Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Snak posted:

Concerning Brothers in Arms: Skellige,

Wait, are you telling me that the only way to get Cerys to come fight with me is to have put Hjalmar on the throne? That's a horrible dilemma, but neat. I mean I'm just assuming that if I'd backed Hjalmar he'd be telling me that he can't come, but he can send me Cerys. Maybe that's not what happens.

I think Hjalmar comes with you regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Brothers in Arms: Skellige Hjalmar always comes. Even if he's king.

Hjalmar is not a very good king.

That's hilarious. And lame. Cerys is the best.

And I really wish you could turn down Crach's gift of the Winter Blade. They should have made it like, level 28 and really good, instead of "level appropriate" for when you get it. Even if I did this right at level 22, there's no way that I wouldn't have leveled again by time I finally fight the Wild hunt.

BUt also, Bear Swords 4 Lyfe!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's a second "quest" now that I randomly encountered that didn't register as a quest and I'd like to know if it's a glitch or what:

-on Skellige some guy in a village was talking to curious bystanders about how he was attacked by monsters. He wasn't marked with an exclaimation mark but sure enough talking to him triggered a conversation. The whole dialogue was in an atmosphere that he's making stuff up, Geralt was super sceptical as the guy even forgot to tell him where he can be found for a reward after the job is done. I agreed to help him anyway but...no quest triggered. I'm supposed to check out the place where he was attacked but there's no map marker as there's no quest.

-in Novigrad another guy was banging on a door screaming to let him in. He was marked with an exclaimation mark. 2 witch hunters attacked him and I killed both. The guy I saved then gave me a key and told me to take it and run away or something. I could open the door he was banging on with the key and...there's nothing in there. Just a room with a couple junk items and a generic townsfolk guy sitting on a chair who is like every other random person in the city, no special conversation etc. Again no quest was triggered.

From what I understand those are glitched quests never to be resolved, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Palpek posted:

There's a second "quest" now that I randomly encountered that didn't register as a quest and I'd like to know if it's a glitch or what:

-on Skellige some guy in a village was talking to curious bystanders about how he was attacked by monsters. He wasn't marked with an exclaimation mark but sure enough talking to him triggered a conversation. The whole dialogue was in an atmosphere that he's making stuff up, Geralt was super sceptical as the guy even forgot to tell him where he can be found for a reward after the job is done. I agreed to help him anyway but...no quest triggered. I'm supposed to check out the place where he was attacked but there's no map marker as there's no quest.

-in Novigrad another guy was banging on a door screaming to let him in. He was marked with an exclaimation mark. 2 witch hunters attacked him and I killed both. The guy I saved then gave me a key and told me to take it and run away or something. I could open the door he was banging on with the key and...there's nothing in there. Just a room with a couple junk items and a generic townsfolk guy sitting on a chair who is like every other random person in the city, no special conversation etc. Again no quest was triggered.

From what I understand those are glitched quests never to be resolved, right?

If it helps any, the first one is Skellige's Most Wanted, and the second is Novigrad: Closed City. Do you have either of those in your Journal already?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first one is a Witcher Contract, not a primary/secondary quest, so try looking under that category. However, don't worry about it too much, because afaik it's bugged on all platforms and can't be completed. Probably best to not even start it because who knows when or how they will fix it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just beat this and even though I freaking clowned on the last boss it was an insanely cool final sequence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where the hell am I supposed to go for the master armorers quest? The map says velen but there is no marker on the area map. Then I go to velen and it says to go to skellige and there is no marker there. Argh.

This game needs a way to pinpoint objectives from the fast travel map.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

NESguerilla posted:

Where the hell am I supposed to go for the master armorers quest? The map says velen but there is no marker on the area map. Then I go to velen and it says to go to skellige and there is no marker there. Argh.

This game needs a way to pinpoint objectives from the fast travel map.

The quest chain starts at the Blacksmith in Crow's Perch

Then you have to find a forge in Skellige, it's on the same island Hjalmar hunts the giant on and is guarded by a level ~26 cave troll. Get the tools from the abandoned forge and bring them back to Crow's Perch blacksmith. You'll be asked to kill a Griffon for its acid and then you turn it in and wait a day for your first mastercrafted armor to be made

Also if you are using an xbox controller while looking at the map you can press the left stick to hop back and forth between Geralt's current position and the objective's position.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks. It was bugged and the objective popped up on the island after fast traveling a few times.

I'm on ps4 so I'll have to try the left stick thing out. Didn't know about that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It cracks me up that the internet is full of people saying that hero cards are overpowered in gwent. The 15 pointers are really good, yes, but I still did't play more than 4 non-spy heroes before getting those. And one is Yennifer, because she's a medic.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Getting a medic train going on the third round is always fun even if it's not that effective. Also dig the Skyrim reference for Nilfgaard archers.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I got this and an xbox one earlier today, will hook it up & play tomorrow. From what I read the latest patch messes up some crap on xbox that worked okay before (framerates in some areas).. so I guess Im just curious, can you select what patch you want or does it automatically just download the latest? Because it sounds like I should do patch 1.05 and call it a day.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I just made a 'Geralt and Homies' deck with Geralt, Yen, Ciri, Vesemir, Dandelion, Zoltan, Regis, Roche, Ves, Djkstra, Thaler, and then whatever spies and siege units and decoys I have left to fill out the rest.

Triss is not allowed in my deck because she is as useful in Gwent as out of it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I really like how the hero cards are balanced in Gwent. Single-use big-hitters who you can't screw with OR make any better. I thought I was hosed every time I came up against a deck with lots of them until I realised you couldn't medic them back. That said, I'm now on a spy collecting craze and looking for Thaler and that Mysterious elf.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tirranek posted:

Getting a medic train going on the third round is always fun even if it's not that effective. Also dig the Skyrim reference for Nilfgaard archers.

I mostly use medics for a recovering spies that I didn't have a decoy to bounce, and recovering my scorchbait. Also there is no third round what are you talking about.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Milva and Dandelion are basically the best gwent cards in the game and they're not even heroes.

This fits because Milva is cool as hell and I'm sad she's dead.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Snak posted:

I mostly use medics for a recovering spies that I didn't have a decoy to bounce, and recovering my scorchbait. Also there is no third round what are you talking about.

Cool people always play to the third, horn in bad weather and are incapable of not drawing Zoltan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Milva and Dandelion are basically the best gwent cards in the game and they're not even heroes.

This fits because Milva is cool as hell and I'm sad she's dead.

Dandelion is okay. He's not really better than a commander's horn, though. It's a tradeoff that you can medic him, but he only works for the front row. Likewise, Yennifer is actually the worst medic in the game, because she can't be bounced.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Likewise, Yennifer is actually the worst medic in the game, because she can't be bounced.

There's a necromancy joke here somewhere but damned if I can think of it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone got a video of Geralt saying "Sigh... sooo looong."

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

It cracks me up that the internet is full of people saying that hero cards are overpowered in gwent. The 15 pointers are really good, yes, but I still did't play more than 4 non-spy heroes before getting those. And one is Yennifer, because she's a medic.

Yeah, Geralt, Ciri, Yen and Avallac'h are easily the best hero cards. Otherwise I use lots of siege with the siege master ability for the North or use a bunch of medics with Nilfgaard and their archers and crap.

The lack of spies really hurts the other two decks.
The monster deck is kind of fun but scoiatel just can't compete with lots of spies.

Tries really needs Villimentreth's (or however you spell it) scorch power because she's super useless. And Regis is way too weak. It took a guy that easily beat Geralt and Yen to kill him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think anything about the card strength values remotely reflects the combat prowess of the characters. It seems very arbitrary all around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The objective markers on the master armorer quest are so hosed for me. I've been getting this bug where the marker only points to the nearest fast travel and not the actual objective and it's so frustrating.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If it's the quest objective in Skellige and you're in Velen, that's working as intended.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

NESguerilla posted:

The objective markers on the master armorer quest are so hosed for me. I've been getting this bug where the marker only points to the nearest fast travel and not the actual objective and it's so frustrating.

Yeah if you're in Velen then you need to zoom out to view Skellige and you should see the marker. Otherwise you just need to do Hjalmar's quest for fame and explore that island just a little.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm at the end of it now just killed the archgriffon.

I basically used the guy who told me what to do after my last post's info as the objective markers for the whole quest, since it was so hosed up.

Unrelated, but it's a real shame that the griffon trophy is a sweet chopped off head that hangs from the side of your horse and the rest of them are all just a bag as far as I can tell. It's almost like they just made the griffon head for the gameplay videos and got lazy about the rest of them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The cockatrice, the leshen, and a few others have actual trophies as well.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I think trophies are a missed opportunity to do something cool. They only use what? like three different bonuses between all of them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Spite posted:

Yeah, Geralt, Ciri, Yen and Avallac'h are easily the best hero cards. Otherwise I use lots of siege with the siege master ability for the North or use a bunch of medics with Nilfgaard and their archers and crap.

The lack of spies really hurts the other two decks.
The monster deck is kind of fun but scoiatel just can't compete with lots of spies.

Tries really needs Villimentreth's (or however you spell it) scorch power because she's super useless. And Regis is way too weak. It took a guy that easily beat Geralt and Yen to kill him.
Am I crazy, or isn't Menno Coehorn a medic too? I'm pretty sure Nilf gets a hero 10 medic card and I can't remember who it is.

The Sharmat posted:

The cockatrice, the leshen, and a few others have actual trophies as well.
Wyvern, Forktail, and Fiend are all some, at least.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I'm at the end of it now just killed the archgriffon.

I basically used the guy who told me what to do after my last post's info as the objective markers for the whole quest, since it was so hosed up.

Unrelated, but it's a real shame that the griffon trophy is a sweet chopped off head that hangs from the side of your horse and the rest of them are all just a bag as far as I can tell. It's almost like they just made the griffon head for the gameplay videos and got lazy about the rest of them.

Look out for a contract called "Creature of the Oxenfurt Docks" or something like that, it's a neat quest and the trophy it gets you is a unique head that looks very rad. Its a lvl ~25 quest

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Trophychat: my assumption was that all of the creatures that resembled humans got bag trophies because riding around with severed, rotting human heads swinging from your saddle could get Kinda Weird pretty quick.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

pik_d posted:

If it helps any, the first one is Skellige's Most Wanted, and the second is Novigrad: Closed City. Do you have either of those in your Journal already?
Hmm Novigrad: Closed City was already completed way earlier and I haven't started Skellige's Most Wanted yet. Oh well.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I decided to play the first game again and the weirdest thing is how Geralt looks much more young and clean. I miss old beardy dad Geralt. Wanna do a W3 run while constantly wearing a striped gambeson and listening to Steely Dan for the ultimate dad experience.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

One feature that this game needs is the ability to leave your own flags with notes on the map. When I encounter a place with an enemy way ahead of my level I want to write on the flag what level it requires because otherwise a couple of hours/quests/new locations later I have no idea if I can come back to that unfinished hidden treasure or not or when I come back I'm already way overpowered.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
They still haven't fixed the Price of Honor chest bug. Hey, Comte. Fix the Price of Honor chest bug.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snak posted:

Someone convince me that medium and heavy armor is remotely viable. Wolf and Bear sets look so cool, but the school of the cat skill is so good I can't imagine trading it for anything.
You're going to kill stuff so effortlessly that it doesn't matter whether you have Cat School trained or not. Which leaves fashion as the only important stat.

E:I equipped Wolven armor (except gloves) and Ursine blades. Still Whirling my way to freedom.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Someone had mentioned that they recommended putting 13 points into the alchemy tree, then the rest into whatever. What would those 13 points go into?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's actually kind of cool replaying W1 after finishing 2 and 3. Triss is fake as gently caress lmao "oh you don't remember anything?;-*"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

I think trophies are a missed opportunity to do something cool. They only use what? like three different bonuses between all of them.

Trophies are my biggest legitimate disappointment with the game. The are the only thing that's a big step down from Witcher 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What does the alternative response scheme change?