Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Does declaring statue in Restraint of Appeals do anything besides what it says? I'm playing as the knights, could it gently caress any faction specific stuff? Is it stupid to do it? Still haven't gotten a single cardinal and the OPMed Pope hates me, since I used him to get land in Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Pellisworth posted:

I'd recommend just diving in, maybe try Ironman and go for some of the easier achievements. Portugal is a relaxed start.

The sheer size and depth of the interface is pretty daunting. Need to know what to focus on while learning the game.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do note however that he's only semi-literate, so there might be a disconnect between what he says and what you see.

I just decided to take a watch of some of his videos, because I tend to like LPs. I will have to say, he is not an expert player, based on the Sweden game of his that I am watching.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
he's very good at certain parts of the game but gets really hung up on small details while sometimes completely misunderstanding huge things. it is a bit bewildering when someone who practically plays EU4 as a full time job only has a very shaky understanding of big chunks of the game, but I guess that's not an uncommon thing on youtube.

MikeC posted:

The sheer size and depth of the interface is pretty daunting. Need to know what to focus on while learning the game.

I was serious when I said cheat. Play a small nation, get into huge debt, build up huge aggressive expansion and have half the world declaring war on you, be massively overextended- it'll help you learn the core functions of the game (and what happens when things go wrong) a lot faster than plodding shyly along as an easy nation will.

after you've learned what the buttons do then try Portugal or Ottomans

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

Does declaring statue in Restraint of Appeals do anything besides what it says? I'm playing as the knights, could it gently caress any faction specific stuff? Is it stupid to do it? Still haven't gotten a single cardinal and the OPMed Pope hates me, since I used him to get land in Italy.

You get a relations hit with (neighboring?) Catholic nations but that will decay in a few decades. As far as I know there aren't any hidden negatives or events tied to it, you just give up generating Pope points in exchange for the permanent modifier benefits.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Pellisworth posted:

You get a relations hit with (neighboring?) Catholic nations but that will decay in a few decades. As far as I know there aren't any hidden negatives or events tied to it, you just give up generating Pope points in exchange for the permanent modifier benefits.

Ah, thanks.

Any tips for military ideas? Any one that is total crap or is def/off and quant/qual both decent? Is aristocratic just crap?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

Ah, thanks.

Any tips for military ideas? Any one that is total crap or is def/off and quant/qual both decent? Is aristocratic just crap?

This question gets asked a lot and I think the consensus is Offensive, Defensive, Quality, and Quantity are all good and pretty well-balanced with each other, which of those are better will depend on your situation. Aristocratic is kinda meh, it does give you +1 Diplomat and +1 Leader which is really useful since the loss of unique buildings (Embassy etc) in CS. However, in the beta patch you get +1 Diplomat at King rank and +1 Leader at Emperor, so it will be even less attractive. Aristocratic has some good "quality of life" and point-savings stuff, but in terms of actual military strength it's not great.

Naval has always been lovely because naval battles boil down to who has the most heavies (+galleys in inland waters) to smash together. There's one or two big boat battles per war and that's it, not worth the opportunity cost of investing in an entire idea line to have an edge there when building more boats and having them in the right place does the trick.

So anything but Naval or Aristocratic, yeah.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Sistergodiva posted:

Ah, thanks.

i haven't been playing much so don't take my word for it, but here's how i understand it:
Aristocratic: very situational. I've heard some people use it during Poland runs to good effect, but I think that was before CS so I don't know how it measures up now.
Naval: don't bother
Quantity: especially good if you're a small power which would have limited manpower/resources otherwise
Quality: maybe better for larger powers that don't need to worry about manpower restraints so much, and can focus on making their soldiers better individually? IDK.
and Offensive/Defensive comes down to personal playstyle in wars.

e: oh yeah, remember that different idea groups also unlock different policies! even though Spain may not have a huge manpower problem relatively speaking, going Quantity and Exploration unlocks a policy that gives an extra colonist--useful for playing the Spanish colonial game.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 26, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Quantity is exceptionally good if you need to be punching above your military weight classes - i.e. a small nation consolidating power wherever. It helps when you don't have a lot of manpower to work with and need to be fighting wars as constantly as possible.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Pellisworth posted:

This question gets asked a lot and I think the consensus is Offensive, Defensive, Quality, and Quantity are all good and pretty well-balanced with each other, which of those are better will depend on your situation. Aristocratic is kinda meh, it does give you +1 Diplomat and +1 Leader which is really useful since the loss of unique buildings (Embassy etc) in CS. However, in the beta patch you get +1 Diplomat at King rank and +1 Leader at Emperor, so it will be even less attractive. Aristocratic has some good "quality of life" and point-savings stuff, but in terms of actual military strength it's not great.

Naval has always been lovely because naval battles boil down to who has the most heavies (+galleys in inland waters) to smash together. There's one or two big boat battles per war and that's it, not worth the opportunity cost of investing in an entire idea line to have an edge there when building more boats and having them in the right place does the trick.

So anything but Naval or Aristocratic, yeah.

I went with defensive, since the policy to make tradesteering better is going to be nice for me. Also, I like the though of people just smashing their heads against my castles til' they give up.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've been thinking of writing a basic how-to for EU4 for my friends for a while now. Since we have people in here asking for something like that, I figure it's probably as good as time as any. Aside from trade and combat, what should I cover?

effsea
Apr 1, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

This is hilariously amazing. Why do you want to be a republic?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

you can take Plutocratic ideas and ultimately get culture acceptance threshold nominally below 0%

Gort posted:

Presumably there's a hard limit to how low it can get though.
No hard cap:

Cultural acceptance map-mode:

-15% Ottoman Idea 1: Millets
-50% Humanist Idea 5: Cultural Ties
-10% Humanist−Diplomatic: Multilingual Diplomats
-10% Humanist−Plutocratic: Cultural Recognition Act
-10% Trading in Silk
-10% Enlightened Despotism
————————————————————
-105% Accepted Culture Threshold

20% + (-1.05 * 20%) = -1.00% percent [sic] to become accepted

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good idea order/strategy for Milan?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is Ironman

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What map mods are those?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
My "This is Persia" game. Admin Efficiency means that I was able to go from just the Persia region and Iraq to owning the Entire eastern Mediterranean in about 120 years.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koramei posted:

What map mods are those?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317529391&searchtext=flat

I'm playing Scotland. Took the rest of Ireland from England, stole the Isles and Iceland from Norway for funsies, and just finished annexing Northumbria. Unfortunately I have 40 something loans for a total debt of over 1k ducats. My interest is just barely lower than my income. Would I be better off paying thsee things or just like, eating the bankruptcy modifier for 20 years or whatever. Because I probably won't be able to do poo poo for the next 50.

These loving pretend rebels are going to give me a 5/5/5 general but my vassal's 1-stack won't stop unsieging stuff. gently caress OFF MEATH

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Larry Parrish posted:

These loving pretend rebels are going to give me a 5/5/5 general but my vassal's 1-stack won't stop unsieging stuff. gently caress OFF MEATH

If you go into your vassal management screen I think you can click Enable Scuttage or something that stops them from supporting you with troops. Or does that only work while at war and not against rebels?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone Incognito posted:

If you go into your vassal management screen I think you can click Enable Scuttage or something that stops them from supporting you with troops. Or does that only work while at war and not against rebels?

Only with war. Eventually the rebels sieged my capital and the vassal couldn't siege it back, finally ending the rebellion. Good god.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

effsea posted:

No hard cap:

Cultural acceptance map-mode:

-15% Ottoman Idea 1: Millets
-50% Humanist Idea 5: Cultural Ties
-10% Humanist−Diplomatic: Multilingual Diplomats
-10% Humanist−Plutocratic: Cultural Recognition Act
-10% Trading in Silk
-10% Enlightened Despotism
————————————————————
-105% Accepted Culture Threshold

20% + (-1.05 * 20%) = -1.00% percent [sic] to become accepted

Jesus Christ Allah akbar.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Larry Parrish posted:

This is Ironman

Happens all the time. Austria gets into a couple of minor wars, Ottomans attack Genoa first (because of the Conquer Kaffa mission), then gets rolled by Austria's allies.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

Happens all the time. Austria gets into a couple of minor wars, Ottomans attack Genoa first (because of the Conquer Kaffa mission), then gets rolled by Austria's allies.

It was more the still-living Byzantium and balling Circassia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

You really should be able to declare war for non-HRE territory, resulting in the emperor not getting called in to defend HRE members' far off possessions. Especially in the case of the Italians, who are on their way out of the HRE anyway. You could make taking HRE territory impossible with that war goal, or make it so it gave massive amounts of AE sure to tick off pretty much everyone, if you wanted to get around the issue of using it to avoid the emperor while still taking his territory.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The AI seems really dumb about Imperial intervention in general too. Sometimes I wonder if they're counting the Emperor's strength, but excluding the strength of all of the Emperor's allies.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I feel like this event should probably check to make sure the monastery being an old and fine lineage actually makes any sense whatsoever:

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't done a Milan game myself, but a friend of mine has, and he says that Influence first is essential due to the AE reduction idea.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bishop Rodan posted:

I haven't done a Milan game myself, but a friend of mine has, and he says that Influence first is essential due to the AE reduction idea.

Makes sense.

How easy is it to raise Republican Tradition while in a Republican Dictatorship? I just became an Ambrosian Republic and my first leader is a 6/4/6 eighteen year old. It would be cool to have him rule in a Republican Dictatorship for a while, then flip back to Ambrosian Republic when he dies, which apparently happens if you have over 50 RT upon leader death. Is this realistic?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

Makes sense.

How easy is it to raise Republican Tradition while in a Republican Dictatorship? I just became an Ambrosian Republic and my first leader is a 6/4/6 eighteen year old. It would be cool to have him rule in a Republican Dictatorship for a while, then flip back to Ambrosian Republic when he dies, which apparently happens if you have over 50 RT upon leader death. Is this realistic?

Have fun with being an Ambrosian Republic for about 30 years

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Economic is great for Milan due to their pre-existing dev discount. The cost will be so low for development it will feel like cheating. That is the only real strategy suggestion I have though.

Want a fun Milan game that isn't possible in vanilla? Release Parma as a vassal and go down to one province. Open the console, change your gov to a republican dictatorship ('republics.3') and then boost your stab to 3 ('stability'), then your republican tradition ('republics.1' 3 times, take the second decision each time), then kill your ruler ('kill'). Tag switch over to Austria ('tag HAB') and offer Milan to become a free city. One day after sending the offer, switch back to Milan ('tag MLO') and accept it. Stay as a free city.

Milan has one of the best NIs for development, and is in a far more interesting position than Tuscany to play in that way. It is a very interesting game.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bishop Rodan posted:

Another Person posted:

Economic is great for Milan due to their pre-existing dev discount. The cost will be so low for development it will feel like cheating. That is the only real strategy suggestion I have though.

Want a fun Milan game that isn't possible in vanilla? Release Parma as a vassal and go down to one province. Open the console, change your gov to a republican dictatorship ('republics.3') and then boost your stab to 3 ('stability'), then your republican tradition ('republics.1' 3 times, take the second decision each time), then kill your ruler ('kill'). Tag switch over to Austria ('tag HAB') and offer Milan to become a free city. One day after sending the offer, switch back to Milan ('tag MLO') and accept it. Stay as a free city.

Milan has one of the best NIs for development, and is in a far more interesting position than Tuscany to play in that way. It is a very interesting game.

Both good bits of advice.

Influence gets you a bunch of good stuff but the -20% AE is really huge in the middle of Europe where taking even a couple of rich Italian provinces will get coalitions forming. As Milan you could conceivably beat up Venice and the Papal State in order to keep northern Italy in the HRE, you would want to ally Austria (hopefully they start rivaled to Venice) and maybe another decent size power like Hungary. To keep Italy from leaving the HRE you'll need to conquer, core and add to the HRE all of the Italian culture provinces in Venice and The Papal State with the important exception of Venice itself by 1490. Doable but tricky.

I would probably take Admin early on and then Economic later but you'll want to do a lot of development for sure.
Influence, then later Diplomatic or maybe Trade/Maritime
Any of the four standard Offensive/Defensive/Quantity/Quality would be good

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Westernised as Mutapa by 1548. Guess its time to look to India, since the European colonisers don't seem very interested in Africa.

Granted, I did kick Portugal out of South Africa but they haven't even taken the Gold Cost area or gone near Congo. They seem more interested in the Caribbean. Castile is in Brazil and England is in North America.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

MrBling posted:

Westernised as Mutapa by 1548. Guess its time to look to India, since the European colonisers don't seem very interested in Africa.

Granted, I did kick Portugal out of South Africa but they haven't even taken the Gold Cost area or gone near Congo. They seem more interested in the Caribbean. Castile is in Brazil and England is in North America.

I've got Siam, Malacca, Philippines and that other one* on lockdown and the money is just pouring in. It is 1760 for me and I'm going to try to get Ceylon (and maybe Bengal) on lockdown too before the game is over. My ally Ming has been taking Indus so having all of India is not going to be possible for me.

*The one that feeds into Malacca from the east. Can't recall how to spell it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Moluccas, I think?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's the one. I kept spelling it Mollucas and knowing that was wrong.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is it a generally good idea to spend Diplotmatic or Administrative power to upgrade province tax bases and production?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat, while browsing youtube videos I just discovered that an event is based on a song. If you're a monarchy with an heir, raising war taxes and have at least moderate war exhaustion you can get an event called The Weeping Song:

quote:

The war has taken a heavy toll upon the mothers and wives of your nation, and as you pass this ragged old widow where she sits, her face buried deep in her palmed hands, your heir asks: 'Oh Father, why are all the women weeping?'
-They are all weeping for their men...
-They are merely crying.
I had no idea until ten minutes ago. Well, I'm sure there more events that are but it's fun to discover things like this. :shobon:

Oh, and here are the song lyrics, and a link to a cover by bands I really like.

quote:

Go son, go down to the water
And see the women weeping there
Then go up into the mountains
The men, they are weeping too.
Father, why are all the women weeping?
They all are weeping for their men
Then why are all the men there weeping?
They are weeping back at them.

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While all the men and women sleep.
This is a weeping song
But I won't be weeping long.

Father why are all the children weeping?
They are merely crying son.
O, are they merely crying father?
Yes, true weeping is yet to come.

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While all the little children sleep.
This is a weeping song
But I won't be weeping long.

O father tell me are you weeping?
Your face seems wet to touch.
O then I'm so sorry father
I never thought I hurt you so much.

This is a weeping song
A song in which to weep
While we rock ourselves to sleep.
This is a weeping song
But I won't be weeping long
No. I won't be weeping long

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 26, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MikeC posted:

Is it a generally good idea to spend Diplotmatic or Administrative power to upgrade province tax bases and production?

Spending ADM will increase base tax, which receives a hefty penalty in off-culture provinces (-33% for non-accepted, this applies to manpower too). Spending DIP will boost production, which does NOT get penalized for off-culture, and will be better in provinces with valuable trade goods.

I think you should spend whichever you have the points to spare, but focus buying ADM development (base tax) in your big accepted-culture provinces, DIP development (production) in provinces with valuable trade goods and in trade nodes you can control. Production will probably be more income, especially later in the game as you stack Production and Trade Efficiency bonuses from tech. MIL (manpower) development is same idea as ADM (base tax), focus on your core accepted-culture provinces to avoid the off-culture penalty.

On the subject of idea picks since it comes up a lot, I'd recommend something like this

Good all-around stuff, general growth and expansion:
Administrative, Economic
Influence, Diplomatic
Offensive, Defensive, Quality, Quantity

Good but more niche or a "luxury" pickup later in the game after you get more core stuff:
Religious, Humanist, Expansion
Exploration, Trade, Maritime
Aristocratic (mayyyybe)

Pretty lovely and I'd generally avoid:
Innovative
Espionage
Naval

You pretty much can't go wrong with anything from the first list, second list is good but not in all situations. Take Exploration and Expansion if you're colonizing obviously, Religious if you're expanding heavily into Muslim territory, Humanist if you have other culture/tolerance bonuses to stack and want to eat a bunch of smaller cultures. Trade and/or Maritime if you're not colonizing and don't have access to bonus merchants and naval forcelimits from colonies or trade companies. Innovative, Espionage, and Naval are all pretty bad I think.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 27, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The advisor cost discount, free leader, and (admittedly small) tech price discount from Innovative are pretty nice. I'd put it in that second category of yours. It is nowhere near as useless as Espionage or Naval.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Haha, I gave Ulm to the commonwealth, pretty stupid on my part, since I wasn't finished with my war against schwitzerland and austria, I first joined them, but holy crap that coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I had a bit of a :downswords: moment today and bought Art of War by mistake. PM me if you want the key.

• Locked thread