Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Sex Hobbit posted:

Twisted Fiber Art's Arial Evolution in Paramour, with the black on the outside.

At $40 it's a bit overpriced if you ask me (given that I had to vinegar soak it to keep the black from getting everywhere), but it's mega soft.

I'm not a dyer, but from what I understand long gradients like that are a bitch to do well, so they tend to cost more than most. The same base from the same dyer but with an "easier" hand painted/semi-solid pattern would likely be more in the $20-$25 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I've noticed that gradients tend to be quite a bit more expensive than the others too. Could be to do with the extra time involved too, making the blank before the yarn can be dyed and then the extra care needed in dyeing it.

Small town craft co-ops. :love:

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 24, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Phishi posted:

I'm not a dyer, but from what I understand long gradients like that are a bitch to do well, so they tend to cost more than most. The same base from the same dyer but with an "easier" hand painted/semi-solid pattern would likely be more in the $20-$25 range.

As far as I know, the only way to do a long gradient is to unwind all the yarn and dye each part separately with a set of gradient colorpots. That or spin it that way in the first place.

Either way it's a pain in the rear end. Spinning is probably the easiest method, but basically out of reach unless the dyer gets their own mill.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Been job searching, and today in that strange realm of half-sleep, a revelation visited me. Most employers only look at a resume for about 25 seconds, right? So obviously, the key is to do something to get yourself noticed amongst the sea of hopefuls.

So obviously I should crochet a resume. Right?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gradients are a bitch to dye unless you pre-knit a sock blank, wind out mini hanks and paint it on a dyer's board (it's a warping board, usually PVC) or spin it. There's also handling considerations to minimize color transfer and bleed before you get the dye set. There might be a little bit of color bleed on gradients too if they include an intense red, black or blue, just because you almost have to oversaturate the fibers to get it to set to a vibrant hue. It's worth the work and the price, though; that shawl is absolutely stunning.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Crochet the resume then add in a tatted thank you note after your interview. Bonus points if you knit a sock during the interview.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Another neat way to gradient dye (for funsies, not professionally) is to wind your yarn into a ball (not a cake), drop it into a dyepot, and pull it out before the dye penetrates to the middle.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Another neat way to gradient dye (for funsies, not professionally) is to wind your yarn into a ball (not a cake), drop it into a dyepot, and pull it out before the dye penetrates to the middle.

I did this semi accidentally. I was loving around with dye and got impatient and just threw a ball of merino singles in the pot. I don't even really want to unwind it because its so pretty the way it is.

Also yes, every yarn I make has dog hair and me hair in it. This is super obvious to me not in real life, but in photos.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Every yarn I own has me hair and cat hair in it. I try to pick them all out when I destash but I'm sure I miss a lot. I just ignore the ones in my knitwear unless they're really obvious.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

hamjobs posted:

Gradients are a bitch to dye unless you pre-knit a sock blank, wind out mini hanks and paint it on a dyer's board (it's a warping board, usually PVC) or spin it. There's also handling considerations to minimize color transfer and bleed before you get the dye set. There might be a little bit of color bleed on gradients too if they include an intense red, black or blue, just because you almost have to oversaturate the fibers to get it to set to a vibrant hue. It's worth the work and the price, though; that shawl is absolutely stunning.

Best way I've found of dyeing gradients is to dye and set the first (lighter) color, then overdye with the second color with the mordant or whatever already in the bath. I did this for an employer with rope with great effect. This picture is of a later quick dip dye run we did, but the first one I coiled the rope onto a long cylinder and slowly immersed it in the bath. That way we ended up with a nice long gradient, which I could do with a much longer length if the rope wasn't so thick to begin with. It's still a pain to wind it onto the cylinder, obviously, but it's not as much of a pain as knitting a blank.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

MarsDragon posted:

As far as I know, the only way to do a long gradient is to unwind all the yarn and dye each part separately with a set of gradient colorpots. That or spin it that way in the first place.

Either way it's a pain in the rear end. Spinning is probably the easiest method, but basically out of reach unless the dyer gets their own mill.

I have a couple of pounds of Corrie/Merino cross I might try this on. Would it work if you hand-paint the roving and steam to set, I wonder? Then split the roving in half lengthwise, spin each half with the long color changes and ply?

I will try to do a trip report but it'll have to wait 'til I've unpacked - half the house is covered in unopened moving boxes, gah.

(I know, this probably should have gone in the spinning thread - this was posted pre-coffee).

Anyway, the shawl is stunning, Sex Hobbit. :swoon:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Well, I actually tried to dye myself a gradient roving yesterday, in fact.

It's 8 oz of Wensleydale I got from the Weaving Works in Seattle last year. What I did was I folded it in half (because the table didn't have the room for all of it...) then handpainted on the gradient. I gave each colour their own section, then had overlapping sections where I slowly faded one colour out and the next one in. To spin it I'll probably split it right where it folds and spin each half as a separate single. I could also spin it all as one single and n-ply to get a gradient that goes from dark to light and back again.

I bought and spun two gradient rovings awhile back, and did them in two different ways. One I didn't split at all and just spun it all and n-plied, one I split in half and spun each separately. They both came out with a good gradient, but the split one has some very noticeable barberpoling. I haven't really knit with the n-plied one yet, but it looks like it has less of that. So pick whichever you feel like.

While I was dyeing, I also kettle-dyed a tonal red:

That's 8 oz of Corridale. It came out lighter than I expected - I was throwing dye into the pot until it wouldn't accept any more, but there were still undyed spots. And I wanted darker reds, but the shop just didn't have any. Still, I think it came out okay. It's a lot easier to deal with undyed spots in roving than it is in yarn.

(this all should probably go in the spinning thread, shouldn't it...)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I made a Clapotis out of Madelinetosh Prairie, a laceweight merino single:

Clapotis Wrap by effika, on Flickr

Clapotis Wrap by effika, on Flickr

Ravelry link

So I discovered, upon editing that detail shot, that I've been twisting all the stitches. My fingers went on auto-pilot. I'll pretend it's on purpose to highlight the "knitting with spaghetti" look that a single gives. Yes, definitely that, and not that I got distracted and never bothered to look at what I was actually doing.

MarsDragon posted:

While I was dyeing, I also kettle-dyed a tonal red:

That's 8 oz of Corridale. It came out lighter than I expected - I was throwing dye into the pot until it wouldn't accept any more, but there were still undyed spots. And I wanted darker reds, but the shop just didn't have any. Still, I think it came out okay. It's a lot easier to deal with undyed spots in roving than it is in yarn.

(this all should probably go in the spinning thread, shouldn't it...)

I don't care-- I'm not in the spinning thread, and you posted pretty pictures of proto-yarn. :allears:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's totally fine, it looks good! Look up combination knitting; lots of people do it on purpose.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Hey, twisting stitches keeps them from getting sloppy when they're next to a dropped column. I did that on my own Clapotis, though it was on purpose and only the stitches next to ones that were dropped. :d:

Anne Whateley posted:

That's totally fine, it looks good! Look up combination knitting; lots of people do it on purpose.

Combination knitting doesn't actually twist the stitches, it just mounts purl stitches with the left leg in front. The right hand needle still gets inserted into the front of the stitch, just at a different angle.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Annie Modesitt's combination knitting (which is the most popular) does both halves, ktbl + clockwise purl, but combination knitting in general covers a lot of territory, including some people doing the same thing. As long as you're happy with the results, you can pretty much do whatever works for you.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hey I'll be in San Fransisco soon, what are some good yarn stores? Open on Saturday, near BART, and carrying fiber preferred.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
There's sadly not too many LYSs in the city any more (the one I used to work at just closed at the start of 2015). If you're willing to go to East Bay, A Verb for Keeping Warm is really good, and if I recall correctly carries fiber.

Probably the best LYS in the city proper is Imagiknit which has two big rooms full of yarn, but I vastly prefer Verb because the selection just seems better curated and easier to browse through. Imagiknit is in a great location though, so you could make an afternoon of yarn shopping, getting ice cream at Bi-rite Creamery, strolling Dolores Park, and then checking out the stores on Valencia.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Also grab some brunch at Kitchen Story before Imagiknit! Their millionaire bacon is the bomb. And bottomless mimosas. Then go to the Bi-Rite grocery store to buy some wine/beer (they also have select ice cream flavors there) before you hit Delores Park.

For fiber I know Imagiknit has some Malabrigo Nube, silk hankies, and other stuff but it's not a huge selection. Check out the local yarns though, and they also have Woolfolk and other cool yarns.

jomiel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 6, 2015

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Anyone going to stitches Midwest this weekend?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

marchantia posted:

Anyone going to stitches Midwest this weekend?

Can't cause of work, but I'll be at the Stephen & Steven shindig on Tuesday night.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I didn't manage to go to ImgKnit - I was in town for an interview, so I spent the day before studying, the day of either freaking out or exhausted, and the day after I met up with my parents and we hit A Verb For Keeping Warm instead. I'll check it out if I get the job or if this other lead ends up flying me out.

AVFKW was nice, very well-kept. The biggest problem was that I know I'm going to the Weaving Works in less than a month, the fiber selection of which blows it out of the water. I got some lovely silver alpaca and some 40% camel/40% merino/20% silk, though. I liked their naturally dyed yarns (they didn't have any naturally dyed fiber colors that appealed to me) and they seemed to have a very good selection of all-American yarns, which I appreciated and then didn't buy any because I can make my own and already have a huge box of yarn. I really need to either knit all this stuff I'm spinning or give it away.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I can't believe it's almost time to start knitting for Xmas. Anyone got any go-to patterns for gifts?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I've been making these in cowls and smaller for a scarf for my kid and also a headband to cover my ears while biking.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/squishy-soft-cowl-2

Using worsted or bulky they go really fast and I like the fabric it makes - they really are squishy.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Anyone here have any recommendations for yarn shops in the Denver area? :D

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

stab stabby posted:

I really like Fancy Tiger Crafts, but to be fair, it's the only one I've been to. I keep meaning to check out Zen Knitting in Parker but I haven't found the time for it yet.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hummingbirds posted:

I can't believe it's almost time to start knitting for Xmas. Anyone got any go-to patterns for gifts?

FIDDLEHEADS! One of my friends has knit several pairs and they're always well received.

Me, I usually grab a stitch dictionary and get scarfing. Made my mom an Irish Hiking Scarf a few years back that she still loves.

The Stephen & Steven thing was awesome, Stephen West is a gem and personally effusively approved of my Exploration Station WIP (it's neon so duh), Steven Be wore my friend's finished ES almost the whole time, and I spent way too goddamned much money on yarn.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I'm in the market for a toe-up sock where you can keep going as long as you have yarn (this might end up with knee socks I dunno) with some sort of pattern that would look good with color-changing yarn.

Basically I need a pattern for the big skein here:

Anyone have ideas?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I've never been to a Steven and Stephen thing but live really close to the StevenBe store in Minneapolis. I should do a class there but honestly it's pretty intimidating. That place is amazing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

I'm in the market for a toe-up sock where you can keep going as long as you have yarn (this might end up with knee socks I dunno) with some sort of pattern that would look good with color-changing yarn.

Basically I need a pattern for the big skein here:

Anyone have ideas?

Toe-up Jaywalkers? Starflowers? Swirl Socks should look pretty neat, too.

Anything toe-up, knit two-at-a-time, and from both ends of the skein to get it aaaaaallll. Nice looking yarn, too. A slip-stitch or chevron-y/feather-and-fan pattern should do it well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Leyburn would be good too, I've made several pairs of those.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Gotta admit, I'm a little worried about the floats on Leyburn. I'm sure it's fine in practice, it's just the link of thing that makes me nervous. I do like Swirl Socks, though. I was also considering a similar pattern called Anastasia, they've both got that spiral thing going on. The Jaywalkers are nice too, they'd look good with the long color changes.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

stab stabby posted:

I grew up in Parker, lived in Boulder and currently reside in Erie. I would say it depends on what kinds of yarn you like and the distance from Denver you're willing to travel.

Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins in Boulder has good staple yarns and are starting to get bits of other hand painted yarns in. Small sock yarn selection. Great needle and book selection. They are also great for spinners and weavers. Super nice and helpful staff. Always willing to help with knitting problems and screwups.

I personally love Loopy Ewe but they are an hour or so north of Denver in Fort Collins. They have a huge selection of fingering weight, good selection in other weights including staple yarns. They also have a fabric shop inside if you're also into sewing. Also super friendly staff.

I also like Colorful Yarns in Centennial -they have a good mix going on there. Small shop but decent selection.

I've been to Fancy Tiger Crafts a few times- I think they have less yarn selection than other places you could go. Feels equally split between fabric/sewing supplies and yarn/knitting supplies. I think they have some spinning stuff too. It felt a bit overpriced to me but they carry their own yarn line, staples like Cascade, and Quince & Co and The Fiber Co which is nice since they are the only local shop I've seen carry those brands.

I like The Lamb Shoppe which is also in Denver proper. They carry a good mix as well- some Debbie Bliss and Rowan which are brands I usually only find online.

I'd say google map the Denver area and search nearby for yarn and poke around some shop websites if you're unsure.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Peppercat posted:

I grew up in Parker, lived in Boulder and currently reside in Erie. I would say it depends on what kinds of yarn you like and the distance from Denver you're willing to travel.

Shuttles, Spindles and Skeins in Boulder has good staple yarns and are starting to get bits of other hand painted yarns in. Small sock yarn selection. Great needle and book selection. They are also great for spinners and weavers. Super nice and helpful staff. Always willing to help with knitting problems and screwups.

I personally love Loopy Ewe but they are an hour or so north of Denver in Fort Collins. They have a huge selection of fingering weight, good selection in other weights including staple yarns. They also have a fabric shop inside if you're also into sewing. Also super friendly staff.

I also like Colorful Yarns in Centennial -they have a good mix going on there. Small shop but decent selection.

I've been to Fancy Tiger Crafts a few times- I think they have less yarn selection than other places you could go. Feels equally split between fabric/sewing supplies and yarn/knitting supplies. I think they have some spinning stuff too. It felt a bit overpriced to me but they carry their own yarn line, staples like Cascade, and Quince & Co and The Fiber Co which is nice since they are the only local shop I've seen carry those brands.

I like The Lamb Shoppe which is also in Denver proper. They carry a good mix as well- some Debbie Bliss and Rowan which are brands I usually only find online.

I'd say google map the Denver area and search nearby for yarn and poke around some shop websites if you're unsure.

Aaah, awesome, thank you and suddenly cats so much! This might be dangerous... :)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

Gotta admit, I'm a little worried about the floats on Leyburn. I'm sure it's fine in practice, it's just the link of thing that makes me nervous. I do like Swirl Socks, though. I was also considering a similar pattern called Anastasia, they've both got that spiral thing going on. The Jaywalkers are nice too, they'd look good with the long color changes.

Floats are easy after you've done the first catch with a slipped stitch-- the concept will click. Anastasia should also work well-- lots of stitch movement.

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

While we're doing LYS recommendations, can someone recommend some good places in the DMV area?

Pixel Army
Jun 24, 2006
My finger is on the killswitch..
i've knit a couple socks now, and want to slap myself for not learning sooner. my only issue is when picking up stitches after shaping the heel. there is always a small hole between the body of the sock after picking up the slipped stitches. i follow the pattern to a T, so what am i missing?!

also a long shot, but any LYS in the middle GA area? my only options have been hobby lobby and michael's.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pixel Army posted:

i've knit a couple socks now, and want to slap myself for not learning sooner. my only issue is when picking up stitches after shaping the heel. there is always a small hole between the body of the sock after picking up the slipped stitches. i follow the pattern to a T, so what am i missing?!

also a long shot, but any LYS in the middle GA area? my only options have been hobby lobby and michael's.

Sock talk:

Fleegle! Fleegle not only has my favorite short row technique, she also figured out how to eliminate the holes at the heel corners.

Shop talk:

Google says there might be a Creative Yarns in Macon, GA.

I don't what the DMV area is, bibliophile, otherwise I'd search for you, too! :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
To look up local yarn stores, I totally understand if you want personal recommendations, but if you just want to know what exists nearby, a great first step is http://knitmap.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixel Army
Jun 24, 2006
My finger is on the killswitch..

effika posted:

Sock talk:

Fleegle! Fleegle not only has my favorite short row technique, she also figured out how to eliminate the holes at the heel corners.

Shop talk:

Google says there might be a Creative Yarns in Macon, GA.

I don't what the DMV area is, bibliophile, otherwise I'd search for you, too! :)
thank you on both accounts! i was picking up extra stitches in an attempt to hide the hole which didn't work AT ALL. i can't wait to try on my next pair!

Anne Whateley posted:

To look up local yarn stores, I totally understand if you want personal recommendations, but if you just want to know what exists nearby, a great first step is http://knitmap.com
i looked up macon and the only LYS closed on the 8th :( oh well! there's always etsy!