Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

revmoo posted:

Yeah same for the most part. Really annoying though. "This dude's gonna pull out in front of me damnit. Fucker, there he goes. Ok put the binders on, lay on the horn. Oh he noticed me halfway and only pulled partially into the road. Great, now to row six gears back to cruising speed again" *repeat five times on a single ride*

I simply cannot believe you are being diligent and still seeing 5 close calls a day. I've had less close calls with traffic than that in the 9 years I've been riding; seen more close calls with wildlife than traffic.

The way I see it, you're either picking poor lane position and stuff so people have a hard time seeing you, your hazard scanning routine hasn't become subconscious, or you are dwelling too much over every little idiotic thing you see on the road. If spotting a hazard is really annoying for you, maybe riding on public roads isn't your thing, because that's what street riding is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

I simply cannot believe you are being diligent and still seeing 5 close calls a day. I've had less close calls with traffic than that in the 9 years I've been riding; seen more close calls with wildlife than traffic.

The way I see it, you're either picking poor lane position and stuff so people have a hard time seeing you, your hazard scanning routine hasn't become subconscious, or you are dwelling too much over every little idiotic thing you see on the road. If spotting a hazard is really annoying for you, maybe riding on public roads isn't your thing, because that's what street riding is.

My guess is it's the latter/a difference in opinion on what qualifies as a "close call".

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 24, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I don't know, dude. Maybe once you've done 5000 miles you'll have enough experience to say something like that. Until then, you probably haven't had enough of a sample size to know if 5 close calls a day really is that much.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

clutchpuck posted:

Well I said before I've only really had maybe two actual close calls, but I've had to avoid probably hundreds of incidents that would have become accidents without my direct and immediate intervention. Look I can't control stuff like people driving on the wrong side of the road around blind curves, swerving across four lanes at once, trying to use their car as a weapon because you honked to avoid a collision, etc. These fuckers just suck at driving. Any time I have family or friends in from out of town I get the same reaction "What in the gently caress is going on in this city?!"

Anyway, helmet cam's on the way so I'll post up some videos later and we can all pick my riding style apart.

Also saw this choice nugget:

quote:

TALLAHASSEE -- Floridians are failing the state's written driver's license test in record numbers with three out of every five flunking through the first six months of 2015.

State officials expected some applicants would have trouble adjusting to a new written test implemented in January but acknowledge it erupted into an unexpected problem when they discovered more than 80 percent of drivers in some counties were unable to pass.

That prompted state officials to dig through the test looking for flawed questions and removing them from future exams to try to lift test scores, said Boyd Dickerson-Walden, director of the Division of Motor Services for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

"What we are doing is making adjustments to them or leaving them out," Dickerson-Walden said. He insists it is not a bid to make the test easier. It is more about pulling out questions not be clearly worded.

Even with those fixes, more than half of test takers in June either flunked or gave up, leaving Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet far shy of the state goal of a 70 percent passing rate.

Funny part is, I find driving in Florida to be much more relaxing than here.

nsaP posted:

Whereabouts you live in the ville? I'll ride down and meet you somewhere in the sticks in the middle and I'll vouch for you. Screw these assholes.

Pretty central, I'm about five mins from downtown. I'm down to meet up anywhere within Ninja 300 seat-tolerable range (about 50 miles in any direction). hmu

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I got buzzed by a cyclist who thought he was hot poo poo while waiting for a red to change. He blasted right through the intersection and I was so disappointed that nothing happened to him.

You could have happened to him... just sayin

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

Pretty central, I'm about five mins from downtown. I'm down to meet up anywhere within Ninja 300 seat-tolerable range (about 50 miles in any direction). hmu

I dunno man, 50 miles being tolerable isn't helping your cred...that's like around carrolton right? Know of anything decent around there?

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/843/Routes/Kentucky-Rt-227.html

That one sounds nice, probably about a 180 mile loop for you

edit: also lol, before I saw the posts after your latest incident post I said this in irc

revmoo posted:

Anyway, helmet cam's on the way so I'll post up some videos later and we can all pick my riding style apart.

nsaP i think we should all pitch in to buy revmoo a gopro

nsaP fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 24, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

nsaP posted:

I dunno man, 50 miles being tolerable isn't helping your cred...that's like around carrolton right? Know of anything decent around there?

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/843/Routes/Kentucky-Rt-227.html

That one sounds nice

Usually when I go up that direction I hit the Madison area. That route looks fun though, I'm down. Hell I'd be up for it over the weekend if you want. Start north and go south, or start south and go north?

And seriously the 300 seat is a plank.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah can't do this weekend but maybe next, gotta check in with a buddy who lives down there and maybe I could make it into a weekend

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Also saw this choice nugget:
(Florida can't pass)

poo poo this ain't no No Driver Left Behind poo poo is it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

revmoo posted:

Well I said before I've only really had maybe two actual close calls, but I've had to avoid probably hundreds of incidents that would have become accidents without my direct and immediate intervention. Look I can't control stuff like people driving on the wrong side of the road around blind curves, swerving across four lanes at once, trying to use their car as a weapon because you honked to avoid a collision, etc. These fuckers just suck at driving. Any time I have family or friends in from out of town I get the same reaction "What in the gently caress is going on in this city?!"

This is what indicates to me that you're not preparing enough. If you're seeing situations where you have to take direct and immediate action to avoid an accident, your choice of lanes position, maintenance of sight lines, etc, should be improved to preempt having to make emergency maneuvers.

For example, I had this encounter today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKyg8TYceI

If I had just dived for the split immediately, I would have gotten rear-ended at high speed - but by proceeding carefully and cautiously, it was a non-issue - no emergency stop, just didn't merge and waited for the guy to pass.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

Even with those fixes, more than half of test takers in June either flunked or gave up, leaving Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet far shy of the state goal of a 70 percent passing rate.

Wait, they think they need to be above 70%? No, gently caress that, if these people can't drive, they don't need to be licensed. It's a privilege, not a right. If they can't pass the test, they've no more right to drive than someone who can't pass medical school has a right to be a doctor.

Hell, put me in charge, I'd make it so there's a below 50% pass rate, and if it ever gets higher than that, it's time to make the test harder to make sure the least capable aren't getting behind the wheel.

Z3n posted:

If I had just dived for the split immediately, I would have gotten rear-ended at high speed - but by proceeding carefully and cautiously, it was a non-issue - no emergency stop, just didn't merge and waited for the guy to pass.

Yup, street riding is all about knowing when you should be aggressive and go for the opening, and when to just back way the hell off and let the fuckery work itself out while you're at a safe distance. If you always try to force your way through traffic, it will inevitably end badly.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

This is what indicates to me that you're not preparing enough. If you're seeing situations where you have to take direct and immediate action to avoid an accident, your choice of lanes position, maintenance of sight lines, etc, should be improved to preempt having to make emergency maneuvers.

For example, I had this encounter today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aKyg8TYceI

I love the subtle check to see if the gopro was recording afterwards. I do the same thing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Floridians are failing the state's written driver's license test in record numbers

An inconvenient truth. Not like, can't find an ATM inconvenient, more like altering the course of history inconvenient.

But hardly a surprise.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't even know what happened here. This semi was on the shoulder of my lane. He started pulling out onto the road, so I went to pass him (legally), and he... continued on fully into the opposing lane and forced me into the grass/mini shoulder. He wasn't swinging wide for a turn, there weren't any on the right, and then he just kinda sat there in the wrong lane afterwards. :psyduck: :confused:

Backroads are wild sometimes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

M42 posted:

I don't even know what happened here. This semi was on the shoulder of my lane. He started pulling out onto the road, so I went to pass him (legally), and he... continued on fully into the opposing lane and forced me into the grass/mini shoulder. He wasn't swinging wide for a turn, there weren't any on the right, and then he just kinda sat there in the wrong lane afterwards. :psyduck: :confused:

Hahah, construction equipment driver. Had one of those unloading at work a few months back; huge flatbed with a gigantic backhoe on it. While figuring out where he was dropping off he was talking weird the whole time but meh, whatever. Finally I gave him a tip on the truck route out of the area and he thanked me and said it would be bad to get pulled over because "I am sooo high right now man hahahah just kidding that would be bad". I gave him a look and pretended I didn't hear him.

I was pretty impressed with the way he manouvered that big fucker off the rig, and starting thinking he was joking until he dropped the spare backhoe attachment off the bucket from 12 feet in the air, causing a bigass dent in our asphalt. At that point I mentioned his comment to the head contractor who was nearbye. He raised an eyebrow before throwing his head in the air and laughed wildly.

That's just how you get when you drink several 64oz Monsters before lunch every day.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

M42 posted:

I work with truckers (mostly vacuum and tanker drivers). Most of them are good people and competent at their job.

That said, do not trust truckers to not do the dumbest poo poo possible. Trust me.

VVV Also that. They usually turn very wide for a reason. Sitting there is odd, but turning wide is basically SOP for long rear end trailers like that.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 26, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M42 posted:

Post the video. It's a long vehicle so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to get the rear wheels off of the shoulder as quickly as possible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Floridians are failing the state's written driver's license test in record numbers

An inconvenient truth. Not like, can't find an ATM inconvenient, more like altering the course of history inconvenient.

But hardly a surprise.

Just get cash cards like civilised countries, loving hell.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Drug trade and tax-evading small businesses often take cash only, and our cash cards and bank cards are one and the same.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

I'd like to see the video as well.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My wife recently had to take the FL driving test as she'd just moved to the U.S. It seems that she barley passed after studying the FL drivers book and doing multiple practice exams.

I can attest that she's a good driver and knows the rules, the Florida test is just flat out poorly written and worded to the point that questions can take on different meanings depending on context, which is never provided. Of course this is before they tried to fix most of those issues.

On the flip side, the practice test is astoundingly easy and doesn't prove that you can do anything other than navigate a parking lot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
M42 is a loose cannon just like Slavvy and will probably get arrested soon for riding a red dirt bike

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'll try to remember to post it up sometime this week. Not that I'm blameless, since I was doing some pretty spirited riding and didn't slow down upon seeing it moving, just went to pass instead. If I had actually stopped and waited for him to do whatever, there wouldn't have been a problem at all :v:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

M42 is a loose cannon just like Slavvy and will probably get arrested soon for riding a red dirt bike

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

A cannon pointed at the rear end end of a truck :v:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1_DP-glXAcU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"motovlogs" are stupid as hell. There I said it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've given many of them a shot and haven't found one yet that didn't bore me to all hell. Maybe if you made a list of new rider things to talk about and gave it a point, but most of them are just dummies rambling about dumb.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I watched a few a couple times on the second monitor while working or doing other boring things, but there's better things to do or watch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nsaP posted:

I've given many of them a shot and haven't found one yet that didn't bore me to all hell. Maybe if you made a list of new rider things to talk about and gave it a point, but most of them are just dummies rambling about dumb.

So basically regular vlogs, delivered from the back of a bike.

This guy is pretty good, does things like riding and maintenance tips, bike and gear reviews.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I watch em during winter when I can't ride. I tried doing one, but realized I suck at talking about nothing :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

M42 posted:

I'll try to remember to post it up sometime this week. Not that I'm blameless, since I was doing some pretty spirited riding and didn't slow down upon seeing it moving, just went to pass instead. If I had actually stopped and waited for him to do whatever, there wouldn't have been a problem at all :v:

That's pretty much it. You have to remember that only those very front wheels turn and the rear wheels are 50 feet back or whatever. If he only pulls into his lane, those rear wheels will be running down the shoulder for a long time before they catch up and get on the road. By swinging out real wide into the other lane and then back over, the rear axles get on the road a lot sooner.

He probably either a)didn't see you coming or b) saw you but thought you were farther away/would wait behind him.

This was just a free learning experience for you. You always gotta be extra cautious when passing people when they aren't acting in a predictable manner. There are multiple No Prisoners clips where the rider sees a car slowing in front of them for no apparent reason and so they decided to pass them on the left. Only the reason the car was slowing was to make a left turn that they didn't signal.

My general rule is only to make passes like that when people are acting predictably.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

That's pretty much it. You have to remember that only those very front wheels turn and the rear wheels are 50 feet back or whatever. If he only pulls into his lane, those rear wheels will be running down the shoulder for a long time before they catch up and get on the road. By swinging out real wide into the other lane and then back over, the rear axles get on the road a lot sooner.

He probably either a)didn't see you coming or b) saw you but thought you were farther away/would wait behind him.

This was just a free learning experience for you. You always gotta be extra cautious when passing people when they aren't acting in a predictable manner. There are multiple No Prisoners clips where the rider sees a car slowing in front of them for no apparent reason and so they decided to pass them on the left. Only the reason the car was slowing was to make a left turn that they didn't signal.

My general rule is only to make passes like that when people are acting predictably.

One of my instructors put it much more succinctly but the gist of what he said was "Always be paranoid if you're suddenly catching up to someone without accelerating". IME this actually counts double with no brake lights - if people are confused about what they're going to do next they tend to lift off the throttle, so keep a very close eye on them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And if they're unsure about where they're going they won't look over their shoulder when they suddenly realize they need to turn RIGHT NOW.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Drug trade and tax-evading small businesses often take cash only

Drugs and buying things off trademe (like craigslist) are the only two reasons me or anyone I know ever needs cash bigger than a two dollar coin.

I thought they just shot you over there.

M42 posted:

I watch em during winter when I can't ride. I tried doing one, but realized I suck at talking about nothing :v:

Wait, you live in a place with an actual winter?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good post nsaP. I do that most of the time, but sometimes forget myself after a few hours on completely empty roads. Certainly won't next time.

Slavvy posted:

Wait, you live in a place with an actual winter?

:qq: 5 months of icy sanded hell

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

Drugs and buying things off trademe (like craigslist) are the only two reasons me or anyone I know ever needs cash bigger than a two dollar coin.

I've bought vehicles with cash on several occasions. The most I've carried with me at one time is $6000, and the times I've had larger amounts on me was with legit dealers rather than Craislist sellers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Good post nsaP. I do that most of the time, but sometimes forget myself after a few hours on completely empty roads. Certainly won't next time.

I get this with engine revs. When I ride around in traffic and going to work I feel like an enormous dickhead if I rev the motor over what I think of as the 'noisy oval office' threshold (around 4,500rpm on the hornet) and feel a vague sense of shame every time I do so.

But if I go on a spirited ride in the country I roll back into town with the engine casually sitting at ~5000 grand feeling like the cars are going walking speed. It takes longer to change down a gear mentally than it does to slow the bike down from triply illegal speeds.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

revmoo posted:

I've bought vehicles with cash on several occasions. The most I've carried with me at one time is $6000, and the times I've had larger amounts on me was with legit dealers rather than Craislist sellers.

I'd rather pay the five bucks or whatever and carry the cashier's check if I'm going to the bank anyways, but hey, why not live dangerously?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My cutoff for putting money through the bank is 8k. Anything less and I'll stick with cash if it's convenient. A bit risky, yes, but while losing 8 large would be pretty lovely it wouldn't be the end of the world and the odds of something happening is unlikely.

Funny thing is, I'm more afraid of police when traveling with car funds than I am criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In general I am way more wary of police than I am of criminals.