Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It's nice to use up your dryer to get the wrinkles out of a single shirt, cant really do that economically with coin op

It's also nice to be able to start a load of laundry and not have to time out exactly when it's going to finish so you can go collect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Baronjutter posted:

Most condos built before the 80's didn't have it and right now only new "luxury" apartments have it. A lot of older condos actually want to add in-suite laundry but it ends up being impossibly expensive to re-plumb everything as well as deal with the venting (it's often the venting that kills it). If your building wasn't purpose built for it, it's not going to happen. I just go down 2 flights of stairs to get to our laundry room, probably less walking than someone with a big house.

It's 400-500 extra a month because new construction is more expensive to buy or rent. There's apartments 400-500 more than mine that are smaller and don't even have laundry but people rent them for some reason, because they're "new".

At least we aren't living in NY where most buildings don't even have shared laundry and you have to shlep to the nearest laundromat.

That's some serious third world poo poo right there. I can't believe that anyone in Canada would consider the possibility of doing laundry in your own apartment "a luxury".

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I spend about 12$/mo on laundry in my ghetto building's shared laundry. If I wanted to get in-suite laundry in Vancouver, I would have to upgrade to a "Luxury Condo" for an extra 500$ to 600$/mo. :shrug:

It's one thing to pay an extra 500$-600$ to not live with roommates (which I did at the first opportunity after living 3 years with roommates, from one illegal basement to another), but for laundry? Ehhhh not really. I'd rather save the 6000$/y, even if it means I have to share machines twice a month for an hour.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 24, 2015

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
The problem with shared anything isn't the anything, it is other people. I use the shared laundry in my building, but I was seriously tempted to move to a nicer building with in-unit laundry when I found out the rear end hat before me had used bleach in a shared washer and I had to buy some new clothes. It is still worth it to buy new clothes every once and a great while, but I was so pissed off at whoever it was.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Twice a month for an hour? You must either have a lot of clothes and big laundry machines available. or smell gross as gently caress most of the time.

I have to do two loads of laundry a week on average, not counting things like sheets and towels that I don't wash as frequently.

EDIT: I mean, during summer I can easily go through three or four shirts a day if it's warm (one for going to the gym, one for the daytime, one for going out in the evening, and then one for sleeping so I don't get the sheets all gross and have to wash them every other day). Maybe I just sweat way more than average, but none of those can pull a second day of duty.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 24, 2015

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
It's strange. I was just looking at apartments in Calgary or Edmonton and it didn't seem like there was too much difference between older apartments with shared laundry and newer ones with in suite. Not more then a couple hundred at the outside. Is that just a function of how tight our rental market is?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

PT6A posted:

It's also nice to be able to start a load of laundry and not have to time out exactly when it's going to finish so you can go collect it.

There's almost no limit on the premium people will pay to avoid completely insane people dumping their laundry on the floor because it stayed in the machine for 10 minutes after the cycle finished.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OhYeah posted:

That's some serious third world poo poo right there. I can't believe that anyone in Canada would consider the possibility of doing laundry in your own apartment "a luxury".

Where do ya'll live that in-suit laundry for apartments has been such a long standing thing? All my friends in Toronto report it considered good if your laundry room is nice, in-suite is unheard of, and lots of old buildings have nothing at all, go walk to a laundromat.

I guess construction industries and apartment design is super regional since like I said, in-unit has only been a thing in condos in Victoria since about the 80's and is only just starting to appearing new purpose-built rental buildings. It's only been standard in condos since about the 90's. I guess having in-suite laundry would be nice, but it's just not $400 a month nice. I've actually never heard of a condo successfully adding in-suite laundry. Lots of councils decide to look into it, but the moment the quotes start rolling in they abandon the idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

bartlebyshop posted:

There's almost no limit on the premium people will pay to avoid completely insane people dumping their laundry on the floor because it stayed in the machine for 10 minutes after the cycle finished.

As much as dumping it on the floor is not a cool move, it's also a jackass move to leave things in beyond their cycle when other people have to do their laundry and there's limited availability.

Shared laundry just sucks, full stop. A few hundred a month is well worth it to avoid that poo poo, at least to me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shared laundry is how you get ringworm or fleas or herpes. gently caress that. :colbert:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Baronjutter posted:

Where do ya'll live that in-suit laundry for apartments has been such a long standing thing? All my friends in Toronto report it considered good if your laundry room is nice, in-suite is unheard of, and lots of old buildings have nothing at all, go walk to a laundromat.

I guess construction industries and apartment design is super regional since like I said, in-unit has only been a thing in condos in Victoria since about the 80's and is only just starting to appearing new purpose-built rental buildings. It's only been standard in condos since about the 90's. I guess having in-suite laundry would be nice, but it's just not $400 a month nice. I've actually never heard of a condo successfully adding in-suite laundry. Lots of councils decide to look into it, but the moment the quotes start rolling in they abandon the idea.

Estonia. That's right, a country that was part of Soviet Union 2+ decades ago.

You can put laundry machines in any apartment building, be it old or new. A competent technician can install it in less than an hour, if the plumbing is easily accessible.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

THC posted:

Hope you're not too attached to that soul of yours

Be a VP for a few years, and jump before the government pays enough attention to it to crack the gently caress down on it like they are doing with Uber (while Taxi's suck, you do not want to get in an accident in a Uber).

Then become a high level member of SSC or a consultant that talks the government into something stupid like eyeball computers to get rid of floor space (like the guy that talked the government into giving everyone cellphones).

My old building had in-unit hot water tanks so it would have taken maybe an extra 20 minutes to drop in washer lines.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

bartlebyshop posted:

In the going-on-four years I've lived in this building, I have never had this happen to me. I set a timer and make sure to use the machines at times when they're not busy (Saturday mornings).

PT6A posted:

Twice a month for an hour? You must either have a lot of clothes and big laundry machines available. or smell gross as gently caress most of the time.

I have to do two loads of laundry a week on average, not counting things like sheets and towels that I don't wash as frequently.

EDIT: I mean, during summer I can easily go through three or four shirts a day if it's warm[/b] (one for going to the gym, one for the daytime, one for going out in the evening, and then one for sleeping so I don't get the sheets all gross and have to wash them every other day). Maybe I just sweat way more than average, but none of those can pull a second day of duty.

I wear suits to work* and rotate through 10 or so shirts. The rest of my clothes are either gym clothes which I will wear more than once before putting it in the wash, or miscellaneous "street" clothes for when I leave the house. :shrug: Together, my partner and I never use more than 2 machines at 1.75$/per, and the dryers are large and can fit both washer loads in one dryer (2$/per).

If the in-suite washer-dryers in Calgary or wherever you are are as small as the ones that are standard in Vancouver condos, then I can understand why you need to do laundry so often, and can confirm that the shared ones in my building are much, much bigger. That being said, I also don't change outfits and throw everything into the wash 4 times a day, so ymmv.

*dry-cleaning bills don't apply to this comparison

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
PT6A needs to do lots of laundry because his skin excretes so much booze, cigar smoke, and cheese essence :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OhYeah posted:

You can put laundry machines in any apartment building, be it old or new. A competent technician can install it in less than an hour, if the plumbing is easily accessible.

If the machines are anything like the one I had in Spain, they are much smaller and less powerful than what's available in Canada, and the drying function is almost entirely useless. It's still better than shared laundry or laundromats, but the machines here are larger and the dryer requires special venting which can be difficult to retrofit.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Tipps posted:

In the going-on-four years I've lived in this building, I have never had this happen to me. I set a timer and make sure to use the machines at times when they're not busy (Saturday mornings).

I would do my laundry at 3am sometimes and have it happen. It only takes one Laundry Nazi to put a person off the idea forever.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

If the machines are anything like the one I had in Spain, they are much smaller and less powerful than what's available in Canada, and the drying function is almost entirely useless. It's still better than shared laundry or laundromats, but the machines here are larger and the dryer requires special venting which can be difficult to retrofit.

I don't really care about drying though, since a lot of clothes can't be machine-dried anyway. What I do care about, however, is not sharing the same washer with disgusting people and their disgusting clothes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OhYeah posted:

I don't really care about drying though, since a lot of clothes can't be machine-dried anyway. What I do care about, however, is not sharing the same washer with disgusting people and their disgusting clothes.

Yeah, on the tour of the apartment I rented, they showed me the drying rack. I was like "drying rack?"

Then upon using the "dryer" I was like, "oh, drying rack!"

It actually produced a nicer feeling result than my machine at home, I think, but that could've been the different detergent too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
No, it's actually way better for your clothes and their feel. The European dryers are basically glorified water wringing machines more then anything, so the fabric doesn't get stressed by the high heat of North American dryers. We sell them at our stores. Jesus are they tiny though

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Tipps posted:

The rest of my clothes are either gym clothes which I will wear more than once before putting it in the wash,

Dude, thats nasty. You wear your sweaty rear end gym shirt multiple times? Or underwear? I mean, I guess if you go jogging only, but if you're at a public gym you definitely stink but you just dont know it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Melian Dialogue posted:

Dude, thats nasty. You wear your sweaty rear end gym shirt multiple times? Or underwear? I mean, I guess if you go jogging only, but if you're at a public gym you definitely stink but you just dont know it.

Even if you just go jogging it's loving disgusting. When I get done at the gym, I'm drenched. It is unpleasant to even consider wearing those clothes again, much less actually doing so.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

PT6A posted:

Even if you just go jogging it's loving disgusting. When I get done at the gym, I'm drenched. It is unpleasant to even consider wearing those clothes again, much less actually doing so.

Nobody cares

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My 15 minute bike home left me soaked through (because I'm fat but always one of the fastest guys on the Assiniboine bikeway :smuggo:). If you aren't nice and ripe after the visit to the gym you're wasting your membership and should just park your rear end in the booster juice next door.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OhYeah posted:

Obligatory
:goonsay:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Well when I do a mundane task I do it like this

P.S EUROPE

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OhYeah posted:

I looked into it for my 1975 condo when they were re-doing the water pipes and was denied even though I am on the lowest floor with only a parking garage below. There's no practical way to vent, no practical way to drill through the cement floor to have legal drainage...

Of course half my neighbours have illegal ones that put lint directly into the shower air vents which will eventually lead to our firey deaths, but I didn't know this until I asked.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I looked into it for my 1975 condo when they were re-doing the water pipes and was denied even though I am on the lowest floor with only a parking garage below. There's no practical way to vent, no practical way to drill through the cement floor to have legal drainage...

Of course half my neighbours have illegal ones that put lint directly into the shower air vents which will eventually lead to our firey deaths, but I didn't know this until I asked.

Vents? Legal drainage?

Buy a smaller machine without the drier. All you need is 1) electricity 2) water inlet 3) connect it to the main sewer pipe or whatever the hell it's called in English (where all the water from the dishwasher and sink ends up).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OhYeah posted:

Vents? Legal drainage?

Buy a smaller machine without the drier. All you need is 1) electricity 2) water inlet 3) connect it to the main sewer pipe or whatever the hell it's called in English (where all the water from the dishwasher and sink ends up).

BC Law requires something like a tray that is hooked up to condo plumbing underneath the washer to drain potential flooding. The dryer requires proper venting to the outside, not shared with shower vents. I would like a dryer since it's so loving muggy in this goddamn swamp of a town. There is no other practical way for me to dry clothes.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

BC Law requires something like a tray that is hooked up to condo plumbing underneath the washer to drain potential flooding.

That's a good safety feature, but is it very practical? I can't remember a single instance when someone's washing machine flooded the apartment.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I rented the upper floor of a house for a few years and I had a washer that I had to roll over to the kitchen sink. It connected to the faucet and drained into the sink.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

* is a Canadian developer *

* thinks air conditioning and in-suite laundry are pointless luxuries *

What the gently caress, guys?

OhYeah posted:

Vents? Legal drainage?

I have heard of this happening to a friend of mine, and I assume it's much more of an issue with larger machines.

EngineerJoe posted:

I rented the upper floor of a house for a few years and I had a washer that I had to roll over to the kitchen sink. It connected to the faucet and drained into the sink.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy this? It sounds like a decent solution to what is apparently a common problem.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EngineerJoe posted:

That's what we're using because it came with our house. If it breaks we're getting one just like it, it's so convenient

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, where did you buy this? It sounds like a decent solution to what is apparently a common problem.

It came with the house...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

From AC chat to washer chat this thread has everything.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Just like the average Canadian feels they are entitled to everything, no matter the amount of credit or crazy COL increases that are needed to get it

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Wow. I did not come from a bumfuck poor former communist country just to be told having a washer in my home is a luxury after having enjoyed that apparent "privilege" in the old country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kraftwerk posted:

Wow. I did not come from a bumfuck poor former communist country just to be told having a washer in my home is a luxury after having enjoyed that apparent "privilege" in the old country.

Wait till you discover the communal bathrooms.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah but did your soviet era concrete ghetto flat have granite countertops and a water feature out front?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

cowofwar posted:

Yeah but did your soviet era concrete ghetto flat have granite countertops and a water feature out front?

Would eating off a rock next to the river count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Entitled kids these days.

*pulls laundry out of dryer before calling the Ford dealership to check on the new features on this years F-150*