Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The perception is that if prison is too nice, and not enough punishment, well, then it's "dole bludging" to the extreme. Having the tax payer pay for a person who doesn't "want" to be part of society to have a free education. while "honest working" people struggle with poor paying jobs and ending up with huge student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vagabundo posted:

If going to prison is seen as a preferable alternative to not being incarcerated, then that society has failed to begin with.

That's what I said, but what if that is the case? Should we keep prison nice? Our society already is that, for people on the lower rungs. Our society is failing

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The deprivation of liberty is a pretty big deal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Exclamation Marx posted:

The deprivation of liberty is a pretty big deal

Not big enough, apparently. And if there are benefits to taking a liberty hit for a few years.. I mean students have limited liberty in a number of ways.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does punishment/retribution itself have no place in society?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Privatise the police.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Privatise the police.

And that's how we end up with police officers killed in the line of duty being brought back as cyborg police officers. Robotic Cops, basically.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

echinopsis posted:

Not big enough, apparently. And if there are benefits to taking a liberty hit for a few years.. I mean students have limited liberty in a number of ways.

Assuming you mean primary-secondary school, that's different because they're below the age of majority. And at a whole other level from prison, even the Scandinavian ones. Punishment-as-deterrent is never going to be foolproof, which is why every year people get caught smuggling drugs into Bali.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Vagabundo posted:

And that's how we end up with police officers killed in the line of duty being brought back as cyborg police officers. Robotic Cops, basically.

They give you 30 seconds!

If you comply, you have nothing to fear.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Where are these people robbing liquor stores to get a postgraduate? If it was such a great deal, we should have some examples.

I won't accept the 60yo who is so institutionalized he can't live anywhere else, but I will accept the guy who has spent too much time drinking prison wine and doing fight club that he has to do another 2 year stretch to finish his degree.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Before anyone commits a crime they fully think through the potential consequences in a thorough and fully informed cost:benefit analysis.

Everyone is a rational actor after all.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

echinopsis posted:

The perception is that if prison is too nice, and not enough punishment, well, then it's "dole bludging" to the extreme. Having the tax payer pay for a person who doesn't "want" to be part of society to have a free education. while "honest working" people struggle with poor paying jobs and ending up with huge student loans.

People in countries where prison is "too nice" tend to pay high taxes which pay for education so they don't have huge student loans.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Teaching prisoners advanced skills means they might be able to pay tax for you in the future.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Privatise the police.

Literally have this debate two or three times a year. Same reasons, no practical method to implement other than the market will sort itself out.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

xiw posted:

Teaching prisoners advanced skills means they might be able to pay tax for you in the future.

Yeah and not just head to the nearest insecure or poorly secured home and stealing their poo poo for a hit as soon as they get released.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So are you saying you support mandatory life sentences with no chance of parole for anyone convicted of murder or voluntary manslaughter?

Anyone convicted of a vicious enough assault*, rape or murder should be executed.
Do you believe a six year jail sentence is sufficient for burning someone alive?

Acting like I'm some kind of monster just shows how loving little you care about the actual victims. Yeah, give the perpetrators light sentences, it's not like they really did anything that bad!

* Anything causing serious disability, physical or mental should be legally considered murder

Cumslut1895 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 26, 2015

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

Anyone convicted of a vicious enough assault*, rape or murder should be executed.
Do you believe a six year jail sentence is sufficient for burning someone alive?

Acting like I'm some kind of monster just shows how loving little you care about the actual victims. Yeah, give the perpetrators light sentences, it's not like they really did anything that bad!

* Anything causing serious disability, physical or mental should be legally considered murder

If you really cared about the victims you'd be in favour of prison rape. I know I am.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Cumslut1895 posted:

Did you just link an article about the murder of someone wrongfully accused of one of the crimes you consider to be worthy of capital punishment as an example of why capital punishment for serious assault is a good idea?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Did you just link an article about the murder of someone wrongfully accused of one of the crimes you consider to be worthy of capital punishment as an example of why capital punishment for serious assault is a good idea?

Murdering someone then saying 'they were totally a pedo' barely counts as an accusation. Anyway, if we're assuming court judgement are going to be wrong, imprisoning people is horrifically unethical, too.

I did have an idea about wrongful convictions though, they should be investigated like deaths of medical patients, with a board investigating peoples decisions etc.Any serious screwups would result in serious jail time, it'd be better than the opaque system we have now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Once there was a murder and the motehr of the victim was christian and said "I forgive him" and my mum was like "that is so wrong and bad how could you forgive him"

Some people just need punishment of other people. Justice for them, is seeing people punished

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Once there was a murder and the motehr of the victim was christian and said "I forgive him" and my mum was like "that is so wrong and bad how could you forgive him"

Some people just need punishment of other people. Justice for them, is seeing people punished

The only one who can forgive the murderer is the guy he killed. Have you considered if given the chance, he wouldn't?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

"The crime is life, the sentence is death!"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Kind of hosed up to make a murderer out of the person dispensing justice as well

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Its not murder its ~*justice*~

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Kind of hosed up to make a murderer out of the person dispensing justice as well

Either the person passing the sentence, or one of the main people giving evidence should have to pull the trigger.
It's not all that much worse than making a kidnapper/accessory to rape out of the person dispensing justice, which is what happens at the moment

Dragonstoned posted:

Its not murder its ~*justice*~

I don't pretend that this is particularly different from murder, I just don't really care about the people it would be happening to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cumslut1895 posted:

The only one who can forgive the murderer is the guy he killed. Have you considered if given the chance, he wouldn't?

Are you saying "I will never forgive the murderer for killing my son" is a meaningless statement

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Are you saying "I will never forgive the murderer for killing my son" is a meaningless statement

More or less.

Edit: it's worth pointing out that I'm not the biggest fan of forgiveness as a concept. for small stuff, people just forget, for large things I don't think people ever really forgive, even if they say they do

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

We should force killers to take out a student loan to study blackest necromancy, make them resurrect their victim, and call it ~*restorative justice*~

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mirthdefect posted:

We should force killers to take out a student loan to study blackest necromancy, make them resurrect their victim, and call it ~*restorative justice*~

A solution that would probably work better than real ~*restorative justice*~

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cumslut1895 posted:

More or less.

Edit: it's worth pointing out that I'm not the biggest fan of forgiveness as a concept. for small stuff, people just forget, for large things I don't think people ever really forgive, even if they say they do

Hmm, forgiveness is usually for the benefit of the wronged anyway. But if someone killed your wife, you'd be mad as gently caress. They've ruined your marriage, your best friend is now dead. Of course you can be legitimately be invested in and part of the effect of that crime.

I remember this girl from when I was young. she was out of my league and led me on. Anyway I haboured resentment about that for ages. Since I was in the church forgiveness was something we talked about. One night I called her up and forgave her. She had probably barely thought about what she had done. It was akward BUT I felt a lot better after it. Some kind of closure or something. Thanks for caring

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So hey psycho wants everyone murdered guy, what about people to take or sell drugs? Should they also be brutally killed because it's against the law?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Hmm, forgiveness is usually for the benefit of the wronged anyway. But if someone killed your wife, you'd be mad as gently caress. They've ruined your marriage, your best friend is now dead. Of course you can be legitimately be invested in and part of the effect of that crime.

I remember this girl from when I was young. she was out of my league and led me on. Anyway I haboured resentment about that for ages. Since I was in the church forgiveness was something we talked about. One night I called her up and forgave her. She had probably barely thought about what she had done. It was akward BUT I felt a lot better after it. Some kind of closure or something. Thanks for caring

Loosing your husband would suck, but actually being murdered would be a few order of magnitude worse

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

So hey psycho wants everyone murdered guy, what about people to take or sell drugs? Should they also be brutally killed because it's against the law?

One law, one nation :smug:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Cumslut1895 posted:

You are not civilised enough to be having this conversation. If you are not under 20 years of age, please seek psychiatric help for your antisocial behaviour. I am 100% not taking the piss.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

NAH BRO POLS 101 HAS OPENED MY EYES I KNOW THINGS

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

klen dool posted:

You are not civilised enough to be having this conversation. If you are not under 20 years of age, please seek psychiatric help for your antisocial behaviour. I am 100% not taking the piss.

lol okay buddy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Cumslut1895, if what you say is true I'd expect that countries with the death penalty for serious crimes would have a low-to-non-existent murder rate. Why isn't that the case?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Cumslut1895, if what you say is true I'd expect that countries with the death penalty for serious crimes would have a low-to-non-existent murder rate. Why isn't that the case?

no, there will always be psycopaths, and they'll always do poo poo like set people on fire

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

... and advocate for a blanket policy of inmate murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mirthdefect posted:

... and advocate for a blanket policy of inmate murder.

That would explain all the dead nurses in my basement.

But really, you're advocating kidnapping, assault and rape, since that's what happens in prisons atm

• Locked thread