Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I have a SERO Premium 500 account and I'm looking at adding a smartphone line to my account for my wife. Do I have any cheap options if I want to keep my SERO line intact? The website is of little help. Standalone smartphone plans are stupidly expensive compared to my $54/mo unlimited everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Magicaljesus posted:

I have a SERO Premium 500 account and I'm looking at adding a smartphone line to my account for my wife. Do I have any cheap options if I want to keep my SERO line intact? The website is of little help. Standalone smartphone plans are stupidly expensive compared to my $54/mo unlimited everything.

You should contact this guy, because while Sprint won't let you sell a SERO line to a new customer, they will let you transfer a SERO line as a second line to someone who already has SERO as their primary line.

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone want to buy my SERO line before I go cancelling it? Is that still a thing people do? I'm completely out of the loop with Sprint these days.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I was looking at getting a new phone on my sero as I'm currently using an evo 4g, however some of these phones say "If you want this device, you'll need to change your plan." and I can't figure out what I would need to change. I'm paying the

I'm on the $50 plan right now so it's not the extra $10 data plan.

Also, I'm looking into the $200 phones and have a choice between the s6, g4, nexus 6. What's the better choice?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

There are two versions of every plan, one for WiMax (which your evo has) and one for LTE (which current and future phones will have). The cost/features won't change at all, but their systems view it as a separate plan. Yes, it's dumb.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

There are two versions of every plan, one for WiMax (which your evo has) and one for LTE (which current and future phones will have). The cost/features won't change at all, but their systems view it as a separate plan. Yes, it's dumb.

Any smart phone newer than the Evo requires the premium data add on, if I recall correctly.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bigpolar posted:

Any smart phone newer than the Evo requires the premium data add on, if I recall correctly.

That's already the $50 plan.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

LorneReams posted:

That's already the $50 plan.

Aren't the base plans $30 and $50, then the data add ons are on top of that? I think it is a $10 premium phone charge and a $10 4g charge, but I don't remember exactly how they break it down.

I think if you go to a flip phone you can still drop back to the $30 plan.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Old, normal SERO is $30. The SERO Premium plans are $40 and $50.

Also, they warned pretty strongly that you may not be able to go back to the old plan later. I haven't heard of anyone trying it but I would guess that they would not allow it for anyone.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

It's just weird because I don't get this message with the g4 but do with the s6. Also, the m9 is actually $0 whereas the other two are $200. Is one of the others worth the extra $200? With the g4 I can also get a FREE Leather back cover, extra battery and battery charging cradle.

I'm not someone that upgrades phones very often so whatever I choose I'm going to be using for the next few years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

It's just weird because I don't get this message with the g4 but do with the s6. Also, the m9 is actually $0 whereas the other two are $200. Is one of the others worth the extra $200? With the g4 I can also get a FREE Leather back cover, extra battery and battery charging cradle.

I'm not someone that upgrades phones very often so whatever I choose I'm going to be using for the next few years.

In already seeing some M9s come back with issues, I would stay away from htc this phone cycle.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bigpolar posted:

Aren't the base plans $30 and $50, then the data add ons are on top of that? I think it is a $10 premium phone charge and a $10 4g charge, but I don't remember exactly how they break it down.

I think if you go to a flip phone you can still drop back to the $30 plan.

No, the old plan was $30. Then the new phones at the time required an upgrade to the 40$ plan. Then almost immediately, the new new phones required a $10 data plan, so your options were $30 poo poo tier phone, like one phone that was $40 that didn't include the data plan, and then everything else that was $40 + 10.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Old, normal SERO is $30. The SERO Premium plans are $40 and $50.

Also, they warned pretty strongly that you may not be able to go back to the old plan later. I haven't heard of anyone trying it but I would guess that they would not allow it for anyone.

This is right. The SERO $50 Premium/Whatever plan is the most expensive the plan gets, and should work with every Sprint phone out there. I just upgraded to the iPhone 6 in October and my total bill comes out to like $56.XX each month. Be sure to call the number in the OP when you're trying to do anything related to the SERO plan. You can also call them and ask things like "How much will it cost for me to add phone X to the plan?," etc. The website and it's information isn't always accurate.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You should contact this guy, because while Sprint won't let you sell a SERO line to a new customer, they will let you transfer a SERO line as a second line to someone who already has SERO as their primary line.

Good call.

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone want to buy my SERO line before I go cancelling it? Is that still a thing people do? I'm completely out of the loop with Sprint these days.

FlyingCheese, PM sent. Let me know if this is still available.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I got my g4 today. I tried activating it through the phone but that didn't work (said I had to upgrade) so I called the number in the op. The guy that answered wasn't able to activate it as it was an employee (sero) account so I'm thinking that number isn't the sero number anymore.

He however did transfer me to a different department which took a few minutes, however he checked in with me very often. She assured me that she will activate it without changing my account pricing. Treated me like royalty because of this plan, was pretty awesome.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can I bring this phone to Sprint https://oneplus.net/oneplus-one as a brand new customer? My parents want to get onto my Framily Share plan, they would be brand new customers and if they can bring an already unlocked phone over that would be great. Avoid paying Sprints crazy expensive monthly fee's for the phone itself.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
No, you cannot bring a OPO to Sprint. Only phones listed on Sprint's website or older phones that have the Sprint logo can be used on Sprint.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, you cannot bring a OPO to Sprint. Only phones listed on Sprint's website or older phones that have the Sprint logo can be used on Sprint.

Sprint is a bunch of horseshit faggots. Can may folks at least get on my Framily Shareplan? There's two spots available.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Do I get free unlimited roaming data with sero?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Officially, yes, but using too much roaming data is a classic way of getting Sprint to boot you. Whether you want that or not.

I'm pretty sure this is true for non-sero plans as well.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Officially, yes, but using too much roaming data is a classic way of getting Sprint to boot you. Whether you want that or not.

I'm pretty sure this is true for non-sero plans as well.

I've never understood how that works. Aren't roaming data speeds so slow it is nearly impossible to do anything?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That's been my experience but maybe it's not true everywhere? I don't know.

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
Is it worth staying with Sprint for Sprint Spark? I'm going to get a new phone soon, and I'm undecided on staying with Sprint or moving to Verizon. I'd either end up on Sprint Spark or Verizon's 4G network.

I don't use my phone much. When I do, it's generally to browse the Internet, so data speed affects me the most I guess. I also depend on GPS for maps when in new places. I do have unlimited data with Sprint, but I don't think I'd exceed Verizon's limit. To me it seems like whatever plan is cheaper is what I should go with.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krime posted:

I've never understood how that works. Aren't roaming data speeds so slow it is nearly impossible to do anything?
Some not-Verizon roaming agreements have actually been upgraded to 3G recently. So if you live in such regions, have an updated PRL, and spend a lot of time out of Sprint's coverage area, it'll be a lot easier to lose your account. Remember, the limit is ~300MB/mo.

Check out which regions have 3G EVDO roaming now: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7080-wahoo-us-cellullar-and-other-ev-do-roaming-is-live/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

Not if you put your phone on roam only (rooted phone to do it), tell Google music to start downloading music over cellular, and just leave the phone plugged up to a wall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm looking at my Sprint bill and I'm realizing that, in theory, I'm paying more on EPRP than I would be on their advertised 4 lines / 10GB share plan. $95 for the base 1600 minutes, 3x $10/line for Premium Data, 2x $14.99/line for the additional lines, and I'm at $154.98 before adding insurance and taxes. Total data usage on the account has never remotely approached 10GB/mo because Sprint's data network in Phoenix is still pretty poo poo.

Two of the lines are still under contract until later this year, one has been out of contract for quite a while. Is that $100/mo plan only an option if we buy new phones on it? I'm not looking for a long-term solution here, the two in-contract lines are going away as soon as their contracts expire, and the out-of-contract line is probably going to go to Ting once the other two lines are no longer my problem.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got roped back into working at a sprint retail store again. :smith:

At least this time I'm the manager.

.... :negative:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wizard of Smart posted:

So... Lord of the Flies, then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

Wireless is suffering. Are you at indirect again or corp?

While you are suffering, I encourage you to make a new sprint thread :)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

With the rumor that Sprint is going to be ditching contracts, what does that mean for us SERO users?

I'm out of contract now and will be purchasing a new phone within the next few weeks.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Krime posted:

With the rumor that Sprint is going to be ditching contracts, what does that mean for us SERO users?

I'm out of contract now and will be purchasing a new phone within the next few weeks.

Where did you hear this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Where did you hear this?

This was Verizon (which did happen) and ATT (very likely to happen soon). I haven't heard of a rumor on sprint ditching contracts.

That being said they probably will at some point. If so, SERO users will probably just have to pay more for phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

I updated the thread by deleting old info. I started looking at Sprint plans, but I really don't feel like delving into their plans. Would you be up for posting a synopsis?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After what must have been 10 years of losing money every quarter and every year, it looks like people are realizing Sprint might not be a good investment, and Sprint is realizing it might run out of money:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16264

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Where did you hear this?

Maybe I misunderstood something. Sounds like the rumor might not be out there. My bad.

Duckman2008 posted:

After what must have been 10 years of losing money every quarter and every year, it looks like people are realizing Sprint might not be a good investment, and Sprint is realizing it might run out of money:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=16264

What happens if they run out of cash mid 2016 as the link suggests?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

Maybe I misunderstood something. Sounds like the rumor might not be out there. My bad.

What happens if they run out of cash mid 2016 as the link suggests?

Lord knows. A company that big wouldn't just stop all at once. The article mentioned they might break up the company to move funds around, they could sell assets, or worst case be sold to one of the other 3.

If they keep it up maybe the FCC will reconsider allowing the Sprint/T-Mobile merger.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I updated the thread by deleting old info. I started looking at Sprint plans, but I really don't feel like delving into their plans. Would you be up for posting a synopsis?

Sure, I can do that in a bit.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm going to miss SERO. It's been a fun 10 years. I look at my wife's bill and weep.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just recently upgraded from a htc arrive on a $40 sero premium to a htc one m9. I'm a little disappointed because even though I was 99% sure I would have to pay the extra $10 data the salesman said a few times that my bill wouldn't go up at all. That's what I get for not calling the SERO line.

Not that $10 is a big deal, that's 4 less coffees I should buy a month. It's pretty nice having an android phone though. Even just for little phone things like being able to install the starbucks app and pay with a giftcard.

There's no chance I can call sprint up to complain to get my bill knocked down for a month or two is there?

edit: I thought I got banned posting in this thread, but that must've been the previous thread. I wanted to see my offending post. :(

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Cage posted:

I just recently upgraded from a htc arrive on a $40 sero premium to a htc one m9. I'm a little disappointed because even though I was 99% sure I would have to pay the extra $10 data the salesman said a few times that my bill wouldn't go up at all. That's what I get for not calling the SERO line.

Not that $10 is a big deal, that's 4 less coffees I should buy a month. It's pretty nice having an android phone though. Even just for little phone things like being able to install the starbucks app and pay with a giftcard.

There's no chance I can call sprint up to complain to get my bill knocked down for a month or two is there?

edit: I thought I got banned posting in this thread, but that must've been the previous thread. I wanted to see my offending post. :(

No, not really much hope in that. You may get a provisional credit but that's a slim chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have not been able to find anything close to SERO in price and offer, so complaining about paying $50 for unlimited data on a smartphone is a hard sell.