Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sword of the Stars has really good ship combat. Sword of the Stars 2 has better tactical combat impressively enough, but that tactical combat is not attached to a working game.

Still, the differences between ships, designs, fleets, and limitations of command were quite interestingly represented in SOTS. Tons of different ships, using armor, deflectors, and shields to tank damage, with different propulsion and weapon types. It was the closest to representing the depth of something like Battletech or Starfleet battles in a fairly accessible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

peer posted:

Total War fans disagree

For the record, gameplay is also a low level priority for Games Workshop as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Naval Action's combat and sailing is incredibly good, but they're currently testing their open world stuff and it's way harder to get a decent fight in that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
shogun 2 was great, when i had a huge boat, and everyone else has tiny boats, and i could blow them up and they could decorate my invincible hull with their pathetic arrows as i sailed atop their bloated corpses

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates owns bones
except for that part where they keep re-releasing the same game since the 80s with "enhancements"

i'd pay real money for a legit pirates sequel

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

This Thursday, July 30th we will release the first pre-alpha, in-game footage of Total War:WARHAMMER in the Battle of Black Fire Pass Developer Walkthrough video.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That is some cool beans right there

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Luminark of Hysh is a magical war machine created by the Wizards of the College of Light Magic. Housing a rare, sorcerous orb, it’s capable of casting Solheim’s Bolt of Illumination, a devastating light spell. This bolt is focussed through a series of arcane lenses before leaping across the battlefield to tear the enemy asunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEOwbKhEwik

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Nice to see the Lizardmen don't have a monopoly on magic laser cannons.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So I'm not actually that familiar with Warhammer Fantasy Orcs - aside from squigs, do Orcs get any of the crazy warbeasts or warmachines of their sci-fi counterparts get that can stand up to a Steam Tank or a Luminark? Or do they rely purely on sheer numbers and being 'arder than thou?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Tomn posted:

So I'm not actually that familiar with Warhammer Fantasy Orcs - aside from squigs, do Orcs get any of the crazy warbeasts or warmachines of their sci-fi counterparts get that can stand up to a Steam Tank or a Luminark? Or do they rely purely on sheer numbers and being 'arder than thou?

Goblin shamans can ride giant spiders, they have lots of rickety rear end catapults and ballista stuff (usually crewed by goblins also) as well as the classic goblin with a spikey helmet catapulting himself into the enemy army. Think they can have trolls as well as the giants shown in the videos already.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tomn posted:

Yeah, the cobbled-together murder gear theme is more of a Skaven thing in Warhammer Fantasy than Orcs. Orcs are just the war-happy savage barbarian monster played straight as Orcishly possible.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tomn posted:

Orcs get some funny poo poo such as the the lobbas

the Spear Chukkas

and of Course the Doom Diver Catapult

Their warbeasts are Giants and trolls

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
^^Goddammit! :argh:

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, the cobbled-together murder gear theme is more of a Skaven thing in Warhammer Fantasy than Orcs. Orcs are just the war-happy savage barbarian monster played straight as Orcishly possible.

Orcs and goblins have doom divers. Literally a giant rubber band that launches goblins with primitive wings at the enemy so they can kill their targets, and the goblins themselves on impact.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mans posted:

The Luminark of Hysh is a magical war machine created by the Wizards of the College of Light Magic. Housing a rare, sorcerous orb, it’s capable of casting Solheim’s Bolt of Illumination, a devastating light spell. This bolt is focussed through a series of arcane lenses before leaping across the battlefield to tear the enemy asunder.

Buncha nerds on a telescope :allears:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah even a Steam Tank is going to feel a Giant stepping on it or a Stone Troll tackling it. "A big angry Giant\Troll" is the usual Orc solution to anything fortified or armored.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gaghskull posted:

Orcs and goblins have doom divers. Literally a giant rubber band that launches goblins with primitive wings at the enemy so they can kill their targets, and the goblins themselves on impact.

Also the Snotling Pump Wagon, a ramshackle fighting platform that the dumbest and smallest sub-race of Greenskins (Snotlings) build to try and fight like their bigger cousins. Still, if you're thinking about stuff like Killa Kans and Shokk Attack Guns a la 40K Orks, Skaven stuff is the nearest equivalent.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaghskull posted:

also in theory you'll be able to take control of the flying doom diver.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

gently caress I also forgot about the Arachnarok Spider. A house sized spider with a howdah of forest goblins shooting arrows. Who needs to siege when you can just climb over walls with your spiders!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tomn posted:

They can lob...stuff:

:orks101:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JglnSrfJtyQ:orks101:

Kind of hope we get a huge catapult that just launches a rain of murderous squigs at the enemy

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 29, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mans posted:

also in theory you'll be able to take control of the flying doom diver.

Creative Assembly has said that first person doom diver controls are already implemented, and that they are modeled on flight sims.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zzulu posted:

Kind of hope we get a huge catapult that just launches a rain of murderous squigs at the enemy

As someone who always wanted someone to figure out how to replace siege projectiles with packs of wardogs or flaming pigs, I am Down With This.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

I dont know posted:

Creative Assembly has said that first person doom diver controls are already implemented, and that they are modeled on flight sims.

This game keeps getting better.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I hate getting this excited about a game.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Mans posted:

Excellent. I love the way this is going.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It'd be great if your Doom Diver goes from the loud-rear end din of a huge Orcish horde, to a serene majestic silence as you soar through the air, then right into the middle of the screaming enemy army. That audio transition could be pretty loving great, even if over-exaggerated.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I wonder if they'll work in the fact that most of the really crazy warmachines (mostly skaven, some ork stuff, a few of the empires wierder designs) has a good chance to go horribly wrong and kill your own stuff. In a tabletop game its all in good fun since it happens in a vacuum, but in a total war campaign I can see your own stuff betraying you continously getting old quickly as it loses you battles or inflicts massive casualties where there should have been none.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

From what they've said, it seems like the randomness they're adding is stuff like wizards having spell points which fluctuate based on arbitrary Winds of Magic strength, so they may gain slower or faster spellcasting based on the RNG (and how far north the fighting is, closer to the Chaos Wastes). But CA is probably competent enough that they wouldn't make key units like wizards or siege engines randomly explode without enemy input, as yeah, it'd get really old to lose critical units to nothing but bad luck with some invisible dice roll.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 30, 2015

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I imagine the worst we'll get as non-Skaven will be equipment malfunction that lasts fixed amount of time or until the end of battle. I'll be sad if Skaven stuff doesn't blow up hilariously though.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Tomn posted:

As well as the other conventional siege weapons that were mentioned, there's the Rogue Idol. Basically a monument to Gork and/or Mork ends up attracting a lot of the Orcish latent psychic powers so during an especially intense period for the local tribe or a storm of magic it ends up animating as a big old stone monster with the behaviour and temperament of an Orc. Also they're usually about the size of a giant. Sometimes they'll follow the tribe around and stomp their foes, other times they'll follow the tribe around and stomp them.

Oh and speaking of Squigs, don't forget the Forgeworld Squig Gobba!

Night Goblin handlers chain it down, then start grabbing smaller Squigs and coating them in something that'll hopefully protect them from being immediately digested. They then stuff as many as they can in the Gobba until it either pukes them back up (hopefully toward the enemy where a bunch of acid-covered pissed off Squigs are going to have the best time) or explodes due to the gunk the goblins coated the Squigs with reacting badly with the stomach acid.

I hope there's other Forgeworld units getting included, some of them would be amazing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lassitude posted:

But CA is probably competent enough that they wouldn't make key units like wizards or siege engines randomly explode without enemy input, as yeah, it'd get really old to lose critical units to nothing but bad luck with some invisible dice roll.

Well, Fall of the Samurai DID have the option of overheating the steam engines to make them go faster with a risk of boom, and I think steamships in Empire/Napoleon might have had an inherent chance of explosion, or at least a higher chance of exploding when hit.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yesterday I've played some Empire:TW and somehow it was first time I've ever played a defensive battle where I could use defensive emplacements and had riflemen. Those dudes can set up napoleonic era claymore/cluster bomb trap. I haven't seen anything like that except stupid useless flaming balls of hay in Rome 2:TW, and I hope at least Dwarves get those.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here's the Blackfire Pass video they promised us :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPw86ivR7A

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Been playing Empire lately too. It's a lot better than I remember. More recently, I tried the Imperial Splendour mod, which is really pretty good.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

peer posted:

Looks amazing, I just hope that the game isn't completely based around a couple of battle-winning special units, and other units being filler designed to slow down enemy special units. So far we see that a salvo of 150 gunners didn't stop a flying creature and that giant spider can simply go through braced infantry, Of course it's scripted alpha build so it's too early to tell anything about the final product.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Empire is all about facing Doomy Doom the Doombringer of Dooms #243 and shooting it with a shitton of big cannons until it stops being a problem.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
This is going to be the best game.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Korgan posted:

As well as the other conventional siege weapons that were mentioned, there's the Rogue Idol. Basically a monument to Gork and/or Mork ends up attracting a lot of the Orcish latent psychic powers so during an especially intense period for the local tribe or a storm of magic it ends up animating as a big old stone monster with the behaviour and temperament of an Orc. Also they're usually about the size of a giant. Sometimes they'll follow the tribe around and stomp their foes, other times they'll follow the tribe around and stomp them.

Ahahaha this is the first time I've seen this thing and it's perfectly Orcy

peer posted:

GRIMGOR IS ON FOOT AND FUCKIN' ANGRY I APPROVE

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

peer posted:

I see great swords, halberds, hand gunners, and swordsmen. What state troops are we missing then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ i'm going to have so much fun no matter what faction I play. The empire looked lame compared to the orcs at first but those loving steam tanks/magic cannons are great.

• Locked thread