Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Jedit posted:

I know Declan, but gently caress Warren Ellis.

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fiona Staples is just the best. Archie #1

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

Are you reading "Injection"? You ought to be reading "Injection".

From issue #3, illustrated by Declan Shalvey with colors by Jordie Bellaire. Click for bigger.

... no... feet?

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Endless Mike posted:

Did someone unleash Joker toxins in Riverdale? Can't stop :stonk:ing those chins and crazy eyes.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Jago posted:

... no... feet?

They're on the cover if you're concerned about them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

I knew the hair cross hatch would survive!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

So am I the only one digging the Annie Wu "Black Canary"? Everyone seems to complain about DC house style (which I totally get and agree with), so on a whim I bought it cause I like Canary and thought the cover was pretty bitchin change of pace, and I like to support my fellow women artists.

Nice mix of an indie comic style with traditional flat colors, the interiors are more of the same. Hoping DC picks up more stuff like this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hoping DC picks up more stuff like this.

There's good new stuff with the latest books. Check out the artstyles on the new Hellblazer and Dr. Fate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 13, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, Prez, dude, PREZ! God that book's pretty. Which is bizarre, given some of the content.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's good new stuff with the latest books. Check out the artstyles on the new Hellblazer and Dr. Fate.

Oh, yeah, glad you mentioned that. My bf picked up Dr Fate, and I liked that one too. :hfive: I'll check out Hellblazer when I go to get my pulls on Wednesday. I like me some HB from the old gn's I've read (but had heard the Nu52 Constantine title was kinda "meh" so never got into it).

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A bunch of variant covers:

http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/post/124237907915/covers-groot-3-by-superlog-ultimate-end-4-by
http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/post/124237812380/covers-amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-4-by
http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/post/124236912765/covers-weirdworld-4-by-ken-niimura-old-man-logan
http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/post/124236795680/covers-spider-island-3-by-eyeshield-21

Highlights: Hulk la Hulk, Cutest Groot

Lowlight: Hentai artist Wolverine

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
THIS FIST.... IS THE FIST.... THAT WILL SMASH THE HEAVENS!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I like Murata's Spider-Island cover a lot more than the RYV one, which is weird because he is so good at drawing things in motion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Murata is pretty good at drawing Spider-man in general.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Murata is pretty good at drawing Spider-man in general.

Ftfy

Unmature
May 9, 2008

So am I the only one digging the Annie Wu "Black Canary"? Everyone seems to complain about DC house style (which I totally get and agree with), so on a whim I bought it cause I like Canary and thought the cover was pretty bitchin change of pace, and I like to support my fellow women artists.

Nice mix of an indie comic style with traditional flat colors, the interiors are more of the same. Hoping DC picks up more stuff like this.

I'm enjoying it. Love the art, but the writing is just okay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chloe Sevigny as Black Canary is a great idea.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Chloe Sevigny Emily Haines as Black Canary is a great idea.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Whoa, she even has the same nose.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That doesn't really take away from it being a really great drawing in particular and example of general style, even though the reference is pretty obvious now that you look at the photos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well yeah, it's a reference, not a trace.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That image is the difference between photo reference to get the anatomy right on a particular pose and Greg Land.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the face isn't even a thing that's rare. Mike Deodato basically fantasy casts all his books, and you get stuff like Tony Stark, Nick Fury and Coulson being drawn to look like RDJ, Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg all the time now.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
There's an old story about an identical house showing up in two different books - both artists google image searched "house" and used the first result as reference.

It's a part of the job.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Huh, neat. I'd never heard of Emily Haines, and I'm digging her music so far, so thanks for that! I really like "Doctor Blind". Now If they slip a Doctor Mid-nite cameo into the BC book, that'd be meta as gently caress.

More good art: currently reading the ODY-C tpb, and hot drat is Christian Ward's art blowing my mind. I'm having trouble picking out a panel to post. Just go look at all of it:
http://www.cjwardart.com/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is insane. This dude has hundreds of commissions around a single theme. He asks artists to do a One Minute Later variant cover for classic comics covers.

Dougie Braithwaite

Brian Bolland

JRJR w/ Sr on inks.

Lenlin Yu

Any idea how much all this might cost?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 24, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Brian Bolland

I love this. "What would Batman and Robin be doing a minute after this cover? Well I imagine they've just savagely beating Joker for a straight minute and they're just enjoying it so much they don't even notice the gunmen sneaking up on them."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

These are all great, what a neat concept. This Bianchi one cracks me up too:

God drat it, Scott. :argh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How come the Lenil Yu one has trade dress for the current SHIELD book, though?

And I really like the Adventure Comics #247 one in there, mostly because it tells the entire story in two panels/covers. Like, I guarantee you that's exactly what happens in the issue and I haven't read Silver Age Legion for years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

And I really like the Adventure Comics #247 one in there, mostly because it tells the entire story in two panels/covers. Like, I guarantee you that's exactly what happens in the issue and I haven't read Silver Age Legion for years.

Marvel did a bunch of variant covers last month around that theme. They were pretty good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

zoux posted:

Lenlin Yu

Any idea how much all this might cost?

With their history Mandroid suit wearer has got to be a tough position to hire for.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Gaz-L posted:

Adventure Comics #354 meanwhile is the biggest gut punch of the Silver Age :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Adventure Comics #354 meanwhile is the biggest gut punch of the Silver Age :smith:

That just reminds me of the part in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow where the Legion brings Supergirl with them when they come to say goodbye and as soon as they leave Superman just completely breaks down crying.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Huh, neat. I'd never heard of Emily Haines, and I'm digging her music so far, so thanks for that! I really like "Doctor Blind". Now If they slip a Doctor Mid-nite cameo into the BC book, that'd be meta as gently caress.

More good art: currently reading the ODY-C tpb, and hot drat is Christian Ward's art blowing my mind. I'm having trouble picking out a panel to post. Just go look at all of it:
http://www.cjwardart.com/

She's also an inspiration for Envy Adams from the Scott Pilgrim comics. (And then in the movie, Metric provided the music for Clash at Demonhead.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I cannot stop looking at these. The lineup of artists he's pulled in to create these is bananas. I can't even imagine what one of these would have cost (e.g. Bolland, Byrne, Colan) much less the entire gallery.

It's a pity that ...ONE MINUTE LATER! text is so goofy looking. It's like vandalism, almost. (not pictured on this example)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

She's also an inspiration for Envy Adams from the Scott Pilgrim comics. (And then in the movie, Metric provided the music for Clash at Demonhead.)

So that's why Envy's blonde in the movie? (It's petty, but I found that so distracting, because the character's look in the books seemed so tied into her attitude that it threw me off)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pastry of the Year posted:

I cannot stop looking at these. The lineup of artists he's pulled in to create these is bananas. I can't even imagine what one of these would have cost (e.g. Bolland, Byrne, Colan) much less the entire gallery.

It's a pity that ...ONE MINUTE LATER! text is so goofy looking. It's like vandalism, almost. (not pictured on this example)

Am I seeing things or is the planet-person-thing on the left blowing its brains (ish?) out with a revolver?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Am I seeing things or is the planet-person-thing on the left blowing its brains (ish?) out with a revolver?

You could always ask Steranko on Twitter. That dude is gregarious.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

Love this one. Somebody is about to have his rear end kicked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

Brian Bolland

Using his alias of "Eduardo Barreto", I see.

To answer your question on how much that would cost: anywhere from $300 to $1000 per cover, depending on the artist.