Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had my first couple games in the Mogami. That thing is a MONSTER.

Also had my worst yet matchmaking experience.

Note the total lack of tier 5s on the other team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have now played the Myogi some.

Everything about this boat hurts and I hate it.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
It doesn't get better. On the other hand the soothing balm of the Kongo is worth the dick shrivelling agony of the myogi .

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I could forgive the guns firing like a drunken one-eyed stormtrooper if it had more than 6 of them. I could forgive it being really loving huge if it had any armor to speak of. I could forgive so much of this boat if it had one good thing about it. At least the Kawachi could gently caress a dude up if I got in there.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Night10194 posted:

Why. I am genuinely curious.

Easy to citadel everything at your tier. Having two turrets on both sides means you can quickly engage another target after the first goes down or hides behind an island or you need to turn the gently caress around because you don't want to YOLO into the enemy team alone. It also helps you a lot in those low tier knife fights where you have to turn constantly to keep bearing on someone. I never had a problem working around the range, given I already knew the lower-tier maps well enough to just pop out and blow someone away at 5km or so. A St. Louis at 10km range is dangerous, but the trick is to not get into those sniper fights, or to get surprised with your guns pointed the wrong way in close. A St. Louis under your guns at less than 7km is meat.

There's a fair bit to think about between having low speed, how you have to approach the typical fighting zones at a different range than your cruisers, yet still need enemy destroyers to die before wading in.

It kind of felt like I'd spend five or more minutes setting up a fight, then BAM sucker punch one or two hapless cruisers (although not that hapless because they had to have seen me coming), before healing and setup again.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Night10194 posted:

At least the Kawachi could gently caress a dude up if I got in there.

:what:

No seriously, what? The Kawachi is an absolute peice of trash. It gets outranged by literally everything ever, hitting is more a matter of luck than actually aiming, and it feels like it's made out of construction paper reinforced with cardboard. And not that good corrugated cardboard, but cheap lovely cardboard that's been left outside in the rain for a week. Even if it can gently caress up a dude at close range, that only happens if your opponents are idiots because everything short of a carrier is faster than you. It's completely irredeemable. At least the Myogi has something resembling range on the guns.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Rorac posted:

No seriously, what? The Kawachi is an absolute peice of trash. It gets outranged by literally everything ever, hitting is more a matter of luck than actually aiming, and it feels like it's made out of construction paper reinforced with cardboard. And not that good corrugated cardboard, but cheap lovely cardboard that's been left outside in the rain for a week. Even if it can gently caress up a dude at close range, that only happens if your opponents are idiots because everything short of a carrier is faster than you. It's completely irredeemable. At least the Myogi has something resembling range on the guns.

Your opponents in this game are 99% idiots, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Kawachi is trash, but it was trash that could take advantage of an opponent's mistakes and that forced you to get into a range where you could hurt someone. The Myogi's range feels like a trap, because it doesn't have the volume of fire of the Wyoming (or the armor) to make up for BB inaccuracy at long ranges so you're going to need to get in there anyway, and the boat is loving massive. I was sailing next to my buddy's Wyoming, and he was *tiny* next to that thing. It is not at all hard to hit a Myogi and the boat is made of pure Japanese Citadelanium.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This game made me turn on replays.

The end was me 1v2ing a Chikuma and Hashidate with them at 75% and me starting at 6k, health, but thankfully the Hashidate got scared and ran into the arms of our Sampson. That's the best game in term of points I've ever had, and definitely the most exciting.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Man it sure is fun being the sole tier 7 BB in a match where your team has a bad player in a strike loaded Independence vs a Ryujo and Ranger, both strike loaded. Carriers normally aren't a problem if it's just the one or if there's some kind of balance, but when the enemy has such blatant air supremacy and your team lacks both AA and functional prefrontal cortices, you may as well just go do something more enjoyable, like nailing your dick to a door and slamming it shut.

I was able to take about four of their ships down to half health while the carriers focused the first BB they saw (a Myogi, of all things), but then they came for me. Nothing I can do against that many torp bombers all approaching from different directions, and no way to not get focused when you're such a juicy target. I wasn't alone, either - I was surrounded by cruisers, who were able to do approximately gently caress and all to such a massive air armada.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
CVs were a lot more fun when everyone ran the multi-role squadron set-up because it was the best of the three. :(

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

cheese posted:

I hope once this close range accuracy buff for BB's goes in, people will start brawling in them more. Not only is it fun, but its loving really good. I charged in on a distracted Amagi in my Myoko and once I got to like 7.5km I started taking 2k damage volleys from his secondaries like every 4-5 seconds. By the time I got to 3km and spun to launch torps, I had lost like 12k health and was burning from 2 fires. A couple of games later, I watched another Amagi basically solo a New Orleans from 15k health to dead just with his secondaries.

Not a chance, pubbies are way too risk averse in this game, especialy at high tier.
Even while the ennemy team has two carrier and their team none, they will keep running circle at long range waiting to be all bombed to oblivion rather than rush in and win the game.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/Italeri-Bismarck/
Well idk if it's worth money, but Euro folks check it out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I find the problem is more that when you try to close your BB gets set on fire from stem to stern and you've lost half your health before you get within 10km.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Aesis posted:

Honestly I don't know why it hasn't occurred to them yet - since they're *currently doing it in loving WoT with +15% mods* to sell the +50% xp flags in packs of 50 in the WoWS Premium Store. It's not like they're +50% to credit/silver earning as well.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

James Garfield posted:

There's some hint that Deutschland will be a tier 4 battleship, which is just lame as hell. It's not like it'd be hard to balance 6x11" on a tier ~8 cruiser.
Even worse, if Deutschland is a tier 4 battleship then it's likely that Alaska will be a boring mid tier battleship, and not putting Alaska at tier 9 or 10 would just be the worst.

This makes me legit mad.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Well, Deutschland was pretty old and slow, so I'm not sure how it would hold up as a tier 10... I do like the idea of a high tier cruiser with bigger than 8" guns but it all depends on how War gaming do the stats.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I mean, it's not really a battleship, nor is it a cruiser. I understand the difficulty of balancing it, but it just seems like a strange decision to put it as tier 4 battleship.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It won't have the speed of the Myogi but will have as many guns in the broadside, and it will be underarmored as well. It sucks, is what I'm saying. It honestly is more of an overgunned cruiser, and it should be balanced as such. The 11" guns will have a fairly slow reload, anyway, so I don't see how it can't be balanced against the other high-tier cruisers.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Aesis posted:

I wonder if the code works on NA. Also if anyone would want the code only, I am probably gonna order 1 for myself, could just order 2 and give you the 2nd code.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They're doing a poll on what the WoW mascot should be:

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll370115x697C41E0-14

Spoiler: The correct answer is Ship's Cat

James Garfield posted:

Someone had better round up a few hundred votes for the cat because those :drat: those mascot choices are boring.

Ship Cat is leading now.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Finally a good game in New Orleans. Took down Sims and half hp Atago 1v2 (Both set me on fire and I lost 25k hp :argh:) then got 5 more citadel hits on Mogami and Atago. Unfortunately they sunk so fast so I couldn't get kills or High Caliber.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Nicholas love, this may be my best game in any ship.

Very balanced, guns/torps. Survived the game. Yes, you lose a turret with the hull upgrade, but the rapid fire guns are pretty good for a trade off. Someone got a flyer in on my 6th kill.

Killed 3 BB, Basically 2 CV, and a outmatched IJN dd that was like what, you have guns? Got hit with one torp bomb.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just came back to this after taking a break in closed beta, and it's still fun, even if my computer can barely play it... But holy poo poo, the unending amounts of fire and module damage is getting incredibly old. It feels like every hit either screws something up or sends my ship up in flames. It didn't used to be this way. :smith:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just came back to this after taking a break in closed beta, and it's still fun, even if my computer can barely play it... But holy poo poo, the unending amounts of fire and module damage is getting incredibly old. It feels like every hit either screws something up or sends my ship up in flames. It didn't used to be this way. :smith:

There's a good chance they did it to encourage people to buy the premium repair party modules.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

On the bright side, I know you love torpedoes, and they still gently caress everything up. They almost always cause drowning, too, since they hit under the waterline. I just pretty much ignore fires, I save it for dead engines, jammed rudders, or floods.

What's the right third-tier commander skill for a BB? What about a cruiser? I'm inclined either to get longer torpedo acquisition range or faster repair crew recharge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can you cause Flooding in any way besides using torpedoes? I did it to someone by ramming him once, but I've never had a shell pull it off.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm inclined either to get longer torpedo acquisition range or faster repair crew recharge.

Well do you prefer "poo poo, torps.. looks like I'm gonna take one or two..hope I don't sink. " or "Ha! Barely made it thanks to my repair crew!"

I personally would get more out of faster repair to be honest.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 25, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This is the most citadels I have ever gotten in a single game. Fifteen to kill a Kuma and two Omahas then six HE citadels on a Langley. I thought I was dead meat at the beginning of the match when my steering was taken out twice, but it probably helped since it let other people take the lead and focus. One of the Omahas was pretty good and got two citadels on me because I was not angled enough. It might have killed me if not for the fact that it damaged propulsion and slowed my ship enough to throw off the lead of his next salvo.

Replay

Night10194 posted:

Can you cause Flooding in any way besides using torpedoes? I did it to someone by ramming him once, but I've never had a shell pull it off.
No, just ramming and torpedoes. I think AP may have caused flooding in alpha when there was a second buoyancy lifebar. One of the alpha goons would know.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the right third-tier commander skill for a BB? What about a cruiser? I'm inclined either to get longer torpedo acquisition range or faster repair crew recharge.
I don't think the torpedo acquisition skill is very good. The key to avoiding torpedoes is to anticipate them before they are launched, not after you see them, and the skill does not help against torpedo bombers. Faster repair crew recharge is probably the best pick for battleships, though an argument could be made for Superintendent since it gives another heal charge.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On the bright side, I know you love torpedoes, and they still gently caress everything up. They almost always cause drowning, too, since they hit under the waterline. I just pretty much ignore fires, I save it for dead engines, jammed rudders, or floods.

Torps are still pretty cool, but my meager FPS are even more hosed than they were so I miss way more than I used to. Ditto guns.

The strange thing is when I'm chugging along at around 12-17 FPS and I still do as well or better than half my team. I've had games where multiple DD smoke screens have dropped my FPS down to the single digits, but I was still in the top 3. :psyduck:

Did they change AP and HE much? Is it still 'AP for everything you can penetrate, HE for everything you can't / fires?'.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

To be fair, WOWS is a pretty slow game, and having superhigh FPS isn't so important as correctly leading targets and planning out what you're doing well in advance. Even 5-10 FPS is perfectly manageable, if a bit uncomfortable given that actions have to be planned a minute or more in advance.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

There's nothing more satisfying than to be having one of your best matches so far, then have your teammate just start torpedoing your broadside repeatedly until you die.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Devorum posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than to be having one of your best matches so far, then have your teammate just start torpedoing your broadside repeatedly until you die.

There's nothing more satisfying than to be the only CV in the game, then find out you got stuck on the shitler team

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DoubleWelp posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than to be the only CV in the game, then find out you got stuck on the shitler team

"Hurr we've got the only carrier that means we can just gently caress off and let him soften everything up. Easy win, easy win lollll."

*ten-plus useless loving minutes later*

"U SUCK CARRIER GUY - U DIDN'T FOCUS THE TARGETS *I* WAS SHOOTING AT, SO THAT'S WHY WE LOST. UR FAULT, NEVUR MINE."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 25, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Torps are still pretty cool, but my meager FPS are even more hosed than they were so I miss way more than I used to. Ditto guns.

The strange thing is when I'm chugging along at around 12-17 FPS and I still do as well or better than half my team. I've had games where multiple DD smoke screens have dropped my FPS down to the single digits, but I was still in the top 3. :psyduck:

Did they change AP and HE much? Is it still 'AP for everything you can penetrate, HE for everything you can't / fires?'.
What are your system specs? I'm running an i3 that is one or two generations old, 8gb, and a gtx460 OCed to about a gtx560 specs. I have no FPS problems. You might have something other than hardware going on.

AP for CAs and BBs you can pen, HE for DDs and CVs, to my understanding. DDs don't have citadels anymore.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Missed this post before, I'm stoked I get to be on one of those soon.

Also, I started the OB going American cruisers, but more and more find myself going Japanese and American DDs and Jap CAs because they're just better. Ugh. Wish I could respec all those wasted exp points. The Cleveland is a good boat, but not what she was in Closed.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I might be playing this game wrong, I am sitting on 20mil credits and 220k free xp. The Warspite is so nice if you keep getting t6 games in it, kinda shows how much the MM can gently caress you over.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are your system specs? I'm running an i3 that is one or two generations old, 8gb, and a gtx460 OCed to about a gtx560 specs. I have no FPS problems. You might have something other than hardware going on.

AP for CAs and BBs you can pen, HE for DDs and CVs, to my understanding. DDs don't have citadels anymore.

Some office machine that I picked up for a song when my last computer committed suicide. No graphics card. It's some AMD quad core thing that also processes the graphics. It somehow runs Skyrim at 30+ FPS.

It's definitely the computer.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
drat, the Myoko is a fine ship. Rarely had so much fun in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thronde posted:

Missed this post before, I'm stoked I get to be on one of those soon.

What class is that anyway? It reminds me a bit of a Ticonderoga but it is not?