Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

I really don't want loadouts or unlock systems at all. Especially since the Rocket Launcher is one of the selectable weapons for your loadout. That's going to be a major blow to map control strategy.

Why do they assume they need to have those things for the game to succeed? Counter-Strike Global Offensive doesn't have loadouts and the unlocking systems are purely cosmetic, and that's one of the most popular shooters on PC right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Probably because the same designers are the ones who did Quake Live.

edit: Actually his description more reminds me of a hyperspeed Halo Reach, and if they did loadouts like that game did, I'd be cool with it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not impossible to assume that there will be some sort of spergy competitive mode where the items are on the map.

I think loadouts appeal to more casual FPS fans, which is probably a smart move for them.

Arena shooters are consistently niche and not popular.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Elliotw2 posted:

Does Quake Live have those things now? I played it years ago and it was basically just Quake 3 with a web interface.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is looking really good. It looks like they really listened and fixed the stuff that was kept the first one from being amazing instead of just really fun.

Yeah, agreed. I really hope the increased gun usefulness in the E3 demos wasn't just because they reduced enemy HP or whatever for the sake of the E3 build.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

arcsig posted:

Does Quake Live have those things now? I played it years ago and it was basically just Quake 3 with a web interface.

They added loadouts. It's bad

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Elliotw2 posted:

Nope. Different team.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

RyokoTK posted:

It's not impossible to assume that there will be some sort of spergy competitive mode where the items are on the map.

I think loadouts appeal to more casual FPS fans, which is probably a smart move for them.

Arena shooters are consistently niche and not popular.
Yeah, and it's still an arena shooter. It's just an arena shooter with loadouts now. I highly doubt people who don't like arena shooters are going to see loadouts and suddenly become invested in the game.

I don't know. You can probably ignore my whining. I'm just a really big fan of the strategic mindgames in classic multiplayer shooters, and loadouts are an incredibly efficient way of killing a lot of that. Imagine playing Quake 3 except everyone spawns with a Rocket Launcher. (Actually, is that pretty much what Quake Live is now?)

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

arcsig posted:

Yeah, and it's still an arena shooter. It's just an arena shooter with loadouts now. I highly doubt people who don't like arena shooters are going to see loadouts and suddenly become invested in the game.

I don't know. You can probably ignore my whining. I'm just a really big fan of the strategic mindgames in classic multiplayer shooters, and loadouts are an incredibly efficient way of killing a lot of that. Imagine playing Quake 3 except everyone spawns with a Rocket Launcher. (Actually, is that pretty much what Quake Live is now?)

Yes, and the worst part are the pro fuckers that spawn with the lightning gun.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

arcsig posted:

(Actually, is that pretty much what Quake Live is now?)

Yes. There's not much smoothness to climb to the top of the fragboard. You die quicker in deathmatch QL than in Q3.

Regarding Doom 4, I would bet they'd put in (or already implemented) a non-loadout mode. It'd be weird if there wasn't.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

arcsig posted:

Over half of the players in QL are usually in Clan Arena servers, which spawn you with all weapons anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I want rarer weapons to 'unlock' by you finding them in the drat level :bahgawd:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I guess we can safely assume that multiplayer will be the same as single-player, frightfully dull with the possibility of being salvaged with the Snapmap stuff.

Honestly that's the feature I want to hear more about, because it's the only part of Doom 4 that has any potential to be something interesting and fun.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want rarer weapons to 'unlock' by you finding them in the drat level :bahgawd:

That seems to be the case? It mentioned something about players finding a gauss rifle on the map, which wasn't in the load out.

Old-school rules where there's only like, one rocket launcher and one rail gun and whatever on the map is fun when you know where all the items are, but I feel like it's punishing and unwelcoming at the casual level when some pro fuckers lock down the gun spawns in a DM game and other people can't even compete. I guess that's the appeal of those games to some, but I dunno, I understand why load outs are becoming a thing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

That seems to be the case? It mentioned something about players finding a gauss rifle on the map, which wasn't in the load out.

Old-school rules where there's only like, one rocket launcher and one rail gun and whatever on the map is fun when you know where all the items are, but I feel like it's punishing and unwelcoming at the casual level when some pro fuckers lock down the gun spawns in a DM game and other people can't even compete. I guess that's the appeal of those games to some, but I dunno, I understand why load outs are becoming a thing.

Quake 1 custom maps get around this by having mulitple Rocket Launchers in the map. If you're trying to reach one Rocket Launcher and the area is mess of rockets and nails flying everywhere or some rear end in a top hat with 100 rockets is gibbing anyone that gets close to the Rocket Launcher, you can usually get another one with less hassle.

You can also get around it by making the room important weapons are in difficult to lock down. A single dude can't lock down a large area with mulitple exits.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
With QL chat going on, this seems like a good time to ask: some friends and I have been playing Q3A in private games with bots, which is an attractive option over QL because 1. we suck and 2. ioquake3 adds Mac support which has sadly dropped off of QL.

Anyway, Q3DM6 etc are classics but it would be nice to have a little more variety; Looking to get into some quality custom maps and such but not sure where to start. Anyone have recommendations ?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

arcsig posted:

Imagine playing Quake 3 except everyone spawns with a Rocket Launcher. (Actually, is that pretty much what Quake Live is now?)

So, Rocket Arena, which was super popular despite not being competitive.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

reinardus vulpes posted:

Anyway, Q3DM6 etc are classics but it would be nice to have a little more variety; Looking to get into some quality custom maps and such but not sure where to start. Anyone have recommendations ?

For starters you could look at highly-rated stuff on LvL ( http://lvlworld.com/topmaps ) ... the ratings there are not about the maps being super-competitive, but then your local group probably isn't made of pros anyway. :-)

Might have some more recommendations later, got to go catch a train now...

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
Much appreciated, this looks great.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Cool! A bit more map talk:

You can go to the LvL search page ( http://lvlworld.com/search ) and search for ..::LvL to see map packs that they've put together.

As for individual maps, you probably know that Blood Run (ztn3dm1/ztn3tourney1) has always been super-popular for duel and pretty good for FFA too. Ditto for the Q3 version of Aerowalk.

And several of the maps from the CPM map set ( http://playmorepromode.org/CPMA148.zip ) have also had their moments in one way or another, even outside of CPMA gameplay.

Also maps by this guy: http://lvlworld.com/author/thefury

I don't know if you guys are set on playing duels or FFA or whatever, but when I've played Q3 at LANs one of the most popular things has been to play Rocket Arena. There's the old original RA3 mod of course, but we've been setting up CPMA in arena mode and playing both the original RA3 maps as well as the newer CPMA arena maps, usually trying to find arenas that work well for 2v2. Running a CPMA server properly takes a bit more "research" though. Also there's no bot support for the original RA3 maps... and while CPMA can run bots on its newer arena maps, Q3 bots ain't too bright in rocket arena mode.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 25, 2015

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Quad Damage in Doom, neat. Sounds fun enough, and the mix of loadouts and pickups on the map seems like a fair compromise between classic Doom and modern Quake Live mechanics.

e: I love the old Quad Damage sound effect so I hope it's in there still.

Yeah, but is it quad damage or that bullshit 3x damage.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I totally forgot that Steam has the Quakecon sale going on.

The iD catalog is 66% off right now. I thought about buying the two Quake 1 expansions (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity). Are they worth playing?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Assuming you generally like Quake SP, then SoA is totally worth it, and DoE eh maybe.

closeted republican had some words about SoA recently:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=606&perpage=40#post446014878
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=607&perpage=40#post446059182

and I had some words about DoE a while back:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&pagenumber=163&perpage=40#post411473625

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

I totally forgot that Steam has the Quakecon sale going on.
Which reminds me, it seems like the only thing the media is focusing on out of that event is some Fallout bundle and conference-exclusive stuff from Fallout 4.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs when the announcements that are getting the most attention from Quakecon are Fallout-related.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
To be fair, the Doom 4 news is that it's blisteringly fast and the videos shown at E3 were (as figured) mostly made to showcase the tech and environments.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

new thing not exactly like old, different thing. new thing bad.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

if I can't gain an advantage because I spent hours and hours mastering a dumb arcane movement glitch, what the gently caress is the point??

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

by strafe jumping, does he mean bunny hopping?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm genuinely not sure what kind of delusional motherfucker would expect a dev studio to bring bunnyhopping into a game made in the year of our lord 2015/2016/whatever

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Long live Unreal style movement.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Linguica posted:

new thing not exactly like old, different thing. new thing bad.

Grognards like this dude are why nobody will ever make an arena shooter that sells well ever again.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Roobanguy posted:

by strafe jumping, does he mean bunny hopping?
Sort of, but "strafe jumping" is a very specific Quake-engine quirk for moving fast that a subset of nerds have invested countless hours into muscle memory for and anything that does not have it is Automatically Bad

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom 4 doesn't have wavedashing, therefore it's worse than Hitler.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't believe doom 4 doesn't have skiing #burndownidsoftware

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't believe Doom 4 doesn't have conc jumping.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Which reminds me, it seems like the only thing the media is focusing on out of that event is some Fallout bundle and conference-exclusive stuff from Fallout 4.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs when the announcements that are getting the most attention from Quakecon are Fallout-related.

Quakecon morphed into BethesdaCon as soon as they acquired iD Software. The Quake stuff is just old legacy traditions at this point. :smith:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The sprint key has a 1 in 255 chance of causing a trip instead. Attempting to strafejump makes Doomguy land awkwardly and break his ankle while a slide whistle sound effect plays.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Is there anything actually Quake-related in Quakecon these days? Quake 3 tournament? Big-screen showings of old Quake machinima? A guy showing up in a blocky, low-resolution-textured Ranger costume?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm genuinely not sure what kind of delusional motherfucker would expect a dev studio to bring bunnyhopping into a game made in the year of our lord 2015/2016/whatever

Doom 3 had it, Rage had it. Every single game of theirs since 1996 has had strafe jumping in some capacity (and you could very well consider Doom straferunning a precursor to it) and I'm personally very disappointed that they finally decided to kill that particular legacy because I enjoy doing it.

With this announcement, I've gone from cautious optimism to complete indifference towards the new Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Is there anything actually Quake-related in Quakecon these days? Quake 3 tournament? Big-screen showings of old Quake machinima? A guy showing up in a blocky, low-resolution-textured Ranger costume?
There's a big Quake Live tournament going on.