Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

he accelerates AGAIN! NAIRO! VA! VA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

He's showing some pain now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

maybe the drain cover will defeat froome

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
34 seconds gained on Froome. Not enough. :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BabyFur Denny posted:

34 seconds gained on Froome. Not enough. :(

Could take minutes on him tomorrow?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

He needs like 2 and a half to make a difference.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Could take minutes on him tomorrow?

Someone said earlier that Froome's been adamant about how much he wants to win on L'Alpe, so this could be losing time now to gain some tomorrow

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

He needs like 2 and a half to make a difference.

If someone goes up the road early and kills his team it could happen.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Battle for podium spots tomorrow could be mint.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Great ride from Nibali

Some spectator spat in Froome's face apparently

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Haha Vino talking about loyalty and respect, it's going exactly how you'd think. "We didn't know Froome had a problem, we don't have eyes on the back of our head" All the while there is split screen of them showing Nibali watching Froome slow down and then he looks back to see Froome going backwards in the group and launches his attack.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Pocket posted:

Haha Vino talking about loyalty and respect, it's going exactly how you'd think. "We didn't know Froome had a problem, we don't have eyes on the back of our head" All the while there is split screen of them showing Nibali watching Froome slow down and then he looks back to see Froome going backwards in the group and launches his attack.

I doubt Nibali knew the nature of Froome's difficulty based on glancing back, but:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Pocket posted:

There's a great shot from the front of the group where another Astana rider points at Froome and talks to Nibali and then he looks back and immediately attacks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

Great ride from Nibali

Some spectator spat in Froome's face apparently

https://twitter.com/TV2SPORTdk/status/624612734663921665

Now with video!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Paul Kimmage says he was dropped from BBC Newsnight last night at the last minute as they claimed another story was on instead. They actually ran the piece but with a guy from the Times lmao

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Thassa pathetic human being.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Valverde is retarded

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Xabi posted:

Thassa pathetic human being.

I agree, Froome is pathetic

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Parody Threads posted:

I agree, Froome is pathetic

he said human

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

Hegay posted:

he said human

Well yeah but his post makes no sense otherwise so I let it slide

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ha, the itv highlights have shown multiple replays of nibbles looking directly at froome mixed in with him denying it all

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Ha, the itv highlights have shown multiple replays of nibbles looking directly at froome mixed in with him denying it all

Thank you :)

I hope it happens again tomorrow. I injured my knee so I won't be on Alpe D'Huez tomorrow. Cycling gods taketh as easily as they giveth :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Personally, I think it's a dick move

Part of the attraction of cycling is all the gentleman's agreements that go on, and I like that

However

the drama and scandal it creates does rather make up for it all

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 24, 2015

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I am laughing at Froome being furious about someone down by 8 minutes attacking the potential podium finishers who were in his group when Froome had a momentary problem that took almost no effort to recover from.

Froome would probably burst into tears on live TV if anyone dared attack him when his power meter inevitably overloads from too much input.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can't even begin to imagine the rage from this thread if it was froome attacking Bert or Nibbles with a mechanical

dema
Aug 13, 2006

There was a lot of butt hurt with Contador and Schleck but that was a fairly different situation.

Back when everyone here, myself included, was cheering for Andy Schleck. Hah!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Dutch corner is apparently getting some police to make sure no-one punches froome off his bike.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

dema posted:

There was a lot of butt hurt with Contador and Schleck but that was a fairly different situation.

Back when everyone here, myself included, was cheering for Andy Schleck. Hah!

The good old days of supporting the bros in the anyone but Contador Tour.

So much of cycling is supporting whoever can beat the riders you don't like.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
What happened, was Froome's inhaler malfunctioning?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

julian assflange posted:

Paul Kimmage says he was dropped from BBC Newsnight last night at the last minute as they claimed another story was on instead. They actually ran the piece but with a guy from the Times lmao

yeah that was a poo poo segment, basically boiled down to "those frenchies are just jealous the british are winning! sky released full data and they still aren't happy!"

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Parody Threads posted:

Well yeah but his post makes no sense otherwise so I let it slide
keep your alans on, mister

It's been a poo poo tour IMO and I blame it all on Movistar actually.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Pocket posted:

The good old days of supporting the bros in the anyone but Contador Tour.

So much of cycling is supporting whoever can beat the riders you don't like.

Schleck on the Galabier solo breakaway was pretty badass

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
The Schlecks and co were at least exciting to watch. You'd get to see attacks and dramatic blowups among isolated leaders on the big climbs instead of a spin to the top at Froome's most comfortable power output.
Half of the enjoyment came from watching a handful of leaders looking at each other, arguing over who should chase down an attack.
The blame isn't all on Sky, the other teams (Movistar, I'm looking at you) really should have made a better tactical effort counter the Skytrain instead of riding conservatively until they're dropped.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
If Quintana hadn't lost so much time in the first week tomorrow would actually be exciting.
As it is I'm just hoping Froome doesn't win on the Alpe.

Also I'm not sure what more Movistar could do here; Froome has been obviously the strongest since the first mountain stage, hanging on and waiting for a potential collapse by him/and or his team might not be the most exciting thing but it did give them a chance, whereas a long range attack would have likely just meant throwing away any opportunity for victory(no matter how slight).

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
*edit* Nevermind. Nibali's lie was silly since the video proves him wrong, but the attack really wasn't relevant for the yellow jersey.

Xir fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 25, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know that Movistar is really to blame. It's pretty clear that none of the teams could beat the Skytrain if they ~just worked a little harder~, it'd be more exciting if they just dedicated themselves to preventing Froome from winning but that's a weird thing to expect from a team.
Doping or not I don't remember Contador or Astana being nearly as much stronger than their competitors as Froome/Sky.

Also it'd be nice if the NBC commentators commented on the race instead of spending half an hour talking about how awful Nibali is for attacking the ordained winner, unwritten rule or no.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
It's clear to everyone that just pushing the pedals a little harder isn't how anyone expects the Skytrain to be countered. Aggressive tactics don't necessarily mean long-range doomed attacks. Froome is strongest when he's surrounded by his minions, organised attempts to isolate him or at least reduce his entourage weren't seen enough earlier in the race in my opinion.
Movistar gets the honourable mention for having two riders in a great position overall and instead of capitalising on this tactical advantage, they seem reluctant to risk a podium place for a shot at winning.
Nibali did a reasonable job here, I think his tactics have been solid this year (if controversial) but it's a shame about his legs. His GC move on the cobbles last year really endeared him to me and is a perfect example of the kind of tactics that make these bike races interesting to me.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

James Garfield posted:

I don't know that Movistar is really to blame. It's pretty clear that none of the teams could beat the Skytrain if they ~just worked a little harder~

i dunno. the skytrain (or froome himself) has not looked anywhere near as strong as usual this year imo. look what happened the last days when teams started pushing - a lot of the domestiques dropped pretty fast. i think with some well timed attacks from movistar/tinkoff-saxo/astana froome could've been isolated (or left with maybe one guy) several times.
also would be helpful if valverde went for it instead of pursuing his weird vendetta against contador of course

Bjarne Riis isn't exactly a glowing tv personality, and given the lastest doping reveals I think having him on tv isn't really something you should do in the first place, but listening to him essentially calling tinkoff-saxo for tactical morons and movistar cowards is pretty funny. guy's got an axe to grind...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Froome will let mollema go off the front today as an offering for safe passage through Dutch corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

L. Ron Mexico posted:

i dunno. the skytrain (or froome himself) has not looked anywhere near as strong as usual this year imo. look what happened the last days when teams started pushing - a lot of the domestiques dropped pretty fast. i think with some well timed attacks from movistar/tinkoff-saxo/astana froome could've been isolated (or left with maybe one guy) several times.
also would be helpful if valverde went for it instead of pursuing his weird vendetta against contador of course

It still seems a bit like wishful thinking for all the other GC teams to club together just to beat Froome though. If Contador or Nibali aren't going to win I doubt they give a gently caress about killing themselves to tee up Quintana.

I hope we get some big attacks right at the start of the Croix de Fer today though. If Sky are in a position to regroup between the climbs it'll probably be hopeless.