Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

Is this really a thing? I don't follow X-men so all I 'know' about Kitty Pryde beyond powers and her appearnce in x-men evolution/WatXmen is that shes Bendis' favourite character.
She dropped the n-word twice to teach people not to be bigots against mutants. One time I think it actually worked ok. The other not as much. I will say it could have been handled much worse. I'm at work so, I'm not going to type in the words I would to for a google image search, but I'm sure someone else will bring out panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Have Warlock and Magus ever met Warlock and Magus?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Little Mac posted:

Have Warlock and Magus ever met Warlock and Magus?

Warlock and Warlock teamed up during Annihilation: Conquest. It was cool.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Warlock ended up kicking Warlock/Ultron's rear end.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I am really loving Lemire and Perez's All-New Hawkeye. Lemire is basically taking the structural device he used in Trillium and applying it to this smaller scale emotional memory-scape. Perez is killing it on the art, it almost feels like there are 2 artists on the book.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

chime_on posted:

I am really loving Lemire and Perez's All-New Hawkeye. Lemire is basically taking the structural device he used in Trillium and applying it to this smaller scale emotional memory-scape. Perez is killing it on the art, it almost feels like there are 2 artists on the book.

That's because there are two. It's Herring and Perez doing colors. The writing is hacky as all hell, but, yeah, the art is killing it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

ElNarez posted:

That's because there are two. It's Herring and Perez doing colors. The writing is hacky as all hell, but, yeah, the art is killing it.

I guess I meant to say pencils, although yes, the color does help the differentiation between time periods as well. And I disagree that the writing is hacky-- not saying it's super groundbreaking or anything, but the way the two stories in issue #4 were laid out alone demonstrates a level of effort above hackery.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Bro we can't all just crib like five Rockford Files episodes together redundantly and hope people love our artist enough to ignore it bro

bro

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Bro we can't all just crib like five Rockford Files episodes together redundantly and hope people love our artist enough to ignore it bro

bro

Not sure which Hawkeye run you're talking about here, but Rockford Files went off the air when Jeff Lemire was 3 and Matt Fraction was 4, so I kind of doubt that either has that kind of familiarity it. You have some weird narrative pareidolia.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Squizzle posted:

Not sure which Hawkeye run you're talking about here, but Rockford Files went off the air when Jeff Lemire was 3 and Matt Fraction was 4, so I kind of doubt that either has that kind of familiarity it. You have some weird narrative pareidolia.

Fraction has said repeatedly that "The Rockford Files" was a big influence on his Hawkeye run, which is why Not Jim Rockford Really shows up during Kate's time in LA.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Squizzle posted:

The Twilight Zone went off the air decades before I was born and I've seen every episode.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 26, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

Nick-At-Night bro.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

I guess they've show a couple more of the announced hip-hop cross over covers (stolen from reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/xLHqg

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elucidarius posted:

I guess they've show a couple more of the announced hip-hop cross over covers (stolen from reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/xLHqg

The Avengers one is awesome but that Squirrel Girl variant is still the best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Avengers one is awesome but that Squirrel Girl variant is still the best.

The Howard the Duck one is a contender for #1.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Squizzle posted:

I'm younger than both of them and I've watched the Rockford Files because my Dad liked it and it was on syndication and Nick at Nite and they did "movies of the week" Rockford Files in the 1990s and it's on Netflix and also as people mentioned Matt Fraction repeatedly cited it as an inspiration for his Hawkeye. Fraction's Hawkeye was way more Jim Rockford than Clint Barton ca. 1964-2005 too.

And the guy who shows up in LA isn't Jim Rockford, he's super blatantly Elliott Gould playing Philip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye down to the cat. Which was also weird because Harold H. Harold is an established Marvel character who looked like but predated Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters and was a pulp novelist and a loving vampire but whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Fraction has said repeatedly that "The Rockford Files" was a big influence on his Hawkeye run, which is why Not Jim Rockford Really shows up during Kate's time in LA.

I always thought it was Not Phillip Marlowe (Elliot Gould version), though your version fits

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow, I don't care about Star Lord at all, but that one looks pretty drat cool. The SS one is pretty good for a series I have absolutely no interest in too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like the Guardians cover lamed out by just drawing a generic wormhole instead of like a weird creature's mouth or whatever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm going to be super disappointed if MC Spider doesn't enter the alternate-costume rotation for future Marvel video games.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

For reference:

Harold H. Harold v1 from Tomb of Dracula

Philip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye

Harold H. Harold v2 from Hawkeye

Jim Rockford

Though I only realized this just now:

Harold H. Harold appears in these four panels in Stern/Leihola's Dr. Strange when they write all vampires out of existence, years after he disappeared along with Tomb of Dracula:

And when they do a flashback in Hawkeye 18:

This is baffling half-attention to detail, in terms of remembering he switched hair color for 2 1/2 panels but not the chronology of his hair color or anything else about the character?

EDIT 1: You know someone tried to snort HHH's ashes in that disco.
EDIT 2: I'm half convinced the conversion of HHH in those four panels from curly haired brunette to stylin' redhead is some sort of meta-making GBS threads on someone who got a sitcom deal? No idea who that would be though.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 26, 2015

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

When someone says of young Clint Barton that he's "a real 'hawk-eye'", I think it's worth calling that hacky. That's just how I run.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ElNarez posted:

When someone says of young Clint Barton that he's "a real 'hawk-eye'", I think it's worth calling that hacky. That's just how I run.
He got the name Hawkeye from being a trick archer in that circus where someone calls young Clint Barton "a real hawk-eye" so I mean, maybe showing that scene is "on the nose" or whatever but it's not a nudge-wink 'reference' it's an actual logical thing to have happen.

Like, it's the rough equivalent of having that scene in Avengers #1 when the Wasp goes "let's call ourselves the Avengers!" and then the team gets called the Avengers.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
He's also from Iowa.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:eyepop:

Welp I was wrong.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

chime_on posted:

I guess I meant to say pencils, although yes, the color does help the differentiation between time periods as well. And I disagree that the writing is hacky-- not saying it's super groundbreaking or anything, but the way the two stories in issue #4 were laid out alone demonstrates a level of effort above hackery.
The present day plot is a little dry, and I can't find it in myself to really care about the plot line in the past.

Still: Clint, Kate, and Pizza Dog. Still worth a look.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

He got the name Hawkeye from being a trick archer in that circus where someone calls young Clint Barton "a real hawk-eye" so I mean, maybe showing that scene is "on the nose" or whatever but it's not a nudge-wink 'reference' it's an actual logical thing to have happen.

Like, it's the rough equivalent of having that scene in Avengers #1 when the Wasp goes "let's call ourselves the Avengers!" and then the team gets called the Avengers.

That said, Lemire's dialogue has always felt wooden to me.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Huh interesting I got an email from Marvel linking some Secret Wars titles to their new counterparts. I'm interested in how they transfer over. How does Loki become Contest of Champions?! Am I misunderstanding the email?

quote:

Secret Wars has now reached its midway point, and the Marvel Universe as we've known it has finally come to an end! However, some great new series are spinning out of the events of Secret Wars! If you're subscribed to one of the following series below, and it's sadly coming to an end, Marvel has your back with these new subscriptions! Some of these include Invincible Iron Man from Brian Michael Bendis, Spider-Man 2099 from Peter David, Extraordinary X-Men from Jeff Lemire, and more! Also, it's never to late to start a new subscription, and these new series are the perfect jumping on points!

Follow our helpful chart to see which series you can expect next!

Iron Man: Armor Wars → Invincible Iron Man
Hail Hydra → Sam Wilson, Captain America
Ant-Man → Astonishing Ant-Man
Secret Wars 2099 → Spider-Man 2099
Civil War → New Avengers
X-Tinction Agenda → Uncanny Avengers
Years of Future Past → Extraordinary X-Men
Loki: Agent of Asgard → Contest of Champions
Guardians of the Galaxy: Knowhere → Guardians of the Galaxy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess he's in it? The cover has Jane-Thor on it but no Loki.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I guess he's in it? The cover has Jane-Thor on it but no Loki.

Isn't Ewing writing it?
EDIT: He is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Cripes, the final issue of Black Widow was hardcore OG Nat in the most horrific way. There have been Terminators that were less stone cold, gently caress.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sentinel Red posted:

Cripes, the final issue of Black Widow was hardcore OG Nat in the most horrific way. There have been Terminators that were less stone cold, gently caress.

:stare:

drat....even the Predator would be like, "Tasha....we need to have a talk."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw a lot of complaints about Edmonson's writing, and I started reading BW because of Noto (I'm halfway through) but the story seems fine to me?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sentinel Red posted:

Nope.

gently caress it.

No "morality is gray, she's complicated" bullshit, Natasha is the worst and her being an Avenger much less one of Marvel's premier female super heroes pisses me off now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Is that book good? I haven't read it yet, but want to. The art is GORGEOUS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Nope.

gently caress it.

No "morality is gray, she's complicated" bullshit, Natasha is the worst and her being an Avenger much less one of Marvel's premier female super heroes pisses me off now.

She's not really. In the movies sure, the comic Widow is a background character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

She's not really. In the movies sure, the comic Widow is a background character.

Being in the movies means she's gotten a lot of that level of exposure though, and that'll especially be the case if she ever gets a movie of her own. She needs to die. Wolverine needs to kill her. If Cap and Tony found out about this they'd stop fighting immediately to go beat her up and put her in jail forever.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Nope.

gently caress it.

I haven't read the issue yet and I'm now ... sort of concerned to do so, haha.

Edmondson's handling of Nat has been way less out-and-out weird than his Punisher run, but it still feels kind of shaky and uncomfortable at times. Noto's art is beautiful enough that I've been rolling with it, but I do remember feeling really weird with how and when she killed the only black person in the entire comic.

Aphrodite posted:

I dunno, I think if you asked most random people on the street to name a female Marvel character she'd be right at the top of the list. Followed by like ... Storm, probably. Scarlet Witch since she was in a movie. Maybe some of the other X ladies. I'm not sure if people would even think of Captain Marvel. But I think there is at least an outside perception that she's kind of a flagship lady.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I mean. It's all from the movies, and any time she's used prominently by Marvel it's MCU Widow.

The 616 Widow hasn't gotten anything out of it. She's already barely an Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Unmature posted:

Is that book good? I haven't read it yet, but want to. The art is GORGEOUS.

It's okay. It's kind of pointless. It had a lot of promise early on but very quickly the plot starts to drag on and on, and the character beats become extremely superficial. I dropped it at issue 16, and have no plans of going after the last few.

• Locked thread