Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

or a cuddlecube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, joy. Cyberbulling. That'll get the attention of your lovely local news station. Also, think of the children or something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People in this subforum thinking of children has generally not ended well

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, fine. Think of the children in a wholesome manner.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Why can't this subforum be a hugbox

I won't allow it as long as the dredges of the community continue to violently offend my sensibilities.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i will not rest until every kancolle has been torpedoed and sent to the bottom of the pacific

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

loving twisted psychopath

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

i will not rest until every kancolle has been torpedoed and sent to the bottom of the pacific

:greencube:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe Beserk is a prequel to The Great Gatsby.

That's...

That's not how names work, WickedHate.

You don't get more letters added to your name as you get older.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
People need to stop recommending good manga. I'd gotten the number of long-term open tabs in my browser down to a reasonable dozen or so, but over the last few weeks it's ballooned to nearly three times that because of mangas I want to read. Life is hard.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

stop saying gatts

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Zolo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

People need to stop recommending good manga. I'd gotten the number of long-term open tabs in my browser down to a reasonable dozen or so, but over the last few weeks it's ballooned to nearly three times that because of mangas I want to read. Life is hard.

Use a site that lets you save titles in a reading list!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm going to watch Katanagatari episode 3, and hell maybe even 4, today.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm going to watch Katanagatari episode 3, and hell maybe even 4, today.

Godspeed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Johnny Gatts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

Heard of it. It's supposed to be hyper violent, right? I love hyper violence. It depends on how grimdark it is and if it is grimdark how that's executed.

It's pretty drat hyper-violent, and while it's grimdark I don't feel like it goes overboard (there's way less rape than most of its contemporaries, for instance).

I'm thinking you'll like it, give the first episode a watch on YouTube and then look up 2 and 3 if you dig it- even if you don't like, I'm super curious what you make of it, it's really interesting and bizarrely artsy for an early 90s cyberpunk OVA.

e: also, it's Guts, not Gatts. "Gatts" is a mis-romanization from the early scans. Also also, yeah, he's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat- he chills out a tad after the Black Swordsman arc (and the Golden Age arc is a flashback to before he was a huge rear end in a top hat) but part of the appeal of Berserk, frankly, is that Guts is a legit insane person rather than a typical fantasy protagonist.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEEPosF-tNU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Use a site that lets you save titles in a reading list!

I do, but most comics I haven't started get forgotten forever unless I inadvertently look at them. Once I've read enough chapters to confirm that a manga is good and I like it, then it goes onto an appropriate list, and the tab can close.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only acceptable amount of rape, is 0

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

the only acceptable amount of rape, is 0

I don't see why you have to be so extreme about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is theoretically possible for something to handle rape well, but ive seen it done like, twice

and when it's mishandled it's usually so bad that the story would be way better without it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i dont remember watching any anime with rape

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the next simulwatch is going to be a gaspar noe marathon

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Next simulwatch should be the Hinako series and Makura no Danshi.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maria almost had rape

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

i dont remember watching any anime with rape
do i need to link the corn video again

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't actually watch that show so my post stands

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Controversial opinion: but I think rape is bad.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Rape as a plot device is usually... Really bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I try to limit myself to just a few series. If you feel like you're getting bogged down by way too many entertainment outlets, try to write them down on Notepad or Quick Note and start watching/listening/reading/playing them little by little. I read this book (and a few essays that came as further recommendation) that the Dillinger Escape Plan dude recommended when mentioning why he named his fourth record Option Paralysis and it made a lot of sense: Just try to concentrate on a few things.

Endorph posted:

it is theoretically possible for something to handle rape well, but ive seen it done like, twice

and when it's mishandled it's usually so bad that the story would be way better without it

This thread goes on weird tangents sometimes, but this is a good opinion. You're a good lady, Endorph. :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(pretend I quoted endorph's post about the acceptable amount of rape being 0 here, iOS app is janky as poo poo)

:agreed:

on the other hand, however, you're going to be looking really goddamn hard to find 80s and early 90s OVAs in that mold that have no sexual violence in them whatsoever, so the fact that Genocyber just kind of briefly acknowledges "yes this is a thing" and moves on is still a pretty big step up for its time and genre, compared to the rock dude in Ninja Scroll or... Wicked City in general or Mad Bull 34 in general (for example).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 26, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LORD OF BUTT posted:

:agreed:

on the other hand, however, you're going to be looking really goddamn hard to find 80s and early 90s OVAs in that mold that have no sexual violence in them whatsoever, so the fact that Genocyber just kind of briefly acknowledges "yes this is a thing" and moves on is still a pretty goddamn big step up for its time and genre, compared to the rock dude in Ninja Scroll or... Wicked City in general or Mad Bull 34 in general (for example).

Maybe you should just watch good modern rape-less animes, like Girls und Panzer, Gundam: Reconguista in G, and Yowamushi Pedal.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I remember I watched one episode of All in the Family and it was the one where the girl almost got raped. hosed up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

littleorv posted:

I remember I watched one episode of All in the Family and it was the one where the girl almost got raped. hosed up.

Did they keep it....

All in the Family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The 80s were a different time.

• Locked thread