Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Johnson. Wow that's high

He's very good at putting up points, is young, is cheap and is all in all pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Select * from players where position = forward order by points/60

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Technetium posted:

He's very good at putting up points, is young, is cheap and is all in all pretty awesome.

Tyler Johnson's good but man that seems like a reach.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I stand by it, he's a great center on one of the best teams in the NHL. :colbert:

edit: if people really want to know my reasoning:

he was the third best scorer at even strength last year in both raw points and points per 60

he doesn't get gifted zone starts like a ton of the other top scorers

he plays against top competition

he led the playoffs in scoring before getting hurt (albeit at a crazy shooting percentage)

15th in overall scoring despite being the second powerplay unit (by far) and putting up second best numbers on PP on his team despite that

really good at drawing penalties at 6th in the league for penalty differential

Tyler Johnson is really good you guys

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 26, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Tampa Bay Bolts select Evgeni Malkin

I'm of the opinion that he's the most talented player in the NHL. When he's going, he's all but unstoppable.

He sucks at draws but draws are massively overrated.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Technetium posted:

I stand by it, he's a great center on one of the best teams in the NHL. :colbert:

edit: if people really want to know my reasoning:

he was the third best scorer at even strength last year in both raw points and points per 60

he doesn't get gifted zone starts like a ton of the other top scorers

he plays against top competition

he led the playoffs in scoring before getting hurt (albeit at a crazy shooting percentage)

15th in overall scoring despite being the second powerplay unit (by far) and putting up second best numbers on PP on his team despite that

really good at drawing penalties at 6th in the league for penalty differential

Tyler Johnson is really good you guys

He's not better than Evgeni Malkin

T-bone is up

edit: Mod, please change title to "Let's find out how many players are better than Tyler Johnson"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like Tyler Johnson but fancy stats or no I just can't see how he's a better player than Evgeni Malkin. Or a lot of other guys, frankly. The best goalscorer in the game and the best defenseman in the game are still on the board.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gonna go with Erik Karlsson which is 9 rounders earlier than I usually draft a d-man

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The ducks need to get grittier. Therefore welcome back gently caress Corey Perry!
gently caress age we need grit.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Wait till you guys see my second pick.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

T-Bone posted:

gonna go with Erik Karlsson which is 9 rounders earlier than I usually draft a d-man

the first dman drafted too

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I don't know what is surprising about taking a very good young scorer. Especially in this, the National Hockey League Where Old Men Are Bad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How does one manage to gently caress up picking 2nd and 3rd like how long of a list do you need?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

I don't know what is surprising about taking a very good young scorer. Especially in this, the National Hockey League Where Old Men Are Bad.

Because there are plenty of players objectively better who are still under 30. Johnson also has to prove he can do it again.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Because there are plenty of players objectively better who are still under 30. Johnson also has to prove he can do it again.

Subjectively you mean. I feel I made a pretty good case. Tyler Johnson is cool and rude.

Edit: there's a moderate chance he regresses next year I know I'm taking a gamble if anyone thinks I don't

Technetium fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 26, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Technetium posted:

Subjectively you mean. I feel I made a pretty good case. Tyler Johnson is cool and rude.

Edit: there's a moderate chance he regresses next year I know I'm taking a gamble if anyone thinks I don't

No, there were three players at least (plenty more if you include defensemen) who are objectively way better who you could have picked. Johnson being cheap doesn't cover that disparity for me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Technetium posted:

Exactly, you're taking a gamble, which is not something you do on your first round top ten pick.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

eXXon posted:

How does one manage to gently caress up picking 2nd and 3rd like how long of a list do you need?

I agree what could you possibly have to do that's more important than this dumb poo poo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tofes posted:

I agree what could you possibly have to do that's more important than this dumb poo poo

Totally, who has time to think of not one but two good NHL players?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Just FYI habibi and the Caps are up right now and have until 12pm EDT to pick.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
lmao tyler Johnson

just lmao

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

stab posted:

lmao tyler Johnson

just lmao

Sidney Crosby. John Tavares. Connor McDavid. Evgeni Malkin. Tyler Johnson. Spot the odd one out.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Sidney Crosby. John Tavares. Connor McDavid. Evgeni Malkin. Tyler Johnson. Spot the odd one out.

YKNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF GOOD OL NORTH AMERICAN BOYS THEN THERES THIS MALKIN, WHAT KIND OF NAME IS THAT ANYWAY

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'm a wee bit hungover from a bachelor party, so I'm going to skip the long write-up and give me Claude Giroux. He's a center, he's pretty good, he's still available, he's not too old.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

The Sharks select Anze Kopitar because his corsi is high and they want a number 1 center

Aye Doc is up

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
His Corsi is high, but is he gritty?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

His Corsi is high, but is he gritty?

He's a Slovenian war criminal so I would say yes

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The Nashville predators have had bad luck when it comes to Russians.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Habibi posted:

I'm a wee bit hungover from a bachelor party, so I'm going to skip the long write-up and give me Claude Giroux. He's a center, he's pretty good, he's still available, he's not too old.

I'll take "Players I Would Take Before Tyler Johnson" for $2000

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Edmonton Oilers select Drew Doughty. Offense Defense wins hockey games and we're going to be loaded with it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

The Edmonton Oilers select Drew Doughty. Offense Defense wins hockey games and we're going to be loaded with it.

Shocked he went as low as he did.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

I'll take "Players I Would Take Before Tyler Johnson" for $2000

like my next pick since I happen to be here

Alex Ovechkin, player worse than Tyler Johnson, too old to be any good at the game of hockey. He used to score some goals I think.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This draft is weird every year, there is nothing particularly ujnusual about Tyler Johnson so high. Now hurry up so I can draft someone better than him at 27th overall.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

You are all basically David Nonis imho

stab
Feb 12, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

This draft is weird every year, there is nothing particularly ujnusual about Tyler Johnson so high. Now hurry up so I can draft someone better than him at 27th overall.

alex ovechkin went 17th overall

let that sink in for a second

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

At this rate I should be able to get a top 10 player at 25th overall

stab
Feb 12, 2003

tofes posted:

At this rate I should be able to get a top 10 player at 25th overall

I gave you 6 players to pick in case I wasn't there.

Only one was selected in 16 picks.

ONE.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

There were 4 dudes of which I thought 1, maybe 2 could fall to me at #18 that I would consider taking and all of them did so this was pretty hard. Five if you count Ovie who I was hoping would somehow fall one more spot.

So I thought for about 10 minutes on which direction I wanted to take the New New York Islanders and decided that this dude gave me the most options with my later picks. Was basically a tie with a similar player who was a bit more on the offensive side but I googled pics of both and this one below won me over. Welcome to the island Captain Intangibles, sultan of grit, Johnathan Toews. I wonder how he feels about moving to the Islanders.

oh alright then. Well you're staying anyway

Furnaceface is up

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
lol this draft is awesome. This is way better than when someone took Ladd in the late first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I agree although I wish we had enough people for 30 teams

• Locked thread