Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Int will probably end up being the dump stat for everyone but maybe energy weapons focused characters since there's no low-Int dialogue.

It's got all the crafting and weapon mod perks, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The perks have different ranks you can invest in, making a total of 240 or something.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

SunAndSpring posted:

It's got all the crafting and weapon mod perks, though.

True. It might end up being Endurance instead.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Choosing special is the most stressful part of any video game.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I'll be very upset if I can't immediately dome my wife and child after finding them in a tearful cutscene in the Enclave Institute base or whatever.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

True. It might end up being Endurance instead.

Probably. All of it seems to be really passive stuff that increases your armor or rad resistance, which really doesn't matter when you can just equip heavy armor or a rad suit.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Fooz posted:

Choosing special is the most stressful part of any video game.

10 to luck and 1 to intelligence and distribute the rest whatever way you see fit.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Luck might not be a dump stat anymore

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bholder posted:

Luck might not be a dump stat anymore

It never was :argh:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

10 Luck in New Vegas means piles of money and constant headshotting of fools with Paciencia.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dunno if it was posted before but gameinformer wrote a lot about what they showed in QuakeCon

Todd Howard posted:

If we're going to do the dog, we're going to do this right

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Funky Valentine posted:

10 Luck in New Vegas means piles of money and constant headshotting of fools with Paciencia.

10 luck and energy weapons was loving broken. If you combine it with Finesse and boons hat, everything will melt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

Dunno if it was posted before but gameinformer wrote a lot about what they showed in QuakeCon

They could just... not do the dog, for once?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Dog racist

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

2house2fly posted:

what is wrong with you???

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Romancing companions is in the game and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I'm really hoping they do a reverse Amulet of Mara thing with the wedding ring. As long as you have it on, you're "spoken for" and romance is disabled, but the second you take it off everyone starts trying to bone you. If you don't want to spend the whole game getting hit on by bisexual cardboard you can just never take it off.

Although it might be funny if they had one homewrecker/Don Juan type who only hits on you if you have the ring on and loses interest if you take it off or tell them you're widowed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

In the real world nuclear missiles make the blast zone and surrounding area unlivable for about two weeks, depending on weather conditions.

Well you say "in the real world" but is there anything to suggest that areas outside of blast zones in the Fallout series aren't just populated with regular people who've grown up in a completely lawless and destabilized world? I guess it's possible that everybody crowded into vaults regardless of the actual danger, then spread out into the world once it was "all clear". But tribals survived as we see in Honest Hearts, and they were just hiding out in caves (which might have not even been necessary).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Strudel Man posted:

Skyrim didn't have romances. Those marriages were clearly for tax purposes.

"Excuse me, hi. My name is the Dragonborn. Want to marry me?"

"I guess so."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Vidiot posted:

Well you say "in the real world" but is there anything to suggest that areas outside of blast zones in the Fallout series aren't just populated with regular people who've grown up in a completely lawless and destabilized world? I guess it's possible that everybody crowded into vaults regardless of the actual danger, then spread out into the world once it was "all clear". But tribals survived as we see in Honest Hearts, and they were just hiding out in caves (which might have not even been necessary).

Zion National Park is about as far away from a populated area as you can get though (except Vegas but they already explained that most of those were shot down).

Even if all the bombs were Tsar Bombas it makes sense that they wouldn't feel the effects.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Duckbag posted:

I'm really hoping they do a reverse Amulet of Mara thing with the wedding ring. As long as you have it on, you're "spoken for" and romance is disabled, but the second you take it off everyone starts trying to bone you. If you don't want to spend the whole game getting hit on by bisexual cardboard you can just never take it off.

Although it might be funny if they had one homewrecker/Don Juan type who only hits on you if you have the ring on and loses interest if you take it off or tell them you're widowed.

You accidentally take your ring off with the smartglass app, dogmeat immediately starts humping your leg.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

Reposting this now that it's confirmed skills have been consolidated into perks. From what they've said, it sounds like you can actually get higher level perks from the get-go if you have your stats maxed out, so if you're at 10 Endurance after character creation, your first perk can be Solar-Powered. I imagine it's balanced by you having to buy more ranks in it to get the full effect, but it's still interesting that there are no level requirements on any of the perks.

Still, I actually kind of like this system because it does solve a few problems, such as how literally retarded characters could still hack computers or how uncharismatic autists could still have perfect skills of persuasion. Also, if I assume that the level cap is 50 and that you get perk points for finding bobbleheads, that means you can only get a third of all the perks in the game. I do think it'll make the early game really generic, as it takes a while for you to amass perks to flesh out your character, but it's a neat system and an actual positive thing unlike some of the other poo poo I've seen.

Totally called it. The perks are going to be bad, there is no way they will let low level characters have access to anything as cool as the high level perks from New Vegas, it would unbalance the game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This new system sounds cool in theory , let's hope Bethesda can make it hold up

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So this new system is just going to make me want to cheat a perfect 10 SPECIAL just so I can get the perks I want.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

will this finally be the fallout game where SPECIAL matters?
lol, SPECIAL will never matter

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

So this new system is just going to make me want to cheat a perfect 10 SPECIAL just so I can get the perks I want.

do it, it's your game :angel:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rutibex posted:

Totally called it. The perks are going to be bad, there is no way they will let low level characters have access to anything as cool as the high level perks from New Vegas, it would unbalance the game.

It's theoretically balanced by the fact that Skills are replaced by stacking Perks. So rather than pretending anything other than 25/50/75/100 really matters in Skills, you just buy a Perk 4 times. If you pick up....say, Solar Powered for your first Perk you aren't going to be as good at combat. The bonus you get for it being awesome is negated by how much harder combat will be for you. Also you have less SPECIAL points to go around, so putting one thing to 10 costs you a lot more in all the rest than previous games. Perks in other games work on the assumption you have a bunch of skill points to go around by the time you can pick them up. Most of the rest of the high level Perks work in that same dynamic, the rest....really aren't that powerful. Hack computers twice if you fail the first time! If you hit a body part in VATS, it gets easier to hit again!

There's pretty much only one that would be a major game fucker early on, and it's Explorer. Everything else comes down to the balance between getting better at your 'skill' or getting some new functionality entirely. In theory at least. Bethesda could still totally gently caress it up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's theoretically balanced by the fact that Skills are replaced by stacking Perks. So rather than pretending anything other than 25/50/75/100 really matters in Skills, you just buy a Perk 4 times. If you pick up....say, Solar Powered for your first Perk you aren't going to be as good at combat. The bonus you get for it being awesome is negated by how much harder combat will be for you. Also you have less SPECIAL points to go around, so putting one thing to 10 costs you a lot more in all the rest than previous games. Perks in other games work on the assumption you have a bunch of skill points to go around by the time you can pick them up. Most of the rest of the high level Perks work in that same dynamic, the rest....really aren't that powerful. Hack computers twice if you fail the first time! If you hit a body part in VATS, it gets easier to hit again!

There's pretty much only one that would be a major game fucker early on, and it's Explorer. Everything else comes down to the balance between getting better at your 'skill' or getting some new functionality entirely. In theory at least. Bethesda could still totally gently caress it up.

Yeah I can see how it would work, but it still sounds really unappealing. You are only getting a single perk per level, that means that you now have to choose between the almost mandatory "Guns Perk 1-5" and fun perks like "Animal Friend", "Cannibal", or "Confirmed Bachelor". With skill points you had the option of putting up essential skills, and maybe taking some of the more interesting perks rather than just the practical ones. With only one perk per level it is going to be very hard to not just take "Lockpicking Perk 3" or whatever, and that's boring.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

will this finally be the fallout game where SPECIAL matters?
lol, SPECIAL will never matter

Nope, it just gates all perks instead of just levels. Minor annoyance and probably not that much of a game changer in practice.

Although God help you if high SPECIAL makes even more Bioware characters jump on you like the last empty vault during the Apocalypse.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Watch the level cap be 20 (before DLC of course). Perk choices will be the only real hard choices in the game.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I can see how it would work, but it still sounds really unappealing. You are only getting a single perk per level, that means that you now have to choose between the almost mandatory "Guns Perk 1-5" and fun perks like "Animal Friend", "Cannibal", or "Confirmed Bachelor". With skill points you had the option of putting up essential skills, and maybe taking some of the more interesting perks rather than just the practical ones. With only one perk per level it is going to be very hard to not just take "Lockpicking Perk 3" or whatever, and that's boring.

I agree with this. I don't find the system as appealing as the the old ones. I always viewed perks as more of a thing to enhance certain aspects and skills were the core of the character.

Edit: All human companions being bisexual and romance-able is super skeezy and creepy. Way to outdo bioware there Bethesda.

Broose fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 26, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why would the cap be 20?

Also skills always sucked in the Fallout series, and it's better that they're gone

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Broose posted:

Watch the level cap be 20 (before DLC of course). Perk choices will be the only real hard choices in the game.

I agree with this. I don't find the system as appealing as the the old ones. I always viewed perks as more of a thing to enhance certain aspects and skills were the core of the character.

Edit: All human companions being bisexual and romance-able is super skeezy and creepy. Way to outdo bioware there Bethesda.

by outdo you mean do that same as.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope the characters don't just start hitting on you out of the blue because that would just make things really weird sometimes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I AM THE TRUE FALLOUT FAN

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That armour better be in the game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sparatuvs posted:

European Ghouls maybe?

That reminds me, you know that character is called "John Hancock" in the concept art and he's wearing John Hancock's red velvet coat that hangs in the State House, right? He has absolutely nothing to do with the British, he's probably just some ghoul that swiped it from a museum because it's a loving pimp velvet coat.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
There's already a precedent for quest-rewarded perks, like Ant Might/Ant Sight and the swappable perks you get for completing Old World Blues. Maybe they'll have more of that, plus maybe certain ones you could straight up buy/train, in addition to perks you get for leveling up.

A lot of perks just gave bonuses to skills to begin with, so I don't see the big deal cutting out the middle man.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Kermit posted:

A lot of perks just gave bonuses to skills to begin with, so I don't see the big deal cutting out the middle man.

They got rid of all those lame +skills perks in New Vegas and replaced them with good perks. No one liked those perks in Fallout 3. It looks like they are doubling down on it in Fallout 4, taking two steps backwards.

Though if you can buy perks/training that might make it alright.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the things that slightly annoys me in the series is that the first time you start, you can't know what SPECIAL you need for what perks until, at the very least, you get your first level and look at the list. It's not available to view until then. Assuming they keep the same way of presenting levels ups, I can see restarting when I get to look at the list and realize my Agi 5 luck 6 build can't qualify for both Better Criticals and Rapid Reload, or something, or that I really need Endurance for Chemist because withdrawal symptoms actually matter.

Basically having a Perk Checklist I could reference without having to use the internet would be cool.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

One of the things that slightly annoys me in the series is that the first time you start, you can't know what SPECIAL you need for what perks until, at the very least, you get your first level and look at the list. It's not available to view until then. Assuming they keep the same way of presenting levels ups, I can see restarting when I get to look at the list and realize my Agi 5 luck 6 build can't qualify for both Better Criticals and Rapid Reload, or something, or that I really need Endurance for Chemist because withdrawal symptoms actually matter.

Basically having a Perk Checklist I could reference without having to use the internet would be cool.
or showing you a list of what perks you qualify for with your current SPECIAL distribution

• Locked thread