Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

golden bubble posted:

It's not bad. The rules are simple enough to learn, the game ends quickly enough, and it has an interesting use of dice for ships. However, the combat is still very swingy. It's kinda strange in that Quantum looks like an abstract spaceship combat game, but plays like an ameritrash spaceship combat game.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Quantum is fantastic, and pretty easy for inexperienced gamers. It has a lot of room for multiple plays as well, since there’s a lot of cool combinations of ship and card powers. It can definitely be a bit swingy though, especially if someone gets a big lead over the other players. Overall I've had a lot of fun with it and would absolutely recommend it.
Great, thanks guys, it looks really cool and a sort of inviting game for my crowd so I'll definitely pick it up. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The End posted:

SUSD's latest review: Only buy Fief if you plan on playing it more than twice.

Great job guys.

Can someone who doesn't consider Cosmic Encounter and Saboteur to be pinnacles of high-intrigue diplomatic boardgaming weigh in on whether Fief is actually good?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Robust Laser posted:

Summoner Wars is the second choice because it's the two player game that is available

It's a cool game with a bit too much randomness and a billion tiny expansions if you want more of it. Do they still sell the cheapish 2-faction starter sets that come with a paper map instead of a mounted board? If so that's an easy intro. Or the iPad app.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bobvonunheil posted:

Can someone who doesn't consider Cosmic Encounter and Saboteur to be pinnacles of high-intrigue diplomatic boardgaming weigh in on whether Fief is actually good?

It's p good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Summoner Wars is a game I'd recommend playing on iOS or Android before purchasing. It's great in the sense that it has simple rules so it's easy to teach and play, but the more I played it the more I hated some of their design decisions.

Single dice resolution is swingy as hell, and while the magic point system is really interesting a lot of good starting strats include murdering your units, while focusing on summoning champions over commons. Also some people over at BGG and the PHG forums have complained about stalemates being a problem.

I don't know how to describe it, really. It feels like it should take less time than what it takes to play a match, considering what the game is and how it works? I used to play Warmachine and I thought this would scratch that itch but nope.

I can't stop reiterating how bad d6 to hit is, by the way.
Anyways, Ashes looks like it will be one hell of a mess.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bobvonunheil posted:

I've played it once and would like to get it back on the table at some point since we kinda fubared the first game. Not rules wise, but strategically/game flow wise, like, say, most people's first game of Archipelago. Unfortunately I can't compare it to its closest analogs, like Game of Thrones, but combat is a dice based affair, so watch out for that if you have perpetual bad luck. The game itself relies on a lot of luck, like assassinations being pass/fail affairs that cause a lot of swinginess. For example, my warlord type family member (Isabelle d'Arc) was ready to tear rear end on a siege, but my opponent played an assassinate card on her, made the roll (or I failed my save roll, I forget), and I didn't have any lucky escapes, so there went my war campaign. Another player kept getting lovely family traits instead of cool ones (the deck is 3:1 good:bad traits, so he just got really unlucky). Thematic, brutal, "flavorful," but I can see it being too random for people's taste.

The rulebook is kinda trash and has a lot of small weird rules that I have long since forgotten, though. I'm not a big fan of having three "diplomacy" tokens to actually engage in negotations, although I understand that there is a need to control it somehow, I just didn't think restricting it like that was the right move.

Again, this was based on a single play, but I can see it being more of an "experience generator" sort of thing, but with a more substantive game than something like Arabian Nights.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Scyther posted:

It's a cool game with a bit too much randomness and a billion tiny expansions if you want more of it. Do they still sell the cheapish 2-faction starter sets that come with a paper map instead of a mounted board? If so that's an easy intro. Or the iPad app.

Oh, I'm already familiar with the game and everything. I'm headed to board games tomorrow and everybody's been busy for a while, so even though it'll be me and just one of my friends I'm gonna head down anyways, and it'll definitely be a good opportunity to get some Mage Knight in but I'll likely be there a while, and I haven't gotten to play enough Tragedy Looper, so I asked if that would work good with two. And if not, well, my friend's got Summoner Wars, which is a game that's pretty hard to work with anything other than two.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tragedy Looper functions fine with two, it's just a lot harder for the mastermind assuming the protagonist player is at all competent.

e: I should say I find it more enjoyable with 4.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bobvonunheil posted:

I've played it thrice now. I dig it. It'll be my go to six player game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

Quantum is fantastic, and pretty easy for inexperienced gamers. It has a lot of room for multiple plays as well, since there’s a lot of cool combinations of ship and card powers. It can definitely be a bit swingy though, especially if someone gets a big lead over the other players. Overall I've had a lot of fun with it and would absolutely recommend it.

That's weird, every game of Quantum I've played has run close - nobody's ever been more than two cubes away at the end and usually it's the first person to drop their last cube that wins.

Re: Fief - it has a lot going on and a lot of legacy stuff from the 1980s original bloats it a touch, but it's a very good game. It's absolutely savage and will end far sooner than you think. You get to the end of round 3 with people just starting to control their first fiefdoms and it feels like it could take forever for someone to reach 3 VPs. Next thing you know it's the start of round 5 and everyone is trying to stop that goddamn alliance hitting 4 VPs while the alliance are praying to God that they can tie the Papal Election because they had no slot left for a Crown Prince and if the marriage gets annulled they're screwed.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
What's the goon consensus on Princes of Florence? I like the general mechanics from Colosseum and it seems Princes improves on it, though it lacks the trading portion of the game. Princes does benefit from not being out-of-print indefinitely and horrendously expensive, however.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

ETB posted:

What's the goon consensus on Princes of Florence? I like the general mechanics from Colosseum and it seems Princes improves on it, though it lacks the trading portion of the game. Princes does benefit from not being out-of-print indefinitely and horrendously expensive, however.

If there is a goon consensus, I don't know it, but here's my glowing review.

The game is beautifully designed, tight, and quite elegant. I hate it. If you like the general mechanics, Princes is a phenomenal game.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

OmegaGoo posted:

If there is a goon consensus, I don't know it, but here's my glowing review.

The game is beautifully designed, tight, and quite elegant. I hate it. If you like the general mechanics, Princes is a phenomenal game.

Am I ask why you hate it? Or is it more a "personal taste" thing?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

GrandpaPants posted:

How bad is Ashes supposed to be? On a range from terrible to mediocre?

Terrible

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So a friend of mine sent me a survey that is going around my old town. Someone wants to set up a board game cafe, and they are trying to gauge interest from the community. For some reason after taking the survey I have doubts about how well the cafe will do:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's like how Barnes and Noble has a section titled Strategy Games and put Munchkin and Zombicide in it.

It's almost cute how little most people understand about how much board gaming has changed in the last 10 years.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

playing hungry hungry hippos drunk sounds pretty cool tbf

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I don't think anyone here has actually played Ashes but it's a solo Isaac Vega design and it looks insanely bad from the graphic design to the name to the rules so I'm also going to boldly predict that it's terrible. And that's before my bias against deck construction games that haven't been refined for 20 years.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

ETB posted:

Am I ask why you hate it? Or is it more a "personal taste" thing?

It's definitely a personal taste thing. It has some really unique and ingenious mechanics, but I find the game dull as all hell. I'm not interested in ever playing it again, but it is definitely a good game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ETB posted:

It's multiplayer solitaire.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In Forbidden Stars, is it possible to do the following in a single move order:

-Move ships into a contested void
-Fight over the void (and win, I guess)
-Move land units over the now-friendly void to take over an unoccupied planet or two

?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Krazyface posted:

In Forbidden Stars, is it possible to do the following in a single move order:

-Move ships into a contested void
-Fight over the void (and win, I guess)
-Move land units over the now-friendly void to take over an unoccupied planet or two

?

No, you resolve combats after you've done all your moving. You'd need a second Advance order hiding below your first to follow up like that.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I thought the SUSD review of Fief was bang on, personally. It's the pinnacle of "no need for balance as the players can provide it" design. You can be rendered functionally irrelevant for multiple turns through the event deck (eg. weather), combat is highly random, etc. There are games like War of the Roses which do some similar stuff but with modern design, or of course Here I Stand/Virgin Queen, which are the kings of this sub genre but are admittedly also not without issues (namely massive playtime and swingy dice resolution -not nearly as bad as Fief though).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Rutibex posted:

So a friend of mine sent me a survey that is going around my old town. Someone wants to set up a board game cafe, and they are trying to gauge interest from the community. For some reason after taking the survey I have doubts about how well the cafe will do:

That's a piece of art

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can you imagine showing up to a place that bills itself as a "board game cafe" and seeing loving Hungry Hungry Hippos on the table?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Fief is absolutely a dinosaur of design eras long past; I thought the reprint of Warrior Knights with the expansion was a tighter game mechanically, take that for what you will. Still, I enjoyed my play of it but don't expect it's a game I will ever want to play that often.

Also, the rules are pretty poor and vague in a couple of places that I can't quite remember aside from that they came up repeatedly during the game. So that also fits the old school design. Also random events that gently caress you. And stuff like "if we ally we can win together" then you ally and once you have a superior force play a "gently caress you" card to win, and if you're allied there's nothing that prevents you from killing your allies troops. It's an alliance for purposes of VP only.

There's expansions that were kickstarter exclusives (lol) that add basically more things, and the more things fit into the "wackier different story elements" type of gameplay that old games had. That being said, it's one of the few games that simulate (crudely) a family tree of sorts and feels sorta like Crusader Kings.

In my opinion, better alternatives that feel similar for what the game's goal is trying to accomplish: Warrior Knights (with expansion), Rex, Testament La Duke De Crecy or whatever. I'd say this game feels like a stripped down combination of Warrior Knights and Rex/Dune.

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 25, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chomp8645 posted:

Can you imagine showing up to a place that bills itself as a "board game cafe" and seeing loving Hungry Hungry Hippos on the table?

My favorite thing about it is that "team games" is a genre apparently

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Loopin Louie or death, I say

Also, that survey makes me irrationally melancholy :smith:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Got to play a full, proper game of Tigris & Euphrates today and I have to say I enjoyed it despite not really knowing what I should do at any given point. I understood the rules, I just didn't know what I should really do. It seems like a real head-scratcher. Also brought up in conversation today: what do you consider a good 'filler' game? I looked at my collection and the shortest game I have is either Race for the Galaxy or Avalon (both dependent on players). We played Sushi Go! which I find is a perfectly acceptable filler game but I was hard pressed to come up with anything else other than Love Letter. What do you guys like?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

No joke, my city had that happen exactly. When it opened up, they had monopoly and sorry to play. The closest it got to a modern game was Munchkin. It closed down a month or two after it opened.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Prairie Bus posted:

No joke, my city had that happen exactly. When it opened up, they had monopoly and sorry to play. The closest it got to a modern game was Munchkin. It closed down a month or two after it opened.

Are people hearing stuff about board games being cool again and just opening cafes straight away with zero additional research and no personal interest in them? Because I don't know how else to explain something like that.

lmao time to open up my own board game cafe better go get some copies of Monopoly and Candyland.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

EvilChameleon posted:

Got to play a full, proper game of Tigris & Euphrates today and I have to say I enjoyed it despite not really knowing what I should do at any given point. I understood the rules, I just didn't know what I should really do. It seems like a real head-scratcher. Also brought up in conversation today: what do you consider a good 'filler' game? I looked at my collection and the shortest game I have is either Race for the Galaxy or Avalon (both dependent on players). We played Sushi Go! which I find is a perfectly acceptable filler game but I was hard pressed to come up with anything else other than Love Letter. What do you guys like?

Red7 is a very deep abstract filler game. I really enjoy agonizing over the strategy in it. Just don't play with people with AP. If some of your gaming group has AP, Incan Gold is a very quick, nice push-your-luck game. Alternatively, Coup is a nice little deduction game for filler.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon is quite good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

golden bubble posted:

Red7 is a very deep abstract filler game. I really enjoy agonizing over the strategy in it. Just don't play with people with AP. If some of your gaming group has AP, Incan Gold is a very quick, nice push-your-luck game. Alternatively, Coup is a nice little deduction game for filler.

I'll second these Red7 and Incan Gold are both really solid bits of filler. I don't like Coup that much, but I can see why people would. Epic Spell Wars is cool, too. Also worth checking out is Dragon Slayer for a push your luck sort of game. Has a neat challenge mechanic that makes it a bit more strategic than your average risk mitigation PYL.

Of course, there's always the inimitable Cthulhu Dice. :v:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

usually it's the first person to drop their last cube that wins.

Well that is literally the victory condition so yeah I would expect so?

Quantum is great, as said it's usually extremely tight, if one player has two cubes left at the end it's usually a sign they've been pretty heavily smashed. Every game I've ever played the winning player had one or two others about to win on their next turn. The cards are intentionally very powerful in combination so the games don't drag on and even edge case cards can be crazy good in combination with others or with certain board states. Lends itself to a lot of different viable strategies in any given game. I only ever play the standard galaxy maps for each player count but there's plenty of modular layouts if you want to get into that sort of thing.

And since I missed out the last round of picture posting, I just moved to a new house and finally have room for some big rear end kallax shelves and finally my boardgames are on display instead of stuffed into a cupboard!

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Are people hearing stuff about board games being cool again and just opening cafes straight away with zero additional research and no personal interest in them? Because I don't know how else to explain something like that.

lmao time to open up my own board game cafe better go get some copies of Monopoly and Candyland.

It's the only way I can explain it.

I had a chance to play Marco Polo tonight. It is a good game.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

They're kind of a thing and you have to remember that most of their customers want to hang out and play stuff they're nostalgic about. I was at a board game themed bar years ago and people really were playing stuff like candy land and uno. The selling point is nostalgia and familiarity, not solid game design. The bar versions in particular are about giving people something brain dead to do while they drink.

Opening a bar or cafe targeting the kind of people excited to try out Caverna or Eclipse would be a great way to go out of business. There just aren't that many of us. Even what we'd consider introductory social games are pretty intimidating to most folks without a friend to explain the rules.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
The local board game cafe is literally called The Hungry Hippo but they have a solid library (they even got Mysterium and Tragedy Looper recently) and are so busy they can charge a $20 minimum spend to book ahead.

There's another place that's aimed more at normies with retro consoles and 'classic' board games that's also doing well.

I think the market is there and pretty flexible if you offer a good service.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bubble-T posted:

I don't think anyone here has actually played Ashes but it's a solo Isaac Vega design and it looks insanely bad from the graphic design to the name to the rules so I'm also going to boldly predict that it's terrible. And that's before my bias against deck construction games that haven't been refined for 20 years.

I was a playtester. I played enough games to get my name in the rulebook. My name being in the book is the main selling point for me. It is not a game I would otherwise buy. Even if the rules were tight and great, which they are not, the world doesn't need another deck constructing dueling wizards card game. Especially from a company that already has a pretty good deck constructing dueling wizards card game.

Your predation is correct, but I highly encourage you to demo it. Maybe I'm just being a negative turd. When I see people hyped up about it, I wonder if they are excited because the dude who designed it made DoW, or if they see something that I do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

burger time posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon is quite good.

Skull is better at the same thing.