Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Accordion Man posted:

Not game related but this thread is pretty much the only active Kickstarter thread on the entire forums so,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smithsonian/reboot-the-suit-bring-back-neil-armstrongs-spacesu

It's sad as gently caress that the Smithsonian needs Kickstarter for this but you nerds better back it.
Thanks for posting this. It is sad indeed that the Smithsonian doesn't have sufficient funding to undertake the project otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RottenK posted:

ha ha what is this boring trash, the free market spoke and it doesn't needs this :smug:

pardon me, I have to go buy another $5000 worth of imaginary spaceships in hit videogame Star Citizen and then kill myself
People wasted $85 million on a lovely MMO that if even it comes out most likely won't last a year, but preserving an important relic of human history for future generations didn't even get funded the first day. :smithicide:

I know it'll get funded for sure at least.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There is also XO, another thing aiming to eat from the big table with FTL---though probably in a different and fancier sense than FTL. Unique among the many contenders to that throne, I think, is this one is out of the SquareEnix Collective side of things:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jumpdrive/xo-a-retro-sci-fi-strategy-game-for-pc-mac-linux/description

The goal isn't outlandish, and they seem to be taking cues from how the Bloodstained KS went as opposed to the "record breaking" Shenmue III---so that bodes well!

Speaking of FTL, what are those guys up to these days? I'm not seeing anything on their main page or twitter regarding any kind of new project, except mentions of Crypt of the Necrodancer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There is also XO, another thing aiming to eat from the big table with FTL---though probably in a different and fancier sense than FTL. Unique among the many contenders to that throne, I think, is this one is out of the SquareEnix Collective side of things:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jumpdrive/xo-a-retro-sci-fi-strategy-game-for-pc-mac-linux/description

The goal isn't outlandish, and they seem to be taking cues from how the Bloodstained KS went as opposed to the "record breaking" Shenmue III---so that bodes well!

So BSG but set entirely within the Homeworld strategy view. Not a bad idea, but it looks pretty limp in motion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So Defect has made its funding goal with a few days to go. I'm happy about that because it looks like a cool game I'd like to play. Having said that, it seems like they basically had a single contribution of around $10k on the third-last day. Does that seem a bit suspect to anyone else? One on hand, they already have most of the mechanics in place and an actual working demo that I've had some fun with. On the other hand, if they're artificially inflating their results in order to get the money, does that mean they're not going to have enough to finish the project? Looking at the funding graph I have a hard time believing the sort of jump that occurred on the 19th would happen naturally.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

By few days you mean few hours, right? It closes in 21 hours and only hit its goal earlier today. Anyway, while it's possible they're behind the large spike in pledges (I couldn't find anything that said it was a single large pledge, it could've been a bunch of smaller, yet still large pledges), they already have a completed base game, so I think the worst case scenario is they don't ship with as many missions and components as they originally planned on.

senrath fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 22, 2015

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

There was a small spike in new pledges around that time, and judging by the comments it seems fans were spruiking for the game on the Star Citizen subscribers-only forum. I could totally see a few dozen premium pledges from that demographic.

Fingers crossed they get a bit more in the last day, as it's always a bit dicey when the final result is very close to the asking amount. A few bounced pledges can be brutal.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013
Doubt it'd be the first dev to have a loan ready to make sure they make their mark, pretty sure I remember a kickstarter where they even mentioned planning it if it was necessary.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pheace posted:

Doubt it'd be the first dev to have a loan ready to make sure they make their mark, pretty sure I remember a kickstarter where they even mentioned planning it if it was necessary.

A couple of them have done it when they get close, or they know a whale that can push them over. It's not really a bad thing. Now when your entire kickstarter is an American Football game that appears to be entirely funded by dodgy donations...(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hav posted:

A couple of them have done it when they get close, or they know a whale that can push them over. It's not really a bad thing. Now when your entire kickstarter is an American Football game that appears to be entirely funded by dodgy donations...(https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o)

quote:

183 backers pledged $171,009 to help bring this project to life.

Lol, an average of over nine hundred dollars per backer, including 8 "people" who "paid" $10k each for a VIP Superbowl party, of which there is no record of it ever occurring. Plus, it's an Ouya game so they apparently got fund-matched from them. I wonder if this sort of thing had anything to do with Ouya going under...

edit: apparently one of the sock puppet accounts that "backed" it used the details of a missing person. What a bunch of pricks.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 23, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It certainly helped Ouya going under, but it was more a symptom than a cause.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apparently they opted out of the fund-matching program afterwards, I wonder what exactly went down regarding that.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I think it turned out it was a bunch of rather suspect chinese lawyers behind the whole thing. I think their plan was to repeatedly exploit the ridiculous matching funds program Ouya were doing at the time - raise funds on kickstarter, have Ouya double it, give like 5k to some mobile dev house to make a barely functional game, repeat.

I remember in the Ouya thread at the time one guy showed up claiming that his uncle worked for Nintendo friends worked for the software sweatshop those guys were apparently planning to hire - and repeatedly insisted despite evidence that there was nothing untoward going on here.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
I'm surprised that there isn't an update here about the red ash anime. So a few days ago, when the project was looking like it wouldn't get funded, comcept decided to double down on shady by saying they are now able to provide 12 minutes, plus a six minute music video for the credits, for the same 150k they were asking for 5 minutes of animation. That means after it gets doled out to studio 4c, they 'happily agreed' to do nearly 4x the work for 4k/minute of animation, which is less than half the going rate for animation, much less stellar animation from a legendary studio.

Note the push goal is still budgeted at 250k for the next 8 minutes of animation.

Also red ash the game recently had a donation incentive for the full game, if you up your pledge to $80, when they are struggling to get even the prologue out the door. It's like they are purposefully milking there fan base because they can.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Autechresaint posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't an update here about the red ash anime.
I don't think anybody's actually interested except in hearing about how trainwrecky it is.

So thanks for the update that's hilarious. I suspect that the studio is planning to not do 4x as much work but cut a shitload of corners.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Autechresaint posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't an update here about the red ash anime. So a few days ago, when the project was looking like it wouldn't get funded, comcept decided to double down on shady by saying they are now able to provide 12 minutes, plus a six minute music video for the credits, for the same 150k they were asking for 5 minutes of animation. That means after it gets doled out to studio 4c, they 'happily agreed' to do nearly 4x the work for 4k/minute of animation, which is less than half the going rate for animation, much less stellar animation from a legendary studio.

Note the push goal is still budgeted at 250k for the next 8 minutes of animation.

Also red ash the game recently had a donation incentive for the full game, if you up your pledge to $80, when they are struggling to get even the prologue out the door. It's like they are purposefully milking there fan base because they can.

You forgot to say that because of the longer runtime, Blurays will be available from the start.

Comcept isn't working on the Anime and the money is going straight to Studio 4°C. Studio 4°C is biting the bullet because paying $25 for 5 minutes is not really a good incentive. 4° also has their own website for backing such projects, so funds can be secured after the Kickstarter.
They probably already have given up getting a full length movie made.
There's nothing to note about the unchanged stretchgoal. They can't pay the whole project out of their own pockets.

The second game is to be developed using outside funds, with the first setting up the IP and making it impossible for a publisher to sit on it.
People who backed at least $49 before the announcement also have the privilege to it. If you are getting the boxed game, you qualify automatically. So people who are interested in the actual rewards get it as a bonus.

At least there is hope that they will show some progress from their development contractor and finally annouce what console they'll support.
If they went out all the way from the beginning by showing more than one stretchgoal and providing more information instead of touring conventions and expos, they might have had a better start.

-e-

Zereth posted:

I don't think anybody's actually interested except in hearing about how trainwrecky it is.

So thanks for the update that's hilarious. I suspect that the studio is planning to not do 4x as much work but cut a shitload of corners.
Since they animate in-house, they'll simply cover the paychecks themselves. And hope more people will pick it up. After all they are starting their crowdfunding site with this project.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Meanwhile, Refract just spent about 3 weeks updating the middleware for the menus in Distance. Mostly this means all work done later down the line will be much faster, and also :woop: MOUSE SUPPORTED MENUS :woop:

The next update is likely to have these mousey menus and a whole lot of changes to the Adventure mode.

Man, ain't that pretty? :allears:

edit: Oh, and the Experimental branch recently moved to Unity 5 and they want feedback on how they did with bringing the car physics over. If you're into being an insufferable perfectionist over car handling and physics, sign onto that and give your feedback on the Steam forums. Really, they want to hear every single detail.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The next Shadowrun game is officially due for August 20.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Jesus they work fast

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Mitch here, with just enough bandwidth to pull my head out of polishing the game to let you know that Shadowrun: Hong Kong has an official release date! During the Kickstarter, we estimated that we would release the game in August… and that’s why we’re releasing the game in August!
August 20th, 2015 at 10am PST, to be specific. On Steam, GoG, & Humble.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

Jesus they work fast

They made good gamemaking tools and they're using the hell out of them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's nice hearing about a new game and not having to wait 2-3 years for it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hopefully, this one comes out in a good enough state design-wise that they don't need to release a director's cut in a year. :v:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It... was already in a good enough state when it came out? That's when I beat it, it was really good already. They just added even more cool poo poo to it later.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Megazver posted:

It... was already in a good enough state when it came out? That's when I beat it, it was really good already. They just added even more cool poo poo to it later.

Yeah, I mean deadman's switch had alot going on that was wrong with it but Dragonfall was great from the start. Can't wait for this one too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1303417

Looks good.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hopefully, this one comes out in a good enough state design-wise that they don't need to release a director's cut in a year. :v:
Vanilla Dragonfall was totally fine though. The DC version just added more stuff and made it better.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What's that thing he's firing on?

Edit:She, apparently.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Psyched to see more and more adventure games on KS. This time it's the weirdly-named Tsioque, from the makers of Tormentum Dark Sorrow.

There's a demo, too, and I played it. There are things I love and things I don't.

Things to love: incredible amount of animation. Granted, it's at a lower fps, but there are boatloads of it. Custom, unique animations for everything from climbing stairs to picking up objects... the creator of the game is an award-winning Polish animator and yes, he knows his stuff (even though he's probably a masochist for still using Flash in TYOOL 2015).

Get a load o' these fellas:

Things not to love: probably because of all the custom walk animations, you can't really walk around environments except on 1 or 2 predetermined paths, at least from what I've played. There's very little dialogue (the protagonist hadn't spoken as far as I made it), and something I particularly detest, time-based puzzles. I mean this is supposed to be a game that kids can play, too - I got stuck like 5 mins into the game and after patiently repeating the same unskippable sequence 6 times I had to quit and go back to working. It's also very apparently geared toward a younger audience.

Either way, the art and animation are lovely, and they've already put 2 years into making it, I hope they fund.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Finally, another game in the Dodge/Burn-punk art style to join the Deadly Rooms of Death series.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ouya stretch goal? What year is it?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mr Underhill posted:

Get a load o' these fellas:

You can tell it's traditional animation because the patterns don't animate. :allears:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

SupSuper posted:

You can tell it's traditional animation because the patterns don't animate. :allears:

Yeah, that's...not so good. Especially visible in the "you got caught" cutscene, where, since characters are up close, the absolute hideousness of the flash line rears its repulsive head, too.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

SupSuper posted:

I can't believe they went to Stan's Previously Owned Minions! They'll never get a good deal that way!

In all seriousness though, I haven't played the demo or whatever they've got so I don't know if it happens in the game too, but could that thing in the image just be lovely GIF dithering at work? I'm fairly certain there's a few ways to wind up with that effect on a GIF without trying. I wouldn't make any attempt to defend something so distracting if it's actually in the game in this day and age.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Cheez posted:

I can't believe they went to Stan's Previously Owned Minions! They'll never get a good deal that way!

In all seriousness though, I haven't played the demo or whatever they've got so I don't know if it happens in the game too, but could that thing in the image just be lovely GIF dithering at work? I'm fairly certain there's a few ways to wind up with that effect on a GIF without trying. I wouldn't make any attempt to defend something so distracting if it's actually in the game in this day and age.

Nope, the textures don't move. Well, it's understandable, in 2d traditional you either go that way or just flat color and no texture at all, animating that chainmail would probably take over their entire budget.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'd rather have a game with nice animation with lazy patterns than another spindly-limbed faceless character pixel art game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

And the award for "least appropriate change of subject into whining about pixel art" goes to

BattleMaster posted:

I'd rather have a game with nice animation with lazy patterns than another spindly-limbed faceless character pixel art game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Prop Wash posted:

And the award for "least appropriate change of subject into whining about pixel art" goes to

Lol I'm sorry about your lovely pixel art games I guess.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's okay to not like things but you don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

People use pixel art for lots of reasons, including just to keep production costs low. Whining indie games don't meet your gold standard for Acceptable Applications of Pixel Art is really tiresome and often missing the point entirely