Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Chopping that much parsley is hilarious, because there's a robot coupe blade for that, which has got to be cheaper than wasting labor on chopped parsley.

I don't work for that kitchen any more. That place was a dumpster fire that I couldn't see because the money was so good, especially when I became a waiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Calamari.

Taking a 40 lbs box of whole squid, ripping out the tentacle, cutting out the mouth, removing the feather from the body and then slicing them... For loving ever. Also raw squid no matter how fresh smells like rear end juice and armpit sweat. Its loving horrifying and gently caress calamari forever.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Making gumbo from scratch with the roux and all that. Not really sure why; we use bagged gumbo now and if we ever went to a from-scratch recipe* I'd probably just walk out, go home, and start moving my stuff from my apartment to under a bridge.

None of the prep we have at this place is hard; it's all very easy recipes, we just choose within the store to do it the hardest way possible within that framework.

*This is frighteningly possible given that executive management can't decide whether they want fine dining, fucker-lickin' casual, or somewhere in between so they just throw concepts from all of those into one big blender and blame subordinates when it doesn't work. (corporate.txt)

Also cilantro. I worked at Bar Louie years ago (don't work at Bar Louie unless you want inspiration to become the Stephen King of restaurant books) and we used cilantro in seemingly every single recipe. I'm pretty sure we were supposed to sprinkle some in the dang toilet before we flushed. Anyway, I hated cleaning bunch after bunch of cilantro because it was the eighth deadly sin to get so much as a nanometer of stem in anything and our cilantro came in off the truck as limp as anything I've ever seen, making it incredibly tedious to do properly. I just pulled some fresh, vibrant, wonderful cilantro leaves for a recipe at home last week and it was the easiest thing in the world but that limp stuff was terrible.

If only you knew about pectinex when you had to do that, LOL.

Worst prep jobs are box lunches, setting up boxes, peeling labels off fruit, building and wrapping 300+ sandwiches, getting all the utensil packets, mayo, mustard, ketchup, chips, etc. All for 100 of them to come back because nobody wants to carry a box lunch with them wherever they're going, but at least I make a shitload of money off of them. $17/ea trollololol

I've only done box lunches once, for a hospital network event. Just over 1k people, I think, but we spent a couple days rotating shifts of making all but the sandwiches, which we made assembly-line style as people chose their meats at the actual event. Doing 300 solo in one day would be unimaginably horrible.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Calamari.

Taking a 40 lbs box of whole squid, ripping out the tentacle, cutting out the mouth, removing the feather from the body and then slicing them... For loving ever. Also raw squid no matter how fresh smells like rear end juice and armpit sweat. Its loving horrifying and gently caress calamari forever.
Calamari scrap is an excellent tool for terrorizing (I mean, "just messin around, chef") rude servers who think the prep area is part of their fiefdom. :unsmigghh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Vorenus posted:

Also cilantro. I worked at Bar Louie years ago (don't work at Bar Louie unless you want inspiration to become the Stephen King of restaurant books) and we used cilantro in seemingly every single recipe.

Bar Louie in Austin? What's up Austin bro!

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Bar louie is everywhere homie.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
My first kitchen job was at a Red Lobster where I would have to split, peel and devein at least 50 lbs of shrimp a day. I'd run the shrimp through a splitter (kinda like a meat slicer with a track to guide the shrimp into the blade) into a sink full of ice water then fish them out and peel and pull the poo poo out of them. By the end, my hands would be so numb that I could probably plunge them into the fryer and often thought of it as a viable alternative to peeling more shrimp.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rockzilla posted:

My first kitchen job was at a Red Lobster where I would have to split, peel and devein at least 50 lbs of shrimp a day. I'd run the shrimp through a splitter (kinda like a meat slicer with a track to guide the shrimp into the blade) into a sink full of ice water then fish them out and peel and pull the poo poo out of them. By the end, my hands would be so numb that I could probably plunge them into the fryer and often thought of it as a viable alternative to peeling more shrimp.

this was it for me too, and I only had to do ~20lbs every couple days. and also picking through jumbo lump crab.

jesus loving christ it's so ridiculous and you're always going to miss a transparent piece of shell or something and get loving chewed out by mr james beard himgoddamn self

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well it's been a year and my restaurant experience may be coming to an end. We had an awesome slap fight between the head bartender and me about bussing. The bartender last night got mad my cook missed a table outside and threw the plate, the napkins and the uneaten food and some gum wrappers and poo poo in the kitchen triple sink and left it there. When I mentioned it they said "it's not our job, even though we receive the tips for you cooking and serving the food," the owner of the bar backed them up. So I told them I was a bit disheartened considering I do all kinds of things, make 6 flavors of simple syrups from scratch, make 300 Jell-O shots a week, run to restaurant depot to buy them supplies and drop off things at the other bar they own for them. I don't need to do this but I want to be helpful and it's not too much to ask the people receiving tips to scrape a plate and throw it in the bus tub.

Anyway we have a meeting next Friday with me and the bar owner and we will see how it goes.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Nope. But based on a quick google of yelp reviews, they're all the same.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well it's been a year and my restaurant experience may be coming to an end. We had an awesome slap fight between the head bartender and me about bussing. The bartender last night got mad my cook missed a table outside and threw the plate, the napkins and the uneaten food and some gum wrappers and poo poo in the kitchen triple sink and left it there. When I mentioned it they said "it's not our job, even though we receive the tips for you cooking and serving the food," the owner of the bar backed them up. So I told them I was a bit disheartened considering I do all kinds of things, make 6 flavors of simple syrups from scratch, make 300 Jell-O shots a week, run to restaurant depot to buy them supplies and drop off things at the other bar they own for them. I don't need to do this but I want to be helpful and it's not too much to ask the people receiving tips to scrape a plate and throw it in the bus tub.

Anyway we have a meeting next Friday with me and the bar owner and we will see how it goes.

Wait, just like that? Over a loving plate? jesus christ dude

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

mindphlux posted:

this was it for me too, and I only had to do ~20lbs every couple days. and also picking through jumbo lump crab.

jesus loving christ it's so ridiculous and you're always going to miss a transparent piece of shell or something and get loving chewed out by mr james beard himgoddamn self

Use a blacklight, bro.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Willie Tomg posted:

Wait, just like that? Over a loving plate? jesus christ dude

I know right? But it's something I'm pretty much resigned to. The new head bartender hates having to deal with food and she is the owners wife's best friend so it is what it is. I would actually be happy calling it a day there and moving on. It's quickly becoming clear to me that they don't consider me a partner and they look at me as the kitchen guy regardless of the 20k I dumped into this thing. It is what it is. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience no matter how expensive it was.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I know right? But it's something I'm pretty much resigned to. The new head bartender hates having to deal with food and she is the owners wife's best friend so it is what it is. I would actually be happy calling it a day there and moving on. It's quickly becoming clear to me that they don't consider me a partner and they look at me as the kitchen guy regardless of the 20k I dumped into this thing. It is what it is. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience no matter how expensive it was.

Every time I' worked in a restaurant where any kind of manager avoided dealing with food/kitchen issues the place has been a loving disaster. I can think of at least two owners I know whose attitude was "I'll watch over the service and just look at the kitchen from the outside." To work a few rushes BOH should be a prerequisite for any kind of industry supervisory position, just so that the "head server" or "head bartender" or whatever can have some perspective on how the whole machine functions before telling the BOH workers how to do their jobs.

Ditto to any place in which the owner's SO has any influence on the operations. That actually might be the most corrosive influence I ever had to deal with.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Our owners SO will pop in from time to time when he's out of town, and we do just fine :colbert: (our owners are mostly hands off and run like half the restaurants downtown. They pop in every now and then for a bite and make sure everything is going smooth)

Agreed on the having to work a rush BoH even if it's just expo, just to see what it's like and see that when we're slammed, and tickets are taking for loving ever it's usually because of something beyond our control like we have 7 people in the dish pit and we still have no plates to put poo poo on, or we have the grill full with 9oz ribeyes and have nowhere else to start cooking things. It's nice where I work because we usually have 2-3 FoH managers on and at least one of them is helping expo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AA is for Quitters posted:

Our owners SO will pop in from time to time when he's out of town, and we do just fine :colbert: (our owners are mostly hands off and run like half the restaurants downtown. They pop in every now and then for a bite and make sure everything is going smooth)

Agreed on the having to work a rush BoH even if it's just expo, just to see what it's like and see that when we're slammed, and tickets are taking for loving ever it's usually because of something beyond our control like we have 7 people in the dish pit and we still have no plates to put poo poo on, or we have the grill full with 9oz ribeyes and have nowhere else to start cooking things. It's nice where I work because we usually have 2-3 FoH managers on and at least one of them is helping expo.

Yeah that's not what I mean by influence. Have you ever experienced meddling like "give my best friend a supervisory job" or "cook this food for me which I brought from outside the restaurant and serve it to me at the bar during the middle of your rush" or "I'm going to come into the kitchen and tell you how to do your job because I've fed a family of 4 for 13 years and so my skills are directly transferable to doing a wedding banquet for 190 people." It's terrible because it's literally impossible to win, no matter ridiculous the request, when you're facing the owner/manager's husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend. Every time I've said no to something like that I've had the boss coming back to me 30 seconds later telling me to do it. It's symptomatic of bad management practices, really.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

This wasn't that bad, but I used to have to slice like, five 6"-deep hotel pans worth (after slicing) of ciabatta every shift, and while I never cut myself with the bread knife the bread crust itself tore my knuckles open on more than one occasion.

Prepping butter/jam ramekin trays wore on my psyche more but I'm glad that was the worst of it.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I think shelling fava beans is the most psychosis-inducing prep job I have done. I hate them so loving much.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that's not what I mean by influence. Have you ever experienced meddling like "give my best friend a supervisory job" or "cook this food for me which I brought from outside the restaurant and serve it to me at the bar during the middle of your rush" or "I'm going to come into the kitchen and tell you how to do your job because I've fed a family of 4 for 13 years and so my skills are directly transferable to doing a wedding banquet for 190 people." It's terrible because it's literally impossible to win, no matter ridiculous the request, when you're facing the owner/manager's husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend. Every time I've said no to something like that I've had the boss coming back to me 30 seconds later telling me to do it. It's symptomatic of bad management practices, really.

Yeah GTFO if there for your own sanity.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AA is for Quitters posted:

Yeah GTFO if there for your own sanity.

Oh yeah I did, this was in the past (and all three were different places). Two of those places shut down (big surprise) and I have no idea the status of the third.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Prepping butter/jam ramekin trays wore on my psyche more but I'm glad that was the worst of it.

This too. Especially because our dishes take forever to come in, and dishpit keeps breaking ramekins. So we went from being able to do five trays to being able to do one and a half. So we have to do more halfway through the night.it sucks when you're getting slammed and servers are hounding you for more butter

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
If anyone's living in or willing to move to the DC area: this evening I learned of a personal chef position opening up for a loaaaaaaaaded family in McLean VA. Their departing personal chef is opening a restaurant on the west coast, hence the opening. One of my best friends is the wife's personal trainer which is how I came to hear about it and she asked me if I knew anyone... well maybe not personally, but y'all goons are good people.

I don't know much about it other than it's crazy good money and that it's not a live in position. Oh apparently this would be personal meals and food for parties of 100+ stupid rich people nearly every weekend. PM me if you want me to put you in touch.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Manager told her NOT to go through workman's comp? Is she privately insured? He probably just opened himself and the establishment up to a lawsuit in doing so, that was smart. Did anyone witness him say it?

Edit: It varies state by state but that kind of instruction can be hugely risky. Can't believe a manager would do that.

No fuckin kidding. She has a legit claim and should pursue it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I had a weird food moment today -- I was at an engagement party (????) for which MY GIRLFRIEND is the maid of honor, and it was lunch/brunch time, and there was an omelet station. And I remember the times where I worked omelet stations random silly parties, and now I was a patron.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Turkeybone posted:

I had a weird food moment today -- I was at an engagement party (????) for which MY GIRLFRIEND is the maid of honor, and it was lunch/brunch time, and there was an omelet station. And I remember the times where I worked omelet stations random silly parties, and now I was a patron.

Ugh, omelet stations. As a dishwasher, I don't have a worst prep story. But in my cafeteria-style place of work, I fuckin' hate the omelet stations. Fifty kajillion small cups coming from the kitchen, all with bits of ham and cheese shreds glued on with a veneer of egg. You rack up 20 of them, but ain't no rinsing, they're all face down. So about a quarter of them come out the dishwasher with schmutz still on 'em.

Changing topic: I don't get to eat any the food we serve, because of the way our serving/KP/cook schedules run. (I can elaborate if anyone's interested.) So when I get home after an 11 hour shift fueled entirely by Gatorade and a pb&j I brought from home, I just want to eat my own body weight in food and go to sleep. Tonight I made hamburgers, and discovered that a 50/50 mix of ketchup and Angry Woman sauce is the best hamburger condiment ever.

Who's the goon who wants to do fun things, but the patrons all want bar food? Steal this idea, please

now I'm going to pass out, got another double tomorrow
edit: if you're looking at the time and saying "man, what a pussy": I wake up at 4am for my doubles

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Got loving caramel on my hand when I was making brittle. gently caress sugar.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Holy poo poo the month in which I come home for 8 hours, then go back to work every single day to gently caress up two or three stations instead of my usual one or two is finally almost over. the weekend for which i have held in my mind for an entire month as my reason for living is approaching and I just realized: im a nonfunctioning idiot who has nothing to actually do if I'm not at work

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
Omlette stations are the worst, at least we get paid for them now.

I remember having to shell(?) like 150 pounds of chestnuts, that was annoying as hell.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I think the worst task I ever had was making 4000 box lunches for a golf event at a country club.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My accountant was a butcher for like 20 years before he changed careers, and we basically just sperg about food the entire time we talk about anything. It's kinda funny.

It's kind of hilarious in my new IT gig, I work with mostly ex-tradesmen. Just on my shift I've got a retired machinist fixing computers because his knees gave out on him, a journeyman electrician, and two other long-term ex-cooks. Much of the rest of the staff is all Guard or ex-military. It's kind of hilarious.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thoht posted:

So! What are the things you all hate to prep the most and never want to see again?

Production batches of croissant dough without a dough sheeter or cold table.

That poo poo is tedious, and you have to keep running it in and out of the cooler between roll-outs so the butter stays solid. I used to do a couple hundred pounds of it a week, and I don't miss it in the slightest.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Over in the Anti Food Porn thread, this got linked:

http://wewantplates.com/

As a dishbitch, I really, really want to know how some of these places deal with that end of serving food on weird things. Do you run giant rocks and skulls thru a machine, or do them by hand? What about the handbags and shoes?

Like I'm gonna dunk this thing into the 171F sterilizing rinse water in the triple sink and get it out without 2nd degree burns and a hernia:

:psyduck:

Seriously, though, if any of you industry goons know someone who works at one of these places that serves food on non-plates, I'd honestly like to know how dishpit handles that stuff. Suddenly, dealing with 56 kajillion salad bar cambros getting washed after every change of service doesn't seem so bad.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Simoom posted:

Holy poo poo the month in which I come home for 8 hours, then go back to work every single day to gently caress up two or three stations instead of my usual one or two is finally almost over. the weekend for which i have held in my mind for an entire month as my reason for living is approaching and I just realized: im a nonfunctioning idiot who has nothing to actually do if I'm not at work

I know the feeling. Next Sunday will be my first day in 8 weeks when I don't have to be at either job, and I have no loving clue what I'm going to do with it. A part of me wants to just stay home and drink heavily, but I work the next day so that's out. Maybe I'll get a one-day fishing license and head to a nearby lake, then I'm at least doing something else in addition to drinking.

On the plus side, I was BSing with one of the chef owners at the bar next door after my trial shift on saute station, and he drunkenly said he'd give me a raise of "at least a dollar." I blew it off as just drunk talk, but the next day (payday) he said I'd notice an increase to my hourly on my next check. So that kicks rear end.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

infiniteguest posted:

Use a blacklight, bro.

holy goddamn

I'm retroactively angry for no one at that place knowing about this.

destinyisweird
May 5, 2010
Okay, I have been reading this thread for no kidding, for 6 hours now, its just that good...( this is my only day off this week..) I work for a grocery store that is lucky to have a prepared area in which they do employ CIA chefs, as well as peps that they think have talent... But reading posts I do relate to some of them, I work with some of these dumbasses, deal with stupid customers, and deal with trolls(before you ask, my hubby likes to do it once in a while, although never in SA)I have been laughing so hard at some posts, and been cheering for others!! Please keep this up, love hearing the messed up stories and yes, loving some of the drama..
So my personal thing..
I cook Asian food, nothing pisses me off more than is there msg in your food?
Ummm..no,
And as far as I know , there is no such allergies as an msg allergy, it will make you thirsty and at the most give you a headache, but that's the only thing...I work for a company that is very anti preservative, very local ingredients, and very family focused...
With that being said the only msg is the natural occurring in the fish sauce we use for a few dishes....
And it seem only older peps are the ones who ask this, 20 somethings I think are not aware of this, that I know of.
Seriously, the peps who bust their rear end to be in this industry and love it, more power to you, you have to be mascostist to work in it, others if you don't like it get out...
Thank you guys for a much wasted but great day off, reminded me of why I got in this industry, I love cooking food so peps can enjoy it!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a dishbitch, I really, really want to know how some of these places deal with that end of serving food on weird things. Do you run giant rocks and skulls thru a machine, or do them by hand? What about the handbags and shoes?

Like I'm gonna dunk this thing into the 171F sterilizing rinse water in the triple sink and get it out without 2nd degree burns and a hernia:

:psyduck:

Seriously, though, if any of you industry goons know someone who works at one of these places that serves food on non-plates, I'd honestly like to know how dishpit handles that stuff. Suddenly, dealing with 56 kajillion salad bar cambros getting washed after every change of service doesn't seem so bad.

They hose down the rocks and pleather, maybe dunk 'em in the sani sink if they're sticklers, let them air dry, and then lie about it when the inspector rolls around. It ain't rocket surgery.

e; to be charitable, the rock is probably treated in food grade shellac. but yeah, nothing like an animal skull or fashion accessory can survive conscientious dish pit conditions.

No owner or chef who serves a truffle trio on 20 kilos of igneous rock, or in a designer Dior, gives a gently caress about respecting the food or their customers. And: get this: no customer who goes in for it deserves respect.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 27, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seriously what the gently caress is that poo poo?!? Am I suppose to feel important or special because I'm eating off a rock?

Anyways. If you know someone who works for Pepsi please tell them their Lipton Tea bag in the box is complete poo poo.

No idea why we keep using it. Complaint after complaint. Bring it to table and its sent back.

For the love of god get actual tea bags!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

A Man and his dog posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is that poo poo?!? Am I suppose to feel important or special because I'm eating off a rock?

nah, you're supposed to feel rustic. you're supposed to feel like a dirty primitive eating off a food-treated rock. and then paying top dollar for the priviliege.

bullshit food pres like that is basically a BDSM club for sexually conservative urbanites with more money than brains. they don't really have the firmest idea of what they like, so they want someone they deem an authority to tell them what they really need. and then they want to be punished for it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

Eat Paleo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

lovely cook gave 2 days notice. I'm glad he's finally leaving, but does he really have to do it when half the kitchen is out on PTO?

• Locked thread