Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
if that thing can transmit that low, depending on the country you're in, you've got a new 600m rig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
it will definitely do 600m, but the voltage driven into a short long wire at 500W output is downright frightening

looking at this it looks like the basic system is designed to be integrated into a sophisticated shipbound telephony system with duplex and separate antennas, because of this there's no standalone T/R switch as part of the transmitter in the documentation

however there are provisions for simplex, it may already be set up for simplex but if not i can use the reserve transmitter system to connect the receiver, when the reserve TX is used, it disconnects the PA output and wires the ext input straight to one of the two antennas
so connecting the RX to the reserve TX port and fiddling with the wiring should let me use that as a T/R switch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
need a boat to go with that anchor

nice 1

---

here's the 70cm yagi I threw together last night/today. i didnt want 2 beams for 440 cause i dont care that much, but i wanted a beam. so i built a circular polarized 5+5 setup, says about 14 db over a dipole, thats cool, whatever. Vertical is offset 173mm from the horizontal so all you do is feed with equal length feedlines and depending on how you wire feedpoint polarity, you get either right hand circular or left hand circular.

instead of a linear polarized antenna being 'full power' in its matching polarization and at least 20db down in the opposite, this will only be about 3db down in any polarization. so i can work 432 sideband, point it at a satellite now and then, or just aim it at the mountains and work repeaters with half a watt

same DX engineering tubing as the 6/2 beams, 1/2" centers with 3/8" ends. driven is fat on purpose with little tiny stubs at the end for tweaking, for bandwidth's sake. all dimensions accurate to a mm or so. oh and i even ballparked boom correction as i used simple screw to mast mounting so there is a bit of interaction(added 4mm to every parasitic). i have good feelins about this one

now i need to pick up a bit of 75 ohm feedline to make the matching section for the phasing harness and i'm good to go

(nerd note: normally dudes run 28 ohm yagis and use 50 ohm quarter wave sections to transform it to 100 ohms at the end of each, paralleled brings it to 50. instead i built 50 ohm beams, will feed with equal length 50 ohm lines, and transform the 25-ish ohm impedance there to 50 ohms with a 37 ohm quarter wave section, made of two 75 ohm chunks in parallel)

edit: heres the modeled swr curve.curious to see if i can get close to this.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 24, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You and your fuckin reasonably sized antennas :v:
I'm wishing I had gotten a vhf/uhf rig instead of hf.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

are there usually people speaking spanish obliterating a chunk of lower 20m

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SperginMcBadposter posted:

You and your fuckin reasonably sized antennas :v:
I'm wishing I had gotten a vhf/uhf rig instead of hf.

gotta be everywhere on the spectum maaaaaaan

i now have complete coverage between 160m and 70cm except for 220mhz and i dont give a poo poo about 220 cause NO BODY is on there

next up: 1.2 gig aww yiss

atomicthumbs posted:

often theres a cluster of them around 150-200

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

AM? welcome to unlicensed shortwave

I'm on a mexican, whoa-oh, radio

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

jt65: the world's premiere method of making a signal strength report last 5 minutes

Storysmith posted:

AM? welcome to unlicensed shortwave

I'm on a mexican, whoa-oh, radio

what got me curious was that they were on ssb

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
yanked the 2m rig out of the vehicle and checked into the tupelo net on my rooftop omni. was able to check in but i think net control mightve got me as oscar instead of alpha, idk. much more formal net than what im used to but its nice to actually use 55 watts and my batteries and whatnot and make it somewhere my poo poo HT can't.

I'm surprised at how much the audi quality is shifting around when i'm stationary. Everything started off s2 or so, now i have the squelch basically wide open.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lmao dudes talking poo poo about another guy that spent $30 on a yeti cooler cup

e: they also dont have a pl tone out :mad:

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 24, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
how do i run my own numbers station?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beast of Bourbon posted:

how do i run my own numbers station?

be the dictator or somehow be in power of a nation state with spies abroad i think, and you'll come to that point

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got anxious and built a cheap quick phasing harness
this is not the final one but the math still works

take two pieces of 75 ohm rg-59. cut adn strip them so that they have about 1/2" ends, and the length of the coax is about 137mm (quarter wave, but its physically shorter due to velocity factor). make them identical.

now just tee them together to each feedpoint and to a 50 ohm coax.

the 50 ohms of each antenna gets transformed by the 75 ohm coax to be about 100 ohms at the far end. Then you parallel two of those for 50 ohms to the rig, and you're splitting power evenly and in phase between the two antennas.

pointed it at SO-50 on a 30 degree pass and had about s3 to s5 just about full quieting audio any time its more than 8 deg above horizon. lmao. and i was just holding it arrow style with my phone taped to it for compass/inclinometer

(tldr: it works fuckin great)

i heard sniep at s7 to s9 on simplex but i couldnt get back at ground level with 5 watts. will get it in the air soon

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
sniep how you liking that tram on your balcony?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i didnt get the tram, i got the og diamond one, and its great afaict so far. can't wait to fix up this kenwood with the pots jonny ordered and get it operable, since the actual radio guts seem to all be fine, just small parts and heavy use degredation

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm doing vanity callsign research

WO0OOO is not taken

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PROBLEM: 14.313 is apparently full of jerks
HYPOTHESIS: 14.313 is in the all-mode section. perhaps it could be made pleasant?
SOLUTION: combine my two hobbies, dogposting and amateur radio, with the aid of SSTV and a 1500w linear amp (once i get my general)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

PROBLEM: 14.313 is apparently full of jerks
HYPOTHESIS: 14.313 is in the all-mode section. perhaps it could be made pleasant?
SOLUTION: combine my two hobbies, dogposting and amateur radio, with the aid of SSTV and a 1500w linear amp (once i get my general)

same but that gif of a dog humping then barfing on loop

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
the FM part of my stock GM ac delco radio stopped working at some point. i wonder what did it. its not static, it's just completely silent, like all the DJs are out taking a dump or something. idk if the antenna worked its way loose or if that radio is just dead. seems like a good excuse to get rid of my stock radio--->stock tape deck--->3.5mm headphone jack-->china bluetooth adapter janky setup.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sniep posted:

same but that gif of a dog humping then barfing on loop

http://www.k9rod.net/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is huge this is huge this is HUGE

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/amsat-na-amsat-dl-and-virginia-tech-announce-potential-phase-3e-opportunity

quote:

Virginia Tech has approached the US Government to fly the Phase 3E space frame into high-Earth orbit (HEO) in order to support scientific payloads as well as serve as an Amateur Radio satellite. During the AMSAT-DL Annual Meeting on July 4, the membership approved the concept, agreeing to allow the Phase 3E space frame currently stored in Germany to be shipped to Virginia Tech for further construction, testing, and preparation for eventual launch into HEO, should the US Government formally agree to fund such a mission.

so this is big because it will most likely be in Molniya orbit. The idea of this is that the bird slingshots around earth at low orbit, not really being used. Then when it starts to approach apogee, its in the very elliptical part of its orbit. this has several effects:

-it is visible from like 40% of the earth's surface, usually the northern hemisphere
-It does not move much in the sky from the ground station's POV, leading to simplified tracking. You still need (and absolutely NEED) azimuth and elevation rotators, but you'll only be moving them a click or two every few minutes, rather than every 20 seconds, like low orbit sats
-The time above horizon is pretty loving ridiculous. like 6-8 hours of talk time.
-in its usable period, it is pretty high above the horizon. you dont have to gently caress with blasting through the treeline or horizon
-Two passes per day, orbital period of one half a sidereal day. So you literally have an 8 hour window every day where you can just hop on and chat

It has drawbacks too though:
-you will need a real ground station. think 25-100 watts, good coax, and a 10-20 element beam as well as the aforementioned rotators. you will need to be well versed in ssb and you won't be able to use a dual band HT here. Most likely uplink downlink bands are 432 mhz, 1296 or 2304.
-Kind of fucks the southern hemisphere. Sadly population distribution is not going to make this one change. europe beats au in the satellite game, they're huge about it over there
-Bird passes through the Van Allen belt on the way up and down every orbit, so it needs to be built like a brick shithouse

--
i'm freaking out over this because as a teen, all I wanted was a high orbit satellite station to chat with dudes, I don't like fast contacts, I like ragchew. but we couldnt afford, nor did dad care to help. then i grew up and dumped ham radio for 10 years and when I came back, all the high orbit birds were gone and 9/11 happened and my dreams were crushed. this is why i've been so so so excited about all the amsat activity as of late. the LEO sats are fun for a demo to cub scouts, but i want to dive deeper

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's a hambuddy's AO-40 (the last Molniya satellite) farm. this makes me feel funny

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
v cool stuff. my el cheapo usb serial came in. so now i have an 8 pin din, cm108 usb sound card and also a 8 pin and 7 pin din connector and a sacrificial vga cable. i wanna do psk31. is there anything else i need?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

drat copper pipe is expensive. $17 for 10 feet to make the vertical, and I'm going to use the cheaper wire I have laying around to make radials.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SperginMcBadposter posted:

drat copper pipe is expensive. $17 for 10 feet to make the vertical, and I'm going to use the cheaper wire I have laying around to make radials.

spergin lay teh pipe

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
right, spent all day disassembling the rack and moving it to temporary storage, should get it set up in a few months. the power supply is ridiculously heavy

i decided to bring the receiver and exciter down with me to do an alignment check and to modify the exciter to generate LSB (turns out that although the modulator only does LSB, the sidebands are flipped in the 4th mixer)

here's the basic setup, just soldered some leads to get 230V and a 32V aux supply into it to make it work, using a 70s 600 ohm dynamic handset, which seems to work reasonably well and has a suitable beige colour

this outputs around 65mW, a fairly reasonable power level for QRP and produces quite good sound into the receiver and the 706 on the desk

manual was very clear that the exciter will only do 26 MHz, which is clearly rubbish, it locks and keys just fine at 28.553.

e: two of the nixies seem dead, is it common for all the digits to fail at once or should i be looking at the wiring and switching to see if i can revive them?

longview fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 26, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

manual was very clear that the exciter will only do 26 MHz, which is clearly rubbish, it locks and keys just fine at 28.553.

most likely anti-CB legalese

that is such a cool find

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i'd love to see someone running 600W pep on CB, i can't imagine what this system cost in like 1975 when it was new, but this gear wouldn't exactly have been publicly sold then anyway
also it doesn't do AM, it does to SSB + carrier, CW and RTTY, there's a dedicated circuit board that kicks in a relay to force it to A3H (SSB full carrier) when the switches are set to 02182.0 kHz too

the design is sometimes a bit old (like using nixies and all 54 series logic), but the core RF stuff is pretty similar to ~10-20 year old amateur gear, all transistorized PA, triple conversion receiver and quad conversion transmitter (for purely practical reasons, each pll is controlled by two of the digit selectors), TCXO timebases that still seem spot on, fully protected redundant outputs with auto tuner etc.

found a pair of appropriate nixies ("100% tested NOS") on ebay for a fair price so ordered them, even if it's a wiring fault it's always nice to have spares of parts like that

e: oh yeah, and earlier i found this in the receiver operator/service manual:

i'm assuming whoever wrote that wanted to put in "STOP loving AROUND WITH THE FILTERS YOU IDIOTS"

longview fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 26, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got some help this time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmEYSu-hP8

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i just bought something for $5 but I'm not entirely sure what, or how to power it

apparently it's a "surveillance receiver" and there are a wide variety of tuning heads for it besides the VHF one installed in there, covering various ranges from 2mhz to 7ghz

e: it's the yospos radio

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 26, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

How to Build a God-drat Radio

underside. found the power cord. note the carefully spot tied bundles

topside, featuring enormous nicad battery pack (probably dead) and modular construction. apparently the pack provides +24, +12, and -12v? maybe?

video amplifier, audio amplifier, power supply, and COR (carrier operated receiver, sorta like squelch) boards

AGC and 100khz-wide IF board

tuner. not shown: a loving steel spike to keep it centered with the receiver frame, and teflon bushings on the end of the rails so it slides smooth

aaaaaaa

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 26, 2015

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

topside, featuring enormous nicad battery pack (probably dead) and modular construction. apparently the pack provides +24, +12, and -12v? maybe?

i wonder how much :effort: is involved to actually put in new batts into that pack

prolly requires nicd chemistry too somehow

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
problem: transferring band selection information from the exciter to the antenna tuner. TTL circuits aren't super resistant to ground shifts and RFI

solution: decode the decade switches to 18 discrete band selection signals, then feed that to a multi pole rotary switch, drive that with a stepped motor, then using transistors, step the switch until the wiper hits the active band position

two other poles are grey coded, this is wired to the ATU with no ground connection to the exciter
in the ATU this is decoded to the big band select knob on the front panel which sets up the logic and switches various atu relays

except the decode logic for the 18 positions is lazy, it works brilliantly in the marine bands, but if the transmitter's set to (e.g.) 14 MHz, then none of the decoder outputs activate, and the stepper spins forever

so add that to the list of mods, this is all TTL and the decode logic is in a separate plug in module, so i'll probably replace the PCB inside the plug in module with a small MCU.
each module is a shielded vmebus style rack with D-subs on the ends, so replacing the PCB isn't a big deal

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

can you not use a couple of opto's instead of the rube goldberg rotary switch contraption?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
because it has a rube goldberg switch contraption that sounds like a telephone exchange from the 50s or a railway signalling station right now?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
saw a page where a guy built an auto antenna tuner and drove an 11 position inductor switch (they don't count the open position) with a 12 position rotary solenoid. took the detent out.

but yeah keep that and fix it so it works. thunk thunk thunk

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the spy radio doesn't work and i have no idea how to fix it~

no audio through the phones, and the dial light in the tuner is either burnt out or there's a deeper pathology in the power supply. when I turn it on, the "tuning" meter jumps to one side, and slowly settles back to 0.

at least I can take the boards out and troubleshoot them one by one? they don't have edge connectors, they have this little row of clamp jaw things that I assume are for better contact at RF. I guess first things first I'll take some Deoxit to everything since I see some green corrosion on a couple of the boards and connectors, especially ones that had voltage on them from the battery.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
and dont forget to have and introduce the proper power-on enabling private key from the fill device which the spy had when he had the radio that goes into the extremely hidden jack you havent found yet and wont unless the spy shows you how to open it

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got most of this poo poo put together now, but it's raining for the first time in a month right now so I cant bring it out to tune the length.

cylinder at the bottom left is a common-mode choke wound on pvc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
help. what are you goin for here? looks neat

• Locked thread