Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If i listen to an In Our Time from 1988 and one from 2015 they sound exactly the same, and that's a good thing. How old is Melvyn Bragg now anyway? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

icantfindaname posted:

he's an angry bigot and if your answer to that is seriously "he's not racist, just a cultural chauvinist and general bigot :smug: neener neener" then loving laffo

Never heard of the guy before this, what is he actually famous or something?

He doesn't say anything racist in the talk with Dan Carlin though.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions that don't pan out.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Never heard of the guy before this, what is he actually famous or something?

He doesn't say anything racist in the talk with Dan Carlin though.

People like to say racist instead of bigoted because it elicits a stronger negative reaction in our culture (see everyone saying misogynist instead of sexist no matter the context). It's a lazy person's black or white way of thinking because people having nuanced opinions doesn't matter when you can just paint everyone you disagree with with a mean word and discount everything else about them. Welcome to the internet.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

much like your fyad posting career huh
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590943&perpage=40&pagenumber=256#post427171562

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ariza posted:

People like to say racist instead of bigoted because it elicits a stronger negative reaction in our culture (see everyone saying misogynist instead of sexist no matter the context). It's a lazy person's black or white way of thinking because people having nuanced opinions doesn't matter when you can just paint everyone you disagree with with a mean word and discount everything else about them. Welcome to the internet.

:ironicat:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ariza posted:

This is like goons going, "um, actually I believe the proper term is ephebophilia"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This is like goons going, "um, actually I believe the proper term is ephebophilia"

If you really believe that, you're a very dumb person and I feel sorry for your parents. If somehow you not knowing the difference between racism and bigotry or misogyny and sexism somehow makes me a pedo in your dumb brain, you should probably get off the internet more.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Can you post a link? Really curious!
http://link.theplatform.com/s/kYEXFC/_85qCAP8K8y_/file.mp3?metafile=false&feed=The%20Late%20Show%20Podcast

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

If i listen to an In Our Time from 1988 and one from 2015 they sound exactly the same, and that's a good thing. How old is Melvyn Bragg now anyway? :ohdear:

Bragg is 75, although still seems to be going pretty strong - still 16 years younger than fellow Radio 4 host Nicholas Parsons. I do hope they keep going with it after he retires/passes away though - it's such a unique and great show, and it would pretty much be impossible to make outside the umbrella of the BBC. Obviously wouldn't be the same without him, but there are plenty of BBC people who could make a decent go of it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ariza posted:

If you really believe that, you're a very dumb person and I feel sorry for your parents. If somehow you not knowing the difference between racism and bigotry or misogyny and sexism somehow makes me a pedo in your dumb brain, you should probably get off the internet more.

The point is in all three cases both behaviours are equally reprehensible and bringing up the difference as if it excuses the act is also scummy.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Rumda posted:

The point is in all three cases both behaviours are equally reprehensible and bringing up the difference as if it excuses the act is also scummy.

So if Sam Harris advocates profiling "Islamic looking people" it's the same to you as him leaving a burning cross in some black guy's front yard?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

loving stop it!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

adebisi lives posted:

So if Sam Harris advocates profiling "Islamic looking people" it's the same to you as him leaving a burning cross in some black guy's front yard?

No but it us the same as advocating leaving burning crosses in someone's back yard.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Pull up thread. Pull up

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Rumda posted:

No but it us the same as advocating leaving burning crosses in someone's back yard.

Lol holy poo poo.

Did you guys know that Dan Carlin interviewed Pat Buchanan for his podcast a few years ago? Let's race to find out how offended we are by that guy too.

Or we can stop being big babbies and stick to the topic.

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not even shocked considering the sort of stuff Dan gets into in Common Sense. Who's next? Bill Maher? John Schnatter? The ghost of Bill Buckley?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

adebisi lives posted:

Lol holy poo poo.

Did you guys know that Dan Carlin interviewed Pat Buchanan for his podcast a few years ago? Let's race to find out how offended we are by that guy too.

Intolerance is intolerance

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ariza posted:

Racism and sexism are both subsets of bigotry. Misogyny is a subset of sexism and thus itself a subset of bigotry. All types of bigotry are wrong and reprehensible to civilized society for the same fundamental reason. Hating someone for their culture, religion, sex, or race are all indicators of a terrible unpleasant person.

adebisi lives posted:

No but it is still racist.

Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

Shut up! Nobody cares about your stupid slapfight.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah take it to D&D or le gibbis

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Holy poo poo look at all these posts, there must be a new Hardcore History out...ooh.

Ignoring this prissy slapfight, any fans of Tank Riot ( http://www.tankriot.com) in here? Its a weird blend of history, current events, culture, and three nerds sperging, but its pretty awesome.

I highly recommend checking it out, especially if you want two hours of chat that you can come in and out of while you're doing something else.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Wow, i'm honored that people went years back to post some milquetoast posts of mine as if they were some kind of massive burn. In a thread that is 100% about talking about posters, not talking about people who make internet radio shows.

In a bit of a derail, back to talking about common sense, Dan and Sam make a good duo, Sam is very interventionist and optimistic, while Dan is much more grounded in reality with a very well informed pessimism about the West's role to play in the middle east in general.

One of the few common sense podcasts I'd actually recommend.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Wow, i'm honored that people went years back to post some milquetoast posts of mine as if they were some kind of massive burn. In a thread that is 100% about talking about posters, not talking about people who make internet radio shows.

In a bit of a derail, back to talking about common sense, Dan and Sam make a good duo, Sam is very interventionist and optimistic, while Dan is much more grounded in reality with a very well informed pessimism about the West's role to play in the middle east in general.

One of the few common sense podcasts I'd actually recommend.

dance puppets

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I listened to the latest Lesser Bonapartes about the Aztecs and really liked it! Thanks for the recommendation.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

adebisi lives posted:

No but him leaving a burning cross in an Islamic looking person's yard is no different than the black guy despite technically the Muslim being part of a separate minority group, despite the "no its ephebophilia" response by bigots

adebisi lives posted:

Lol holy poo poo.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

I'm sorry all your favorite podcasters are autistic bigoted manchildren

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 22, 2015

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

stealie72 posted:

Ignoring this prissy slapfight, any fans of Tank Riot ( http://www.tankriot.com) in here? Its a weird blend of history, current events, culture, and three nerds sperging, but its pretty awesome.

I highly recommend checking it out, especially if you want two hours of chat that you can come in and out of while you're doing something else.

I'm a big Tank Riot fan. There's the occasional episode that goes awry (they forget they have an audience or get too drunk), but it picks interesting topics and the insight on Wisconsin politics is interesting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've been listening to the Charles Manson saga on You Must Remember This, I'm two episodes in and it's great. Especially since Manson has always existed to me as a pop culture signifier for creepy cult leaders/murderers like Jim Jones but nothing beyond that.

I've also been listening to Slate's Whistlestop, and it's great if you're at the "I've read a Rick Perlstein book" level of US politics nerdery or aspiring to it. There's an episode on Dewey Defeats Truman, for instance, or Reagan's 'Nashua moment'. It's also nicely self-reflective in the sense that it acknowledges we love to pore over these details and dramatic turning points of presidential campaigns, but they may not really have had the huge impact we love to assign to them. The episodes on 19th century elections are especially noteworthy because it's a period that doesn't get enough love for how batshit insane some of the campaigns were.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Over the last two years, I've gone from really only listening to podcasts occasionally (subscribed to one or two) to so many I had to open my podcast app to count them all. gently caress this thread for adding one more (Whistlestop).

thank you thread

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Psh, neophyte. Come back when you're subscribed to 79 podcasts.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Antti posted:

I've been listening to the Charles Manson saga on You Must Remember This, I'm two episodes in and it's great. Especially since Manson has always existed to me as a pop culture signifier for creepy cult leaders/murderers like Jim Jones but nothing beyond that.
You'll love the episode where it's revealed that the real villain of the podcast is Roman Polanski. That's a slight exaggeration but wow the dude is a real dog.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RP is one of cinema's great artists, it's only natural he also be Hollywood scumbag #1.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Phew I thought you wrote RIP for a second and thought he'd died. Not that he's done great movies lately or anything but still

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Interesting, the Ten American Presidents podcast just published episode four, featuring the little-known President Colin Powell :stare:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

webmeister posted:

Interesting, the Ten American Presidents podcast just published episode four, featuring the little-known President Colin Powell :stare:

Well, that's stretching the premise somewhat. Who's next, Josiah Bartlet? :colbert:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
whoever is organizing the 10usp podcast is a complete moron. why do they keep numbering side episodes and unrelated individuals as part of the main episodes? they should place them to one side and categorize them differently. Also Colin Powell is now an American president I guess.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dude's way too blinded by his ambitions and vision for these podcasts, and he doesn't take criticism well

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Well, that's stretching the premise somewhat. Who's next, Josiah Bartlet? :colbert:

You joke but I would listen to that episode every day on the drive to work if I could.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sneaking a Josiah Bartlet/WW episode into a historical/politics podcast would be a great April 1st prank.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I just checked on The History of Rome on iTunes and listing it through the date released, it immediatly jumps from 001- In The Beginning to 011 - The Morning After. Is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I just checked on The History of Rome on iTunes and listing it through the date released, it immediatly jumps from 001- In The Beginning to 011 - The Morning After. Is this correct?

Nope.

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2008/11/index.html