Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
As far as I know, only the 60 second Something Awaits You period stands in the way of rodentine ren-fair recreation and ration replenishment.

That and the eternal shame you will carry for enslaving those poor LBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Is the reward that much better for helping the cavies? I think it's only the first give that's a big one. If you help the other side, you'll get a supply and a fuel for showing up every now and then. Certainly an added convenience but not a huge game changer.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Apart from the generic supply option, the rats give you one that repairs 20 points of hull. The cavies provide one that reduces terror by 25, gives you 5 supplies, and, I think, also clears your hunger.

You can sell extra supplies to the Sisterhood, go digging on Mount Palmerston, or convert it to fuel on a 2:1 ratio, so yeah, it's pretty broken.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Apart from the generic supply option, the rats give you one that repairs 20 points of hull. The cavies provide one that reduces terror by 25, gives you 5 supplies, and, I think, also clears your hunger.

You can sell extra supplies to the Sisterhood, go digging on Mount Palmerston, or convert it to fuel on a 2:1 ratio, so yeah, it's pretty broken.

The devs read this thread, so it'll probably be patched out within a fortnight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That means 100 echos a minute in the absolute best case, presuming that the route to the Sisterhood takes less than 30 seconds and you have zero menuing time.

In this absolute best case, you will do nothing but this for well over an hour in order to afford a Corvette, when you count in fuel resupply.

If you use that 'exploit' you deserve the immediate punishment you get.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's plenty of useful things to do with spare supplies, but the point is, it's a better pick by far than either the rat repair, or the regular resupply option. The way terror reduction is handled in the various ports seems completely arbitrary. Do you want to pay 30 echo to reduce it by 1, or do you sail a bit further and reduce it by 25 and get a bunch of goodies on top?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yes, I can say that having read about the guinea pig supply rewards, I would have preferred to side with them instead. 5 supplies will let you repair what, like 20+ hull anyway? That means that the rat option only works in a situation where you have less than half your hull left (meaning you can't repair it) but you aren't returning to London. That's situational at best, as opposed to dropping terror like it's nothing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I've played this game through five captains, maybe ten hours, and i'm way more confuse than when I started. Which i think is the point?

I've gotten the hang of most of the basics (that I've encountered, anyway) but the map reset is loving with me bigtime. Seems like I'm wasting tons of Fuel and Supplies finding things. But I also like keeping good officers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 23, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The map-retaining legacy may not be as helpful as you think. Your next captain will miss out on the huge amount of fragments you earn from discovering places and creatures. There's something like 30+ secrets worth of discoveries across the whole map, which is quite the haul.

Keeping some of your dead captain's Pages is probably the best part. I find it the most difficult stat to increase, by far.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The trick is to turn all the artifacts you find into Almanacs to sell to the Tomb Colonies. 7 secrets plus 7 artifacts become +7 Pages and an item worth 1000 echoes. Before they added that, Pages were an absolute nightmare to increase.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I've played this game through five captains, maybe ten hours, and i'm way more confuse than when I started. Which i think is the point?

I've gotten the hang of most of the basics (that I've encountered, anyway) but the map reset is loving with me bigtime. Seems like I'm wasting tons of Fuel and Supplies finding things. But I also like keeping good officers.

A few things to keep in mind about the map:
  • The western edge of the map (the one with London on it) is always the same.
  • So is the southern edge.
  • The most northeastern part of the map (Irem) is also always static.
The rest of the map is basically divided into 'regions' where randomization occurs. This limits the number of places a particular place can be quite a lot. Regions are, broadly speaking, as follows:
  • The northern edge of the map (excluding Codex/Wither and Irem). This means that Chapel of Lights/Avid Horizon, Mount Palmerston, Frostfound, and the useless Ragged Crow block are always up there, you just don't know what order they're in.
  • The 'far east' (as described by the game). This is the eastern edge of the map, obviously when it does not include Irem or the southern edge.
  • The 'south-east' (as described by the game). This is one block north of the southern edge of the map (which, as noted, is always static) and stretches all the way across to the eastern part of the map.
  • The 'near east'. This is basically anything within 2 blocks of London that is not already covered by an an abovementioned region.
  • The 'some ways east'. This is anything 3-4 blocks east of London that isn't already covered by an abovementioned region.
Your charts will give you a sense of scale even when they are not complete; the solid lines on your chart show when you cross from one chunk to another, and the game gives you more clues to that with the text pop-up describing which chunk you've arrived in, frequently with a music change as well. So even if you don't have your chart filled in, you can get an idea for if you're straying too far east or something for your target.

Once you understand these principles, it gives you a very good idea where crap is supposed to be, though some bumbling around is still to be expected early on in the game. That's what the Blind Bruiser is for, to give you a low-pressure way to get over that particular hump. You needn't keep talking to him after accepting his gift, just run one job for him and declare that you're square. He will leave you alone.

If you want to be completely spoiled on this subject, check this page on the wiki.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 23, 2015

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Easy, though a bit tedious.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Unguided posted:

The game in a nutshell.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Riso posted:

The game in a nutshell.

Yes, but still fun. Or at least enjoyable. Going off the northern edge of the map while attempting to avoid a living iceberg wasn't fun.

Absolutely loving the game overall, though.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Something rather dreadful has happened...

Does anyone know if a second Scion is possible?

Edit: I think I'm on track to do this. Updates to follow.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 27, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've just got the game and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think (like someone said earlier in the thread) it's because I've got manual saving on. gently caress playing it as a roguelike, it's just not that sort of format. A roguelike should be completable in between an hour and three hours I feel.

I will say I'm mostly baffled by things. It's hard deciding what I should be selling to the academians and such.

Can someone explain getting Vital Intelligence to me? What do I need?

And I have the Curio from the ruler of Golemland - what does that do for me? The wiki doesn't really help much.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Taear posted:

I've just got the game and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think (like someone said earlier in the thread) it's because I've got manual saving on. gently caress playing it as a roguelike, it's just not that sort of format. A roguelike should be completable in between an hour and three hours I feel.

I will say I'm mostly baffled by things. It's hard deciding what I should be selling to the academians and such.

Can someone explain getting Vital Intelligence to me? What do I need?

And I have the Curio from the ruler of Golemland - what does that do for me? The wiki doesn't really help much.

For Vital Intelligence, after you pick up Strategic Information and get back to London don't turn it in, you can pick up the quest again without turning in the old one. You need to stockpile two, then right click on them in your inventory, that opens up a dialogue choice that lets you combine them; you'll need either a Memory of Distant Shores, a Zee Story or Moves in the Great Game to do it.

The Curio is part of the Port Cecil questline. Keep playing chess to unlock it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Unguided posted:

For Vital Intelligence, after you pick up Strategic Information and get back to London don't turn it in, you can pick up the quest again without turning in the old one. You need to stockpile two, then right click on them in your inventory, that opens up a dialogue choice that lets you combine them; you'll need either a Memory of Distant Shores, a Zee Story or Moves in the Great Game to do it.

The Curio is part of the Port Cecil questline. Keep playing chess to unlock it.

I have all three of those so I can definitely do that!

As far as I can tell I've finished the Port Cecil Chess, I can't do anything more with it now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Taear posted:

As far as I can tell I've finished the Port Cecil Chess, I can't do anything more with it now.

If you haven't had a call for a watchful curio you haven't finished the chess.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Coolguye posted:

A few things to keep in mind about the map:
  • The western edge of the map (the one with London on it) is always the same.
  • So is the southern edge.
  • The most northeastern part of the map (Irem) is also always static.
The rest of the map is basically divided into 'regions' where randomization occurs. This limits the number of places a particular place can be quite a lot. Regions are, broadly speaking, as follows:
  • The northern edge of the map (excluding Codex/Wither and Irem). This means that Chapel of Lights/Avid Horizon, Mount Palmerston, Frostfound, and the useless Ragged Crow block are always up there, you just don't know what order they're in.
  • The 'far east' (as described by the game). This is the eastern edge of the map, obviously when it does not include Irem or the southern edge.
  • The 'south-east' (as described by the game). This is one block north of the southern edge of the map (which, as noted, is always static) and stretches all the way across to the eastern part of the map.
  • The 'near east'. This is basically anything within 2 blocks of London that is not already covered by an an abovementioned region.
  • The 'some ways east'. This is anything 3-4 blocks east of London that isn't already covered by an abovementioned region.
Your charts will give you a sense of scale even when they are not complete; the solid lines on your chart show when you cross from one chunk to another, and the game gives you more clues to that with the text pop-up describing which chunk you've arrived in, frequently with a music change as well. So even if you don't have your chart filled in, you can get an idea for if you're straying too far east or something for your target.

Once you understand these principles, it gives you a very good idea where crap is supposed to be, though some bumbling around is still to be expected early on in the game. That's what the Blind Bruiser is for, to give you a low-pressure way to get over that particular hump. You needn't keep talking to him after accepting his gift, just run one job for him and declare that you're square. He will leave you alone.

If you want to be completely spoiled on this subject, check this page on the wiki.

I'm sorry, I opened this in a new tab, replied, and then... closed the tab without clicking anything, I guess? I thought I posted but I don't see it.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Some bits of this I had already noticed, but for the most part you saved me quite a bit of time. Much easier to get the right amount of supplies for the scenario where whatever port I'm going to find ends up being as far away from my starting point as possible.

Taear posted:

I have all three of those so I can definitely do that!

You're aware that you have to have a certain quality when you hit a port for a number of interactions to pop up? It's called "Something Awaits You." It keeps people from blowing through ever possible interaction with one visit to a port. If you stop at Port Cecil without that quality, nothing will be available, even if there's more to do.

Is there any way to get rid of The Scarred Sister? I legit feel bad keeping her alive, and I've got the Disillusioned Doctor, who I will be dis-disillusioining if I get one of my stats up high enough before we die or I actually win, so she's not at all useful as a card.

Also, any tips on finding the things I need to make whatever it is that makes Aestival habitable? I know where to get it, but I have no loving clue where to get The FIgurehead of The Eater of Names or Dawn's law, and I'd prefer a gentle push in the right direction to just looking it up, if someone doesn't mind.

And, just curious, opinions on scummy save editing? I haven't tried it, because I'm assuming it makes the game boring. I could be wrong, though. Especially for people who are more interested in mainlining all the game content as soon as possible.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there any way to get rid of The Scarred Sister? I legit feel bad keeping her alive, and I've got the Disillusioned Doctor, who I will be dis-disillusioining if I get one of my stats up high enough before we die or I actually win, so she's not at all useful as a card.

Take her to the surface.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Take her up to the surface, or I think with some shenanigans you can leave her on Station 3? There's no way to un-scar her, but it does provide a bittersweet ending to her plot.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Also, any tips on finding the things I need to make whatever it is that makes Aestival habitable? I know where to get it, but I have no loving clue where to get The FIgurehead of The Eater of Names or Dawn's law, and I'd prefer a gentle push in the right direction to just looking it up, if someone doesn't mind.

Dawn's Law is connected to the Dawn Machine. The Eater of Names is a rare spawn around the Gant Pole.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

You're aware that you have to have a certain quality when you hit a port for a number of interactions to pop up? It's called "Something Awaits You." It keeps people from blowing through ever possible interaction with one visit to a port. If you stop at Port Cecil without that quality, nothing will be available, even if there's more to do.

I am. I feel like I have to trigger something else before the Chess line will carry on but I don't know what it is.

I'd like to know how you find out about some of the stuff without a guide though! Do they expect you to just luck into it? I guess so.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Taear posted:

I am. I feel like I have to trigger something else before the Chess line will carry on but I don't know what it is.

I'd like to know how you find out about some of the stuff without a guide though! Do they expect you to just luck into it? I guess so.

you need like x pages or something then you get invited in

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Unguided posted:

Right around when I founded the colony I decided 'I have spent 300 hours in this game, I'm tired of the artificial slowness' and massively tweaked ship speed & fuel consumption so that I could zip around the Zee. It did a lot for making that last grind far more tolerable.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I liked the slowness when I first started, because I thought it added to the atmosphere. It just gets tedious after multiple playthroughs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So - talking of slowness. Is there a way to get the Zee Ztories and such faster? It requires 77 of each of them to create the thing you need to win as "greatest explorer". I see like....20 as a lot so I'm really not sure how to go about it other than farming tonnes of zee beasts.

I would say the biggest annoyance to me is that the first ship you're likely to buy still doesn't actually increase the size of the cargo hold. I've done about 20 hours now and while I feel like I've done a lot my maximum cargo is still only 40.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just use a memory editor.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Taear posted:

So - talking of slowness. Is there a way to get the Zee Ztories and such faster? It requires 77 of each of them to create the thing you need to win as "greatest explorer". I see like....20 as a lot so I'm really not sure how to go about it other than farming tonnes of zee beasts.

How is the 75 secrets required not your biggest limiter?

Stygian Ivory (Harvest or buy at Khanate/Chelonate)-> Tales of Terror@Wither -> Irem at 2:1 OR with a case of wine you can trade 10 for 10 at the Empire of Hands' Treasure Hunter.

If you follow the Mechanic's storyline to its penultimate step, do 1:1 trades of Mem of Dist Shore for Zee-ztories for as long as you keep the Sage around.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Roumba posted:

How is the 75 secrets required not your biggest limiter?

Because I didn't know there were 75 secrets required. Jesus!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Well, 40+7*5 for crafting the 5 auxillary thingys.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Also if I remember correctly the chess questline gives you 20+ secrets by the end. I think the whispways give grindable secrets to.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
You can also buy them for 1,000 echoes each at Irem.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lorn flukes give three too, I think.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Taear posted:

Give Recent News to the nearest light-ship, go back to London, wait for SAY, pick up the news, repeat 76 more times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Lorn flukes give three too, I think.

I think you have to pass a test for that. Pages most likely.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Taear posted:

I think you have to pass a test for that. Pages most likely.

Not a very hard Pages test. Should be doable with the Horizon Codex and the stat bump from crafting and equipping the Pages item needed anyway for the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I finally got the game over the weekend and I love seeing the art for the various places/people that have been mentioned in Fallen London and exploring them in greater depth. The slow pace and the menaces get to be more tedious than atmospheric after like the fifth death, though, even with manual saves on. What I wouldn't give for a Filthy Casual mode...

• Locked thread