Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

$294 a month, even with $312 management fees, is super cheap for a mortgage.

Yeah, we have low property values here. Especially so when he bought 14 years ago when the building was converted from social housing to condos. He paid about $50,000 at the time, it's likely worth $150,000 now just through the magic of an overheated market. It was originally a 40 year term, I think he has brought it down, but those management fees are sky high.

VVV The lone perk he has is that his water is included. There is a patch of grass about 40 square feet out in front which I guess someone has to take care of, plus shoveling in the winter.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antifreeze Head posted:

those management fees are sky high.

Depends on what he gets for them. Shared pool, fancy landscaping, utilities paid, free repairs, etc.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

$294 a month, even with $312 management fees, is super cheap for a mortgage.

That doesn't even rent me a bedroom in the SF Bay Area.

Bad With Money: Living in the SF Bay Area

edit: a 40-year term on a $50,000 mortgage hahaha

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wow, a 50k mortgage? 50k is a downpayment here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
wow a 50k downpayment? maybe for a parking space here

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

wow a 50k downpayment? maybe for a parking space here

wow a parking space? maybe for a storage locker and a poop bucket here

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well lah dee dah mr poops in a bucket has a bucket to poop in

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inverse Icarus posted:

wow a parking space? maybe for a storage locker and a poop bucket here

If your last name is Rockefeller maybe. 50k barely covers rent at the horse barn.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
$50,000? That's barely $50,000 here.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

$50,000? That's barely $50,000 here.

I tell you what I'll cut you a deal on a truck, horse and I'll even throw in a free flight for myself.

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.
This is from Facebook.

"So you know how I was raving about my new "standard" 3% interest rate on student loans? The guy I talked to was a D.A. Not only did my payment NOT stay the same, it doubled and my interest tripled. Literally it was half of our mortgage payment for HALF of my student loans. Good news though - he was also wrong with the "qualifying for Rate Reduction" part. I do indeed qualify. My favorite questions of the conversation with Mr. Knew What He was Doing: Why didn't you finish school? I got pregnant and was so sick I got dizzy moving and I was not allowed to drive I physically could not go to school. When I had my baby I had almost 4k I owed to the school because I had to drop out mid-semester, we didn't have the money with the doc bills to pay that off immediately to allow me to return to go to school. Do you plan on going back to school? No. Why? With $120,000 in student debt, significant chunks have to be taken out before I consider it. Yes that's right. I owe $60,000 in Federal loans and $60,000 in private loans. Will you ever make more money? Oh good grief I hope so - but Colorado is the 4th most expensive state in the U.S. to put children into daycare. The chance of putting two girls in day care and attempting to find a job to cover the costs of that without a degree is not good, I spent 4 years searching for something that would cover Ash's daycare alone before we had Kyrie. I will likely continue to take in money where I can get it until the girls are in school, and then I can take on a job that will only pay me $10-12 an hour. It's silly how when I was going to school I figured it would be easy to get a job after. When I graduated H.S. in 2000 I had no issue getting good jobs, even above the minimum wage I held a few jobs from 2000 until 2008. I assumed that all schooling was good, even if I something were to happen and I didn't graduate, I expected to I could still get a job at least working something like I did while going to school where I was making $11.50. It was always easy to find a job, I had good steady employment. When you are in school and they keep puffing up how awesome a private education is, how amazing your job after college will be, you don't realize you're getting smoke blown up your bum. I was always under the impression that any education was going to be helpful. My one regret in life honestly was going to AiC. Oh how stupid I was, and there's no way to go back, no way to see the stupidity that I had being naive and young. No way of getting out of this debt that is suffocating my family. So every month we'll make a marginal payment to this huge cost and every month wait for the day that I can get us out of the "rate reduction program" and pay significant amounts toward the principle. Why do I want U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders for president? Because I don't want another person to have to suffer for a simple naive mistake they made in their twenties. Because I don't want to watch another family go down in flames because their student debt is suffocating them and demanding a mortgage-size payment from them (before rate reduction and Income Based Repayment plans are in effect they asked for $1287 a month. Roughly $250 more than our mortgage.) Because I believe that if we are going to offer loans assistance companies, banks, or big business at 1.5% interest a student loan shouldn't be allowed to get to 9.5%. Because I believe that the minimum wage is not just carried on the shoulders of 16-17 year olds, but on many adults trying to contribute to their families welfare. The minimum wage is on people who are burdened with things out of their control that prohibit their ability to "negotiate a better wage" or "get a better job." A living wage is a necessity, especially if going to school doesn't help you, or isn't an option. I want Bernie for President because I believe he is fighting for ME and not for big business, schools, and billionaires. I believe he sees that some parts of our system are so broken that the only way they are going to be fixed is by the government stepping in. Companies are looking out for shareholders, for their bottom dollar. Schools aren't looking to educate and enrich our people but to bring in money. Billionaires simply don't see the way it is in the layman or with the impoverished people. The American Government needs to look out for its people."

I feel bad for her and her family; and I know if people waited until their finances were perfect most people would never have kids. Her older daughter was one year away from kindergarten age when they had their second daughter.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Night Witch posted:

I feel bad for her and her family; and I know if people waited until their finances were perfect most people would never have kids. Her older daughter was one year away from kindergarten age when they had their second daughter.

On facebook the posts I see are "don't want kids" although some of these friends struggle with everyday life let alone having to look after anyone else, and then the rest say they can't afford to have kids. I have a lot of poor friends, although being poor and working to just get by is all too common. At least they are making rational decisions rather than just getting pregnant and figuring out that it wasn't a good idea after the fact.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Night Witch posted:

Person who got hosed by a for-profit college, medical bills, and high childcare costs

To be fair it seems like this person thought they were doing a really good thing (getting a degree) but were straight-up exploited. I get no pleasure from this. There but for the grace of god go I. I mean poo poo one (1) decision different in what school I went to and I'd be there too.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I prefer the New Zealand system for loans. They are all through the Government and even if you rack up $120k of debt the worst situation you will be in is that above a certain income you pay 12% towards the loan. No interest charged so the worst that will happen is that you have a repayment for the rest of your life that isn't crippling.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I prefer the New Zealand system for loans. They are all through the Government and even if you rack up $120k of debt the worst situation you will be in is that above a certain income you pay 12% towards the loan. No interest charged so the worst that will happen is that you have a repayment for the rest of your life that isn't crippling.

US student loans mostly work like this too, a few details notwithstanding; the huge majority are issued under the auspices of the federal government and there is income based repayment capped at a percentage of your income above basic cost of living with forgiveness of the balance after a bunch of years

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The good news is that in addition to 120k in loans and no degree she also has a mortgage. Building equity!

What's AiC? Art Institute?

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.

Thesaurus posted:

The good news is that in addition to 120k in loans and no degree she also has a mortgage. Building equity!

I'm not sure, she's one of those friend of a friend acquaintances. I imagine very few people start out at those for profit schools thinking of the total cost of the school, and then when they find themselves with so many other people in the same situation those loans look reasonable.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Thesaurus posted:

Art Institute of CO?

I'm fortunate that our class action suit against our for profit school was successful. Of course I pissed it all away by being extraordinarily BWM, but at least I'm not in crazy debt to a student loan company - CC debt on the other hand :smithicide:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Anyone that says poor people shouldn't have kids because they have debts or have a low income is a piece of poo poo with no compassion and empathy. We live in a society.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

cowofwar posted:

We live in a society.

We sure do! What's your point?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Anyone that says poor people shouldn't have kids because they have debts or have a low income is a piece of poo poo with no compassion and empathy. We live in a society.

Does the same go for those who create inequality to the point where people realise they can't afford kids, a house or to repay their student loans?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cowofwar posted:

Considering being poor growing up is the primary indicator of failing at life later on, it's not a logical fallacy to argue that it is the poor parents who have no compassion and empathy, and are in fact child abusers because they are having children while poor.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
lets not derail this thread into something stupid, again.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

The Nards Pan posted:

Art Institute of CO?

The Money Pit Institute of Colorado.

27 Google Reviews 2.5/5 stars
https://plus.google.com/113753839111245825054/

6 Reviews 2 stars
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-art-institute-of-colorado-denver

Wow. You know your art school is poo poo when they can't even manage to pull positive reviews on yelp. Hell, that you're even on loving yelp.

At this point, I think it would be cheaper, easier, and more educational to shoot yourself in the foot, deal with the medical bills, and go on with your life than attend an Art Institute.

Sepherothic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 25, 2015

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
A friend/coworker of mine got a BFA in photography from a private university as an out of state student. She now realizes how stupid it was. I don't know the exact amount, but I do know she has a gently caress load of student debt.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Futurist is saying a lot of countries will have 40-50% unemployment due to automation. Countries are bad with money and people.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/70524681/futurist-gerd-leonhard-predicts-50-per-cent-unemployment

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Devian666 posted:

Futurist is saying a lot of countries will have 40-50% unemployment due to automation. Countries are bad with money and people.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/70524681/futurist-gerd-leonhard-predicts-50-per-cent-unemployment
Haven't people been saying that for 150 years now?

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I knew a guy who didn't know that if you lost your phone, you could get a new one without signing for a new plan, so he had two or three subscriptions running; mostly for phones he couldn't find. Also bought a brand new truck and had the tailgate stolen off it the night he took it home. Apparently that's a thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dik Hz posted:

Haven't people been saying that for 150 years now?

Yeah pretty much.

My job used to involve spending 45 minutes a day saving and renaming email attachments. I wrote a script to do that so I can, you know, do something worth my time, and my coworkers freaked the gently caress out.

Six months later, script is still going, no one got laid off and somehow I'm still busy all day :iiam:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

A friend/coworker of mine got a BFA in photography from a private university as an out of state student. She now realizes how stupid it was. I don't know the exact amount, but I do know she has a gently caress load of student debt.

One of my relatives wants to go to the Visible Music School. :cry:

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Devian666 posted:

I think those percentage seem high, but you don't need to look to the future to see how automation has increased unemployment. Sure, there are a lot of IT jobs available, but many of the non-IT jobs that existed 20 years ago don't exist today. Telling all those people to learn how to do IT work isn't a great solution.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Sepherothic posted:

The Money Pit Institute of Colorado.

27 Google Reviews 2.5/5 stars
https://plus.google.com/113753839111245825054/

6 Reviews 2 stars
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-art-institute-of-colorado-denver

Wow. You know your art school is poo poo when they can't even manage to pull positive reviews on yelp. Hell, that you're even on loving yelp.

At this point, I think it would be cheaper, easier, and more educational to shoot yourself in the foot, deal with the medical bills, and go on with your life than attend an Art Institute.

Going to anything less than a 4 star university is BWM

Devian666 posted:

The correct term for these people is Luddites

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ProSlayer posted:

I think those percentage seem high, but you don't need to look to the future to see how automation has increased unemployment. Sure, there are a lot of IT jobs available, but many of the non-IT jobs that existed 20 years ago don't exist today. Telling all those people to learn how to do IT work isn't a great solution.

New technology in power machinery, fertilizers, pesticides and genetic engineering took agriculture from employing 80% of the population in the US to 2% of the population in about 130 years.

It turns out that 78% of the population found other things to do.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
True automated factories are very few, they still require humans to be around in some capacity. There are a few factories that are completed automated, and the thought is these will be the norm in the very short future. This means that countries like China and India are going to have a problem when the Western countries can now produce equally cheap poo poo without human suffering (ironically, creating human suffering maybe even longer term).

If we move to complete automation, where even our supermarkets are stocked by robots of some kind, then yes the jobs will decrease. I think the difference between the aforementioned automation and the automation of the industrial revolution is the net number of jobs created. If robots could create robots then if that number even considers approaching 0 there will be problems.

this is all theoretical bullshit and it will be really interesting how people and governments react to this level of automation. I'm looking forward to the clusterfuck that it will create!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

canyoneer posted:

New technology in power machinery, fertilizers, pesticides and genetic engineering took agriculture from employing 80% of the population in the US to 2% of the population in about 130 years.

It turns out that 78% of the population found other things to do.

If humans lived 260 years, that'd be a huge problem. Change is happening more rapidly now.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Automation will undoubtedly eliminate tons of jobs, but they're the jobs that are barely worthy of a human brain. At some point, humanoid machines will have enough battery capacity and processing power to run all day and interact with the world around them.

At that point, the only real question is: What will we do with all the useless people? Once I can buy a machine that can mow my lawn, wash my dishes, and grill a steak, and once food production, manufacturing, and transportation are mostly automated, people who aren't capable of doing things robots can't (practical application of abstract thought, judgement, and creativity) will be economically obsolete.

One optimistic theory is that the robots produce enough value to keep them fat, dumb, and happy in their meatbag ghettos.

Another theory is that the ignorant masses will grow discontent with the inevitable income disparity, and we'll have to activate the hunter-killer AI modules.

Reality will likely be somewhere in between. Either way, I support anyone who wants to make birth control mandatory with a $1000 license before you reproduce. The future is coming, and there are too many people for it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

High Lord Elbow posted:

Automation will undoubtedly eliminate tons of jobs, but they're the jobs that are barely worthy of a human brain. At some point, humanoid machines will have enough battery capacity and processing power to run all day and interact with the world around them.

At that point, the only real question is: What will we do with all the useless people? Once I can buy a machine that can mow my lawn, wash my dishes, and grill a steak, and once food production, manufacturing, and transportation are mostly automated, people who aren't capable of doing things robots can't (practical application of abstract thought, judgement, and creativity) will be economically obsolete.

One optimistic theory is that the robots produce enough value to keep them fat, dumb, and happy in their meatbag ghettos.

Another theory is that the ignorant masses will grow discontent with the inevitable income disparity, and we'll have to activate the hunter-killer AI modules.

Reality will likely be somewhere in between. Either way, I support anyone who wants to make birth control mandatory with a $1000 license before you reproduce. The future is coming, and there are too many people for it.

posting on something awful seems to be working for you so i don't see a problem tbh

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

High Lord Elbow posted:

Either way, I support anyone who wants to make birth control mandatory with a $1000 license before you reproduce.

Really digging the eugenics vibe I'm getting from this post

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Weatherman posted:

posting on something awful seems to be working for you so i don't see a problem tbh

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Countries will switch to a more 'european' work ethic. In the United States we've wrung every little bit of productivity out of workers by calling $25k year jobs 'managers' and not paying overtime and tethering people to work with cell phones or email. A few changes here and there and suddenly you've got demand for more workers.

In the long term, automation would probably make us switch back to one income households with lots more leisure time. That or dystopian New Detroit with RoboCop doing things humans used to do.

• Locked thread