Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
For the draft order strategy, here's what my league has done. Someone set up beer pong with 1-12 (or how many members) on it, and have someone else randomize it so no one knows where the cups are. Fill up the cups appropriately with whatever liquor you all want to take a shot of. Order of shots is league winner to sacko. When the winner makes his cup, he sets it aside without looking at the number. This continues all they way down, making it harder and harder for the people who placed lower to hit cups and allows them to be mocked appropriately. When its the sackos turn, dump an extra shot or two in there and mock him mercilessly until he hits his cup. Everyone then toasts to a new season, takes their shots and at the end reveals what number they got. Random, simple, and allows for what fantasy football was truly made for; mocking the poo poo out of people who've done worse than you.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I play in a 12 team .5ppr league with QB, RB, RB/WR, 2 WR, TE, Flex, DST, K and I have been toying with the idea of the zero-RB idea. I have pick #3 and most of my mocks have turned out like:

QB: Romo/Brady/Rivers
RB: Morris/Stewart/Bell
RB/WR: Antonio Brown
WR: AJ Green or Jeffery
WR: Evans or Hilton
Flex: AJ80 or Amari Cooper

Maybe it's because I picked AP #1 overall last year and watched my season die a slow and painful death, but I just find the idea of doing something different and stacking quality WR in every slot something that I'm leaning towards.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I ended up going with the 7th pick in a 10 man draft. The plan is for LeVeon to slip to me, if not, end up with DeMarco and go D.Thomas or Jordy with my 2nd pick (we have 3 WRs and 2 RBs, no flex). I figure if LeVeon doesn't slip to me, I go with DeMarco.

BUT....there's a part of me with the league I'm drafting with that makes me think LeVeon could slip to me in the 2nd...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

89 posted:

I ended up going with the 7th pick in a 10 man draft. The plan is for LeVeon to slip to me, if not, end up with DeMarco and go D.Thomas or Jordy with my 2nd pick (we have 3 WRs and 2 RBs, no flex). I figure if LeVeon doesn't slip to me, I go with DeMarco.

BUT....there's a part of me with the league I'm drafting with that makes me think LeVeon could slip to me in the 2nd...

I don't like Demarco that early. It won't be an RBBC by any means, but Mathews is going to siphon carries. FantasyPros has him around pick 16, which feels reasonable. Current MFL real draft ADP is ~21. He's not a first round guy after the sheer workload he had last year, the fact that he already had injury-proneness concerns, and that he has a capable RB1 right behind him.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

89 posted:

Why do you believe the player who typically goes 1st overall will slip into the 2nd round?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

If you're drafting in a league where LeVeon slips to the 7th, let alone the 2nd round, you don't need advice. You need a trophy room.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're drafting in a league where LeVeon slips to the 7th, let alone the 2nd round, you don't need advice. You need a trophy room.

This league somehow though he was gonna be suspended last year and let him slip to me around like 5th round last year. Which, maybe I'm the dumb one for not picking him up sooner but....dat trophy over my fireplace :cool:

EDIT: poo poo, I thought LeVeon had a 4 game suspension.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 25, 2015

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Alright, weeks ago I told somebody I would make a more sophisticated zero-rb strategy to plug into my draft simulator and run against a few thousand 2014 drafts.
HOWEVER, one thing really popped out from the zero-rb drafts: they were significantly more reliable. I expected a small effect from the lowered bust rate for WRs, but the decrease in standard deviation of "best drafted team" was really notable:

Further, I'm noticing one additional qualitative benefit: rb2s that are SO BAD, it should be possible to get a better one from the waiver wire. This is a significantly better situation from having a mediocre team across the board - with a few studs at some positions and terrible god-awful players at others, it becomes a pretty straightforward matter to replace the terrible ones and keep the studs.
So now the questions becomes whether the ability to replace trash RBs through the wire can overcome the disadvantage on the drafted team from the zero-rb strategy.
Thank you for doing this. This is really good stuff- model and analysis included. The observation that the second RB is essentially replacement level is very interesting. It seems like you're shifting the risk from needing to have a good draft to needing to play the waiver wire well and trade well, which is nice because you get multiple chances at the waiver wire but only one at the draft. I don't know if I would do 0RB if I picked really early or really late in the draft, but if I were in the middle (where it looks like the deviation is the smallest) I might just give it a shot.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Now I'm gonna be tearing my hair out on going RB/RB or RB/WR for my first two picks in my 0.5 PPR league, 10 man, 2 RB, 3 WRs, no Flex. :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Where do you pick?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Spoeank posted:

Where do you pick?

7 out of 10

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

89 posted:

7 out of 10

I would go WR/RB there (or RB/WR) then grab RBs for a couple rounds then go back to receivers, probably. Obviously the disclaimer of it depends on how your draft is falling applies.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

89 posted:

7 out of 10

Make a top 15 take best available

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

89 posted:

Now I'm gonna be tearing my hair out on going RB/RB or RB/WR for my first two picks in my 0.5 PPR league, 10 man, 2 RB, 3 WRs, no Flex. :(

Eh, I'd essentially say that my bottom line here is that 0RB is not strictly a handicap. I think it might reach parity with rank-based or VORP-based strategies once the waiver wire is considered.

In terms of recommendations, I personally would probably be more inclined to consider a 0RB strategy in more casual leagues, where the combination of safe low-variance studs and free reign over the WW is probably close to the ideal way to take advantage of the skill differential. In a more competitive league, I might actually be less inclined to use a 0RB approach after seeing how much it reduces expected variance of drafted players. In very competitive leagues without much skill differential, winning the championship requires a lot of gambles to roll your way. You actually want a high-variance strategy.

I'd be perfectly happy to take the Beersheets BPA in competitive leagues.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
How do you guys feel about 10 team leagues vs 12 team leagues?

We started our first fantasy football league last year with 8 teams, and this year we have enough for 10 teams and may have enough for 12. Is there much of a difference between 10 and 12 team leagues or is it pretty much the same once you get past 8?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The more players the more spread out the talent is. With 8 players it is a battle of super teams while 14+ players is a battle of penny pinchers. There is a noticeable difference between 8 and 10 and even more so if you jump to 12.

My personal preference is 12 because I feel it is the most balanced and strategic format.

Metapod fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 25, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

10 makes me dizzy because every team is so drat good. There's players that could break out that I don't have room for on my roster and it makes me itchy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Forever_Peace posted:

Eh, I'd essentially say that my bottom line here is that 0RB is not strictly a handicap. I think it might reach parity with rank-based or VORP-based strategies once the waiver wire is considered.

In terms of recommendations, I personally would probably be more inclined to consider a 0RB strategy in more casual leagues, where the combination of safe low-variance studs and free reign over the WW is probably close to the ideal way to take advantage of the skill differential. In a more competitive league, I might actually be less inclined to use a 0RB approach after seeing how much it reduces expected variance of drafted players. In very competitive leagues without much skill differential, winning the championship requires a lot of gambles to roll your way. You actually want a high-variance strategy.

I'd be perfectly happy to take the Beersheets BPA in competitive leagues.

0RB? Like...drafting WR/WR and then going RB? I'm kinda liking the idea of one elite RB and one elite WR and then throwing in a Frank Gore, Mark Ingram, or Jonathan Stewart as a RB2. If I go elite RB/elite RB, then my WR1 is gonna end up being Emmanuel Sanders or Alshon Jeffrey...which isn't bad....but I want Jordy or Julio.

Also, I'm pretty hardcore sold on CJ Anderson. He was the best fantasy RB for the last half of last year, they are gonna lean on the run game to preserve Peyton for the playoffs to avoid the past two years of him breaking down that time, and Gary Kubiak makes drat near every RB a star fantasy wise. Even Justin Forsett. He also doesn't like RB committees. CJ Anderson is gonna beast....and I might use my first round pick to make sure I get him even though I could see him slipping to me in the 2nd.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spoeank posted:

10 makes me dizzy because every team is so drat good. There's players that could break out that I don't have room for on my roster and it makes me itchy.

10 is actually my favorite for this exact reason. Given a standard roster setup, you end up having just enough bench room to hold like 2 or 3 sleepers/underperformers while still keeping the usual positional backups and bye week guys. It makes you really evaluate who you want to hold onto for 8 weeks because you can't just grab everyone you want, and if you drop them some other team will have the space to pick them up if they want to.

It leads to situations where you're gambling on whether you can drop a guy for a week or two and trying to figure out if any other team would pick him up, and it makes the season more exciting than if you're just sitting there with your team and twiddling your thumbs because every team is either stacked or everyone's already picked up anyone worth mentioning.

There's definitely some appeal to playing in a super deep league and having to scrape for breakout players, but I think 10 is a real sweet spot for fantasy and is the best combo of having to make tough decisions while still playing with a good team that'll actually be fun to watch/follow/root for.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Koth posted:

How do you guys feel about 10 team leagues vs 12 team leagues?

We started our first fantasy football league last year with 8 teams, and this year we have enough for 10 teams and may have enough for 12. Is there much of a difference between 10 and 12 team leagues or is it pretty much the same once you get past 8?

I prefer 20.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

89 posted:

0RB? Like...drafting WR/WR and then going RB?

No, like loading up on wrs and maybe a tight end until rounds 5 or 6

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Forever_Peace posted:

Well that's the idea behind most of the strategies I've programmed and simulated, anyways! The main issue is how to define "best" (mean rank? ADP? upside? VORP?) and how to define "need" (e.g. all other things equal, how much do you need a 3rd RB? A Fourth? The 1st TE? The second QB?).

Nobody needs a TE

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Nobody needs a TE

Early TE? Points for free.
Early Quarterback? Roster will lack.
Early Wideout? Playoffs in doubt.
Early RB2? There's no fooling you.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Turns out that if you force everybody to draft EXACTLY by rank, and value need in EXACTLY the same way, there is a single "perfect" solution to every draft. Here's the "exact rank" draft boards for different sizes of leagues (using rankings that are a few weeks old because I am lazy as gently caress)

8:

Chris Ivory in the 12th :laffo:

10:

12:

14:

Team #9 gonna tear that league apart

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 25, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Your rankings are messed up Charles Sims should be 1.01

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

Your rankings are messed up Charles Sims should be 1.01

poo poo my bad yo,

here I simulated a "Metadraft" and results are pretty compelling if I do say so myself.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Forever_Peace posted:

poo poo my bad yo,

here I simulated a "Metadraft" and results are pretty compelling if I do say so myself.

Spider 2-Y Banana was a steal.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

poo poo my bad yo,

Team 4 and 9 are going to the title

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: New BeerSheets are up! :siren:

Also includes a custom request form.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer I sent you my stupid hell on earth league with garbage settings :getin:

As an aside I'm doing my first ever dynasty start up this year. I have pick 4. I want to go non-RB because of their short shelf lives (except maybe LeVeon or Lacy?).

Am I crazy in thinking

(1) LeVeon Bell
(2) Eddie Lacy
(3) ODB
(4) Luck

The idea of locking down Luck's entire career seems enticing to me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Beer I sent you my stupid hell on earth league with garbage settings :getin:

As an aside I'm doing my first ever dynasty start up this year. I have pick 4. I want to go non-RB because of their short shelf lives (except maybe LeVeon or Lacy?).

Am I crazy in thinking

(1) LeVeon Bell
(2) Eddie Lacy
(3) ODB
(4) Luck

The idea of locking down Luck's entire career seems enticing to me.

Any PPR? That's slightly early for where Lacy usually goes, he's more of a late 1st. But if you're feeling him, that's not the worst.

If it's 1 QB and standard settings, that's honestly too early for Luck too. You don't need to lock up a player for their entire career, you need to be maximizing value. You can trade a 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick for guys like Romo and Rivers every couple years and get close to Luck's production, which is something you can't reliably do at other positions.

I know some think OBJ is the #1 dynasty player, so you would have company picking him that early. However, he's much riskier than other top tier WRs. Why him over Brown, Dez, etc?

Bell at 4 is fine, and OBJ is popular there, though I don't agree really. Besides them, I'd go for top tier WRs before Luck or Lacy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RVProfootballer posted:

Any PPR? That's slightly early for where Lacy usually goes, he's more of a late 1st. But if you're feeling him, that's not the worst.

If it's 1 QB and standard settings, that's honestly too early for Luck too. You don't need to lock up a player for their entire career, you need to be maximizing value. You can trade a 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick for guys like Romo and Rivers every couple years and get close to Luck's production, which is something you can't reliably do at other positions.

I know some think OBJ is the #1 dynasty player, so you would have company picking him that early. However, he's much riskier than other top tier WRs. Why him over Brown, Dez, etc?

Bell at 4 is fine, and OBJ is popular there, though I don't agree really. Besides them, I'd go for top tier WRs before Luck or Lacy.

Edit: I should not be posting at 5AM.

jabro fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 26, 2015

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

jabro posted:

I am just going to bed right now and too drunk to say how completely wrong this is but Lacy is a top 3 pick. Someone else will jump beforehand to say why but if not I will when I wake up. But really what the gently caress.

Nah, he's right. Lacy has an ADP of 1.13 on one site. Like you said in your post, top picks are WRs because of their shelf lives: OBJ, Dez, Mike Evans, Brown

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any real significant difference in ADP between a 2 QB league and 1 QB + superflex with a 2 QB max roster size? I would think the 2 QB max roster size would lower QB value a small amount for essentially a 2 QB league since the worst QB available would be 20 in a 10 team league, so you don't need to worry about playing Geno Smith (also if somehow you are drafting QB # 20 because 19 went already, you can wait until the last round).

Also which 2 keepers should I keep (QB RBRB WRWR superflex! K D, normal scoring, 10 teams, 2 max QB on roster).

Russell Wilson - third round, this is the last year he can be kept
Gronkowski - 4th round, can be kept 2 more years
Kelvin Benjamin - 11th round, can be kept 2 more years

With essentially a 2 QB league, I want to keep Wilson, but it is also tempting to try and keep Benjamin for such a late pick, especially since it can be for an additional year assuming he does not regress a lot this year. Pretty sure I am going to keep Gronk since it seems he should have a pretty big point difference compared to TE#2.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Honestly I forgot about Antonio Brown when I put that together. I was shying away from Dez & DT for the #4 slot because we don't know at what point the QB situation becomes a dumpster fire in Dallas and Denver. I know DT produced with Tebow but he wasn't A1 top of the list with him.

Luck seemed a bit early but I think that stems from being influenced by a twitter argument I got into with an NFL.com guy who said Luck should be 1.01.

Also no PPR but 6 points per passing TD.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

jabro posted:

I am just going to bed right now and too drunk to say how completely wrong this is but Lacy is a top 3 pick. Someone else will jump beforehand to say why but if not I will when I wake up. But really what the gently caress.

Give me some examples then of what you personally would trade for Lacy. =D

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

How high can you reasonably take Le'veon assuming he's missing three games in redraft? Three games without your RB1 seems like a lot.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

How high can you reasonably take Le'veon assuming he's missing three games in redraft? Three games without your RB1 seems like a lot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Reddit loving sucks and apparently stealth moderated my BeerSheet post because it had a Google link. Updated version.

Pain of Mind posted:

Is there any real significant difference in ADP between a 2 QB league and 1 QB + superflex with a 2 QB max roster size? I would think the 2 QB max roster size would lower QB value a small amount for essentially a 2 QB league since the worst QB available would be 20 in a 10 team league, so you don't need to worry about playing Geno Smith (also if somehow you are drafting QB # 20 because 19 went already, you can wait until the last round).

Also which 2 keepers should I keep (QB RBRB WRWR superflex! K D, normal scoring, 10 teams, 2 max QB on roster).

Russell Wilson - third round, this is the last year he can be kept
Gronkowski - 4th round, can be kept 2 more years
Kelvin Benjamin - 11th round, can be kept 2 more years

With essentially a 2 QB league, I want to keep Wilson, but it is also tempting to try and keep Benjamin for such a late pick, especially since it can be for an additional year assuming he does not regress a lot this year. Pretty sure I am going to keep Gronk since it seems he should have a pretty big point difference compared to TE#2.

I would keep Wilson and Gronk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Forever_Peace posted:

Give me some examples then of what you personally would trade for Lacy. =D

For all intents and purposes in our league Lacy is maybe worth a third round pick if you're lucky. :)

• Locked thread