Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
I've recently become the owner of two 12 week old kittens that were rescued from a less than ideal situation. When I've asked the previous owner what they were feeding them, I've gotten a range of answers from "Purina" to "Blue something."

I purchased Chicken Soup canned food and Instinct dry. The good news is they love both. The bad news, naturally, is that they're in some intestinal duress--soft poop that's borderline diarrhea. No vomiting and no change in behavior though.

I had every intention of mixing their food and gradually switching over, but getting a solid answer out of the former owner about food has been like pulling teeth.

Is this something they can ride out? I highly doubt I'm going to get an answer out of this person at this point, as this is my third day with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

JAF07 posted:

I've recently become the owner of two 12 week old kittens that were rescued from a less than ideal situation. When I've asked the previous owner what they were feeding them, I've gotten a range of answers from "Purina" to "Blue something."

I purchased Chicken Soup canned food and Instinct dry. The good news is they love both. The bad news, naturally, is that they're in some intestinal duress--soft poop that's borderline diarrhea. No vomiting and no change in behavior though.

I had every intention of mixing their food and gradually switching over, but getting a solid answer out of the former owner about food has been like pulling teeth.

Is this something they can ride out? I highly doubt I'm going to get an answer out of this person at this point, as this is my third day with them.

It would probably be worth grabbing a bag of Hills I/D and putting them on that to even their shits out. When my kitten handled a food change incredibly badly it got to the point where he wasn't used to ANY food anymore so shat liquid no matter what he ate, and then his butt got swollen and the whole thing was weird as hell and I should have gotten him on Hills I/D much sooner. It's basically the blandest of bland foods so should stop any diarrhea, and then once they've been on that for a while you can start slowly transferring them over to whatever you want to feed them long term.

Given their age I'd definitely take them to the vet and talk about I/D - I still have a nagging feeling that Hugo's early food problems have contributed to his smaller weight as an adult (4.5kg for a male ragdoll is really light)

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Tamarillo posted:

It would probably be worth grabbing a bag of Hills I/D and putting them on that to even their shits out. When my kitten handled a food change incredibly badly it got to the point where he wasn't used to ANY food anymore so shat liquid no matter what he ate, and then his butt got swollen and the whole thing was weird as hell and I should have gotten him on Hills I/D much sooner. It's basically the blandest of bland foods so should stop any diarrhea, and then once they've been on that for a while you can start slowly transferring them over to whatever you want to feed them long term.

Given their age I'd definitely take them to the vet and talk about I/D - I still have a nagging feeling that Hugo's early food problems have contributed to his smaller weight as an adult (4.5kg for a male ragdoll is really light)

Thanks, they have an appointment on Thursday to be spayed/get their shots, I'll bring it up then.

flyable
Feb 22, 2010
Hi everyone! I just adopted 3-month and 4-month old kittens (2) and currently have the food they were eating at the shelter (I think Iams maybe? It's not on the "good food" list). I'm planning on changing them over to wet food because I think it's better for them. I have a couple of questions:

1 - Should I mix wet in with dry, or feed a little bit of wet alongside the dry, increasing it daily, until I'm feeding all wet?

2 - Currently the bag of food I have says 1/4 cup/day for each kitten under 6 months. I put 1/4 cup in one bowl and one of the kittens ate ALL of it and seems like she could eat more if I gave it to her. She's a pudgy little thing, though. Should I give her more? Do kittens need more than normal? The other kitten didn't eat any, but I put a bowl for her up on the counter (she's already climbing up there) where piggy-kitten can't get it.

3 - I was at Petsmart and looked at Solid Gold and Innova but neither had kitten formulas. Should I look for something specifically kitten formulated, or will the ones that say "for cats in any stage of life" work? I'm not sure if kittens need additional nutrients or something.

Thanks!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

As far as I know the kitten formulas are just denser in calories since they're growing. You can try any of the above for switching to wet, in my experience we had to try a few different ways to get our kittens to try their new food. We currently serve half wet, half dry, and sprinkle the dry on top of their wet food. I think they think we are giving them treats when we do that because they don't really get excited about the wet unless it's topped with kibble.

Your kittens sound like my kittens. One is pudgy and doesn't give any fucks. She'll eat any treat or food you offer her as long as it's cat food. No interest in people food, but oh boy if it is for a cat, she is on top of it. The other one is extremely picky and will yell at us and cover his food if it is not prepared just. so. Of course, then the first kitty eats all his food for him. (This is why we started topping the wet food with dry food, because picky cat looooooves it that way.)

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

My cat has gotten fat. He's a big guy in general, and when we adopted we him in October he was about 13 pounds without being fat. We switched him off the food they were giving him in the shelter and I think that the new food we put him on (Taste of the Wild) is higher calorie. We reduced to him to two feedings of 1/4 cup a day (so 1/2 cup total) per the vets instructions, but he's weighing in at like 17 pounds now with no sign of losing weight. He has an unsightly paunch, and I really don't want him to be unhealthy. He's active and curious when we're home (although we're gone for about 10 hours a day at work), and my wife and I play with him in the morning before we go to work, when we come home, and before we go to bed for 10-15 minutes each every day, plus more on a typical weekend. Our apartment is very small, but we get him running around chasing various toys. We could be better about exercise altogether, though, especially during the week when we sometimes get home late and neglect to play with him.

I'm interested in switching him to wet food, but whenever we feed him wet food (tried Tiki and Solid Gold) he pukes. I'm sure he's eating too fast, but I've tried parceling it out and he still ends up puking. I don't have time to feed him over the course of an hour in the morning, so it might have to be kibble then. But after work I could slow roll him more and see how it goes. We're also buying him a special bowl to slow him down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Is wet food a good idea? Any particular brands that people have been successful with? And should I be exercising him more?

Giodo! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 21, 2015

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
2 - Currently the bag of food I have says 1/4 cup/day for each kitten under 6 months. I put 1/4 cup in one bowl and one of the kittens ate ALL of it and seems like she could eat more if I gave it to her.

When mine was a kitten the vet said feed her as much as she will eat. Check with your own vet what they say.

I feed her like this until she stopped growing at 7mths

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
http://newscenter.purina.com/Merrick

For anyone who's anti-Nestle or anti-Purina, you'll have to avoid Merrick, and Merrick's sub-brand things like Castor & Pollux and Whole Earth Farms. Supposedly nothing is changing on Merrick's end, but, you know, check your labels on upcoming bags for the next year.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
http://www.innovapet.com/

Procter & Gamble, upon acquiring some more pet foods, has discontinued 100% of Innova, all California Natural cat food, and several EVO formulas.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

gently caress that poo poo. Evo dry was like a magic bullet for getting sick cats to eat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Looks like they still have a couple dry Evo cat foods? Still, what the hell. Seems one of my favourite wet cat foods is gone now too-- forget which, I usually remember it by the label.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I misread that then. Since P&G acquired Evo, they've been slowly lowering the quality of the ingredients. They've also had so many recalls my local pet food shops refuse to carry it anymore.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AuntBuck posted:

I misread that then. Since P&G acquired Evo, they've been slowly lowering the quality of the ingredients. They've also had so many recalls my local pet food shops refuse to carry it anymore.

Between this and local stores slowly phasing out Solid Gold, its getting harder to find a good dry cat food anymore. :(

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I still swear by the Petcurean Go! dry stuff. If it's available in my podunk little country it should be pretty widely available elsewhere.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I see that all over the place. For dry, I feed Acana, and fortunately I seem to always find that easily enough too.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Dienes posted:

Between this and local stores slowly phasing out Solid Gold, its getting harder to find a good dry cat food anymore. :(
Why is it getting harder to find Solid Gold, anyway? So far it's the only food that one of my cats can eat for more than a few months without needing teeth extracted afterward. :(

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I've been giving my cat this food and a single bag will have lasted her 4 months a week from now. Seems to be doing the trick and she seems about as healthy as she can be on dry food here. Gained about a half pound since I adopted her 4 months ago and she's maintained the new weight of 6.4 pounds.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodlife-Adult-Chicken-Cat-Food-22-lbs/38026138

Not sure if anyone else has tried this brand or not.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So I moved from Chicago to Philadelphia and Oh my god. My cats prescription food is so much cheaper here. I was paying $58 for 7.7 lbs and here it $66 for 17.6 lbs, that makes it so much easier on our wallet. I still haven't been able to get the shredded/chunky wet food. It took me forever to even find a place to find the dry but I'm slowly getting him to eat the pattes. He is only eating a little at a time, right now rather than not eating it at all, but so far it's progress and better than no wet food at all.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Hey everyone!

Does anyone have problem with smelly cat food? I use orijen (chicken) regularly but it stinks up the place, since my cat is used to free eating it I leave a good amount of kibble for him (he does not get fat).

Is there a good food dispenser that would help this odor problem?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I would love to know too my cats prescription wet food smells like rear end.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Quick check on Simply Nourish for cats. Dry food :shrug: our little ones get wet food daily so this is more of a supplement. Please tell me it at least isn't just like chicken eyelids and corn? The first few ingredients are chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, rice, tomato pomace

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Any cat owners out there that can comment on 'Fussie cat' wet food? It doesn't appear to be in the list of brands in the OP.

I'm trying to get Jade to try wet food and had heard many people swear by that brand.

khy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 4, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
FYI for anyone who buys Orijen online, apparently there's counterfeit Orijen being sold in China and who knows what could be in it.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/counterfeit-orijen-in-china/

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

khy posted:

Any cat owners out there that can comment on 'Fussie cat' wet food? It doesn't appear to be in the list of brands in the OP.

I'm trying to get Jade to try wet food and had heard many people swear by that brand.

My group of 5 loved it for about 2 days and then decided that they were too good for it and refused to touch it after that.

So, YMMV I guess. I swear my cats are the most awful, pickiest things ever....they are brimming with cattitude :(

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can anyone recommend a soft or easy-chew dry dog food, preferably small breed?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 6, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I free feed my cats the same dry food all the time but I vary their wet food, mostly because I haven't stumbled across something all 3 of them are excited about. I feed them wet once a day.

The youngest is 10 and he's kind of a fatty. Not enough so the vet tells me he needs to lose weight, just he doesn't need to gain any more. He usually gets just whatever wet food the other 2 don't finish.

The next is 12 and she went from 9 lbs to 8 lbs over a year but she's been holding steady there for almost 2 years now. The vet wants me to make sure she doesn't lose any more weight.

Cat 3 is 16 has only been with me for about a year. He has been in early renal failure for a couple of years now. He wouldn't eat much of the prescription foods and was on the skinny side so we decided to go with foods he wants to eat more of and add water to increase his water intake. We had blood work done fairly recently and it's all been stable so we want to stick with that plan for now.

Recently Cat 3 has been scratching around his ears enough to cause sores. He's also been eating only Wellness Core Salmon, Whitefish and Herring for the same time, because that's what I had. He's had it occasionally before with no apparent problems. For now we just stuck a cone on him until he heals up and I'm going to get something else to feed him. Here's the ingredient list. Is there something in here that's a relatively common allergen I should avoid?

Salmon, Whitefish, Herring, Salmon Broth, Salmon Meal, Dried Ground Potatoes, Tuna, Natural Fish Flavor, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Cranberries, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Chicory Root Extract, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, d-Calcium Panthothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

His itchiness might be unrelated so I don't want to go overboard and assume it's a big deal food allergy. I'm going to get a different food anyway though.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The cats have been happy on EVO for a while but the local pet food store can't figure out why they can't get it anymore. Anyone know what's going on? Are they stopping it? Still making it but having problem distributing?
I was buying the large cans and I'd rather not have to switch to more expensive small cans of something else.

ETA: They were eating the cat + kitten and then the 95% chicken and turkey.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 10, 2015

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I've convinced my mother that it might be a good idea to change up her cat's dry food. Currently they're eating a mix of two types of Royal Canin (Senior Consult S1 and Dental). I've found a couple of local stores that stock Felidae for the same price.

I mentioned that in the broad categories on here, Royal Canin is just above the bottom, Felidae is in the middle, and that there's a category above them that is better. She asked me to get a list of the better brands so she can check out whether the local stores carry them and maybe move to one of them instead of Felidae.

The problem is that the OP still lists EVO in the top bracket, whereas the latest pages are talking about how badly quality has fallen under P&G, so apparently the OP is a bit out of date? Can anyone tell me if the other brands listed in the top bracket for dry cat food (particularly Wellness Core, Orijen and Nature's Variety Instinct) are still considered better than Felidae?

I'm also assuming that Felidae is still the same product even though it's been renamed 'Canidae for Cats' - anyone know if this is true?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Maera Sior posted:

The cats have been happy on EVO for a while but the local pet food store can't figure out why they can't get it anymore. Anyone know what's going on? Are they stopping it? Still making it but having problem distributing?
I was buying the large cans and I'd rather not have to switch to more expensive small cans of something else.

ETA: They were eating the cat + kitten and then the 95% chicken and turkey.

Innova was bought out and are closing down the lines to rebrand as something new. My cats love the basic Innova, so I've been trying to find something else.

12.5oz for 1.89 was a pretty good deal with Wellness being almost $3.00. BFF was recommended by the store guy, and that's 10oz for $1.50, and it seems good, although seems a bit fish heavy which everyone freaks out about.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

LorneReams posted:

Innova was bought out and are closing down the lines to rebrand as something new. My cats love the basic Innova, so I've been trying to find something else.

12.5oz for 1.89 was a pretty good deal with Wellness being almost $3.00. BFF was recommended by the store guy, and that's 10oz for $1.50, and it seems good, although seems a bit fish heavy which everyone freaks out about.
The local store somehow has a case of the beef in large cans (!) and is really confused as to what's going on. Calling EVO themselves was mostly useless: 20 minutes on hold and the guy thinks that they'll only be producing chicken/turkey and duck in the small cans. This matches their own website but not others, which frequently claim to have beef and venison also in small cans.

The local stores give 10% discount when you buy a case, but that doesn't make very much of a dent in most of the prices.

ETA: How does Canidae and Holistic Selected canned cat food stack up? Those are also available in large cans. I've seen some good prices for Wellness through Amazon, but some people have complained about dented cans.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 10, 2015

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

HazCat posted:

The problem is that the OP still lists EVO in the top bracket, whereas the latest pages are talking about how badly quality has fallen under P&G, so apparently the OP is a bit out of date? Can anyone tell me if the other brands listed in the top bracket for dry cat food (particularly Wellness Core, Orijen and Nature's Variety Instinct) are still considered better than Felidae?
I'm not sure what changes to EVO people are referring to other than that they discontinued some formulas. Unless their website is out of date and the food bags say something different, EVO Turkey & Chicken kibble is still the highest protein dry cat food on the market to my knowledge. Felidae/Canidae for Cats kibble doesn't even come close.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've decided that my dog needs to finally switch to a consistent, healthy brand of dog food. She's a 35 lb meaty squatty super energetic terrier/schnauzer/something rescue mix. Right now she's nearing 2 weeks post TPLO surgery and doing great and we figured this is a pretty good time to start slowly introducing a new food. I'm looking for something that will help her joints and bones, aid fat loss, and keep her on a steady healthy path and hopefully avoid anything like the recent CCL tear. She's a naturally muscular strong dog for her size and there's no reason we can't cater to that and get her in fantastic, happy shape for life. The plan is to switch foods, cut back on uneccesary treats, and get her a little more active on a daily basis. My issue now is actually figuring out what brands aren't complete garbage. I was very interested in Taste of the Wild but I've read quite a few stories about changed recipes, quality control among manufacturing plants, and so on. I've found a multitude of others that seem alright but I honestly have no idea how to find out anything about the actual quality of the product or company. I know this is a fairly vague request but if anyone has advice on certain foods or any information at all I would greatly appreciate it.

Also i'm curious about the recommended go to online store. Amazon is obvious since I've got Prime but I'm also liking what I hear about PetFlow.

edit #59294: if price doesn't really matter I feel like I should just go with Acana. Is that accurate?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 14, 2015

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Why the gently caress do ants like cat food so much? I've never seen a single ant in my house, except if my cat knocks stuff out of his food bowl during the day when I'm gone. Then I'll come home and there'll be a bunch of these bullshit tiny ants crawling around the spilled kibble. No spilled cat food, no ants. I think these fuckers live in my walls and mysteriously only show up if there's spilled cat food on the ground. I've never even seen them near human food.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I have a problem. I have one small and fat cat and one big and skinny cat.

Simon, the small fatty: Alex, big but thin:

They both weigh 12-13 lbs and are about 8-9 years old, but Alex is a significantly bigger cat. He has no real sagging gut at all, just a whole bunch of fur. Simon meanwhile is very round and it's totally full. They both used to be relatively skinny (but not underweight). I got them when they were about year old and Alex was over 10lbs then, but Simon used to be closer to 7 lbs and was like that for most of the time I had them. I used to leave dry food out all the time and they would eat at their leisure. Then Alex was sick and I took him to the vet who said he was severely dehydrated, and the vet said that he needed to be having wet food for the water in it because he obviously wasn't drinking enough. I started buying them various wet foods and I tried a whole bunch over the course of many months, but Alex is extremely picky and will turn his nose up at everything. Meanwhile Simon eats absolutely anything put in front of him, which is how we've lead to our problem.

I feed them Friskies wet food (there is only 3 flavours that Alex won't snub immediately), but while Alex will only nibble for about 30 seconds and then walk away only to come back 20-30 minutes later for another 30 second snack, Simon will eat his portion and then try to eat Alex's portion. Alex will get spooked away from the food by anything like if I start running the sink or if two cups clink against each other too loudly. Basically he'll be really excited about eating but then the second something breaks his attention he'll stop. Meanwhile even if I block Simon from the food and get him to walk away when Alex does, he will immediately go back to it when I've stopped paying attention and start eating again.

I've tried giving smaller portions more frequently. I tried not having the dry food out, since Alex will still eat the dry food (I can hear him eating it now), but he still would walk away from his wet food and not eat it all in one sitting. I've cut back on the amount of food I give in a day, but I think that just makes Simon hungrier so he's more likely to eat all the food available to him. Right now between the two of them they're only eating about a can a day, so the max Simon is getting is a can a day (he doesn't eat the dry food very much), but he is still putting on a lot of weight.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point to get Alex to eat the food he needs to be healthy while still helping Simon lose some drat weight.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Asiina posted:

So I have a problem. I have one small and fat cat and one big and skinny cat.

Simon, the small fatty: Alex, big but thin:

I'm not really sure what to do at this point to get Alex to eat the food he needs to be healthy while still helping Simon lose some drat weight.

Can you feed them in separate rooms? I have a similar situation, with an old skinny cat and a young fat cat. So now old skinny (Zoe) gets fed at night, and is kept in the bedroom, with food, water, and litterbox, where she can eat at her leisure. Young Fattie (Stanley-Anne) is locked out of the bedroom at night, and fed two small meals a day, in the laundry room (she roams the rest of the house), with her own litterbox and water as well, morning and night. Stan scarfs her small meals in one sitting, Zoe nibbles away all night. This also prevents Stan from stealing Zoe's food. It's working well, Zoe is gaining weight, and Stan is prevented from stealing food, and slowly slimming down.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 14, 2015

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately I don't have the room to keep them separated, plus they hate being separated both from each other and from me. I'm just in a one bedroom apartment with one litter in the bathroom so the only place I could feed them would be the bathroom or the bedroom, and keeping one but not the other locked in one of those rooms wouldn't work.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Use a wire dog crate.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
I adopted a 5 month old puppy and have been feeding Orijen Puppy. I had my first vet appointment today and the vet was talking about great, good, and poor foods. He said Orijen was in the good category but Science Diet was in the great category because unlike Orijen and other brands they do large studies of their diets on dogs' health, have scientists constantly quality testing ingredients, and know things that small producers don't (e.g. glucosamine is destroyed if it's baked into kibble and needs to be sprayed on afterwards instead, which is important to know for my dog's needs). He was also talking about the whole "by-product" thing and saying that it sounds bad, but it's the equivalent of "____ meal" in other foods. Goons, who do I believe? :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is your puppy on a prescription diet? I'm not certain why the vet is citing an arthritis/joint supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
She's not on a prescription diet, the vet just used that as an example because I said one of the reasons I went with Orijen was because it contained a fair amount of glucosamine/chondroitin. I'm starting early on joint supplements because she's a three-legged puppy. But it's not a huge deal if the food itself contains it or not I guess because I'll just use supplements if it doesn't.

Waffle Grid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 24, 2015