Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BITS seems to operate with two priorities, "foreground" and "background".
It supposedly tries to avoid hogging the bandwidth, however:

MSDN posted:

BITS uses the client's network adapter to measure available network bandwidth. Because BITS is not able to measure bandwidth beyond the client, BITS may congest the WAN link. To reduce congestion on the WAN link, you can use the MaxInternetBandwidth group policy to limit the amount of bandwidth that the client uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spud posted:

Absolute control is very important, or any vendor can stick whatever they want on there....remember adware and spyware? I am not saying MS will do that, but if my system compiles a piece of code in 100secs one day, and 90 secs the next day, after me writing a new algorithm, was that the code, or the update?

I do not want my system changed unless I allow it, in anyway.

:spergin:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Careering...not really spergin...the compile doesn't matter so much, but a run through the codepath absolutely does.

Anyway, massive segue....

So the answer is:

No, you cannot stop the PoS downloading without killing services...which is what I thought.

Took a while guys, but thanks.

spud fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 26, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

spud posted:

Absolute control is very important, or any vendor can stick whatever they want on there....remember adware and spyware? I am not saying MS will do that, but if my system compiles a piece of code in 100secs one day, and 90 secs the next day, after me writing a new algorithm, was that the code, or the update?

I do not want my system changed unless I allow it, in anyway.

You might enjoy Yosemite or Linux variant X.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spud posted:

Of course I changed that setting. I have been in control of updates since Windows 3.1 when I would get them on floppies. I am not asking this as someone "new to computers".

It will be an issue if I am playing an online game and Windows 10 decides to start downloading an update, and the only recourse I have is to kill the service.

To Skarsnik, I didn't read anything about Goons being Goons and worrying about this....I am worried about this, regardless if I am a goon or not.

I have seen 2 people now saying "don't worry this isn't an issue", but where is the evidence?

Are you on dial-up or sub 4 megabit DSL or something? That's the only situation I can imagine where the downloads will seriously impact your gaming, especially as the downloads are usually done overnight starting around 3 am.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodoman posted:

You might enjoy Yosemite or Linux variant X.

I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks man, I will check those Operating Systems out!!

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you on dial-up or sub 4 megabit DSL or something? That's the only situation I can imagine where the downloads will seriously impact your gaming, especially as the downloads are usually done overnight starting around 3 am.

More guesswork.

Give me evidence.

e: gently caress it, I may as well have asked on Gamefaqs. What went wrong here? It used to be full of knowledgeable people rather than guess work jockeys and have a go heroes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

spud posted:

More guesswork.

Give me evidence.

e: gently caress it, I may as well have asked on Gamefaqs. What went wrong here? It used to be full of knowledgeable people rather than guess work jockeys and have a go heroes.

Sorry none of us bothered to learn the inner workings of something most people don't give a poo poo about on a unreleased operating system.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The regularly scheduled time for updates is 3AM on a Sunday. That has been the default every time I've installed Win 7/8/8.1.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

socialsecurity posted:

Sorry none of us bothered to learn the inner workings of something most people don't give a poo poo about on a unreleased operating system.

Sorry to ask on the "Serious Hardware/Software Crap" forum about serious software.

I will just trust whatever vendors shovel into my fat face, much like Americans do each day with fast food.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

spud posted:

Sorry to ask on the "Serious Hardware/Software Crap" forum about serious software.

I will just trust whatever vendors shovel into my fat face, much like Americans do each day with fast food.

Then I think you may enjoy posting in :gb2gbs:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodoman posted:

Then I think you may enjoy posting in :gb2gbs:

From my my post history, I think you will find I do....I really do.

But it's rather sad that when I post in a forum absolutely related to what I do 10hrs+ a day, I got guesswork and trolling.

Makes me sad :(

I shall go back to gbs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spud posted:

More guesswork.

Give me evidence.

It's not guesswork silly man, That's what the default has been since either XP or ME, for updates to start being downloaded (and if you want it, installed) at 3 AM, assuming you leave your computer on. You have to deliberately choose otherwise.

Again, so, do you actually have a lovely connection or are you the sort of "my mom says I'm good at computers" doof who just assumes any downloads at all during your 2sick WOW raids will hurt your latency? Because your concerns are actually worthwhile if it's the first, I did have issues gaming during sownloads last month when I was stuck on a sub 3 megabit line shared with others in the place.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not guesswork silly man, That's what the default has been since either XP or ME, for updates to start being downloaded (and if you want it, installed) at 3 AM, assuming you leave your computer on. You have to deliberately choose otherwise.

Again, so, do you actually have a lovely connection or are you the sort of "my mom says I'm good at computers" doof who just assumes any downloads at all during your 2sick WOW raids will hurt your latency? Because your concerns are actually worthwhile if it's the first, I did have issues gaming during sownloads last month when I was stuck on a sub 3 megabit line shared with others in the place.

Oh sweet Nintendo Kid....

Yes I have no idea and my mom says im very good at computar.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spud posted:

Oh sweet Nintendo Kid....

Yes I have no idea and my mom says im very good at computar.

You're the one who doesn't know basic facts about Windows Update, a 15+ year old system. And comes in here demanding changes that the sort of guy who ran Windows XP 32 bit on an 8 GB of ram system for more FPS would do.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh it does work? Sweet.

What are the keyboard shortcuts? Same as in 8/8.1?

Control-Win-Left/Right Arrow Keys will cycle through the desktops. Alt-Tab can be set to show you all apps on all desktops. Win-Tab shows you the current applications on that desktop, but can tab down (win-tab holds the screen so you don't have to keep the keys pressed like alt-tab) and change desktops that way.

I want a direct key combo for each desktop like I've had on Mac OS X for the past 10 years, and like how I configured Dexpot to function on WIndows to replicate the feature. I have used Option-1 on the Mac and Win-1 to switch to space one, but doing so on Windows requires disabling the win-NUMBER key combo of launching applications in the quick launch bar.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Coolnezzz posted:

Installed Windows 10 by upgrading first then doing a fresh install tonight and am really enjoying it so far. I do most of my computer usage at night and lately the brightness of my monitors has been making my eyes hurt. I've decided to start working on that after this fresh install by running Flux and some Grease/Tamper monkey scripts for my browsers that switch to a darker theme. While not strictly Windows 10 related I am curious if anyone is aware of a way to make Windows Explorer windows darker, like inverting the white background and black text.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop at the moment, the Explorer window is just eye-searingly bright to me:

Otherwise after some initial Windows Updates failures, Win10 not liking my old keyboard, my 2nd monitor having weird black lines/screen tearing (went away after a reboot, I blame video drivers), I'm having a good time with this so far! The keyboard issue was strange, I'd spilled some coffee on it a few months back and let it dry out for a day but ever since then it's acted like there was a short that was causing my PC to think that a key was being held down at all times. This would cause Win7 to not let me left-click my mouse after initial boot-up until I frantically pressed all of the other mouse buttons several times and it would start working again. I'm not sure why this worked, I guess pressing all of the mouse buttons overloaded the input buffer or something to make Windows stop thinking that keyboard key was still being pressed. This worked great in Win7 to "fix" my keyboard problem but that method will not work with Win10, I ran out and bought a new keyboard (and mouse while I'm at it) and have had no problems since.

The lines and tearing happened on my second screen, too. Nvidia card, possibly? I have a GTX 970 and whatever driver Windows 10 gets will cause the lines. Removing their driver and installing the latest from Nvidia fixes it. Unfortunately, I told Windows 10 that I don't want it downloading drivers anymore but it didn't seem to respect that option. It grabbed the bugged driver again last night and the issue was back. Rolling back solved it but it's worth looking into.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're the one who doesn't know basic facts about Windows Update, a 15+ year old system. And comes in here demanding changes that the sort of guy who ran Windows XP 32 bit on an 8 GB of ram system for more FPS would do.

Yes I did have 16 rams on Win32 XP. My friend, "computer dave" told me I cant more than 4 rams in there on 32, so I paid to get a new one.

Seriously, I want to crush your skull. And I am not a violent person.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WHEN DO MY loving UPDATES HAPPEN GOD drat IDIOTS JUST TELL ME.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

WHEN DO MY loving UPDATES HAPPEN GOD drat IDIOTS JUST TELL ME.

WHY AM COMPUTER GO SLOW AND MAKE HDD NOUSE I TRY TO PLAY GAME OH GOD I HAVE VIRUS???

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It is well known troll vs new not-so-subtle troll, stay away

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Here I thought Win10 installing lovely drivers was bad...apparently the mere mention of WHEN they update will cause threats of skull bashing. :v: Jesus...

mayodreams posted:

Control-Win-Left/Right Arrow Keys will cycle through the desktops. Alt-Tab can be set to show you all apps on all desktops. Win-Tab shows you the current applications on that desktop, but can tab down (win-tab holds the screen so you don't have to keep the keys pressed like alt-tab) and change desktops that way.

I want a direct key combo for each desktop like I've had on Mac OS X for the past 10 years, and like how I configured Dexpot to function on WIndows to replicate the feature. I have used Option-1 on the Mac and Win-1 to switch to space one, but doing so on Windows requires disabling the win-NUMBER key combo of launching applications in the quick launch bar.

Sweet! Thanks for this.

I'm glad Windows can finally scroll inactive windows now. I don't know much else about OS X but that's the one thing I wanted in this.

Though I really don't know how useful it is in day-to-day life.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spud posted:

Of course I changed that setting. I have been in control of updates since Windows 3.1 when I would get them on floppies. I am not asking this as someone "new to computers".

Your erroneous assumption that you know anything about modern operating systems because you've used old ones is a common pitfall. I've seen it happen to family members, friends, and co-workers.

Windows automatically downloads updates in the background, and it knows when not to download by monitoring your bandwidth usage so as to not interrupt streaming, gaming, etc. There is no issue.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Segmentation Fault posted:

Your erroneous assumption that you know anything about modern operating systems because you've used old ones is a common pitfall. I've seen it happen to family members, friends, and co-workers.

Windows automatically downloads updates in the background, and it knows when not to download by monitoring your bandwidth usage so as to not interrupt streaming, gaming, etc. There is no issue.

Thanks!

I did not know this.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
Why is it not possible to pin programs to the Start Menu in the gray area when "Show most used apps" is turned off?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

Damnit you guys chased off an Enterprise Architect. :flipoff:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeeeaahhh... Having updates forced on your system without any option to stop them is a concern that plenty of people have, and they don't have some mental condition just because they want easy control of what happens on their PCs without having to go into registry hacks. It doesn't matter when the automatic updates are scheduled by default or that you can reschedule them, if they're still being forced on your system. Also, some of us do still only have access to lovely ~5 Mbit DSL connections. Not everyone lives in a technological utopia.

I'll crush your skull for $50, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Grog posted:

Yeeeaahhh... Having updates forced on your system without any option to stop them is a concern that plenty of people have, and they don't have some mental condition just because they want easy control of what happens on their PCs without having to go into registry hacks. It doesn't matter when the automatic updates are scheduled by default or that you can reschedule them, if they're still being forced on your system. Also, some of us do still only have access to lovely ~5 Mbit DSL connections. Not everyone lives in a technological utopia.

I'll crush your skull for $50, though.

Don't know if this still works, but according to MS, you shouldn't need any registry hacking.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

quote:

To prevent the driver or update from being reinstalled, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface for hiding and showing Windows Updates and drivers for Windows 10 Insider Preview. You can obtain and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter by downloading it from the Microsoft Download Center.

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package now.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Hiyoshi posted:

Why is it not possible to pin programs to the Start Menu in the gray area when "Show most used apps" is turned off?

Because the entire point of the tiles area is that you pin them there and get more detailed information with the whole live tiles concept.

One thing I would like though is better control of the width of the start menu.

xylo posted:

Hi thread

Internally we're having big discussion about Windows Update and drivers. Many of us (like you) just got bit by the nVidia driver update yesterday. I'm pointing a few of the people driving this to read posts from you after this one to pick up feedback on WU updating drivers in general (and you're experience from yesterday.)

Some questions to help stir the discussion a bit, but please don't limit your feedback to these.

1. Should windows update be allowed to update drivers?
2. If yes, how should driver updates be handled (silent, user prompt, notification window only, etc)
3. Are there instances you feel a driver should never be touched? (newer version, never overwrite user installed, only very out of date, security fix only, etc)
4. How would you like to see drivers provided/updated?
5. What is your experience with taking driver updates from Windows Update (not just yesterday, but also in the past). Examples, stores, welcome.
1. Yes, it's very convenient.
2. By default they should be automatic (silent) as they are now. However, you should be able to change that behavior so it lets you select what drivers you want from a list just as it worked in previous versions of Windows. Also with the option to hide drivers by device.
3. If driver updates have been disabled for a particular device.
4. Windows update works great so long as you can control things. In particular I think the nVidia driver should be split into multiple components as it allows you to select when you manually install one. I don't need 3D vision drivers.
5. For Windows 10, the nVidia update was the only time I was forced to rollback. For previous versions, I think I remember breaking something due to a driver update a year ago. I can't remember what it was though. Having bad things happen due to driver updates is very rare.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 26, 2015

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I did my upgrade from 7 Friday and everything is great, until I walk away.

If I lock/sleep and wake back up immediately no problem- but if I leave it either locked and running, or sleeping overnight or even for 2-3 hours I'll come back to a frozen black screen and have to reboot. I've been googling with no success- I disabled the lock screen image so I get an immediate password prompt, but that didn't fix it. As of now I'm set to never sleep the PC or Display but nothing seems to help.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I did my upgrade from 7 Friday and everything is great, until I walk away.

If I lock/sleep and wake back up immediately no problem- but if I leave it either locked and running, or sleeping overnight or even for 2-3 hours I'll come back to a frozen black screen and have to reboot. I've been googling with no success- I disabled the lock screen image so I get an immediate password prompt, but that didn't fix it. As of now I'm set to never sleep the PC or Display but nothing seems to help.

Check your bios/uefi settings?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

mayodreams posted:

Unfortunately, Ctrl+Win+Up/Down does the same thing as Win+Up/Down (instead of nothing, or something different) so it's kind of easy to max/min windows when switching desktops if you fat finger the shortcut.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ThermoPhysical posted:

Don't know if this still works, but according to MS, you shouldn't need any registry hacking.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

It does, but if it's drivers or something you'll need to run it fast. Like 'put it on the root of your Windows install media and run it first thing after connecting Internet' fast. There may not be 'fast enough' if you're doing an upgrade install.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

spud posted:

Who seriously does compile jobs locally these days, anyway? (Edit: especially in true enterprise) You should be using a well-controlled compile farm. You're coming across as either yesteryear's engineer or a troll.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you need absolute control over your machine during compilation and for whatever reason need to do things locally (maybe its a small tool few people use -- I get that), consider perhaps building with a snapshotted, non-networked VM. Windows 10 has Hyper-V built-in.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It does, but if it's drivers or something you'll need to run it fast. Like 'put it on the root of your Windows install media and run it first thing after connecting Internet' fast. There may not be 'fast enough' if you're doing an upgrade install.

Would probably need a hotkey or something for it then. :v I'm having the same problem Synaptics driver trying to control the computer with it's lovely touch zones and impossible scrolling.

I uninstalled it and MS immediately reinstalled it because it downloaded it that fast. Didn't even get a chance to use this.

Yay Windows 10.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm still waiting for the day when a Windows update doesn't require reboots. That's my only problem with forced updates, really. :smith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Who seriously does compile jobs locally these days, anyway? (Edit: especially in true enterprise) You should be using a well-controlled compile farm. You're coming across as either yesteryear's engineer or a troll.

He's most likely the former.

Question: Does anyone know if it's possible to set up the Users directory on a different partition from the system partition in Windows 10, and if so how?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows-10s-automatic-updates-for-nvidia-drivers-could-break-your-computer/

Yeeahh...10's PR is going to be worse than Vista's if MS doesn't fix the forced driver problem. At least with Vista, consumers were only somewhat at fault thinking their ancient XP boxes could run it...but this time around, the OS is just breaking everything from touchpads to GPUs thinking it knows the best drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah despite setting everything I could in the options to either defer updates or prompt me to install them, Win10 just killed my computer again while I was actively using it by breaking the nvidia drivers. Lost my secondary monitor and had to reboot twice (including forced restart because the driver installation hung) before I could do anything. At least it actually updated them this time instead of straight up uninstalling them. I honestly can't believe they are going live with it like this.

E: LOL the drivers it installed are completely broken and causing graphical artifacts to appear all over everything :bravo:

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 27, 2015

• Locked thread