Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Hopefully. I will also add that I also agree with alg's assessment of his local community. I didn't have as much fun in that regional and some of the people a friend of mine played against soured him from playing in the PA regional.

Most folks weren't local. Slots filled up too fast and a lot of local players were soured by the initial cost. Some of the guys from Game Theory were in top 8 but that store is just...bad. I wouldn't even consider it part of the local community for me, we have about 20 players at my store, most of whom are chill as gently caress. There were a lot of people who drove a long way and kept talking about making the cut.

But yeah ruining a guy's day who drove from Memphis was ownage as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We came up from DC to Pittsburg but nobody had any real ambition for winning. We just came cuz lol x wangs and Roy runs fantastic tournaments and is v amicable.

I hope the NC regional next year is much more chill. I'll tell my friend but he'll prob be up for it by next year anyway.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Chill la Chill posted:

We came up from DC to Pittsburg but nobody had any real ambition for winning. We just came cuz lol x wangs and Roy runs fantastic tournaments and is v amicable.

I hope the NC regional next year is much more chill. I'll tell my friend but he'll prob be up for it by next year anyway.

Hopefully it won't be at a tiny store then either.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My own limited experience here in the Indianapolis area, playing tournaments at a couple of stores over the last year or so, is that about 25% of everyone who plays competitive games is an insufferable douchebag. I really try to be chill, even self-deprecating or at least humorous when I play games, especially with strangers in public. I host game nights with friends at my house, and learned a long time ago that if you're a poor sport or take advantage of newer players, nobody will have fun or want to game with you. Definitely feels like there's a significant amount of people out there, not just in x-wing, but any sort of competitive game, that just don't get that gloating and being malicious is a lovely thing to do.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

dogsarentdangerous posted:

There's a regular X-Wing meet-up every Tuesday evening at Patriot Games on Regent Street. Starts about 5ish and continues till 10.

Huh cool. I work in an office in the trinity so I wasn't aware of this, I don't really know much outside of that big square tbh. I might check it out.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Holy crap it came today! A day earlier than projected!

I also picked up a pill organizer, as someone here suggested for my tokens. Thanks!

Preempt: Yes, I do support my local game shop, I spent over $100 already on X-wing, but with less hours at work because of cutbacks now I can't be buying 2 figures a month as I did before (I play right now only at home against someone who doesn't have any figures, so I've been getting both Imp and Reb factions.), so I'm gonna try to buy figures now and then from my shop and get figures from amazon through gift cards I make through surveys.

Edit: Crap. I was trying to build a rebel swarm with everything I have, as a possible squad to run when my store finally starts X-wing tournaments.

so:
Rebel Operative (HWK-290), Prototype Pilot (A-Wing) + Chardaa Refit, Blue Squadron Pilot (B-Wing) and Knave Squadron Pilot (E-Wing) ... is 101 points. So close.

Edit 2: Instead I'm going to drop the A-wing, and swamp in Jan Ors with some upgrades (the HWK is pretty pitiful without a turret anyway). Now I have: Jan Ors+Determination+Blaster Turret (HWK-290), Blue Squadron Pilot (B-Wing), Knave Squadron Pilot (E-Wing) and Rookie Pilot (X-Wing). Not sure if this is really all that better against a fat han build and I'm better off with my newly modified "Focus Kyle!" squad which has 3 much better equipped/skilled units.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 20, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Pretty much all the Chicago people are chill but we get a lot of the surrounding Indiana/Wisc/Iowa people who've tried to name drop themselves. At a store championship last year some dude from Indiana took every opportunity to mention that his name was in the rulebook as a tester.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Where I play the biggest X-wing booster is this weirdo who makes sure to put out his CD player with a ratty OST and home made star wars action figures of certain characters in front of the cards.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Panzeh posted:

Where I play the biggest X-wing booster is this weirdo who makes sure to put out his CD player with a ratty OST and home made star wars action figures of certain characters in front of the cards.

Don't kinkshame me plz.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"At first I thought Wes was kidding." -Wedge Antilles
I'm sorry.

(I'm not at all sorry :devil:)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop:

zVxTeflon posted:

Pretty much all the Chicago people are chill but we get a lot of the surrounding Indiana/Wisc/Iowa people who've tried to name drop themselves. At a store championship last year some dude from Indiana took every opportunity to mention that his name was in the rulebook as a tester.

I didn't realize the local player Ron (Brannan) was even a tester until recently. He never talks about it and just says stuff like "yeah we thought..." When he talks about recent releases. Bob mentioned he was major juggler every opportunity he could too. And so does that guy who goes by Theorist hmm. I would've thought he knew enough people in the nova area cuz he lived here but apparently he was asking around last Wednesday about rides to Pittsburg. :psyduck: he's not exactly personable.

E: btw are you going to Gencon? If so are you gonna give us all the sweet info? :3:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 21, 2015

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I played the Wes, Luke, and Wedge list tonight and had positive results. I lost the first game learning some valuable information about formation flying, and won the other 2 games I played.

The first game was against Fat Han and 3 Z95s. I had way too tight of a formation, and even though the first round shots were exchanged, I killed 1 Z and wounded another, everything was way too close to not be blocked. I had shots on the falcon, but withou focus tokens, all I did was strip the shields. It was downhill from there as Wes was focus fired, and Luke didn't roll anything but double blanks on defense.

The second game, I spread everything out a bit, and it went much better. I had wedge start towards the middle and move slowly, with Wes and Luke going up the side to turn in towards the middle. It was against Keyan and a donut hole Dash, and the game was almost embarrassing. My dice were super hot, and his were stone cold. Add in a positioning mistake on his part (putting Dash directly in the middle of where all my X-Wings wound up), and I was able to vaporize Keyan while ignoring Dash. I could tell he gave up at that point.

The final game against Chewy and Corran was fairly simple, as my opponent was unwilling to put Corran at any risk, so I was able to ignore it most of the game, slowly whittling Chewy down from far range.

This list was a lot of fun, and was interesting to see who people tried to go for first. Wes seemed to be the popular target, but Luke was also shot at before Wedge as well. I think Wes is actually the least threat, especially once Wedge is off the board, so I was always surprised he was the priority target.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Wes is the priority target because no matter what he does hurts. Taking a shot of any kind, whether it hits or not, strips tokens and degrades either the defense against a follow up attack, or your offense by taking away a focus or a target lock. Luke can be "safely" ignored without inviting extra damage, and Wedge with Opportunist is really dependent on Wes to strip tokens. Taking out Wes hurts more than taking out the other two.

That said, ignoring Wedge loving hurts and part of why I love that list is because X-wings are dangerous, period, and ignoring any one of them is painful.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So to get into the game, I'm thinking

Core game
1 Xwing
1 big guy (outrider or falcon?)
Aces pack

For a decent spread of stuff?

Also, wrt scum, are there freelance type characters who are faction agnostic? Like, can the empire take Boba Fett as a freelancer?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 21, 2015

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Scum is it's own faction.

Empire can take Boba Fett, but not because he's scum. When you buy the Slave 1 expansion you get Empire pilot cards for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ShineDog posted:

Also, wrt scum, are there freelance type characters who are faction agnostic? Like, can the empire take Boba Fett as a freelancer?

Most Wanted provides Scum cards/bases/dials for you to use Firespray-31, Z-95, Y-Wing, and HWK-290 models with the Scum faction, but they are all a different set of characters than the Imperial and Rebel versions.

There are Scum versions of Boba Fett and Kath Scarlet (Firespray pilots), but they have different cards with different abilities. The Scum versions are easily better than the Imperial versions. Kath Scarlet is currently my favourite choice of large ship when flying Scum.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BattleMaster posted:

Most Wanted provides Scum cards/bases/dials for you to use Firespray-31, Z-95, Y-Wing, and HWK-290 models with the Scum faction, but they are all a different set of characters than the Imperial and Rebel versions.

There are Scum versions of Boba Fett and Kath Scarlet (Firespray pilots), but they have different cards with different abilities. The Scum versions are easily better than the Imperial versions. Kath Scarlet is currently my favourite choice of large ship when flying Scum.

Kath is amazing with her buttcannon but it's tough to fly it, i've found.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like to run her with Engine Upgrade, Push the Limit, and K4 Security Droid. I team her up with two Y-Wings or 4 Z-95s and try to maneuver so that the opponent's opening joust ends up between Kath's rear and the front of her goons.

I'm not a great player but when I pull it off it works very well.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Any suggestions for good partners for a fully kitted Whisper (gunner, fire control system, VI, advanced cloak, 45 points), which aren't a Firespray or a Decimator? I want to fly one, but I'm pretty tired of "big ship with small ship wingman" lists.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 22, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Why Accuracy Corrector if you already have gunner? FCS is one point cheaper and probably more effective.

As for your question, Whisper + Mini Swarm works well:

98 points

PILOTS

“Whisper” (44)
TIE Phantom (32), Gunner (5), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Academy Pilot (12) x 3

“Howlrunner” (18)

Or you could do something with a PtL/Autos/Stealth Device Soontir, potentially leaving 21 points for a naked shuttle (or a doomshuttle if you are willing to drop the Gunner).

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Some people mentioned being around Patriot Games in Leeds. If I was to buy the core set, does anyone want to swap the 2 starter TIES for like, anything Rebel?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ShineDog posted:

Some people mentioned being around Patriot Games in Leeds. If I was to buy the core set, does anyone want to swap the 2 starter TIES for like, anything Rebel?

Never swap your starter TIEs. Your basic TIE Fighter is the Empire's bread-and-butter, and you can never have too many of them. If nothing else, paint the poo poo out of them in alternate color schemes so you can easily identify your named TIE pilots.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I feel these should be in the OP, but I've barely played more than the starter box, so wtf do I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3OjjNUu1hA

E: Wrong link

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I've seen these and they do seem like good tips (though I'm new too and don't have lots of experience.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anyone else going to the Chicago(ish) regional this saturday? Pbpancho you usually go to the midwest regionals right? Gonna be decent prize support at this one.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not a viking posted:

I feel these should be in the OP, but I've barely played more than the starter box, so wtf do I know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3OjjNUu1hA

E: Wrong link

In twenty minutes he somehow fails to mention the simplest, by far, option when formation flying - Just stagger your ships slightly so that they all have room to rotate their bases, then always select the same maneuvers. You don't even need a lot of room to do it.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

zVxTeflon posted:

Anyone else going to the Chicago(ish) regional this saturday? Pbpancho you usually go to the midwest regionals right? Gonna be decent prize support at this one.

Not this one 😢 Good luck though!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

In twenty minutes he somehow fails to mention the simplest, by far, option when formation flying - Just stagger your ships slightly so that they all have room to rotate their bases, then always select the same maneuvers. You don't even need a lot of room to do it.

Often called the 'pinwheel' formation.

http://teamcovenant.com/klutz/2014/04/29/understanding-the-pinwheel-formation/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Apparently Imperial Raiders are starting to show up out in the wild? Anybody have them appear at their FLGS?

Geisladisk posted:

I think he covers that later on in video 8 or 9. I could be mistaken and I'm too lazy to double check.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Why was the tie defender not considered very good for a while? It looks good on paper?

And did it get a card in the new tie super bomber box to make it better? I thought that box only had stuff like bombs and torpedoes?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Why was the tie defender not considered very good for a while? It looks good on paper?

And did it get a card in the new tie super bomber box to make it better? I thought that box only had stuff like bombs and torpedoes?

Generally too expensive for its stats and maneuverability, even with the white k-turn (which is a bit too easy for folks to plan around). The next wave includes a TIE specific upgrade that turns all banks on the dial green, which substantially opens up options for Defenders in the positioning game, as well as making abilities that give stress in exchange for buffs more viable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dulkor posted:

Generally too expensive for its stats and maneuverability, even with the white k-turn (which is a bit too easy for folks to plan around). The next wave includes a TIE specific upgrade that turns all banks on the dial green, which substantially opens up options for Defenders in the positioning game, as well as making abilities that give stress in exchange for buffs more viable.

To expand on this some Defenders aren't bad, I've had my poo poo wrecked by them, but they are a very heavy investment in points and have some notable weaknesses, the big one of which is that their only default green maneuver options are straights. This makes a stressed Defender extremely easy to predict even with a white K-turn, which is similarly somewhat easy to plan around. In a way they're like less maneuverable, less resilient IG-2000's only you're still probably only going to wind up being able to field two if you kit them out.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Dulkor posted:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I just got two starters and the imp aces and I'm wondering what to get next. Its between the defender, phantom and another interceptor for soontir fel.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I just got two starters and the imp aces and I'm wondering what to get next. Its between the defender, phantom and another interceptor for soontir fel.

All three are definitely worth picking up over time regardless.

Phantoms are powerful aggressors, but no longer the auto-take no brainers they were pre-nerf. You have to be a lot more careful in how you move them now that you decloak before any other movement takes place.

Defenders are :mediocre: right now, but will be buffed up in the very near future like Kai Tave and I mentioned above.

Right now, Fel with Push the Limit and Autothrusters/Stealth Device is a thing of beauty once you get a bit of practice maneuvering in.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dulkor posted:

Right now, Fel with Push the Limit and Autothrusters/Stealth Device is a thing of beauty once you get a bit of practice maneuvering in.

The people at my LFGS have shown that taking a targeting computer instead of stealth device on Soontir can be very deadly. It is most obvious late game when going against one big ship that is left.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I hadn't realised that the XG-1 had featured within the Fly Casual supplement for Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. That along with a 22 page thread for the XG-1 is given me the hope that got crushed when wave 7 was announced. I want the starwing so bad

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So I'm buying the starter pack, probably 1 additional X-wing, and the aces pack, which hopefully gives me a passable little starter force to zoom around with. After that I'd probably like 1 or 2 more, maybe a big ship, any suggestions?

I'm eyeballing the Outrider purely because it looks cool and I'll always take a slightly more niche ship over a fan favourite like the falcon.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ShineDog posted:

So I'm buying the starter pack, probably 1 additional X-wing, and the aces pack, which hopefully gives me a passable little starter force to zoom around with. After that I'd probably like 1 or 2 more, maybe a big ship, any suggestions?

I'm eyeballing the Outrider purely because it looks cool and I'll always take a slightly more niche ship over a fan favourite like the falcon.

I'm a fan of the Outrider. Putting the title and a heavy laser cannon on the 2400 is fun, especially with it barrel rolling all over the place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
FAQ just made the multi-tactician strat obsolete. I was going to run a YV-666 with 2x tacticians and an HLC with 3 k-fighters in tow. Now I will instead run a YV-666 with tactician, bossk, gunner, and a flechette cannon for stress purposes with 3 k fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Wow, you can't barrel roll or boost off the map any more.

• Locked thread