Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Buried alive posted:

So uh..I had an idea for a skill tree overhaul, but I know basically nothing about modding. Like, looking at TESVEdit is kind of scary. Also I don't have a lot of free time so it's hard to imagine this thing ever coming to fruition. Am I just a little nuts? I'm leaning towards sticking with SPERG and being done with it so I can actually play. In this lifetime. After I'm done downloading mods. Again.

If you want to play around with the idea, I'd say find a mod that changes a specific skill or perk tree, like one of the stealth mods or the magic rebalancing ones. The big overhaul mods are bad because they add in a lot of features you can't weed out at first glance, like SPERG and its weapon salvaging.

Try and find something as specific as you can, even just one perk change, so you can work your way up from there. And don't discount the creation kit, you can do most things in there that you think you'd need TESVEdit for, so looking for those types of tutorials is an option too.

You're going to be googling a lot though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mazz posted:

If you want to play around with the idea, I'd say find a mod that changes a specific skill or perk tree, like one of the stealth mods or the magic rebalancing ones. The big overhaul mods are bad because they add in a lot of features you can't weed out at first glance, like SPERG and its weapon salvaging.

Try and find something as specific as you can, even just one perk change, so you can work your way up from there. And don't discount the creation kit, you can do most things in there that you think you'd need TESVEdit for, so looking for those types of tutorials is an option too.

You're going to be googling a lot though.

Yeah, this.

The best place to start with TES5Edit is to make patches or just crack open your existing mods and see how they work.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Buried alive posted:

So uh..I had an idea for a skill tree overhaul, but I know basically nothing about modding. Like, looking at TESVEdit is kind of scary. Also I don't have a lot of free time so it's hard to imagine this thing ever coming to fruition. Am I just a little nuts? I'm leaning towards sticking with SPERG and being done with it so I can actually play. In this lifetime. After I'm done downloading mods. Again.

This might be of interest to you: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49373/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Does the "When Vampires Attack" mod really work to prevent NPC deaths? Because I went to sleep in Whiterun only to find the blacksmith dead by vampire, and I'm pretty sure she was asleep and in her house already at that time. (It was 1 AM when I entered Whiterun, and the Vampire didn't even show up (i.e. phase into existence in the middle of the street) until some time later.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 25, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Does the "When Vampires Attack" mod really work to prevent NPC deaths? Because I went to sleep in Whiterun only to find the blacksmith dead by vampire, and I'm pretty sure she was asleep and in her house already at that time. (It was 1 AM when I entered Whiterun, and the Vampire didn't even show up (i.e. phase into existence in the middle of the street) until some time later.

Seems like it would be simpler to just have a mod that sets select NPCs (quest-related, followers, NPCs with vendor-type functions [Blacksmith, Innkeeper, etc]) to unkillable/essential.

I wonder if something like that all combined into one mod is floating around somewhere...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just started a new game with Live Another Life's random option and it was the incredibly fun.

And I d even get one of the really crazy ones-- I'm just Erik the Slayer's childhood friend from Rorikstead. But I love the specificity of that, and I love that I had all sorts of adventures fighting bandits and draugr with Erik before I even caught a whiff of the main quest.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Seems like it would be simpler to just have a mod that sets select NPCs (quest-related, followers, NPCs with vendor-type functions [Blacksmith, Innkeeper, etc]) to unkillable/essential.

I wonder if something like that all combined into one mod is floating around somewhere...

Someone posted a mod that just straight up disables the vampire attacks in towns.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of the fun side effects of using that Market Stall mod and selling my smithed-up weapons to guards and townsfolk is watching them tear up unsuspecting vampires afterwards :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Someone posted a mod that just straight up disables the vampire attacks in towns.

Yeah but that only fixes the vampire attacks. What if you just straight up don't want quest NPCs or followers dying?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Yeah but that only fixes the vampire attacks. What if you just straight up don't want quest NPCs or followers dying?

stand still for 5 seconds upon entering the town at night, and deal with the vampire attack?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

WarLocke posted:

Shouldn't they be essential?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

Shouldn't they be essential?

poo poo, idunno, maybe they are already. Teaches me for piping up.

Also, holy gently caress I need to try Windsong's Character Overhaul. Hi-res retextures of every non-beast race in the vanilla style? :stare:

e: loving hell this is Lydia with this thing?!? :swoon:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 25, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

That..looks like it might be really helpful. I might have to actually take this thing from inspiration to fully fleshed out plan.

I guess I do have one question right off the bat. Is there a limit to how many abilities/bonuses/whatever can be applied by a single perk?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 25, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

WarLocke posted:

poo poo, idunno, maybe they are already. Teaches me for piping up.

Also, holy gently caress I need to try Windsong's Character Overhaul. Hi-res retextures of every non-beast race in the vanilla style? :stare:

e: loving hell this is Lydia with this thing?!? :swoon:

Last time I tried that mod it just made everyone look like Cole Phelps from L.A. Noire. Faces painted on.

This mod is the closest I've found that has nice head meshes. The body meshes are pretty good too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Buried alive posted:

I guess I do have one question right off the bat. Is there a limit to how many abilities/bonuses/whatever can be applied by a single perk?

Maybe? I messed around with an Archery tree overhaul (and I'm totes coming back to it soon for real!!) and it looked like I could just keep adding poo poo for perks to do as much as I wanted.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Rincewind posted:

Can anybody recommend some good hairstyle mods? All the ones I've seen on Steam Workshop are like these ludicrous anime hairs, and even though as a Final Fantasy XIV player I appreciate anime hair in proper contexts, it looks out of place in Skyrim.

I use Lore Styles Hair Set and Lovely Hairstyles myself. The latter has a few that are a bit too fancy for the setting, but also some very nice ones.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
When using SPERG or Path of Shadows, is it normal to level up Light Armor just from running? It does not seem normal. On the other hand, maybe it's not super-broken since I rarely get a chance to be hit (since I do most kills from behind).

Has anyone tried the Shortcuts - Secret City Entrances mod? This version has been cleaned of the dirty edits. Is it recommended?

Buried alive posted:

That..looks like it might be really helpful. I might have to actually take this thing from inspiration to fully fleshed out plan.

One limit you should be worrying about is how much text appears in the perk description. Even if there's no text limit, if you have a couple paragraphs worth of info on the effects, the perk is probably doing too much.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
EDIT: I had to delete Mod Organizer and put it back in, which at least wasn't too much trouble.

Emong posted:

SPERG does that. You should be able to toggle out in the MCM if it bothers you.

Okay, that's fine. It doesn't bother me, I just wanted to check and see if it was a bug or working as intended.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

When using SPERG or Path of Shadows, is it normal to level up Light Armor just from running? It does not seem normal. On the other hand, maybe it's not super-broken since I rarely get a chance to be hit (since I do most kills from behind).

SPERG does that. You should be able to toggle out in the MCM if it bothers you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Do you guys use any texture replacements for (male) khajiit and/or argonians? I know of a couple female-specific ones, and there's Cover Khajiits which does both genders I guess, but argonian men get shafted.

There's that one Drachis mod that makes them look like dragons, I guess...

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

WarLocke posted:

Do you guys use any texture replacements for (male) khajiit and/or argonians? I know of a couple female-specific ones, and there's Cover Khajiits which does both genders I guess, but argonian men get shafted.

Now that you mention it, I don't use any texture replacers for the beast races, and the reason is exactly the one you bring up here - finding a decently supported mod that covers both genders of both races is.. well.. near impossible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Any mods which add a bounty for wearing the Dark Brotherhood armor? It doesn't seem right to be able to stroll around with it in towns and cities and no one cares (which makes me keep forgetting to take it off when entering them).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Have any of you guys played long/full games with Civil War Overhaul installed? Surfing the net I'm coming across conflicting statements about it - that it's an awesome mod that really adds a lot and that it's old and unstable as gently caress.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Have any of you guys played long/full games with Civil War Overhaul installed? Surfing the net I'm coming across conflicting statements about it - that it's an awesome mod that really adds a lot and that it's old and unstable as gently caress.

It could be both. I played with an older version of that mod's author's Dragon Combat Overhaul and just found it to be a weird experience with a lot of poo poo that doesn't really make sense. This may or may not have any relevance to CWO though.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I'm having a problem getting loot to work. When I run the .exe from outside MO it works fine, but of course doesn't show any of my mods. When I run it from inside MO it pops up as a blank screen and just stays there. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Aaaaand now I can't get the ASIS patcher to work. It says that the unofficial dawnguard patch is missing its master file the unofficial skyrim patch, but that's loaded and it's literally the first thing in my load order after the two main files.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 26, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Buried alive posted:

I'm having a problem getting loot to work. When I run the .exe from outside MO it works fine, but of course doesn't show any of my mods. When I run it from inside MO it pops up as a blank screen and just stays there. Anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Aaaaand now I can't get the ASIS patcher to work. It says that the unofficial dawnguard patch is missing its master file the unofficial skyrim patch, but that's loaded and it's literally the first thing in my load order after the two main files.

The second thing is a USKP problem, go to the Nexus page for it, and look in the comments part. I think it's the first or second sticky. The basic idea is you have to cut a large section of the USKP out because it's grown too big for the Java patchers, then you just reinstall the full USKP afterwards. This has no effect on the patcher because the parts of the USKP you remove aren't actually used at all by the Java patcher (CELL entries).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

WarLocke posted:

The description on the mod page is so obnoxious that I just sort of ignored it on principle.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Probably the most obnoxious thing about apollodown's unique "style" is that he's influential enough that I've seen other authors doing the same poo poo with their mod descriptions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

APOLLO'S OBJECTIVE MOD ASSESSMENT

Script weight.........................Low, High during sieges.
Installation Difficulty...............High
Modding Skill Level Required......Very High
Game Difficulty Increase...........High

Wow, what a dickhole.

fake edit: Oh good the rest of the page is full of loving memes. :cripes:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Danaru posted:

Wow, what a dickhole.

Well I was going to give some of his overhauls a try. gently caress that. I don't need a dragon fight overhaul that much.

At least his Immersive Horse was just 'download, install'

And you can skip his 'combat drama' thing and just use VioLens I think, they do similar stuff.

Any of you have experience with Ethereal Elven Overhaul? There's a bajillion and one patches for it and I can't tell if they're rolled up in the big main DLC patch or not. :emo:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 26, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

WarLocke posted:

Well I was going to give some of his overhauls a try. gently caress that. I don't need a dragon fight overhaul that much.

At least his Immersive Horse was just 'download, install'

And you can skip his 'combat drama' thing and just use VioLens I think, they do similar stuff.

Any of you have experience with Ethereal Elven Overhaul? There's a bajillion and one patches for it and I can't tell if they're rolled up in the big main DLC patch or not. :emo:

I tried installing it a while back to see how it looked in-game and no matter what I did, and, no matter what other mods/compatibility patches I had installed, it just turned elven faces into jumbled messes as if all the facial sliders were set to random values.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Excelzior posted:

stand still for 5 seconds upon entering the town at night, and deal with the vampire attack?

Doesn't work if e.g. you're entering Whiterun coming from the jarl's castle. You can't make it to the entrance fast enough.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

His Fire and Ice Overhaul mod is pretty cool.

WarLocke posted:

It's actually pretty stable these days, but here's a not-tryhard breakdown of the mod:

- Start a new game or things will get hosed up! THIS IS IMPORTANT. You should also make a separate MO profile for a CWO run, if possible.

- You can lose battles and even lose the war, and if you get knocked out during battle your side might win.

- Both sides have more unit types (mages, Stormcloaks get Giants*, there are war dogs/tamed wolves etc.).

- Tullius and Ulfric will fight in certain larger battles (such as the battle for Whiterun). They also get cool speeches too.

- Apollodown added special gear you can get as you go up the ranks.

- Soldier AI is better (for example, archers will sit back and fire away while the melee dudes charge in).

- Dragons can appear and cause havoc for both sides (you can disable this, thankfully).

*According to Apollodown, there was supposed to be a Stormcloak quest to recruit giants, however there wasn't much quest data available to work with so he just added them anyway.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's actually pretty stable these days, but here's a not-tryhard breakdown of the mod:

Does it still have that feature where, for example, joining the Imperials means everyone in Stormcloak holds will try to murder you unless you're wearing Stormcloak armor? I never liked that feature as it didn't make much sense to me.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RangerPL posted:

Does it still have that feature where, for example, joining the Imperials means everyone in Stormcloak holds will try to murder you unless you're wearing Stormcloak armor? I never liked that feature as it didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah.

I think it kinda makes sense since by wearing the opposite faction's armor, you're putting on a disguise.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think it kinda makes sense since by wearing the opposite faction's armor, you're putting on a disguise.

Sure, but your average Stomcloak grunt doesn't know what every Imperial grunt looks like.

It'd make more sense to me if they only attacked you if you waltzed in wearing the other faction's armor.

I just wish there was an MCM toggle for it or something.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Danaru posted:

Wow, what a dickhole.

Yeah man it's really hard to hit "Install with Manager" maybe six times, I would rate that as very high difficulty as well

Holy poo poo I just scrolled down and the memes hit, this guy has less class than the titty modders

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Idunno, I think I'm just gonna pass on CWO and install Immersive Patrols instead. I'd rather miss out on the added content and not risk it making GBS threads the bed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

One would think that choosing to write a mod description in that fashion would preclude any kind of "RTFM, nublord :rolleyes:" smuggo bullshit but uh

quote:

I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DELETE, BLOCK, OR REPORT YOU WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT. I FURTHER RESERVE THE RIGHT TO EXERCISE THIS RIGHT ARBITRARILY. BE NICE AND READ THE DESCRIPTION BEFORE POSTING.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"READ THE MANUAL also I made the manual the most unreadable meme-filled excercise in circumlocution as possible."

Is there a modders.txt thread/twitter? I feel that would go well.

• Locked thread