Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

OK I will just take a chance then. You don't have the kit lens? It's great lens for the money.

I'm sure it is but I'm mostly rocking the 23 and 35 primes which are too drat good also haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It is a great lens for the money, but whenever it's on my camera, I keep thinking I'd rather be using the primes. :shrug: I only ever use the kit out of necessity, not desire. If I need >35mm, I tend to prefer using the 35mm and then cropping. If I need <35mm, I stitch a panorama, or if I'm really stuck, only then will I reach for the kit. To that end, I plan on either a 10-24 or 14mm to replace that. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 19, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The main reason for using it would be on vacation, but I already have a RX100 for my touristy shots so I didn't bother to get it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just came back from a Mexico trip with the 18-55mm. Great lens but the variable aperture drives me nuts.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Would a mirrorless system be a good fit for a grandmother who isn't good enough with technology for a dslr, but needs something more than a point and shoot? She's an artist that does a lot of portraits and quick photos, so speed and user-friendliness are the main concerns (as well as good colors), and her canon sx160 is slow as poo poo. Or should i just find a better point and shoot? I've been out of the loop and still am not sure where mirrorless cameras fit in.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Mirrorless has all the same tech a dslr does, so if that's the holdup, then it wouldn't be inherently better. If anything they try and fit all the same stuff on fewer buttons. There's a couple specific mirrorless cameras that may be more up her alley though. If she learned photography on a circa 1980 slr, the fuji xt-1 has similar exterior dials and getting the basics won't be to intimidating for her, but it will set you back $1000 for just the body. More likely candidates are the xs100 or xt100, they're smaller fixed lens bodies. Specifically calling out fuji here because they have an 'older' form factor and have great in-camera jpegs so grandma won't have to set up a lightroom workflow to get the most out of it. Even still, a higher end p&s may be the correct answer, something like a sony rx100 or a ricoh GR.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Your grandma is better off with a RX100, G3x, or G16/17/18.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

If grandma wants a digital camera with the simplicity of film, you need to buy her a Leica Typ 240. You'd be a lovely grandson if you didn't.

Don't forget that your car title is as good as cash to the right people!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Nameless Dread posted:

Would a mirrorless system be a good fit for a grandmother who isn't good enough with technology for a dslr, but needs something more than a point and shoot? She's an artist that does a lot of portraits and quick photos, so speed and user-friendliness are the main concerns (as well as good colors), and her canon sx160 is slow as poo poo. Or should i just find a better point and shoot? I've been out of the loop and still am not sure where mirrorless cameras fit in.

The Sony NEX + kit lens might work; while it lacks the physical manual dials she may or may not be familiar with from film SLRs, the digital menus have lots of explanations/pictures to help beginners. My sister knows diddly bucket about cameras but has been really satisfied with the NEX I recommended her a couple years ago.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Nameless Dread posted:

The Panasonic GF7 has an iA button that puts everything into automatic mode but still has other controls if you want more options. That would be a good option, along with some of the newer high end point and shoots (RX100, etc.).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why would anyone recommend an XT-1 over an XT-10 to a grandma new to mirrorless, let alone like an a3000 or something

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Thanks, a lot of good options to sort through, i think mirrorless might be ok for her. She can handle an iphone ok, but any higher level of technology than that would just overwhelm her. Also i'm going to try to keep it below $600, sorry granny.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My suggestion would be a Panasonic GM-1

halwain
May 31, 2011
Is the Fujifilm X-t10 Kit with the 16-50mm lens any good? (or should i get the kit with the 18-55 mm lens?)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

halwain posted:

Is the Fujifilm X-t10 Kit with the 16-50mm lens any good? (or should i get the kit with the 18-55 mm lens?)

The 16-50 from what I understand is a "good but not great" lens. The XC vs XF thing is about the build of the lens and other factors such as speed, etc.

If you're just getting into this (no clue what your past is with cameras) it will suit you fine, but the XF is a better lens all around. Anywho .. both will probably suit you well.

Edit : Also the 16-50 does not have an aperture ring, it has to be done in the camera by some (probably) fiddly dial or mushy button.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 20, 2015

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm living abroad and my Sony A55 just broke and so I sent it and my lenses back to the States. I've been browsing in Panama City for a camera to go traveling with for the next month. I've also wanted to play around with mirrorless for awhile. I came across three cameras, Lumix G10, Lumix GF1, and Samsung NX11. All of them are $400. I'm thinking the GF1 is the best option of the three. Am I making the right choice or is there anything I am missing? Besides the fact that I'm getting into a completely different lens system... might buy an adaptor Lumix GF1 -> Sony if I like the camera enough when I'm back in the States.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
How bad is the Fuji X-E2 compared to the X-T1 (or X-T10 too, I suppose)? The X-E2 is like $500 on Keh, which is a pretty tempting price to buy into that system.

Fats fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 20, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Fats posted:

How bad is the Fuji X-E2 compared to the X-T1 (or X-T10 too, I suppose)? The X-E2 is like $500 on Keh, which is a pretty tempting price to buy into that system.

Image quality will be the same. X-T1 has the better EVF and a million control dials.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Panasonic GF1?!? That's a 6 year old camera. That's like 40 year old in mirrorless year.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Panasonic GF1?!? That's a 6 year old camera. That's like 40 year old in mirrorless year.

Welcome to Panama.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Reminds me of the time that I walked into a camera store in Texas that priced the NEX-6 at $1200.

This was just 4 months ago.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

huhu posted:

Welcome to Panama.

Wait thats not a typo? Haha can't you buy it on ebay US for 50 bux or something, and have ebay relay service ship it out of the country for you?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Wait thats not a typo? Haha can't you buy it on ebay US for 50 bux or something, and have ebay relay service ship it out of the country for you?

I start traveling in a week. Maybe none of those 3 cameras then. drat.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Radbot posted:

Why would anyone recommend an XT-1 over an XT-10 to a grandma new to mirrorless, let alone like an a3000 or something

Because I forgot about the xt10.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Doodarazumas posted:

Because I forgot about the xt10.

I get the Fuji flogging but m43 or Sony APS-C is probably going to be a better system for a beginner since they're comparable in quality and much cheaper.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://slickdeals.net/f/7993685-nikon-1-s2-mirrorless-14-2mp-digital-camera-with-11-27-5mm-lens-199-with-free-shipping-back-for-20-less?v=1

Nikon 1 S2 with 11-27.5mm lens for $199, or $229 with a waterproof dive housing. Could be fun if you're looking to get into mirrorless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's only a good deal if you want something waterproof.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's only a good deal if you want something waterproof.

That's still pretty fantastic. On my "someday" list is snagging an AW1, since AFAIK that's the only waterproof camera capable of shooting RAW. If I wanted it for diving I'd happily be buying that S2 with the housing for $230 right now, unfortunately I'm looking for something a little less clunky to beat on during motorcycle trips.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its not a deal because mirrorless cameras don't hold their values. Get an used NEX3 for 50 bux or something..

edit: lol the lowest NEX3 body I found on ebay was $38 shipped.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Waterproof housings for mirrorless cameras are also super cheap (compared to dslr housings which tend to be around $1000). I got one for around $200 off eBay for my a6000 and it works great. Even has a water intrusion detector. The only place that it loses ground against pro dslr housings is in the dome port, which is fixed and not super high-quality.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
That Nikon 1 waterproof housing got cheap two or three weeks ago. I definitely considered it. It's like $70. The review on bnh said it's pretty good except for some trouble seeing the lcd in bright light.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
I am going to pick up the TCL-x100 finally for my x100 which I'm still using nearly daily. I ended up selling my 5D and 28/35/50/85 and use the X100 for everything. The only time I wish I had something else is for head shots, which I do very rarely, or compressed full body shots that don't show so much surrounding environment.

The TCL looks great for 50mm equiv, but I would really love an 85 if possible. Does anyone have both the TCL and access to the Tcon 1.7? I know someone posted just the x100 with tcon, and while it had some pure black vignetting it didn't protrude into the frame that much, and I'm wondering if it would work alright with the TCL. I've seen some results of 2x Tcon 1.7s on other various cameras with good results around the net (albeit on smaller sensor cameras).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Anyone recommend a good bag/case for a GF5-sized body plus a small prime lens?

All the ones I come across have loads of padding. Great if I want to roll down a mountain, but not so sleek when walking through town.

Or just a long leather strap and let it hand naked?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

Anyone recommend a good bag/case for a GF5-sized body plus a small prime lens?

All the ones I come across have loads of padding. Great if I want to roll down a mountain, but not so sleek when walking through town.

Or just a long leather strap and let it hand naked?

I used to use a small canvas and leather manpurse type bag for my gf1+20mm. I can't remember the brand, some Japanese thing. I'll see if I can dig it out when I get home. It's just too small for my gx7 unfortunately, so I need to shop for a replacement.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
FYI Massdrop has the x-t1 with 18-55mm lens kit for $1054 new if you are interested.

You can also find the kit on jet.com for around the same price I think, so that is another option there.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Nondescript Van posted:

FYI Massdrop has the x-t1 with 18-55mm lens kit for $1054 new if you are interested.

You can also find the kit on jet.com for around the same price I think, so that is another option there.

I actually saw that earlier, it's probably cheap because it's going through grey market. Unless it's changed, you need to send in a copy of the receipt for your camera if you send it in to Fuji for warranty work; at least that's what I needed to do when I was getting my original X100 repaired for the sticky aperture blades.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Mest0r posted:

I actually saw that earlier, it's probably cheap because it's going through grey market. Unless it's changed, you need to send in a copy of the receipt for your camera if you send it in to Fuji for warranty work; at least that's what I needed to do when I was getting my original X100 repaired for the sticky aperture blades.

I sent in my old x-e1 that I bought used on amazon with a copy of my receipt and they repaired it no problem. they even fixed a button that clearly was damaged by the previous owner. I don't think that would be an issue for most people.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Nondescript Van posted:

I sent in my old x-e1 that I bought used on amazon with a copy of my receipt and they repaired it no problem. they even fixed a button that clearly was damaged by the previous owner. I don't think that would be an issue for most people.

I believe that Fuji of North America will repair any of their cameras no matter what region for an out of pocket cost (I believe the serial number tags the region), it's just that the one year warranty won't be honored. I was just speculating anyway, I'm not sure how this Massdrop deal is getting fulfilled.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Not sure if this is the best thread, but can anyone suggest a wide-angle E-mount lens for the Sony A6000? I just got the SEL35F18 a week a go as a prime (and unless my rental of the Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 changes my mind, I'll be hanging on to it), but I need something else for walking around the city. I still have the SELP1650 kit lens, but I'm starting to notice its many drawbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sigma makes a great 19mm, and the Sony 20mm isn't bad either. They both blow the 16-50 out of the water.

Don't get the Sony 16mm unless you can get it for cheaper than the $200 new 19mm.