Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Not a viking posted:

Thanks for the effortpost! I'm going to link to this everytime I get into a discussion why AoS is poo poo.

So far the only negative reply has been one guy that says it's not worse than 8th :psyduck:

edit: Tell me this guy isn't a paid shill -

Raging Fucktard posted:

I've played over 20 games now and I reckon it's way more tactical,deeper,fun,faster and brutal than WFB ever was.Units match and play out like their fluff,combat and battles play out like the battle descriptions in the End Times books.The deployment rules mean you'll always have a fair game unlike WFB where you could have wrote a list only to find the list your opponent took stomps all over you before you even start.

I loved WFB,really did and my collection of armies backs that up but AoS is just more fun and exciting.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The guy has a point, AoS games do play out like battles described in the End Times.

This is not a compliment to either.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Croc Games site seems to work for me but it does take a bizarrely long time to load.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

ro5s posted:

The guy has a point, AoS games do play out like battles described in the End Times.

This is not a compliment to either.

So like.... ultimately pointless and ended by a big manpile in the middle with the two leaders banging until one dies.

Edit I meant each other.

Edit I mean with their staffs. Banging each other.

Edit I mean to hurt hurt each other. Angry banging on each other. That was a little confusing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Wargods is an OK game. Honestly it feels like they wrote the initial rules which are fairly elegant and have a good action system and then just plumb ran out of interesting things to do with them. It's like the anti-SAGA in that every turn you often feel like there isn't enough viable interesting things for you to do as opposed to having to choose between a plethora. Reminds me a bit of Celtos, or just all the old IKORE games in general actually in that it's just a little bit too boring for it's own good. Especially now that SAGA and Wrath of Kings exist.

The miniatures are great tho. Somewhere in my minis horde is most of an army of the cool little stone men. Sometimes I bust them out since they are fully painted and they get used as filler minis in random games (they have been several Mordheim warbands, SAGA Danes, etc etc).

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Idiot posted:

I've played over 20 games now and I reckon it's way more tactical,deeper,fun,faster and brutal than WFB ever was.Units match and play out like their fluff,combat and battles play out like the battle descriptions in the End Times books.The deployment rules mean you'll always have a fair game unlike WFB where you could have wrote a list only to find the list your opponent took stomps all over you before you even start.

I loved WFB,really did and my collection of armies backs that up but AoS is just more fun and exciting.

*plays a hundred games of Warhammer, never learns to write a decent list*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Crocodile Games site finally came up for me. It looks like they're doing off-site backing if you missed the kickstarter! But... only for a handful of armies and it's a pretty hefty buy-in.

I'm actually very excited for the Hydra and Harpies - I've been stockpiling old metal Dark Elves, I'm totally into having more figures that matches the old style. Plus I can probably find stuff from this line that would roll nicely into a Cult of Slaanesh list. That Wendigo ice sorceress is perfect, but doesn't seem to come independent of the starter army.

e: Cool, the LE ice witch is just a different non-levitating pose!

moths fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 25, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Units match and play out like their fluff,combat and battles play out like the battle descriptions in the End Times books.

A goblin hitting a dragon on a 5+/4+. A Goblin hitting a snottling on a 5+/4+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MT_y23pis

LordAba fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 25, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Took this photo at Guardian Games in Portland:

In stock: at least 80 copies of Age of Sigmor, many prominently displayed. I didn't see any games being played. Told an employee I was really happy to see Kings of War in stock, "now that GW have destroyed Warhammer Fantasy." Got a nod from that but no comment. They still had plenty of 8th edition fantasy stuff in stock (and not discounted, that I could see). It's an enormous store: $4M of stock, apparently.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The deployment rules mean you'll always have a fair game unlike WFB where you could have wrote a list only to find the list your opponent took stomps all over you before you even start.

You put down a unit of 20 goblin Spearmen
I put down a unit of 60 Chaos Warriors
You put down a unit of 10 Arrer Boys
I put down a unit of 60 Chosen
You put down a second unit of Goblin spearmen with a Goblin Warboss.
I put down a unit of Chaos Knights led by Archaon.

We both marvel at the magical balance that has been achieved.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I used to love one of my units, a large unit of goblins modeled to be totally useless, they had sharpened sticks for weapons and random garbage as shields. They cost like 80 points in total and it was great to have people see how poo poo they were and slam into them, so they gave up 1/6 of their game to smash a unit that was worthless to me. Now at least they can be actually totally worthless.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Leperflesh posted:

Took this photo at Guardian Games in Portland:

In stock: at least 80 copies of Age of Sigmor, many prominently displayed. I didn't see any games being played. Told an employee I was really happy to see Kings of War in stock, "now that GW have destroyed Warhammer Fantasy." Got a nod from that but no comment. They still had plenty of 8th edition fantasy stuff in stock (and not discounted, that I could see). It's an enormous store: $4M of stock, apparently.

I used to work for an Indie stockist and have still maintained contact with the old staff, and they said Age of Sigmar has been a nightmarish release because of the amount of people that come in and go 'Haha loving games workshop am I right??? you have kings of war though cool!'

Because it gets old after the zillionith time. That's not saying you're wrong in what you said, just be aware doing this at any FLGS will make you one of Those Guys to the staff.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Lol in my Warseer thread someone came in told me to stop whining and STFU.

Thread immediately 'locked pending investigation'.

How long before I get a warning for disturbing the peace?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

TKIY posted:

Lol in my Warseer thread someone came in told me to stop whining and STFU.

Thread immediately 'locked pending investigation'.

How long before I get a warning for disturbing the peace?

link please

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Good old :hawseer:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I used to love one of my units, a large unit of goblins modeled to be totally useless, they had sharpened sticks for weapons and random garbage as shields. They cost like 80 points in total and it was great to have people see how poo poo they were and slam into them, so they gave up 1/6 of their game to smash a unit that was worthless to me. Now at least they can be actually totally worthless.

Can you post a pic of this unit, it sounds amazing.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

hooman posted:

Can you post a pic of this unit, it sounds amazing.

I have since put all my stuff into storage, so I can't but they were all identical warhammer quest goblins, but I cut the spears and kitbashed random crap as the hand weapons and anything remotely flat leftover from another kit replaced the shields.

Here's the base model I used.

Imagine tons of these stupid little fuckers standing out in the open alone. How can you not squash them?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a more fun drink to fill your cup with when playing Dwardin or Horsieguys? Personally I like Viking Blood, but is it too chaos?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Love those guys! I converted so many of those things over the years, at some point I even made a bunch into into Skaven Gutter-runners.

e: Wow, I found that thread and it's not even a little surprising that a sincere discussion of AoS flaws gets the GET DOWN STAY DOWN!'d by mods...

I like to imagine that their "investigation" involves science in some way.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 26, 2015

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Today, I won what is probably the last Fantasy league at my FLGS. What a miserable time to get decent at the game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

link please

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411987-Not-just-points-What-s-wrong-with-AoS

I reported the STFU post and the thread got locked within about ten minutes.

Now to make this even more amusing, I actually played two games of AoS tonight with the one guy in my group who is trying so hard to make it work. As much as the system just makes me roll my eyes he's a good guy and I'm not going to stop playing with him just because AoS sucks.

Game one, 100 wounds my HE versus his Beastmen was his guys walking through two turns of withering fire to get the dregs of his army destroyed by my Griffon Prince, Flamespyre Phoenix and Swordmasters. I lost maybe fifteen models. My only real decisions were which units to annihilate first. Battleshock alone killed something like twenty models in the first two turns of shooting. Boring game.

Game two though, was a *real gem*, 65 wounds with lots of monsters. I took Tzeentch themed WoC because shooting is stupidly overpowered. He brought all Minotaurs and monsters. 65 wounds and I had 17 models thanks to some wound heavy models like Dragon Ogres, a Chariot and a Mutalith. He had 11 models and got the Sudden Victory bullshit bonus. He called for assassination of my Lord on Disc which was deployed close to his Cygor since the stuff is only declared after deployment. He had first turn, moved up, threw a rock, and did 6 wounds to my general, game over. I lost the game without actually even playing. No bullshit, no STDH, move-throw-win.

Of course we played out the rest of the game which consisted of pretty much exactly this: I summon a Demon Prince, ram it into his Minotaur unit, kill two, die when the minotaurs hit back. This exact same sequence happened three turns in a row.

I'm not going to call this a waste of an evening, the guy is a good guy and we've played a ton over the last few years but he just says how much fun he's having. It's like playing fetch with my dog, stupid and boring but her little tail is wagging so I guess I'll throw the ball again.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TKIY posted:

Game two though, was a *real gem*, 65 wounds with lots of monsters. I took Tzeentch themed WoC because shooting is stupidly overpowered. He brought all Minotaurs and monsters. 65 wounds and I had 17 models thanks to some wound heavy models like Dragon Ogres, a Chariot and a Mutalith. He had 11 models and got the Sudden Victory bullshit bonus. He called for assassination of my Lord on Disc which was deployed close to his Cygor since the stuff is only declared after deployment. He had first turn, moved up, threw a rock, and did 6 wounds to my general, game over. I lost the game without actually even playing. No bullshit, no STDH, move-throw-win.

That's not the rule. The rule is, he gets to call for the assassination sudden death option, and then you pick a leader model he has to kill. Unless that was your only leader, you could have selected one that was better protected.

It's still idiotic of course. But I'm enjoying pointing out how people's misreading of the rules, on balance, tends to be "we thought it worked this way because that made a little sense" vs. the real rule which makes less sense. (Sudden death is pretty loving useless if, knowing you'll probably have more models than your opponent, you can trivially protect yourself from every sudden death option he has.)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My only other character was a sorceror on foot so I chose the tougher model :/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

'm not going to call this a waste of an evening, the guy is a good guy and we've played a ton over the last few years but he just says how much fun he's having. It's like playing fetch with my dog, stupid and boring but her little tail is wagging so I guess I'll throw the ball again.
Your dog actually gets needed exercise and coordination skills from that activity, though.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Age of Sigmar: Leaves a worse taste in your mouth than Human Centipede.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TKIY posted:

My only other character was a sorceror on foot so I chose the tougher model :/

Ahah! Age of Sigmar's balancing mechanic, working as intended!

Next time, you'll know to bring a Nagash model stashed away in your bag, so if your opponent stops deploying and has fewer models on the table, you'll remember the trivial way to protect yourself from this sudden death option.

Balanced.

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Serious AoS question, Is there anything approaching a consensus regarding which house rules are required to make the game playable? Same question regarding a points system.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

enrious posted:

Serious AoS question, Is there anything approaching a consensus regarding which house rules are required to make the game playable? Same question regarding a points system.

I think this is the point system getting the most traction or, at least, the one that I hope takes off:

https://sites.google.com/site/ageofsigmarsdk/pointtables

We played using it Friday night and it showed promise.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

WAR FOOT posted:

I used to work for an Indie stockist and have still maintained contact with the old staff, and they said Age of Sigmar has been a nightmarish release because of the amount of people that come in and go 'Haha loving games workshop am I right??? you have kings of war though cool!'

Because it gets old after the zillionith time. That's not saying you're wrong in what you said, just be aware doing this at any FLGS will make you one of Those Guys to the staff.

Out of curiosity, are people actually playing KoW in droves, or is GW still selling?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

spectralent posted:

Out of curiosity, are people actually playing KoW in droves, or is GW still selling?

Not to my knowledge. No one in my neck of the woods was touching KOW or even considered it until "The End Times" came around. Only with Age of Sigmar people have started going "gently caress it, let's try King of War".

Barely anything Age of Sigmar related here has sold either.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shadoer posted:

Not to my knowledge. No one in my neck of the woods was touching KOW or even considered it until "The End Times" came around. Only with Age of Sigmar people have started going "gently caress it, let's try King of War".

Barely anything Age of Sigmar related here has sold either.

To be fair, I wouldn't have assumed the GW knockoff game would become hugely popular until GW screwed the pooch, so I'd have only expected it to start selling well after Warhammer was dead. I'm just wondering if people are going "AoS sucks, glad to see you've got mantic!" and buying a ton of mantic stuff, or if they're just gloating.

Also read TKIY's thread. How are people going "This is bad but it was bad last edition, ergo it's fine". Did everyone suffer some kind of haemmorage and forget rules editions are meant to be aware of flaws in the previous edition and try and fix them, rather than loving up all over again in the same way but worse? :psyduck:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

spectralent posted:

Also read TKIY's thread. How are people going "This is bad but it was bad last edition, ergo it's fine". Did everyone suffer some kind of haemmorage and forget rules editions are meant to be aware of flaws in the previous edition and try and fix them, rather than loving up all over again in the same way but worse? :psyduck:

Honestly it's either people in denial or just shilling.

The change to 8th did get people made, just like the End Times got people made. Both made some major changes to the game that people either liked or didn't like, but a lot of it came down to a matter of taste.

Age of Sigmar is just horseshit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Shadoer posted:

Honestly it's either people in denial or just shilling.

The change to 8th did get people made, just like the End Times got people made. Both made some major changes to the game that people either liked or didn't like, but a lot of it came down to a matter of taste.

Age of Sigmar is just horseshit.

We should also remember that brand loyalty is a hell of a drug. There are a lot of people who have decided that, for better or worse, GW as a company best represents them in some way. Anyone attacking GW's practices and decisions is therefore attacking them personally, too. It happens with everything from sports teams to political parties to soda brands, so I'm not a bit surprised to see it happen with toy soldiers jewel-like objects of etc.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't forget the antisocial nerd factor, you're not just blaspheming against their tribe, you're violating their sacred unbreachable funzone where everyone is freely accepting of any personal failings you might exhibit that only bother mundanes (such as basic hygiene, eye contact, the ability to resolve conflicts without passive aggressive behavior &c &c)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's funny to read the AoS fans complaining in that Warseer thread that Warseer as a community is biased against GW, and that's why there are more negative sentiment than among actual gamers. At Warseer. I can only think of dakkadakka and bols as bigger collections of GW fanboys.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
don't worry, when it all goes down in complete flames until there nothing left they'll either shut up forever, claim they just wanted to give it a fair shot, or deny everything and claim they hated it all along.

idk tho since my reference point is politics and video games but I'm willing to believe tabletop gamers are made of worse stuff than nazis and sonic fans

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

spectralent posted:

Sales of both are pretty low. If anything, Age of Sigmar seems to have killed interest in ranked fantasy battles. Saga and Warmachine remain largely unaffected, as those playing them were already playing them. Age of Sigmar was one of the weakest Indie Releases, by all accounts. I imagine this is because people who visit indie stockists in Australia are usually burnt out on GW products already, and those that aren't will buy from their local GW. Since release, the stockist in question has sold 3 Age of Sigmar boxes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

Since release, the stockist in question has sold 3 Age of Sigmar boxes.

:stonklol:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

As an Australian there is no way I would every pay GW RRP for anything here so it was eBay all the way for my sojourn with 8th edition. I honestly have no idea how any of their stuff sells over here it just grates me how much more expensive it is. Could be worse, we could be New Zealand I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I talked to my FLGS manager yesterday. He was pretty down on AoS, although he thought it'd be okay with points (my response was maybe a little ruder than it should've been but we have a good rapport). GW tried to sell them 80 copies. He didn't tell me how many they ended up buying, but they've sold 16 sets and have a couple more on the shelf. He didn't seem pleased at all with the 16 sets figure (it's a very big store) and it doesn't sound like there's any more customer interest or that he'll be giving AoS any more support than for, say, Dropzone Commander.

So I bought Frostgrave, Gardens of Morr, and some Walls & Fences!

Edit: not at MSRP, obviously.

• Locked thread