Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
kinda wished i backed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnL40CbuodU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

daft punk railroad posted:

don't forget the "stretch goals"

i like that phase, has a nice ring to it

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
What would be cool is if someone created a statistic on statpedia about yospos usage over time. Maybe the statistic on the amount of posts for this single thread over time. Almost everything is on time series that matters to anyone; it is a quite incredible concept indeed.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
slight iteration: http://msjup4.axshare.com/#p=businesspage (at least it's not a goatse). Not that the situation is any standard to compare oneself to, at least it is not that.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
honestly id prefer goatse

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cool biRd pics posted:

honestly id prefer goatse

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

What would be cool is if someone created a statistic on statpedia about yospos usage over time. Maybe the statistic on the amount of posts for this single thread over time. Almost everything is on time series that matters to anyone; it is a quite incredible concept indeed.

statpedia is bad and you should stop making it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

statpedia is bad and you should stop making it
its only use to me as far as i can tell is as a wolfram-alpha wrapper, and why in the gently caress would i or anyone else want that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

i'm the broken image that appears everytime a header appears

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

i'm the broken image that appears everytime a header appears
it's supposed to get the favicon but g.etfv.co hasn't done anything in a long time

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Okay! I have thought of this really cool website idea.

I was thinking about a political website last night.

Everyone would pledge their vote online and have various mechanisms to verify they will vote a certain way with the target market being youth.

Then entire congress can be thrown out by some random independent party. It would be hilarious.

Then since I made such a cool website everyone will elect me for president. :)

And when I say "various mechanisms" it is like I will come to your house and break your knee caps without the physical aspect involved.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
can I cast my vote for you to kill yourself?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
what is this? https://popcorntime.io/

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it seems like you're joking but statpedia seems to be an earnest endeavor so i don't know what to think

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Boxturret posted:

it seems like you're joking but statpedia seems to be an earnest endeavor so i don't know what to think

Thanks Boxturret, I really appreciate you saying that. Sometimes I feel like people are haters and expect more from me so I come up with ridiculousness to mask my sadness from everyone not liking my cause.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

it's a skin on a bittorrent client

click on the picture of game of thrones man or latest marvel comic movie and it starts streaming torrents much like any other decent client

i'm not sure why it exists because it doesn't serve ads as far as i know but it may do some shady stuff on the side?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ian take your lithium

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
ian you should pivot

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

ian you should pivot

a "super pivot" or just a regular one?

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

syscall girl posted:

it's a skin on a bittorrent client

click on the picture of game of thrones man or latest marvel comic movie and it starts streaming torrents much like any other decent client

i'm not sure why it exists because it doesn't serve ads as far as i know but it may do some shady stuff on the side?

anything with the word torrent automatically sounds shady

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
anyone read this article: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33639436

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

A big part of UX is having other cronies to bounce things off of for better iterations. People are busy with full time jobs, and would be willing to join, but want to get paid. Jawn, if I send you UX do you want to be my iteration adviser? I'll make iterations for you all day long.

no, despite my entry level knowledge of where you're currently failing, I am not an expert in this area that you should be consulting in this regard. i've had the good fortune to work with some awesome UX designers and it was genuinely humbling to watch them slide through problem spaces orthogonal to mine

can you even use the right terminology? you should be able to cast all of this in eric ries' lean startup terminology and save a good 50% of your typing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

i'm not sure why it exists

because people like stuff thats easy to use, i bet if you ask people that use it if they think its illegal they will probably answer "no idea"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Valeyard posted:

because people like stuff thats easy to use, i bet if you ask people that use it if they think its illegal they will probably answer "no idea"

syscall girl wasn't questioning the market proposition, they were questioning the creator's impetus to craft and distribute it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

syscall girl wasn't questioning the market proposition, they were questioning the creator's impetus to craft and distribute it

o oops, i see

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

o oops, i see

yeah i can think of a few reasons to make a slick front end for a torrent client, a grey hat who believes files must be free, easy to use for the technically challenged, just a student project or maybe something a little more sinister like hula ended up being

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

no, despite my entry level knowledge of where you're currently failing, I am not an expert in this area that you should be consulting in this regard. i've had the good fortune to work with some awesome UX designers and it was genuinely humbling to watch them slide through problem spaces orthogonal to mine

can you even use the right terminology? you should be able to cast all of this in eric ries' lean startup terminology and save a good 50% of your typing

i'll check it out. Thanks.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

omg that's amazing. I wonder how much of it depends on fiddling with the scope's scales and timing and how much is just straight sound plotting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ian McLean posted:

Everyone would pledge their vote online and have various mechanisms to verify they will vote a certain way with the target market being youth.

Then entire congress can be thrown out by some random independent party. It would be hilarious.

And when I say "various mechanisms" it is like I will come to your house and break your knee caps without the physical aspect involved.

1. subvert secret balloting, a privilege won by a hundred years of blood and iron
2. ???
3. profit!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ian McLean posted:

yes please destroy ballot secrecy, im sure nothing bad will come of this

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I came here to mention the HDHomerun DVR kickstarter by silicon dust wherein they promised a bunch of poo poo, ignore beta user feedback, and are most likely gonna release a terrible product people pledged a lot of money for in a couple months but it's w/e. I was reading a few pages back in the thread and got acquainted with the Derek Smart of Statistic's grating personality, noticed hes pushed a kickstarter three times so far without really adding anything to it, and thinks he knows better than the couple of people who actually offered some good feedback, so I'm gonna unload on this out of touch nerd who is trying to monetize reinventing multiple wheels

Ian McLean posted:

An entire thread lifetime of poor decisions.

Let me preface this by saying I don't usually post here, but I do lurk, and I don't think anyone is gonna chide me for roasting the lovely-Web App Guy. (there was a goatse a couple posts ago). Also, let me say that I am probably in your demographic of "people you desperately wish would give you their research for free". I don't want to divulge a bunch of personal information on myself but I guess I can cut it down to Upper Level University Student Who Uses R a lot.

All those people who said that "university research belongs to the university" are unequivocally true. Not only that, your rebuttal was.... what about undergrads? aughhh

Let me get to my main point though. I spent maybe 20-30 min pushing buttons on your convoluted, unintuitive interface in a vain attempt to just coax SOME usability out of it. Nope, try copy pasting something directly from excel into your lovely Create Table thing.

How come the "Select Source" dropdown.... shows other users previous searches? Is this intended behaviour? It's not even helpful most of the time its raw URLs. Do you intend to store every search ever queried just incase someone types a magic combination of words that tricks your thing into doing something useful?

I also find it hilarious that you've mentioned working at Wolfram but cannot get your thing to interface with it in a meaningful way other than directly sending it my query and then showing me exactly what I would see if I had went to W-A myself after watching it load for 10+ seconds. If do a search for something that returns nothing but a set, why can't I make a table right from the search screen w/ that data? I'm going to stop before I accidentally give you constructive feedback.

You would think one failed kickstarter would be enough. But it took you three to steal a measly $500 from people quite possibly dumber and more out of touch with academia than yourself. There is no emergent need for this to exist at all. Now, I know you're gonna rebut this with "Features cost money", "not done yet", "take your meds", etc etc but I would like to close with one final point. You have probably noticed that a lot of people in this thread have yelled at you for asking goons to offer suggestions on your Expensive Mess and have been told that nobody works for free; yet the entire basis of your little time waster project is to get other people to give you their work for free so you can wrap it in your lovely blue-n-white style sheet and eventually make money off of others work.

Theres already a wonderful (already successful) organization focused on making peer reviewed user submitted content accessible to the world, you are twelve years too late. The only other thing your web app offers beyond that is quite possibly the worst set of tools for visually representing data that I have ever seen. I don't get it. FFS Word 2003 produces more visually appealing graphs/tables/plots because they actually let you /change how they look/. I suggest that you put the entire thing on github or something and use it as resume fodder. It's glaringly obvious you've done this entire thing yourself. You use more extraneous commas on your about/feedback/sales/terms pages than I have in this entire vitriolic, spittle-covered hate post. Also: http://statpedia.com/index.php/buisness BUISNESS

Don't quit your day job. Really. In fact if you ask me you should get a kickstarter going for a new college degree and try something else. Just not statistics.

edit: holy moly hes been posting about this thing in this thread since '12 and its still no better.

edit again: im sorry, but this whole thing is like an onion. You worked as a "User Experience Designer", at Wolfram? My god, if this site is your best showing no wonder you only lasted that long.

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 26, 2015

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Incomplete Fish posted:

holy moly hes been posting about this thing in this thread since '12 and its still no better.

he has rejected or ignored every single piece of helpful advice ever given to him over all these long years. your post is good but it will fall on stony ground, just as all the others have.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Incomplete Fish posted:

I came here to mention the HDHomerun DVR kickstarter by silicon dust wherein they promised a bunch of poo poo, ignore beta user feedback, and are most likely gonna release a terrible product people pledged a lot of money for in a couple months but it's w/e. I was reading a few pages back in the thread and got acquainted with the Derek Smart of Statistic's grating personality, noticed hes pushed a kickstarter three times so far without really adding anything to it, and thinks he knows better than the couple of people who actually offered some good feedback, so I'm gonna unload on this out of touch nerd who is trying to monetize reinventing multiple wheels

Let me preface this by saying I don't usually post here, but I do lurk, and I don't think anyone is gonna chide me for roasting the lovely-Web App Guy. (there was a goatse a couple posts ago). Also, let me say that I am probably in your demographic of "people you desperately wish would give you their research for free". I don't want to divulge a bunch of personal information on myself but I guess I can cut it down to Upper Level University Student Who Uses R a lot.

All those people who said that "university research belongs to the university" are unequivocally true. Not only that, your rebuttal was.... what about undergrads? aughhh

Let me get to my main point though. I spent maybe 20-30 min pushing buttons on your convoluted, unintuitive interface in a vain attempt to just coax SOME usability out of it. Nope, try copy pasting something directly from excel into your lovely Create Table thing.

How come the "Select Source" dropdown.... shows other users previous searches? Is this intended behaviour? It's not even helpful most of the time its raw URLs. Do you intend to store every search ever queried just incase someone types a magic combination of words that tricks your thing into doing something useful?

I also find it hilarious that you've mentioned working at Wolfram but cannot get your thing to interface with it in a meaningful way other than directly sending it my query and then showing me exactly what I would see if I had went to W-A myself after watching it load for 10+ seconds. If do a search for something that returns nothing but a set, why can't I make a table right from the search screen w/ that data? I'm going to stop before I accidentally give you constructive feedback.

You would think one failed kickstarter would be enough. But it took you three to steal a measly $500 from people quite possibly dumber and more out of touch with academia than yourself. There is no emergent need for this to exist at all. Now, I know you're gonna rebut this with "Features cost money", "not done yet", "take your meds", etc etc but I would like to close with one final point. You have probably noticed that a lot of people in this thread have yelled at you for asking goons to offer suggestions on your Expensive Mess and have been told that nobody works for free; yet the entire basis of your little time waster project is to get other people to give you their work for free so you can wrap it in your lovely blue-n-white style sheet and eventually make money off of others work.

Theres already a wonderful (already successful) organization focused on making peer reviewed user submitted content accessible to the world, you are twelve years too late. The only other thing your web app offers beyond that is quite possibly the worst set of tools for visually representing data that I have ever seen. I don't get it. FFS Word 2003 produces more visually appealing graphs/tables/plots because they actually let you /change how they look/. I suggest that you put the entire thing on github or something and use it as resume fodder. It's glaringly obvious you've done this entire thing yourself. You use more extraneous commas on your about/feedback/sales/terms pages than I have in this entire vitriolic, spittle-covered hate post. Also: http://statpedia.com/index.php/buisness BUISNESS

Don't quit your day job. Really. In fact if you ask me you should get a kickstarter going for a new college degree and try something else. Just not statistics.

edit: holy moly hes been posting about this thing in this thread since '12 and its still no better.

edit again: im sorry, but this whole thing is like an onion. You worked as a "User Experience Designer", at Wolfram? My god, if this site is your best showing no wonder you only lasted that long.

lol

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

take your meds ian

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Incomplete Fish posted:

lurk more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

It's been like 9 years.

• Locked thread