Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

mobby_6kl posted:

You know how people freak out about Americans having so many guns per capita?

Yeah it's probably just this guy throwing things off

Why do people buy enough guns to supply a small army? I can sort of see the warped logic behind owning 20 of them, but anymore and you're on the same level as someone lines their walls with anime dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

http://www.geocities.jp/manchutikuo/

http://manchukuo.destroy-china.jp/

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Why do people buy enough guns to supply a small army? I can sort of see the warped logic behind owning 20 of them, but anymore and you're on the same level as someone lines their walls with anime dolls.

Many people consider guns a safe haven asset, like wine, art, and gold.
Private gold was confiscated by the federal government with Executive Order 6102 in April 5, 1933 so fewer people horde gold.
A large portion of the Take-ur-gunz! craziness is protecting the market value.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MizPiz posted:

Like any collection some of them you use, some of them are historically significant or rare, and some are just cool.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Usually these caches are mostly generic firearms purchased by unstable hoarder types. Not impossible to find something good among the crap but they're quite different from historical or market-value collectors.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It my experience it's exclusively mentally unstable jack-offs. One of my friend's dad died a few years ago, they weren't on the greatest terms because he was kind of a nutball, and me and a couple others volunteered to help clean out his house. In between the literal trash bags full of cat feces we found over two hundred bolt action rifles, 3 dozen modern semi-autos, and about a dozen full autos of various types. Guns were bundled into rugs in groups without regard for variety, condition, or any organization that we could figure out.

Dude was convinced the government was going to come take his guns any day.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If you're into military history or whatever, 20 guns would barely cover WWII service rifles.

quote:

The new weapon was produced in a network of factories in Moscow, with high-level local Party members made directly responsible for meeting production targets. A few hundred weapons were produced in November 1941 and another 155,000 were made during the next five months. By spring 1942, the PPSh factories were producing roughly 3,000 units a day. Soviet production figures for 1942 indicate that almost 1.5 million units were produced. The PPSh-41 was a classic example of a design adapted for mass production. Its parts (excluding the barrel) could be produced by a relatively unskilled workforce with simple equipment available in an auto repair garage or tin shop, freeing more skilled workers for other tasks. The PPSh-41 used 87 components compared to 95 for the PPD-40 and the PPSh could be manufactured with an estimated 5.6 machining hours (later revised to 7.3 hours) compared with 13.7 hours for the PPD. Barrel production was often simplified by using barrels for the 7.62mm M1891 Mosin–Nagant rifle: the rifle barrel was cut in half and two PPSh barrels were made from it after machining the chamber for the 7.62mm Soviet submachine gun cartridge.

quote:

During design, emphasis was placed on simplifying production and eliminating most machining operations; most of the weapon's parts were sheet-steel stamped. These measures reduced the number of machined components to a bare minimum, cutting down machining time by more than half, to 2.7 hours of machining instead of 7.3 hours for the PPSh-41. There were also savings of over 50% in raw steel usage, down to 6.2 kg instead of 13.9 kg, and fewer workers were required to manufacture and assemble the parts. Thanks to the improvements in production efficiency, the Soviet planners estimated that the new gun would have allowed an increase in monthly submachine gun output from 135,000 units to 350,000 weapons.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArchRanger posted:

It my experience it's exclusively mentally unstable jack-offs. One of my friend's dad died a few years ago, they weren't on the greatest terms because he was kind of a nutball, and me and a couple others volunteered to help clean out his house. In between the literal trash bags full of cat feces we found over two hundred bolt action rifles, 3 dozen modern semi-autos, and about a dozen full autos of various types. Guns were bundled into rugs in groups without regard for variety, condition, or any organization that we could figure out.

Don't forget the neckties!

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYao1Mju7A

Pretty Russian woman sings Cossack song about war

Wow she's quite stunning, with an amazing voice. I look forward to her feuding with Taylor Swift soon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ArchRanger posted:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Like any collection some of them you use, some of them are historically significant or rare, and some are just cool.

Yeah there's nutballs, but having been in a private room (actually an underground bunker) that looked a lot like that pic, there's also just guys who like guns and have way too much money. In this case it was a very, very rich guy.

I'm poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0dCqe6R6o

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Gunman opens fire in Lafayette cinema, kills 3, injures 7, kills self.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/23/us/louisiana-theater-shooting/

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

murphyslaw posted:

Gunman opens fire in Lafayette cinema, kills 3, injures 7, kills self.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/23/us/louisiana-theater-shooting/

sheez now I have to guard cinemas too!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Pretty sure that's not what Hitler proved but you do you, theater-shooter-man.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
friendly reminder that the third way between capitalism and communism is absolute monarchy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buzkashi posted:

Pretty sure that's not what Hitler proved but you do you, theater-shooter-man.

Maybe the only history book he had stopped somewhere before early 1941 :iiam:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Trench_Rat posted:

friendly reminder that the third way between capitalism and communism is absolute monarchy

Let's take a look at the world's remaining absolute monarchs then!

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei

Sultan Qaboos bin Said al Said of Oman

King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi-Arabia

King Mswati III of Swaziland

Pope Francis of Vatican City

Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar

The Federal Supreme Council of the United Arab Emirates, consisting of the emirs of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Fujairah, Sharjah, Dubai, Ras al-Khaimah and Umm al-Qaiwain. Both the posts of the president and the prime minister are hereditary as well.

Of course, some of the "constitutional monarchies" reserve such extensive powers for the monarch that you might just call them "absolute" instead

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

Maybe the only history book he had stopped somewhere before early 1941 :iiam:
Hitler did prove that slightly less poo poo people can retake the world from very poo poo people though.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

ArchRanger posted:

You guys found a quarter million dollars worth of registered FA guns?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

bidikyoopi posted:

How do you arrive at the quarter million figure? Even if they were properly registered (and he wasn't a dealer) it's entirely likely that most were closer to the $3-6k M2-trigger pack level than the $25k+ LMG level. Though I suppose it could have been worth that much depending on when exactly he collected them (and how rich/crazy he was).

oh also

from the editorial page of the newspaper of record in this state

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 25, 2015

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

bidikyoopi posted:

poo poo if I know how much they got after they'd auctioned off almost everything, though my friend did end up paying off her college debt with it and still had a good chunk leftover. I helped with some of the sorting later but mostly all I did was help find them and carry them out of the house, I'm going off of what I was told later. The biggest part of the sorting I did was figuring out which of the bolt action rifles were nonfunctional rusty pieces of poo poo and which were in somewhat decent condition. From what I'm told they ended up getting something like fifty bucks a piece off of old bolt-actions, no clue on the others.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least a hundred thousand dollars worth of guns there though. From what I understand the guy treated them like a savings account, whenever he had some money he'd buy a few more rifles, wrap them in rugs and throw them in some forgotten corner of the house to be buried under trash and this had been going on for decades. The house was probably really nice when he first bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trmG0mgrkM8

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Imgur is often lovely, but sometimes they're ok:

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Context being that this is the "As something that I'm not" puffin, calling out people using the unpopular opinion puffin to pretend to be black/female/trans/gay and then say horrible things about that group of people.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
When it's in quotations, it comes across as sarcastic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

I wonder what a retrospective on Port Arthur is doing on an American news site? It's almost like NBC's editorial staff is trying to say something here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

SO sick of seeing that one and its variations.

From Udo J. Keppler:

Bonus images:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

StickySweater posted:

SO sick of seeing that one and its variations.

Same. Yes, American health care is a somewhat large portion of why he wasn't able to be treated, but in the first season his rich friend from college literally offered to give him a job with amazing insurance to help treat his cancer and he turned it down. It's much more a show about unhealthy masculinity and how pride and images of what a man should be dictates this man's life. He chooses to give up his humanity and murder people, it was a choice after he had the option to work an amazing job and get full treatment for his cancer.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

RN34 Immigrants! Feat. Donald Trump & Tony Abbott [RAP NEWS 34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkW0kWb1x0

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Same. Yes, American health care is a somewhat large portion of why he wasn't able to be treated, but in the first season his rich friend from college literally offered to give him a job with amazing insurance to help treat his cancer and he turned it down. It's much more a show about unhealthy masculinity and how pride and images of what a man should be dictates this man's life. He chooses to give up his humanity and murder people, it was a choice after he had the option to work an amazing job and get full treatment for his cancer.

Nah it wasn't a job it was a handout, and there was a lot of bad blood between them

Other than that you're spot on wrt toxic masculinity

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

RN34 Immigrants! Feat. Donald Trump & Tony Abbott [RAP NEWS 34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUkW0kWb1x0

The sad part is that Trump is just some ridiculous sideshow there to highlight how ridiculous the Republican party has become and Tony Abbott is the current Australian PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

• Locked thread