Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

eSporks posted:

Vortex is a potential do nothing. Its a bit backwards to run a do nothing to avoid drawing do nothings.

Yeah, the trick with it is cards that let you get more lands like Life From the Loam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, the trick with it is cards that let you get more lands like Life From the Loam

Run it in Aggro Loam. :getin:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just played for the first time in over 3 years (origins sealed) and even though I got unlucky in most games, waited around for at least 2 hours and everyone I used to play with has gone elsewhere I've still caught the bug :getin:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Balon posted:

It triggers prowess when you play it the first time, and can surprise clear out blockers or finish an opponent. You really don't play it on turn 1, you play it when it becomes relevant. Suddenly you're turning 2 cards that do nothing in your hand in to advantage rather than dead draws.

The #1 issue I found with the deck is that I'd get gassed and draw in to nothing but my 20 lands. If I weren't running vortex tonight it'd be the same case. But Vortex took it all and earned its spot in my deck.

Now there's nothing saying that the maindeck is the RIGHT spot for it; you might want to side it in against midrange or a game that might take longer. But it has a home in the deck, no doubt.
I didn't mean to imply it was bad, just that it being a do nothing is a reason you might not want to run it.

I understand the value of flood protection, and I played a lot with stonewright. Stonewright was awesome because it didn't penalize you for playing lands to the board, and it was also still pretty good even when you did not flood out. I just see vortex as betting against yourself in a way.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So if I wanted to make a cube based on a single set, in this case, conspiracy, what would be the correct distribution of rarities of cards.

1 of each mythic
2 of each rare
??? of each uncommon
??? of each Common

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Played turbo fog at FNM. It was my first time playing standard (I usually draft) and I had three matches in a row against mono red goblin decks with some burn, and it's just too fast unless you have absolutely perfect draw. My last match was Abzan aggro and I lived the dream going 2-0. Not sure how to even sideboard effectively against mono red with this deck, but when it works it's super fun.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

AlternateNu posted:

It is going to be hilarious when we find out that the Battle for Zendikar fails, Gideon dies, and Nahiri become the new mono-W walker.

eldrazi gonna escape zendikar

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
also bet we get new versions without annihilator since it's a bullshit mechanic

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

born on a buy you posted:

also bet we get new versions without annihilator since it's a bullshit mechanic

I hope we get Double Annihilator

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Annihilator but you discard cards instead would honestly be pretty decent as a "don't ever let this dude attack" thing, but without the "you're now completely hosed since you have no permanents" side.

Also because you could meaningfully play around it by deploying your entire hand first.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Went 3-1 at FNM tonight playing Turbo Fog. Lost in the finals against U/B Control, a matchup I think I could have won, except I got too greedy with playing multiple Tutelages on the board and got wrecked by a timely Perilous Vault.

Fun fact! 2 other people were also playing Turbo Fog, and luckily I didn't have to face either of them. Deck is sweet, crushing Abzan Control with a $20 deck is sweet, and I will continue to make tweaks.

Edit: Another fun fact! I watched another guy on Turbo Fog go to turns against his opponent, manage to mill his opponent out on T5, extend the hand to shake...then I pointed out to him that his opponent doesn't actually lose until his next draw phase. Cue sad trombone.

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 25, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Agentdark posted:

So if I wanted to make a cube based on a single set, in this case, conspiracy, what would be the correct distribution of rarities of cards.

1 of each mythic
2 of each rare
??? of each uncommon
??? of each Common

Cubing with one set is basically drafting that set straight from the packs. Just find out the print runs and make up packs.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
annimilator: exile the top X cards of your library when this attacks

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jabor posted:

Annihilator but you discard cards instead would honestly be pretty decent as a "don't ever let this dude attack" thing, but without the "you're now completely hosed since you have no permanents" side.

Also because you could meaningfully play around it by deploying your entire hand first.

That seems too strongly identified with black. Besides, most decks naturally run out their hands before the CMC 15 monstrosities start turning sideways, so it doesn't seem like a great fit for huge lategame creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

eldrazi gonna escape zendikar

2/3 of them already did

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

qbert posted:

Went 3-1 at FNM tonight playing Turbo Fog. Lost in the finals against U/B Control, a matchup I think I could have won, except I got too greedy with playing multiple Tutelages on the board and got wrecked by a timely Perilous Vault.

Fun fact! 2 other people were also playing Turbo Fog, and luckily I didn't have to face either of them. Deck is sweet, crushing Abzan Control with a $20 deck is sweet, and I will continue to make tweaks.

Edit: Another fun fact! I watched another guy on Turbo Fog go to turns against his opponent, manage to mill his opponent out on T5, extend the hand to shake...then I pointed out to him that his opponent doesn't actually lose until his next draw phase. Cue sad trombone.

Wouldn't day's undoing by itself push the deck to $50+? I thought those were kind of essential

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Days Undoing is not necessary for the deck.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Agentdark posted:

I did this with 1 each mythic, 1 each rare, 2 each uncommon 4 each common. It's enough for 8 people and is pretty close to real packs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Modern Bogles report at FNM. I brought 2 of my decks and lent Grixis Delver to another store regular so we could get 8 people to play.

Deck: GW Bogles

//Creatures
4 Slippery Bogle
4 Gladecover Scout
4 Kor Spiritdancer
1 Dryad Arbor

//Lands
4 Windswept Heath
4 Brushland
4 Temple Garden
4 Plains
2 Forest

//Spells
2 Suppression Field
3 Path to Exile

//Auras
4 Rancor
4 Ethereal Armor
1 Keen Sense
4 Daybreak Coronet
1 Spirit Mantle
2 Unflinching Courage
4 Hyena Umbra
3 Spider Umbra
1 Spirit Link

//Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Nature's Claim
2 Choke
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Gaddock Teeg
1 Dismember
1 Suppression Field

Display deck statistics

Round 1: Merfolk
Game 1: I have a turn 2 Field out stopping Aether Vial and turn 4 swing in with Daybreaks and Ethereal Armors. Not much he can do. I side in the extra field and Nature's Claim to stop Spread Seas and Vial.
Game 2: I drop 2 Suppression Fields but he gets out 2 Spreading Seas on my dual lands. I rip off two plains off the top to drop 2 Coronets to smash in.

Round 2: GW Hatebears
Game 1: I keep a very shaky hand (only land an Arbor, but with 1 other creature and good auras.) He goes turn 1 Bird, Turn 2 Voice, Turn 3 Thalia, while I do not draw any other lands. He slowly knocks me down until I get to 3 lands. I then misplay, putting out a 1 mana (that costs 2) aura first instead of Pathing Thalia first, meaning I'm done for the turn. leaving me at 11. He swings in with everything he has next turn (Thalia, Voice, Smiter) bringing me down to 3. Next turn I draw a plains, Path Thalia, drop a Coronet and Smash in for 5. Next turn he drops a Wilt Leaf Liege and swings with everything, but forgets my Elf is now bigger than Voice, so I eat it up and only lose 1. The game is now firmly in my control but I cannot draw a trampling aura or Spirit Mantle to swing in for leathal for about 8-9 turns. I just keep drawing auras and swinging for 20 every turn. He scoops once he draws 2 lands in a row. I only sideboard in my Dismember for a Keen Sense because very little in my SB is tuned to fight this deck.
Game 2: I have a much better hand, and drop turn 2 Field in response to his turn 2 Qasali Pridemage. He decides to try and grow his board instead of killing that on site, and next turn a drop another one. By the time he has enough mana to kill anything I already have 3 auras on a Bogle and I'm munching through his creatures. Match continues like the first one until he gives up.

Round 3: Naya Burn
A note about this guy: He played with MTGMintCard in Pro Tour Fate Reforged, when they unveiled the Naya burn deck, which has now become the standard version. So he knows his way around the deck.
Game 1: I keep a 2 Plains and do not draw a green source, so the only action I can do is play my Spiritdancers and watch them get Bolted before I can do anything to them. I side out the Spiritdancers for Leylines.
Game 2: Leyline in hand, drop a Bogle and start swinging in. By turn 4 he has to try Helixing his Guide to stay alive but I Path in response.
Game 3: I keep a hand with 2 Brushland but with a Spirit Link. Turn 2, he drops a Eidolon of the Great Revel, so I'm getting hit for 3 every time I play something. After that I'm thinking I should have mulled until I found a Leyline. I swing in with Ethereal Armor and Link turn 2. Turn 3 he swings in but leaves 2 mana up, so I know he has a Destructive Revelry in hand. By the time I knew I already screwed up. Turn 2 I decided to play the Brushland instead of a Plains found by Guide. I was thinking I should want green mana to add Rancor onto my guy to see if I could swing in for 9 and kill him that turn, when I should have played the Plains to keep my life total up. At this point I am at 7 life. I play 1 Ethereal Armor with the Plains, going down to 5. If I play another aura using the painland, I would go to down to 2 and he can Revelry and just kill me before I swing. So instead I swing with 3 auras, he destroys the Spirit Link, he gets down to 3, and wins. I should have added in the Nature's Claim so I could kill Eidolon or my own auras to gain life. I may have to go out and get Thickets because these Painlands killed me in this matchup. I go 2-1 and don't get the promo because another person went 2-0-1 playing Swan control with snow basics and Skred.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

qbert posted:

I went 3-1 as well at my FNM, two other people were playing Turbo Fog as well (not the same store). I based my list on the one you posted with some tweaks and also suggestions from another guy running it as well at the store. Most expensive card in the list is Dig Through Time, followed by the newer origins cards in the sideboard. No Days Undoing here either.

R1 Abzan Aggro - 1-2 - g1 a warden got out of control and my hand never really developed. G2 deck did its thing. G3 was a risky 2 land keep that never got there so my fault there.

R2 BW Warriors - 2-0 - G1 deck did its thing and profane momento gained me around 15 life. G2 I ended up needing to recycle my deck with learn from the past (running that and bow of nylea to go infinite) but I got there. Matchup is harder than you'd think because of the "opponent loses a life whenever this creature attacks" guy and some instant that drains for however many attackers you have.

r3 - UR Tokens / control 2-1 - G1 decked my opponent. g2 - opponent had all the counter spells (around 16 at least) and I couldn't fog his tokens. He cast 4 dissolve 3 cancel 2 silumgar scorn, 3 negate, 2 d-stroke during that game alone. G3 took him out via grind lock and the engine in t3 upkeep

R4 - THE MIRROR!! - 2-0 - absolutely hilarious to play. G1 I won the die roll, negated his t3 tutelage and ran mine out my t4. Milled his Orb of Warding and we played it out to a full decking. Took around 5 minutes and we were the first table done with G1. G2 was interesting as his sideboard had 4 master of waves, mine had artifact / enchantment removal (unravel the aether, and the green for cost instant that kills artifacts, enchantments, and flyers) and orbs. I had grind clock and tutelage first but he had a t5 orb and a t6 tutelage (I didn't have counters). I had orb in my hand which I played with counter backup after he cast his first master. I removed his orb after he tapped low again for a second master and went to town. My second orb locked it up as he could only do 3 damage a turn and I ended up getting a second tutelage and 3 draw engines going. We were finished before half of the other matches completed.

Thoughts about the deck.
+ really cheap, I snagged the remaining cards for less than $10 and they were all from origins. Total cost is maybe $25? You'll be beating $250-$300 decks with it
+ sequencing early turns especially against aggressive decks is very interesting and challenging, usually I end up taking a lot of time turns 2 through 5 but after that my turns take maybe 10 seconds at most
+ deck plays pretty fast actually
+ the mirror is hilarious
+ competitive right now, but I think if your opponent knows what you're doing it'll be much more tough, even more so if sideboard hate starts coming in
- opponents get really salty when you win
- lots of triggers to run when the deck gets going. If you aren't good at keeping on top of that it'll be tough.
- explaining the engine to opponents is difficult and initially milling is very slow.
- Aggro is tough, mono red with an average hand is VERY tough

Bottom line - fun and funny deck. Great example of why I like super standard

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Megaannihilator 6 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices six permanents. Then put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I went 4-0 last night and got 11 packs with MonoU Thoperbots. I really expected the deck to 1-3 and or 2-2 but man it was wrong last night. It'll be sad when M15 rotates out but I'm more excited for what will be in BFZ to support the archetype

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

superstepa posted:

Wouldn't day's undoing by itself push the deck to $50+? I thought those were kind of essential

No, they're actually terrible in the deck. The only reason the SCG dude was running them was because he copied the list Ali Aintrazi posted in a TCG article and Ali mistakenly believed Day's Undoing could trigger Tutelage, which it cannot. It was literally a mistake card thrown in because the brewer didn't understand the rules.

A card like Anticipate is much better at digging for a fog, or if you really want, you could just play more actual fog cards in the deck (Revealing Wind).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like it as a one or two of panic button, but it's by no means necessary for the deck to function.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I'm playing the MTGO Origins Prerelease, and my opponent played Necromantic Summons on my Managorger Hydra he Reave Souled earlier, and it came back with the counters I had on it. Definitely didn't help my game.

Edit: Oh wait maybe he had spell mastery. gently caress my reading comprehension.

blahz fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 25, 2015

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Tried out G/B standard elves at FNM. If it wasn't already obvious, it's just not quite there. It can ramp decently at a somewhat consistent rate, but closing out games in any sort of meaningful manner is a total crapshoot. Shaman life drains weren't just big enough most of the time, Collected Companies were usually really underwhelming, and Dwynen was an absolute magnet for targeted removal when you tried to close things out by that avenue. The whole thing also folds to every prominent and easy to cast field wipe out there like Drown in Sorrow or Anger of the Gods. There might be some more pieces coming in BFZ that will make this thing cohesive, but I'm personally gonna shelf it until then unless someone figures out something that everyone else is missing.

You could try splashing for White and running that Rally the Ancestors card to get the last bit of damage in by re-triggering the Shamans.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Megaannihilator 6 (Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices six permanents. Then put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

that many +1/+1 counters on this creature

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

that many +1/+1 counters on this creature

No, Irony has it right.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Went to a new LGS around 10 miles away from my usual place to play FNM and it was a completely different experience. Cool people to talk to, not many grognards, everyone at differing levels of play and experience, decent prize pool (£3 with all of top 8 and 2 randoms getting promos, with 4-3-2-2-2-2-1-1 in terms of boosters for top 8) and at a decent time so I could get there after work. Went Atarka Goblins with only 2 rabblemasters and a more wide approach and mainboard searing blood and went 3-1 and 5th overall. My only loss was to abzan control Match 1 due to some hilariously bad draws and the deck basically can never beat a siege rhino turn 4 unless you have a absurd hand.

My MVPs were Scouring Sands, 2 in the sideboard which absolutely destroyed the mirror which I played in the 4th match and elves in the 3rd. Being able to effectively wrath their board for 2 mana and get to scry when you are the beatdown was an absolute delight. Might play one more in there because I fear a lot of people are going to be playing those two decks until rotation happens.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Modern Bogles report at FNM. I brought 2 of my decks and lent Grixis Delver to another store regular so we could get 8 people to play.

Round 3: Naya Burn
A note about this guy: He played with MTGMintCard in Pro Tour Fate Reforged, when they unveiled the Naya burn deck, which has now become the standard version. So he knows his way around the deck.
Game 1: I keep a 2 Plains and do not draw a green source, so the only action I can do is play my Spiritdancers and watch them get Bolted before I can do anything to them. I side out the Spiritdancers for Leylines.
Game 2: Leyline in hand, drop a Bogle and start swinging in. By turn 4 he has to try Helixing his Guide to stay alive but I Path in response.
Game 3: I keep a hand with 2 Brushland but with a Spirit Link. Turn 2, he drops a Eidolon of the Great Revel, so I'm getting hit for 3 every time I play something. After that I'm thinking I should have mulled until I found a Leyline. I swing in with Ethereal Armor and Link turn 2. Turn 3 he swings in but leaves 2 mana up, so I know he has a Destructive Revelry in hand. By the time I knew I already screwed up. Turn 2 I decided to play the Brushland instead of a Plains found by Guide. I was thinking I should want green mana to add Rancor onto my guy to see if I could swing in for 9 and kill him that turn, when I should have played the Plains to keep my life total up. At this point I am at 7 life. I play 1 Ethereal Armor with the Plains, going down to 5. If I play another aura using the painland, I would go to down to 2 and he can Revelry and just kill me before I swing. So instead I swing with 3 auras, he destroys the Spirit Link, he gets down to 3, and wins. I should have added in the Nature's Claim so I could kill Eidolon or my own auras to gain life. I may have to go out and get Thickets because these Painlands killed me in this matchup. I go 2-1 and don't get the promo because another person went 2-0-1 playing Swan control with snow basics and Skred.

Is it better to Link your own creatures then? I know that it's effective against burn to Link their Eidolon in order to negate it completely. I don't think it would have improved your game given he had the Revelry, I'm just interested in hearing the reason for that decision, since I've never seen the matchup.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Bahra decided hes going to continue is current stream into a 24 hour.

He's playing Hoogland's U/W deck in the standard daily event coming up and doing Origins drafts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

No, Irony has it right.

No, Omni's is higher on the storm scale.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Tried out G/B standard elves at FNM. If it wasn't already obvious, it's just not quite there. It can ramp decently at a somewhat consistent rate, but closing out games in any sort of meaningful manner is a total crapshoot. Shaman life drains weren't just big enough most of the time, Collected Companies were usually really underwhelming, and Dwynen was an absolute magnet for targeted removal when you tried to close things out by that avenue. The whole thing also folds to every prominent and easy to cast field wipe out there like Drown in Sorrow or Anger of the Gods. There might be some more pieces coming in BFZ that will make this thing cohesive, but I'm personally gonna shelf it until then unless someone figures out something that everyone else is missing.

The tech on this I think is Grim Haruspex. If you run him + chord, you can basically just reload your hand any time they boardwipe. I havent gotten to playtest it much but it's probably the best answer the deck has.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 25, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
4/0 at my fnm with mardu dragons and probably got more packs than I would probably ever want. Couldn't find anyone to buy my packs so I busted them all.

Only card of note was chandra. whomp whomp

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

4/0 at my fnm with mardu dragons and probably got more packs than I would probably ever want. Couldn't find anyone to buy my packs so I busted them all.

Only card of note was chandra. whomp whomp

Does your store not buy them back for 3 bucks in store credit per pack?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

I played at a special fnm at quakecon with common ground games. Taking the packs were my only option that night.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Depending on where you live, no. I live in a small town and even the small city nearby has only 2 stores and neither one does credit.

For reference, I wanted to trade some cards for the FNM draft that costs $12. He pulled gideon, nissa, and chandra and said "This will get you a draft and 3 extra packs"

Heheheh no.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Myriad Truths posted:

Is it better to Link your own creatures then? I know that it's effective against burn to Link their Eidolon in order to negate it completely. I don't think it would have improved your game given he had the Revelry, I'm just interested in hearing the reason for that decision, since I've never seen the matchup.

I never even thought to Link the Eidolon, that should have been a pretty good idea. He would have had to waste his turn 3 destroying it instead of building his board. I knew that I could put the Link on a Phyrexian Obliterator to neuter it, but...wow. Dinger.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

I never even thought to Link the Eidolon, that should have been a pretty good idea. He would have had to waste his turn 3 destroying it instead of building his board. I knew that I could put the Link on a Phyrexian Obliterator to neuter it, but...wow. Dinger.

One of the best Twitch streams I ever watched was the game where Caleb Durward put Vampiric Link (black Spirit Link) on his opponent's turn 2 Eidolon and it gained him like 12 life because his opponent couldn't figure out that he should probably just kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Demonic Pact on SCGLive :allears:

• Locked thread