Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'd like to know was what got into those guys' heads that made it seem like a good idea to go to the supermarket for milk and eggs carrying a loaded loving AK-47. Walking around with a goddamned assault rifle in suburbia is just idiotic.
It's supposed to be to show you can trust the good guy with a gun to be safe and civil in a public place. You know, because they've gotta always be ready to pull their gun to stop the bad guy with the gun, but I shouldn't worry about anyone with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's supposed to be to show you can trust the good guy with a gun to be safe and civil in a public place. You know, because they've gotta always be ready to pull their gun to stop the bad guy with the gun, but I shouldn't worry about anyone with a gun.

Well, you shouldn't worry about them AKA the proper authorities with a gun. Bad Guys with guns are very very much to be feared. Which is why the Good Guys need more guns

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

shouldn't i be carrying a gun too? why am I relying on this jabroni

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

RareAcumen posted:

You know, it's funny how marijuana works when you're not a police officer...

Also, I really agree with this.

I feel bad to pick a nit but wouldn't this be 'the Arab community' in describing a racial community?

The tweet's sentiment/meaning is dead on, though.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Armani posted:

I feel bad to pick a nit but wouldn't this be 'the Arab community' in describing a racial community?

The tweet's sentiment/meaning is dead on, though.

This isn't an area people really apply formal logic thinking to. "Muslim" is treated as both a monolithic religion and monolithic ethnic group in the US.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

twistedmentat posted:

There's been some pretty funny images of these guys. I like this one
http://i.imgur.com/8hblkiF.jpg

Nice crocs and day glow green shirt. And lovely trigger discipline.

Hahaha, the camo Crocs... simply perfect.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Also, that Booker T promo, you can tell immediately after he says it, he regrets it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'd like to know was what got into those guys' heads that made it seem like a good idea to go to the supermarket for milk and eggs carrying a loaded loving AK-47. Walking around with a goddamned assault rifle in suburbia is just idiotic.

It's the least effort safest thing they could do, and act the pretend big man at the same time.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If you're looking for internal consistency and logic with racists you might have a tough time.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

MaxxBot posted:

He also said that the reason kids don't learn about art and music in school is because of liberals, even though literally everyone I have ever seen advocating cutting art and music education was a conservative.

If you'll pardon the pun, they don't learn about the right art in school.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone"guarding" the recruiters had a negligent discharge, at least it didn't kill anyone. This is also the main reason that all soldiers should not be armed. The amount of accidental deaths that would result would dwarf the ones from domestic terror attacks. I knew plenty of people during my time in the Army that should not ever be allowed to handle a weapon, while deployed or otherwise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bait and Swatch posted:

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone"guarding" the recruiters had a negligent discharge, at least it didn't kill anyone. This is also the main reason that all soldiers should not be armed. The amount of accidental deaths that would result would dwarf the ones from domestic terror attacks. I knew plenty of people during my time in the Army that should not ever be allowed to handle a weapon, while deployed or otherwise.

That's when you get into bullshit cult speak. "Well it's worth it if it prevents terror deaths! It isn't our fault if we arm everybody heavily and accidents go up, they were just doing guns wrong."

They seriously sound like a scary cult. If you do X and it doesn't work it isn't X's fault, you used X wrong. Obviously. If you had used it right it would have worked.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's when you get into bullshit cult speak. "Well it's worth it if it prevents terror deaths! It isn't our fault if we arm everybody heavily and accidents go up, they were just doing guns wrong."

They seriously sound like a scary cult. If you do X and it doesn't work it isn't X's fault, you used X wrong. Obviously. If you had used it right it would have worked.

Conservatism in a nutshell! After all, it Can Only Be Failed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

There's been some pretty funny images of these guys. I like this one
http://i.imgur.com/8hblkiF.jpg

Nice crocs and day glow green shirt. And lovely trigger discipline.

does

does that gun have all its sights removed?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It gets into the whole "if only someone was armed" mentality.

This latest mass shooting was in goddamn Tennessee. If there wasn't a single "good guy" with a gun there the problem is not gun control. They seem to prefer a reality where literally everyone is obligated to be armed at all times rather than one in which some people are simply prevented from being armed.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Doctor Butts posted:

does

does that gun have all its sights removed?

If I didn't know better I'd say it was an airsoft gun. But hell, if the terrorists are just doing drive-by shootings, his return fire should be just as inaccurate!

Because gently caress bystanders!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Hahaha, the camo Crocs... simply perfect.

Hey, no mocking the Tacticrocs!

...they mock themselves sufficiently.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OAquinas posted:

Hey, no mocking the Tacticrocs!

...they mock themselves sufficiently.

Every element of that dude is a conscious decision on his part and that is the most amazing thing

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I was involved in an active shooter incident I guess I would prefer there be a bad rear end good guy with a gun rather than there be no good guy with a gun. I think the problem is active shooter incidents are pretty rare, and there isn't usually a guy with a gun around because 99.99% you don't need to bring your Glock to the mall with you.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

If I was involved in an active shooter incident I guess I would prefer there be a bad rear end good guy with a gun rather than there be no good guy with a gun. I think the problem is active shooter incidents are pretty rare, and there isn't usually a guy with a gun around because 99.99% you don't need to bring your Glock to the mall with you.

If someone starts opening fire in a dark movie theater, how do you know the person drawing their weapon right next to you is your heroic savior and not a second attacker?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Sure who wouldn't prefer the person most equipped and trained to prevent loss of life to be present at every incident like this. But the fact our laws seems to empower the shooter in the vain hope some other person with a gun will also be there is madness.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It seems to me that the logical endpoint of this open carry thing is public places erupting into crossfire situations when one of the open carriers starts acting too suspicious.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

If someone starts opening fire in a dark movie theater, how do you know the person drawing their weapon right next to you is your heroic savior and not a second attacker?

I don't. I am already running out the door, or more likely curled in a pathetic ball on the floor calling for my mommy. Good guy with a gun or no Good Guy with a gun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

How do you know that the person right next to you drawing their gun actually knows how to properly fire the damned thing and won't hit bystanders instead of the gunman? How do we know he actually knows how to handle that kind of stressful situation? What if a shooter starts having second thoughts but then panics when more guns start coming out and opens fire? What if suddenly 500 guys open carrying realize they can use their guns to start threatening and bullying people?

There are just so many of those questions you can ask that the NRA just answers with "MOAR GUNNZ!!!!!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The. American flag Confederate flag tattoo on their arm/gun/hat/shirt.

Anyone else?

Shoot.

To.

Kill.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How do you know that the person right next to you drawing their gun actually knows how to properly fire the damned thing and won't hit bystanders instead of the gunman? How do we know he actually knows how to handle that kind of stressful situation? What if a shooter starts having second thoughts but then panics when more guns start coming out and opens fire? What if suddenly 500 guys open carrying realize they can use their guns to start threatening and bullying people?

There are just so many of those questions you can ask that the NRA just answers with "MOAR GUNNZ!!!!!"

Yeah the 'good guy with a gun' scenario quickly falls apart when there's more than one of them and they don't know each other.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah the 'good guy with a gun' scenario quickly falls apart when there's more than one of them and they don't know each other.

I believe, within the past few years, an off-duty cop was killed by on-duty cops because he pulled his concealed weapon during a robbery. Mobile-posting; I'll link the story when I get home.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Every element of that dude is a conscious decision on his part and that is the most amazing thing

Most of the other guys that were posted in the FB group I got that from literally looked like the private contractors you'd see in the mid 2000s in Iraq. You know the guys, they'd be heavy set, with a brush cut, wrap around shades and a goatee or mustache. These "protectors" looked like they were cosplaying actual soldiers, wearing desert camo tact vests with a matching ar-15 with a ton of bells and whistles on it. Thing is, these guys would never pass the evaluation for joining the Army because they would probably respond to "why do you want to join?" with "I wanna kill me some sand niggers!".

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been at least one case of these guys getting over zealous and pointing their toys at some poor Indian guy buying a slushee at the 7-11 next door.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Even when they do know each other, friendly fire is a thing. A gunfight is a lot more chaotic and frightening than a lot of these dipshits would probably expect.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

that's why you bring your own gun to feel your safest

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Even when they do know each other, friendly fire is a thing. A gunfight is a lot more chaotic and frightening than a lot of these dipshits would probably expect.

Especially in these dark theater scenarios with a hundred screaming, frightened bystanders running around.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

site posted:

Especially in these dark theater scenarios with a hundred screaming, frightened bystanders running around.

Weirdly, that actually makes it easier.

kidding

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I believe, within the past few years, an off-duty cop was killed by on-duty cops because he pulled his concealed weapon during a robbery. Mobile-posting; I'll link the story when I get home.

Something similar also came up during the Giffords shooting, if I remember correctly. There actually was somebody carrying a gun at the scene, but he decided not to use it because he wasn't sure who the actual shooter was. It was a good call, too, because the person he'd have used it on had he decided to shoot was just a bystander who'd managed to wrestle the gun away from the actual shooter.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I used to work in a pharmacy and get this all the time.

"Don't you wish you had a gun back there, what if you get robbed?"

The answer is threefold:

1) There's nothing in that pharmacy that is worth me or another person being shot
2) By the time I know they've got a gun, it's because it's in my face. What to you think is going to happen if I go for a gun at that point?
3) A loaded gun in the pharmacy, easily accessed by anybody in an instant, is far far far more likely to end up killing me on accident than any robber in anger.
3a) If it isn't loaded and accessible in an instant then it's useless for defense

I don't know why these people refuse to play the situations out in their head. Do they think it's like an action movie where the robber will stare goggle-eyed as you grab your gun to fend them off even if they have their weapon in your face? Do they think a handful of oxy's is worth a human life, mine or theirs?

Of course what it comes down to is that they believe I should have it ready because obviously any time a black person walked in they're going to rob me so GO GRAB THAT GUN AND HAVE IT IN MY HANDS THE ENTIRE TRANSACTION. Nevermind that there is zero ethnic trends as to who is going to rob a pharmacy.

FWIW I worked in Indiana, which is always in the top 3 for pharmacies getting robbed. Happens all the time here

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Epic High Five posted:

FWIW I worked in Indiana, which is always in the top 3 for pharmacies getting robbed. Happens all the time here

Well where else would the meth labs get their raw ingredients? (Seriously, as if that state didn't have enough problems, of course we need looser gun laws so the tweeks can be armed. :rolleyes:)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

Well where else would the meth labs get their raw ingredients? (Seriously, as if that state didn't have enough problems, of course we need looser gun laws so the tweeks can be armed. :rolleyes:)

If anybody ever describes Indiana as "two cities and a state-sized meth lab" ain't kidding. It's ridiculous out here

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You're forgetting about the occasional weed farms people try to set up by uprooting the middle of a corn field and planting their crop there. Literally trying to hide a grow operation in the agricultural equivalent of a hollowed out bible :psyduck:. I'm so glad I managed to move to the coast.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Obdicut posted:

This isn't an area people really apply formal logic thinking to. "Muslim" is treated as both a monolithic religion and monolithic ethnic group in the US.

Case in point: Michael Ian Black (the comedian) made a tweet about all the white male mass murderers there have been, and included the boston bombers in the list. He got angry replies from conservatives that they weren't white, they were Muslim.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Epic High Five posted:

If anybody ever describes Indiana as "two cities and a state-sized meth lab" ain't kidding. It's ridiculous out here

When the hell did Indiana get another city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

When the hell did Indiana get another city?

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 9, 2021