Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sundayturks posted:

Seagulls have been dive-bombing some people in defence of their chicks, an elderly lady got a nasty head wound from one. That's the story,
And some of the people dive bombed have been migrants, which makes them a Patriot Seagull Squadron. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bay leaves are best used in soups, stews and sauces, but remember to remove them before eating!

How is it possible to gently caress up drawing cannabis so badly? Am I missing :thejoke: here?

Edit: We know this is Durham because of 'Durham Road' (although this could also mean this street is not actually in Durham because that's not how road names work). Christ alive Mac can be lazy as poo poo sometimes.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 25, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Bay leaves are best used in soups, stews and sauces, but remember to remove them before eating!

How is it possible to gently caress up drawing cannabis so badly? Am I missing :thejoke: here?

Edit: We know this is Durham because of 'Durham Road' (although this could also mean this street is not actually in Durham because that's not how road names work). Christ alive Mac can be lazy as poo poo sometimes.
Maybe the joke is that they're actually growing coca leaves, which are still a Class A drug despite being about the mildest stimulant possible and even the Pope enjoys them.

There are Durham Roads in Loughborough, Birmingham, Sheffield, and London, but not in Durham. Or in Bolivia to my knowledge.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's actually a pretty amazing metaphor

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Chris Cairns is consistently excellent, he's my favourite thing about WoS.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Coohoolin posted:

Chris Cairns is consistently excellent, he's my favourite thing about WoS.

The couple of good things about WoS.

Did The National not reach out to him or did he decied solely to draw for WoS?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Extreme0 posted:

The couple of good things about WoS.

Did The National not reach out to him or did he decied solely to draw for WoS?

No idea. I think Greg Moodie still does stuff for the National, Cairns might just not have a frequent enough output. He can go a week without producing anything. This was his latest stuff:

I love his "Scottish lion" character, he's so adorable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Moodie is terrible, & yes, The National still use him

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I like Cairns''s art although I often disagree with his intent, but this particular cartoon is idiotically insufferable.

To be clear, it implies that (wily, cuddly) foxes are being protected by (stoic, implacable) Scottish laws/culture/people (as embodied by the lion with a tartan tam. Even though traditionally a lion represents England and unicorn represents Scotland). This is complete and utter bollocks. Scottish laws on fox hunting are much more permissive (e.g. they allow hunting with dog packs) than English laws. The implication that Scottish MPs (and Scotland in general) are some kind of defender of (wily, cuddly) foxes is moronic, as is the concomitant implication that Scottish MPs/Scotland is standing up for the (wily, cuddly) "little guy" against a bullying other [England]. For the cartoon to have any kind of legitimacy, it would need to have the behatted lion preventing another (English) lion from touching the fox while a pack of rabid behatted unicorns devour it in the background. But that wouldn't fit a simplistic "Scotland good/England bad" narrative.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
An Englishman once hit an Indianman and made him sad. It is now considered rude to be English.

Also where is that fox putting his hand.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If... 29 June - 2 July

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

I like Cairns''s art although I often disagree with his intent, but this particular cartoon is idiotically insufferable.

To be clear, it implies that (wily, cuddly) foxes are being protected by (stoic, implacable) Scottish laws/culture/people (as embodied by the lion with a tartan tam. Even though traditionally a lion represents England and unicorn represents Scotland). This is complete and utter bollocks. Scottish laws on fox hunting are much more permissive (e.g. they allow hunting with dog packs) than English laws. The implication that Scottish MPs (and Scotland in general) are some kind of defender of (wily, cuddly) foxes is moronic, as is the concomitant implication that Scottish MPs/Scotland is standing up for the (wily, cuddly) "little guy" against a bullying other [England]. For the cartoon to have any kind of legitimacy, it would need to have the behatted lion preventing another (English) lion from touching the fox while a pack of rabid behatted unicorns devour it in the background. But that wouldn't fit a simplistic "Scotland good/England bad" narrative.

I think the Scottish lion is a reference to Alex Salmond's comments about the 56 SNP MPs.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Coohoolin posted:

I think the Scottish lion is a reference to Alex Salmond's comments about the 56 SNP MPs.

No, it's a recurring character that's he's always used.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I don't think that cartoon is very good, but a Scottish lion is a thing, it's not something this cartoonist has made up. There is a lion on the Scottish royal standard after all. And this well known cartoon from after the '79 devolution referendum has a similar lion.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Coohoolin posted:

Niric makes a good point point though, this whole fox hunting thing makes the SNP look really loving stupid. If they were bringing in legislature to end it overall in Scotland we'd be talking, but as it stands it's hilariously hypocritical of them.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

KazigluBey posted:

Niric makes a good point point though, this whole fox hunting thing makes the SNP look really loving stupid. If they were bringing in legislature to end it overall in Scotland we'd be talking, but as it stands it's hilariously hypocritical of them.

I wish they would pass legislation for it in Scotland and I think they're on track to do so (we've discussed this in Scotpol I think).

In any case, they only intervened because there was a high request among English voters for them to do so, otherwise they'd stay on their abstaining tradition for English-only issues.

EDIT: Or maybe the comic has a far darker implication and the lion is just waiting for the English to go away so he can turn and devour the fox himself.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it benefits Scotland and the SNP if people have to go north of the border to hunt. Drives a bunch of wealthy tourists in, gains them favourable opinions from a lot of English voters, gains support in Scotland for standing up to "those bastards in parliament".

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

goatface posted:

Nah, it benefits Scotland and the SNP if people have to go north of the border to hunt. Drives a bunch of wealthy tourists in, gains them favourable opinions from a lot of English voters, gains support in Scotland for standing up to "those bastards in parliament".

Doesn't quite match up with the SNP's plans for a "Mugabe style landgrab" though, does it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You do that later, or you end up like Zimbabwe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

In any case, they only intervened because there was a high request among English voters for them to do so, otherwise they'd stay on their abstaining tradition for English-only issues.
Being at the beck and call of English voters doesn't look very good for the SNP though, unless they're really planning to start running candidates in England. Publicly telling English voters to get to gently caress might improve their standing with their traditional base of voters.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

Being at the beck and call of English voters doesn't look very good for the SNP though, unless they're really planning to start running candidates in England. Publicly telling English voters to get to gently caress might improve their standing with their traditional base of voters.

I think when it's an issue of telling the Tories to get to gently caress the base is happier alongside English voters than Tories.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
As requested in the other political cartoon thread: I will be cross-posting Steven bell's "unstoppable If..."
Disclaimer: I know a fair amount of British culture, but not enough to know most of the references or people in these comics.

So Here is the introduction and first arc....
And of course it's about the loving fox hunters, which comes up a surprising amount in this book.
Going to ground = hole up in. I guess green rubber is a thing fox hunters wear, it's mocked in other hunter comics later in the book.
The last man there is Alan Clark, notable for writing a book critical of British officers during WW1 and a diary he kept up until his death of brain cancer (which he blamed on his cell phone). I have no idea why the Nazi references on the menu, at first I thought it was the Hitler = vegetarian (Hitler Salad :laugh:) but the item under it references lebensraum, the "breathing room" ideology that fueled Nazi annexation and expansionism.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Back in business, and ain't it grand! Don't expect much in the way of context, it's mainly Jeremy Corbyn, Lord Sewell, Cecil the lion and the Calais contretemps. Right then, deep breath everybody...

Grauniads:

Labour fiddles while Rome burns - Chris Riddell on the party leadership contest

Martin Rowson on the unrest over the next Labour leader – Leadership frontrunner Jeremy Corbyn dismisses calls for party to suspend election owing to fears of ‘infiltration’ by the hard-left as Burnham rejects charges of sexism and Yvette Cooper hits out at ‘startlingly retro’ campaign

Ben Jennings on David Cameron's trip to south-east Asia – The prime minister begins a tour of south-east Asia on Monday, in a trade-and-diplomacy mission designed to extend Britain’s influence beyond the EU

Brian Adcock on Lord Sewel and the House of Lords – As Lord Sewel resigns from the upper house, a private humiliation raises the wider public issue of House of Lords reform

Brian Adcock on Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour leadership race – The long-serving MP has tapped into the strong public antipathy to slick, PR-trained politicians, careful with their soundbites, sticking close to the centre ground

Brian Adcock on David Cameron and the migrant crisis – Rights groups and opposition politicians have criticised the PM for labelling migrants a ‘swarm of people’

Brian Adock on David Cameron's response to the Calais migrant crisis – Extra sniffer dogs and fencing are to be sent to France as David Cameron warned that the Calais migrant crisis is likely to lengthen into a summer of discontent on both sides of the Channel

Torygraphs:

Indys:

19 After Matisse

Timeseseseses:

Daily Heils:

Mac on... Labour leadership candidate Jeremy Corbyn

Mac on... scandalous members of the House of Lords

Mac on... Lords cashing in on taxpayer-funded expenses

Mac on... The migrant chaos in Calais

Mac on... Lion-killing dentist Walter Palmer

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
So, uh, I haven't really been following Labour recently (think I stopped paying attention around the election), so two questions. Firstly, why do all the cartoonists hate Corbyn so much?

And secondly:
How the gently caress are the people on the back seat steering this tandem?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Mac on... The migrant chaos in Calais

Am I imagining things or is that a fairly close approximation to the hand-rubbing Jew at the front there? There's the hunch, the nose, the smirk, the facial hair... Not that Stromboli, the big-lipped black man and the Mafia guy are much better.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

So, uh, I haven't really been following Labour recently (think I stopped paying attention around the election), so two questions. Firstly, why do all the cartoonists hate Corbyn so much?

The papers (owned by tax-avoiding free-market capitalists) have spent two decades chasing the support and shaping the opinions of a section of society he's not really aiming his politics at. He is a scary mythical monster come to raise their taxes, force them all down the mines and make the house market crash on purpose just to spite them, all while making life easier for the dole-scrounging single mothers and immigrants who've never worked a day in their life or stood in the rain to catch a glimpse of the queen scowling at them out of a range rover.

I'm not entirely sure what this is trying to say, but I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cairns is STILL pissed at Carmichael.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Jesus, Cloud, posting that much from the Torygraph, Times, Heil and Indy in one go should be a crime against humanity

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reading that much Bob & Mac in one sitting is not a good idea.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Forums Terrorist posted:

Jesus, Cloud, posting that much from the Torygraph, Times, Heil and Indy in one go should be a crime against humanity

You're welcome. :unsmigghh:

Telegraph:

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May making show for Amazon

Independent:

Tony Blair's leadership intervention 'unfortunate' After Manet.

Times:

Jeremy Corbyn tops Labour constituency vote in leadership bid; Calais migrant crisis: 'French government should offer compensation'

Stephen Collins:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Welcome back Cloud Potato.

If... 6-9 July

If... 14-16 July

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jeremy Clarkson the drunken violent bigot was fired by the BBC for assaulting a producer over not getting a hot meal after turning up late and drunk but it's the BBC that's to blame. The Telegraph.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeremy Clarkson the drunken violent bigot was fired by the BBC for assaulting a producer over not getting a hot meal after turning up late and drunk but it's the BBC that's to blame. The Telegraph.

I read it as Jeremy Clarkson doing what he always wanted to do by leaving the BBC. And that he had some kind of long-term game plan in mind all along, hence his smugness. Which seems bollocks to me

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He drunkenly punched out a producer who wasn't able to secure him a steak dinner at midnight, master manipulator.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

Reading that much Bob & Mac in one sitting is not a good idea.

Yeah, makes you feel for Cloud Potato :smithcloud:

Hell yea

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Don't cry for me. I'm already dead.

Observer:

"A new political lexicon - Chris Riddell’s handy primer on modern expressions"

Sunday Telegraph:

Last week's blue moon, Calais migrant crisis: David Cameron accused of 'playing politics'

Independent on Sunday:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Speaking of dead, after three days of decent service my computer decides to pick a fine time to give up the ghost. Regular updates might be on hiatus for a while. Here's an attempt at a Kindle-post of 'toons.

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Drugs are #1, some good cartoons. :350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Posting cartoons from a Kindle is the most herculean example in that post. Move over, generic hypodermic DRUGSSSS needle!

Corbyn caricature is picking up nicely

• Locked thread