had that fantasy at 15

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Maybe his real super power isn't magic but sexual allure.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
One of rothfuss's influences was Casanova, where he goes on all of these neat adventures and has sex with a lot of women. So there's that I guess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He also had a similarly succinct writing style.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Patrick munched salaciously on a handful of chips. His orange dusted fingers transitioned from mouth to bag again and again. It was the cut-time cadence of a man resigned.

You aren't going to do it today he thought to himself. What's the point?

In the time the thought took, he had glanced twice towards the hand grenade icon in his bookmarks bar. Groaning, he put his head into his hands. At his feet, Oot played with aging toys on top a dirty blanket. The setting sun colored chip dust had fallen like snow on him, the toys, and the blanket- the floor was a fruit stand crime scene.

On Pat's left monitor, Word was opened to a file entitled Book 3. The most recent save date had burned itself into his monitor, overlaying the current date with its judgmental 1/5/15 pattern. Sucking chip remnants from his finger tips, he typed and deleted "Denna" over and over at the start of a new paragraph.

It can't hurt to check once, then I'll get some writing done.

At the click of a button, the Something Awful forums flashed into view, center of the screen. Pat's profile, wh1t3tkn7ght, had never posted on the forums, but he had been a member ever since he found his self titled thread. In his user profile, it was the only saved discussion. A number indicating the number of new posts since his last visit caught his eyes. 27. He opened the thread with abandon.

For a while, Patrick was silent. An observer would have been able to see his lips move without sound, wrapping themselves around the name horsefucker420 like a glove around a hand. One day, he would show all these neckbeards. These women hating, basement dwelling clown fuckers. They wouldn't know literature if he quoted Dickens for them while holding doors open for their moms. He leapt to his feet, sending Oot sprawling. Cries rose from the child but Patrick. Did. Not. Care.

People were espousing the wrong opinions on the internet. He was going to loving do something about it.

Patrick opened up reddit, and readied both the questions and answers for an Ask Me Anything. It was time to take a stand.

Edit: Grammar.

I can't even process how much unintentional(? Poe's Law) irony is going on here.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I can't even process how much unintentional(? Poe's Law) irony is going on here.

I like that you think the primary conceit is unintentional. That said, typing random words in a row and hoping it works out could be viewed as a very Rothfussian paradigm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ulmont posted:

Ah, but remember, while the Adem laugh off the idea that men have any part in making children, they are aware of STDs (xref the quoted "Are you free from disease?").

In all the dumb parts of the sex ninja section of the book, the Adem not knowing basic biology seemed like an attempt to remind people "yeah this (matriarchal) culture's actually a bunch of morons who just happen to be really good at killing." Really between that and Felurian stuff it's not hard to believe Rothfuss originally wrote this story in college because it seemed like the kind of fantasy poo poo a lonely guy would write in his dorm room.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Edema

Adem

Adema

Edem

Seriously can this guy be any less inventive with his stupid Marysuetiful fantasy culture names?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Martello posted:

Edema

Adem

Adema

Edem

Seriously can this guy be any less inventive with his stupid Marysuetiful fantasy culture names?

I think that's a deliberate hint that they used to be the same group a long time ago. In addition to the "Ademre=Edemaruh" thing, the story that lists the chandrian's true names and signs mentions that the Adem used to be nomads.

For some reason I just read the Slow Regard of Silent Things for the first time, and I'm angry. First, because the whole thing is worthless bullshit. But more importantly, because one of the sections says that:

1. Auri was raped.
2. Auri being raped, not studying naming, is what made her a snowflake broke her
3. Auri being raped is Right because she should be broken.
4. It's Auri's fault she was raped because she was too careless.

What The gently caress

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think that's a deliberate hint that they used to be the same group a long time ago. In addition to the "Ademre=Edemaruh" thing, the story that lists the chandrian's true names and signs mentions that the Adem used to be nomads.

For some reason I just read the Slow Regard of Silent Things for the first time, and I'm angry. First, because the whole thing is worthless bullshit. But more importantly, because one of the sections says that:

1. Auri was raped.
2. Auri being raped, not studying naming, is what made her a snowflake broke her

What The gently caress

I haven't read it, but could it just be her rationalizing everything to herself? I had a friend that sort of did that until she got some therapy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

1. Auri was raped.
Can you point to what you're looking at for that? I see one line that might give you 1, although not necessarily, but 2-4 certainly don't seem to follow even if 1 is correct...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ulmont posted:

Can you point to what you're looking at for that? I see one line that might give you 1, although not necessarily, but 2-4 certainly don't seem to follow even if 1 is correct...

Context: Auri has just tripped and fallen down the stairs, breaking the gear.

Near the end of The Graceful Way to Move posted:

She knew. She should have moved more gently with the world. She knew the way of things. She knew if you weren't always stepping lightly as a bird the whole world came apart to crush you. Like a house of cards. Like a bottle against stones. Like a wrist pinned hard beneath a hand with the hot breath smell of want and wine...

...Then she saw the pieces, and her heart went sideways in her chest. No. Not shattered. Broken. He had broken.

Suddenly Auri's face broke too. It broke into a grin so wide you'd think she ate the moon. Oh yes, Fulcrum had broken, but that wasn't wrong. Eggs break. Horses break. Waves break. Of course he broke. How else could someone so all certain-centered let his perfect answers out into the world? Some things were just too true to stay.

The end of the first paragraph pretty heavily implies Auri was raped, which is supported by a line earlier in the book that mentions she's not a virgin. That it's used as an example of an event that breaks things indicates that it broke Auri. That it's immediately followed by that last paragraph about how things breaking is good suggests that her being raped was ultimately a good thing. And she explicitly blames herself for it in that first paragraph.

e: Even if you don't find 2-4 compelling, 1 seems pretty unambiguous to me, which means Rothfuss has raped his most infantilized female character for absolutely no reason.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I haven't read it, but could it just be her rationalizing everything to herself? I had a friend that sort of did that until she got some therapy.

It's plausible, but the narrative seems to agree with her. Her fairy bullshit is consistently portrayed as a good thing and is implied to give her some Namer insights into things, which supports the "the rape was actually good" thing. And her self-effacing routine is contrasted with Jax stealing the moon, which suggests that she's right that she needs to step lightly as a bird.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 23, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

e: Even if you don't find 2-4 compelling, 1 seems pretty unambiguous to me, which means Rothfuss has raped his most infantilized female character for absolutely no reason.
I don't find 2-4 compelling. Particularly 4; I read that first paragraph as Auri blaming herself for tripping, dropping Fulcrum, and Fulcrum breaking, rather than Auri blaming herself for being crushed in the past.

When I originally read that passage, I read the crushing examples as just successively more evocative ways the world can crush an individual: house of cards, broken bottle, drunken rape. Rereading, I think you're probably right that Auri was raped, so no argument re: no reason.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

esn2500 posted:

For a guy who probably never had sex with a woman half his weight, can you blame him? He clearly has some interesting fantasies

If you have ever had sex with a woman half your own weight you are either a fat gently caress or into children?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Affi posted:

If you have ever had sex with a woman half your own weight you are either a fat gently caress or into children?

Or really into weightlifting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's my take as well. It reminded me a lot of the Wheel of Time, with the badass Aiel fighters (but they don't sing unless it's the dirge for the dead), and the pacifist Traveling people (who are always searching for the mystical "Song"), having a shared origin.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Torrannor posted:

That's my take as well. It reminded me a lot of the Wheel of Time, with the badass Aiel fighters (but they don't sing unless it's the dirge for the dead), and the pacifist Traveling people (who are always searching for the mystical "Song"), having a shared origin.

By "reminded me of" you meant "is obviously ripped off from," right?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Martello posted:

And the Aiel are obviously ripped off of the Fremen from Dune.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Martello posted:

Ithaqua posted:

And the Aiel are obviously ripped off of the Fremen from Dune.

That's why I didn't write "ripped off", somebody will inevitably come in and mention the even older work of literature that featured this exact trope.

And the Aiel were obviously inspired by the Fremen. But it's not a rip off, they are different enough to stand on their own. Like how the Fremen try to make their exile into paradise, which is wholly against the Aiel belief that the Three-Fold land is both a punishment for their past sin, but also a place to make them stronger. Thus, once they are strong enough and have earned repentance, their goal is to leave it. Also, the Aiel being former pacifists is intriguing enough to be a nice homage on the Zensunni past of the Fremen without being a direct copy of it.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

1. Auri was raped.

What The gently caress

Context: Auri has just tripped and fallen down the stairs, breaking the gear.

The end of the first paragraph pretty heavily implies Auri was raped, which is supported by a line earlier in the book that mentions she's not a virgin. That it's used as an example of an event that breaks things indicates that it broke Auri. That it's immediately followed by that last paragraph about how things breaking is good suggests that her being raped was ultimately a good thing. And she explicitly blames herself for it in that first paragraph.

It's plausible, but the narrative seems to agree with her. Her fairy bullshit is consistently portrayed as a good thing and is implied to give her some Namer insights into things, which supports the "the rape was actually good" thing. And her self-effacing routine is contrasted with Jax stealing the moon, which suggests that she's right that she needs to step lightly as a bird.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Rothfuss is definitely not saying any of the stuff you're accusing him of. The quote from the book you posted is clearly Auri's thoughts, and as someone said before, it's rationalization and self-blame, which are realistic responses to being raped.

Rothfuss has a bunch of lovely stuff in his books, but this isn't one of them.

Effigy
Feb 26, 2004
There isn't anyone to help you. Only me. And I'm the Beast.

Jimbot posted:

Ok calling it now: one of the sex ninjas is going to show up at the tavern with a red haired baby, and it's going to break mary sue out of his funk, simultaneously ending the reproductive theories of the sex ninjas.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Barbe Rouge posted:

Sorry, but you're wrong. Rothfuss is definitely not saying any of the stuff you're accusing him of. The quote from the book you posted is clearly Auri's thoughts, and as someone said before, it's rationalization and self-blame, which are realistic responses to being raped.

Rothfuss has a bunch of lovely stuff in his books, but this isn't one of them.

This excuse rings kind of hollow for me consider the overall narrative and I'm also completely fuckin' sick of male fantasy authors using rape as a cheap way of making their female characters more tragic and interesting. It's lazy at best.

If Rothfuss was a different kind of author I might give him the benefit of the doubt here but he isn't and I don't.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Effigy posted:

Ok calling it now: one of the sex ninjas is going to show up at the tavern with a red haired baby, and it's going to break mary sue out of his funk, simultaneously ending the reproductive theories of the sex ninjas.

Kvothe's gonna destroy the Adem's way of life WITH HIS DICK.

Reene posted:

This excuse rings kind of hollow for me consider the overall narrative and I'm also completely fuckin' sick of male fantasy authors using rape as a cheap way of making their female characters more tragic and interesting. It's lazy at best.

If Rothfuss was a different kind of author I might give him the benefit of the doubt here but he isn't and I don't.

In my opinion, there isn't any benefit of the doubt to be given here. It's very clear from the text that those are Auri's thoughts and that she's traumatized and not in her right mind. Does he have to put a footnote explicitly explaining what he actually meant?
Disclaimer: I have read that little blogpost of his about the hypothetical cute nerdy girl who starts doing webcam porn (:stare:), just so you know that I'm aware of who we're talking about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barbe Rouge posted:

Disclaimer: I have read that little blogpost of his about the hypothetical cute nerdy girl who starts doing webcam porn (:stare:), just so you know that I'm aware of who we're talking about.

The what now?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Supposedly his plans are for Kingkiller to only be 3 books long (meaning we likely won't get any real ending or it'll be hamfisted as hell) and then the next books are supposed to be about other characters, including Bast, and tie together in a single bigass overarching story.
gently caress. gently caress.

The second he introduced the Chthaehathe evil tree I lost all interest in the story outside the present so it's strangely upsetting to be vindicated in my assumption that Rothfuss has no idea where he's going or how to finish the story.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to use keyboard posting to transition back into the cut flower silence of a man wishing he could stop waiting for a third book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

The what now?

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2012/02/concerning-hobbits-love-and-movie-adaptations/

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
As with all things, don't read the comments.

Also, please tell me that he's published a more recent entry commenting on how he's a changed man and had really hosed up views towards women as infantilized virgins or dirty whores and he's really sorry now?

And that's a hell of a double standard he has going on there. This hypothetical high school crush he knew nothing about is sullied forever for doing porn, but he's okay for watching it?

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 24, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Haha holy gently caress what is wrong with this dude

Someone calls him out in the comments and he says, "hmmm nope I stand by it." Huge surprise.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Barbe Rouge posted:

Kvothe's gonna destroy the Adem's way of life WITH HIS DICK.

In my opinion, there isn't any benefit of the doubt to be given here. It's very clear from the text that those are Auri's thoughts and that she's traumatized and not in her right mind. Does he have to put a footnote explicitly explaining what he actually meant?

Auri did not magically appear in a vacuum though. Rothfuss is who decided to give her the Tragic Rape Victim backstory, decided it drove her insane (or excuse me, "broke" her), and decided to have her regard it in that manner within the text. If it was a setup to actually displaying the pathology of a rape survivor who is still processing their rape (not that he actually does this accurately) he fails to do this convincingly because at no point in the narrative are we shown that this is an incorrect way for her to regard herself or what happened to her. It's not refuted anywhere. It's just said that it's okay she's like that now.

Even if we grant that you're correct and that this is what he is (poorly) attempting to do, it's still an incredibly lazy thing to do with a female character and I resent it on that basis alone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, so his highschool crush turned pornstar is the influence for Denna, I see. Clearly he's a very balanced individual not still hung up on someone else's life choices. No problem with that. No siree.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jimbot posted:

Ah, so his highschool crush turned pornstar is the influence for Denna, I see. Clearly he's a very balanced individual not still hung up on someone else's life choices. No problem with that. No siree.

It's like....I get the comparison he's trying to make...but man does it come out all hosed up and gross.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah there are a loving million ways to say 'I liked x once but it's different now and it's cool if you like it but for me it's weird' without a really loving gross analogy as that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Hobbit book is like a fine wine - the experience of enjoying it is very fulfilling and sticks with you long after you enjoyed it. Whereas the movie is more like a beer. Not very memorable but still OK for what it is. You'll enjoy it during but after it's done you'll forget about it. It's lost something in transition and you find that disappointing.

There, less creepy. Can I get critically acclaimed fantasy series that will make me rich beyond my wildest dreams now?

spootime
Oct 31, 2010
I havent read slow regard and I never will, but is is fully confirmed that auri is mentally broken from rape and not naming? Or is that just conjecture?

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Probably both...I assumed that she saw the ability to name as being similar to raping different things by exerting your will on them, which she clearly makes every effort to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Flattened Spoon posted:

Probably both...I assumed that she saw the ability to name as being similar to raping different things by exerting your will on them, which she clearly makes every effort to avoid.

Slow Regard ends with Auri eagerly awaiting the day Kvothe is emotionally vulnerable and broken and hollow so that she can "name" him.

• Locked thread