Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think Tom Clancy got investigated by DOD after Hunt for Red October was published, because apparently he made some really good guesses about how classified submarine tech worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SaltyJesus posted:

You might be thinking about Kubrick and the apparently astonishingly accurate interiors of B-52 in Dr. Strangelove.

Also when the second unit was filming aerial footage for the B-52 scenes they accidentally filmed a secret US military base in Greenland. They were forced to land and their stuff was thoroughly inspected because the military thought they might be Soviet spies.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also when the second unit was filming aerial footage for the B-52 scenes they accidentally filmed a secret US military base in Greenland. They were forced to land and their stuff was thoroughly inspected because the military thought they might be Soviet spies.

If it was Thule they were lucky they didn't start an international incident, jesus. That base is for monitoring bombers/missiles coming over the pole.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think Tom Clancy got investigated by DOD after Hunt for Red October was published, because apparently he made some really good guesses about how classified submarine tech worked.

Bear in mind that any such claims are from Tom Clancy himself and quite likely fictional as a way of bigging up his works.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was under the impression that there is no Tom Clancy, it's just an cabal of ghostwriters :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mierenneuker posted:

I was under the impression that there is no Tom Clancy, it's just an cabal of ghostwriters :v:

'Tom Clancy' is actually a video game development company that also writes adaptations of their own games.

While their game development time is usually pretty long, their story-writing process isn't, leading to the appearance of an actual author's release schedule.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Specifically it's the "Red Route One" sequence where the Red October uses a maze of underwater rock formations to hide because it uses a top-secret laser gravimeter to navigate, which uses a laser to measure the minute distortions in a sheet of metal (if I remember it correctly). Turned out that was an actual classified device the USN were working on at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

That was true for anything written post The Bear and the Dragon but before that was him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I was really into Tom Clancy in the second grade even reading his nonfiction poo poo about tanks and so forth but then at some point it became clear he'd been bodysnatched
It feels weird, looking back, me as a kid being really into airport fiction

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I was really into Tom Clancy in the second grade even reading his nonfiction poo poo about tanks and so forth but then at some point it became clear he'd been bodysnatched

You aren't alone, I liked it too. Where in the spectrum do you fall?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Jack Ryan's wife's underboob.

He was really into it.

Little bitty titties.

The machine is still on Moira.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chichevache posted:

You aren't alone, I liked it too. Where in the spectrum do you fall?
Rainbow Spectrum: A Clear and Present Bear and Dragon

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm up to season 4 of The Wire and just now found out that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_Down_in_the_Hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZZu93VsNA

was originally written by Tom Waits.

It looks like he recorded the song for season 2 but all the other seasons were by different artists.

And Leonard Cohen did the opening title song for True Detective season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3HbrfV0hJM

They're only two of my favorite singer songwriters.

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Jul 23, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Next up I plan on not recognizing The National, Lana del Rey, Nick Cave and Amanda Palmer singing my favorite sad songs over a tv show or movie credits with my dumb goony ears.

Gonna qualify for a hearing ear dog.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I'm glad I'm not the only Peaky Blinders fan. :hfive:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In The Kingsman at the end there's a very random scene where the main character gets offered up buttsex from a kidnapped princess if he saves the world. He does and returns to her cell, finds it locked and asks for the code.

It winds up being 2625.

2625 spells ANAL on a keypad.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In Ant Man, D FENS finally makes it to work after a 22 year long traffic jam that sun bleached the color out of his glasses to clear.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What's with fashionable old dudes in translucent glasses nowadays? Is that a thing in places other than superhero movies?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Coffee And Pie posted:

What's with fashionable old dudes in translucent glasses nowadays? Is that a thing in places other than superhero movies?

Non-translucent glasses tend to stymie whatever they're trying to accomplish

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Back when Hank Pym was trying to get to work his frames were black along the browline. I think clear frames are for looking like you're the future.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

syscall girl posted:

Next up I plan on not recognizing The National, Lana del Rey, Nick Cave and Amanda Palmer singing my favorite sad songs over a tv show or movie credits with my dumb goony ears.

Gonna qualify for a hearing ear dog.

Here's Nick Cave and Neko Case doing an awesome duet of "She's Not There":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBX4H06FWd8

It was recorded for True Blood, which I've never seen a single episode of. From what I've heard of the show, even having two of my favorite singers cover one of my favorite songs doesn't make me want to watch it.

And, of course, The National covered "Rains of Castamere" for GoT.

On the topic of music in TV shows, during a bar scene in season one of The Wire, Gram Parsons' fantastically bleak "Streets of Baltimore" can be heard playing really quietly in the background.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jul 26, 2015

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Just watching the Fighter and there is the season after Mickey decides to give up on fighting and is in the bathroom listening to the radio. The radio report is talking about Dickey Englund's HBO special and he turns it off right before they talk about the Cracktown special. He could of known what they were filming and warned everyone before the special aired if he had kept the radio on for a few seconds.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In the new movie Pixels (which really isn't as bad as the reviewers claim), the character of Max Headdroom is voiced by Matt Frewer, which is really :3:

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jul 28, 2015

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

MisterBibs posted:

In the new movie Pixels (which really isn't as bad as the reviewers claim), the character of Max Headdroom is voiced by Matt Frewer, which is really :3:

How is a character being voiced by the person who always voices him a subtle movie moment?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Brocktoon posted:

How is a character being voiced by the person who always voices him a subtle movie moment?

Well, that character's clearly a cameo, and one quite out of place for the movie itself. So it seems like it's a neat little nod done right, which is especially nice to see from a movie that's quite content not to give a gently caress in any other way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A good subtle joke from early Futurama is when they go to the robot planet Chapek 9, named after the Czech writer who came up with the term robot, Karel Capek.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Brocktoon posted:

Because it'd be really easy to be :effort: and get some rando to do the (very few) lines?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Back to the Future: During the opening credits, you see Doc's automated wake-up breakfast machine make a couple of pieces of horribly burned toast. When I was a kid, I just thought either "Oh, that Doc is a weird dude who likes burnt toast" or "Silly Doc, his machine doesn't work right." I'm rewatching it for a fiftieth time right now and I just realized that the machine works fine, it's just that Doc has been away for a few days (as evidenced by the dog food bowl overflowing) and the toaster has been re-toasting the same pieces of bread every day. Duh.

EDIT: At dinner, when George pours himself a bowl of peanut brittle, there's a enormous case of it right behind him and a couple of more boxes on the kitchen counter. It's a weird little detail, but there's a deleted scene that explains bow he got it and why Marty looks at it with such disdain at the dinner table. I can see why it was deleted though, its point of "George is the world's most gigantic doormat" was already established in the scene with Biff right before it.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Jul 31, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

During the opening credits of the newest Godzilla film they have text around all the names that gets quickly redacted. On the Blu-Ray or DVD if you pause before the text is redacted it has jokes or actual background on the monsters.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A nice little nod for comic book geeks

In the beginning of Ant-man, Michael Douglas' character brushes off inquires to his time as the Ant-Man as "Tales to Astonish"

Tales to Astonish is the comic book series that Ant-Man first appeared in.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CzarChasm posted:

A nice little nod for comic book geeks

In the beginning of Ant-man, Michael Douglas' character brushes off inquires to his time as the Ant-Man as "Tales to Astonish"

Tales to Astonish is the comic book series that Ant-Man first appeared in.

I thought Evil Baldman said that?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Inzombiac posted:

I thought Evil Baldman said that?

IIRC he said it as a sort of quote from Michael Douglas. "You always said [Ant Man] was made up, a Tale to Astonish" or something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Guardians of the Galaxy when Quill catches the infinity stone it blows his hair back and it looked real familiar for some reason.

This was used as an ad for Maxell cassette tapes back in the 80s.

e: I may be reaching but watch it again and see if you can unsee it

cassette tapes! :tinfoil:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
If we're doing voices, then the cat in Coraline is pretty good. Keith David. AKA the voice of Goliath in Gargoyles. A protector of humans much like the feline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At the beginning of The Prestige when Angier is reading Borden's journal it opens with him talking about how "we were two young men at the beginning of a great career." You're left to assume he's talking about himself and Angier instead of his twin.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Alien, they burn Ash to death.

Ash.

Me irl watching it last night

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

In Alien, they burn Ash to death.

Ash.

Except Ash is actually taken down by Parker beheading him with a fire extinguisher, and when he's set on fire he melts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Look, don't be a jerk ok

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

At the beginning of The Prestige when Angier is reading Borden's journal it opens with him talking about how "we were two young men at the beginning of a great career." You're left to assume he's talking about himself and Angier instead of his twin.

My favorite thing about The Prestige how it constantly beats you around the head with stuff like this, and then the ending monologue mocks you for not spotting them all. It's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Back to the Future: During the opening credits, you see Doc's automated wake-up breakfast machine make a couple of pieces of horribly burned toast. When I was a kid, I just thought either "Oh, that Doc is a weird dude who likes burnt toast" or "Silly Doc, his machine doesn't work right." I'm rewatching it for a fiftieth time right now and I just realized that the machine works fine, it's just that Doc has been away for a few days (as evidenced by the dog food bowl overflowing) and the toaster has been re-toasting the same pieces of bread every day. Duh.

EDIT: At dinner, when George pours himself a bowl of peanut brittle, there's a enormous case of it right behind him and a couple of more boxes on the kitchen counter. It's a weird little detail, but there's a deleted scene that explains bow he got it and why Marty looks at it with such disdain at the dinner table. I can see why it was deleted though, its point of "George is the world's most gigantic doormat" was already established in the scene with Biff right before it.

Pathetic characters also toe a fine line between sympathetic and intolerably unlikable. George getting bullied by Biff makes you sympathise with him as you can understand the situation. Seeing him give in to a pushy neighbour over such a meaningless thing just makes you want to slap the man. Good decision to leave that scene out.