Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Patch Notes posted:

Had advanced fire control system, and powerful artillery. The strength of the structure, thoughtful division into compartments, and a considerable area and volume of armour ensured the high survivability of the ship.

I feel like the Bismarck is going to be punching well over its historical capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Mikasa looks funny between a huge healthpool and insane secondary battery for her tier, fast rudder and tight turning circle. It's kinda what I would have imagined a Tier 2 Nagato to be like.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hagop posted:

I feel like the Bismarck is going to be punching well over its historical capabilities.

I'm pretty sure the best ships in the German line are going to be the DDs. They had good torpedoes.

Here are the other two Wehraboo ships mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden-class_cruiser (sounds like a slightly-less-impressive German St. Louis)

The only mention I can find of the Hermelin is a modern and 60s-era fast attack craft. Pretty sure they're not putting in the former, as it has anti-ship missiles, and the latter only has 40mm Bofors as its *main armament*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Depending upon the range they give her secondaries the mikasa might be insane. I have a feeling that getting up close and personal is going to be a giant gently caress you even to a St. Louis.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, it begs the question of what the difference between the Marblehead and the Marblehead Lima is.

Oh christ I just noticed the Cincinnati and Marblehead have practically no AA at Tier 5. 4x 76mm for the entire ship? Nope. That's buying a premium to be a free kill for a carrier. No thanks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 24, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pretty sure the best ships in the German line are going to be the DDs. They had good torpedoes.

Here are the other two Wehraboo ships mentioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden-class_cruiser (sounds like a slightly-less-impressive German St. Louis)

The only mention I can find of the Hermelin is a modern and 60s-era fast attack craft. Pretty sure they're not putting in the former, as it has anti-ship missiles, and the latter only has 40mm Bofors as its *main armament*.

Actually, the non-submarine torps were pretty pants. What's likely is that german DDs are going to be comparatively beefy and have good guns (high-velocity 5in or even 6in guns in some cases), but slower turrets than americans DDs.

Don't forget that Dresden is tier 2. She's with the Chester and Chikuma, not the St. Louis.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can't wait for the H39 or H44 class to come out and be either completely loving OP or absolutely terrible so all wheraboos cry over them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it begs the question of what the difference between the Marblehead and the Marblehead Lima is.

Oh christ I just noticed the Cincinnati and Marblehead have practically no AA at Tier 5. 4x 76mm for the entire ship? Nope. That's buying a premium to be a free kill for a carrier. No thanks.

Does AA actually get good at killing planes ever? I'm at tier 5 and multiple squadrons buzzing overhead for about a minute leads to about two planes shot down by my AA. Does it eventually get to the point where AA can actually prevent bombers attacking you?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gort posted:

Does AA actually get good at killing planes ever? I'm at tier 5 and multiple squadrons buzzing overhead for about a minute leads to about two planes shot down by my AA. Does it eventually get to the point where AA can actually prevent bombers attacking you?

Eventually. Range and being near other ships contributing their AA certainly helps.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
They have a new advice series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzu9IFD7yM

quote:

A brand new video series Bad Advice is here to teach you both basic and advanced naval techniques in World of Warships while chuckling (or crying – depending on your character, you monsters) at the sheer incompetence of our little captain.
The first episode (titled: "Always use AP") sees our cute, but strategically challenged captain facing against a smaller (and less armoured) ship than his own and struggling with a decision that many of you might have stumbled upon yourselves. Does he use AP or HE shells? And what does the little golden fish think? And what do you think? See for yourselves in the brand new video series that strive to re-wire your brains to be more efficient and experienced captains. Or just make you laugh. We will take both. Enjoy!

Action Stations!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gort posted:

T5 doesn't. T6, especially for america is where it gets really nasty for planes. You get kills especially if you are around other cruisers and you soften up planes together. Also the ability you get helps a lot.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I would guess the tier 1, or maybe a low tier destroyer. It's an animal name (ermine) and it looks like there were some early 1900s gunboats named after animals.

Michaellaneous posted:

Can't wait for the H39 or H44 class to come out and be either completely loving OP or absolutely terrible so all wheraboos cry over them.

They're unlikely to be terrible consisting the Wargaming German bias. Listing "advanced fire control system and powerful artillery" as points in favor of the Bismarck is another reason to expect over buffing, although they said the Cincinnati would have good AA so who knows.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
alright trip report. Replaced the main battery accuracy with the secondary range+accuracy one on the Kongo. Throwing away 500k hurts when you're not running premium. First two games were meh and it made no difference in a close range brawl with a New York and Wyoming but on the one after that the secondaries took down a DD and Kuma trying to torp me practically by themselves. A++ would mount again

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Gort posted:

my murmansk with basic firing training + AA mod does pretty well. had a game yesterday where a 4 plane torp squad made a run on me, I went right at it and they had to circle around; by the time they dropped there was only 1 plane and I brought him down before he got out of range

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hermelin was IIRC some dinky pre-WWI colonial gunboat.

Michaellaneous posted:

IIR, the most plausible plan right now is H39 at T9 and H41 at T10. H44 is right out because too fat and no 20in guns being allowed. IIR the Yamato's 18.1in are the biggest guns WG wants in the game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just watched a phoenix do a hard left into a small island, followed by a battleship doing the same thing in the same spot.

My question is when will they have some sort of clan battle thing so I can stop watching that poo poo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Pretty sure the Bismark is gonna be a T8 premium and the Tirpitz is going to be the one in the tech tree.

That would be weird as they're Bismarck -Class battleships and the Tech Tree is always the Class of ship not the specific ones. It would mean there's a Premium Bismarck and a Bismarck in the tech tree though I guess. I could see them making the Premium one the Tirpitz just to give them different names.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Aramoro posted:

That would be weird as they're Bismarck -Class battleships and the Tech Tree is always the Class of ship not the specific ones. It would mean there's a Premium Bismarck and a Bismarck in the tech tree though I guess. I could see them making the Premium one the Tirpitz just to give them different names.

A premium ship called Bismarck would sell a lot more than an identical ship called Tirpitz. It wouldn't be completely out of character for them to give the tech tree version the wrong name just for that.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well it's not a premium Bismarck. But a real toy Bismarck + some premium stuff http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/Italeri-Bismarck/

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

James Garfield posted:

A premium ship called Bismarck would sell a lot more than an identical ship called Tirpitz. It wouldn't be completely out of character for them to give the tech tree version the wrong name just for that.

Well the Tirpitz was the one that actually got extensive upgrades to her AA in particular. Bismarck's AA was rather...lacking.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it's not a premium Bismarck. But a real toy Bismarck + some premium stuff http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/Italeri-Bismarck/

you know I bet it took a lot of fighting within WG to go against marketing and not have the launch nations be RU/GER

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What got my attention on that model kit was the mention of 500 signal flags. *Which* signal flags? Because if it's 500 *each* (unlikely) I'd buy that model just to throw it away.

Because at 39.90EUR, you're paying the price of the Atlanta to get the Diana + extras.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It's probably 50 each of the 10 types of flags, like the poopsock reward for being in the top 1% of battles played in closed beta.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

Actually, the non-submarine torps were pretty pants. What's likely is that german DDs are going to be comparatively beefy and have good guns (high-velocity 5in or even 6in guns in some cases), but slower turrets than americans DDs.

Don't forget that Dresden is tier 2. She's with the Chester and Chikuma, not the St. Louis.

They went pretty much straight from torpedo boats to 150mm (5.9") guns. It's going to be an interesting line.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So wait, have Wargaming said what order the other nations are being released?

Because it'll be a crime against boats if we get a goofy German or Russian full line before I can putter around in the HMS Dreadnought :britain:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I think I started to Get Good. A lot of games are looking like this.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Do you all see anything wrong with this picture? Anything at all?

We got crammed into a tier VI match as a division of tier III's, and each of us did more than pretty much the rest of the team put together.

Truly, teamwork is OP.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Finally got double strike thanks to an idiot battleship sailing straight into my torps while I wrecked a destroyer with 203s.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I am so, so sick of playing Big Race and New Dawn over and over again. Why are maps segregated by tier in the first place?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ship speeds, ranges, detection, and spotting.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Because it'll be a crime against boats if we get a goofy German or Russian full line before I can putter around in the HMS Dreadnought :britain:

Last they said it was Russia > Germany > UK.

ArchangeI posted:

Well the Tirpitz was the one that actually got extensive upgrades to her AA in particular. Bismarck's AA was rather...lacking.

I forgot about that part. Bismarck's AA at tier 8 will be funny if they don't just give it automatic 37 mm guns because :hitler:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay but I am gonna be honest. I am kinda hyped for Heavy Cruiser Deutschland simply for it's concept. A cruiser sized ship with 11" guns? Yes please.
They also look really nifty.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is ripple firing something you're supposed to do? At least with the South Carolina and Kawachi, it felt like I did a lot better in them firing a cannon every two seconds or so.

I also found out part of why I had such a hard time with them: I didn't notice the healing consumable they have until I was maybe 10 games in.

E: I might buy the Mikasa when that comes out. lovely range, but it's got as much health as a St. Louis and a huge amount of secondary guns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's a marketing decision. Russia's a given because most of their playerbase is russian and they love piloting russian stuff, Germany's likely because the next largest/most vocal group is Kriegsmarinaboos.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, turns out they loving mistranslated the name. What we get as a german tier 1 is SMS Iltis.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 25, 2015

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Magni posted:

Well, turns out the loving mistranslated the name. What we get as a german 1 is SMS Iltis.

Oh good, we are getting the SMS Panther. That works better than either the U.S. or IJN choices for tier 1

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe it's because I play during weird hours but gently caress this bullshit.

It is. I've seen almost nothing but T6 games in it.

Menelven posted:

The NM does get a scout plane on its last hull. Just thought I'd say because don't think it actually says that in-game.

Huh. It didn't before, so that's nice. You used to have to wait until Colorado to get one, while the IJN was running around with them at T4. Mind you, they didn't extend your gun range back then.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Perestroika posted:

It's a marketing decision. Russia's a given because most of their playerbase is russian and they love piloting russian stuff, Germany's likely because the next largest/most vocal group is Kriegsmarinaboos.

As far as I can tell though, the Russian tree would have to be tiny as all hell.

A couple decent cruisers (Kirov/Maxim Gorky) maybe but otherwise weren't their few battleships during WW2 obsolete early dreadnoughts and they had literally zero aircraft carriers until like 1975?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

They've already got plenty of ships that never were, what's a few more? :v:

I have enough credits for a Nicholas, a Minekaze or a Furutaka. Which should I buy first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

I am so, so sick of playing Big Race and New Dawn over and over again. Why are maps segregated by tier in the first place?

Oh please, dont be angry playing those maps. They're great. The real terror is Ocean and... THE ICE MAP
please no WG, not the ice map again, NOOOOOOOOOO

Sperglord Actual posted:

They've already got plenty of ships that never were, what's a few more? :v:

I have enough credits for a Nicholas, a Minekaze or a Furutaka. Which should I buy first?

The Nicholas is a pretty cool DD, but you're facing beefier and beefier cruisers who will shitstomp you if you show yourself. You're gonna start to have to do more hit and run or ambush tactics as you climb in the US DD tree. The Minekaze is the last of the fast reload torpedo IJN DDs, with 10km range upgraded torps. The Furutaka sucks, but you'll need to get past it to get the Aoba, so bleh.