Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

MREBoy posted:

The other torpedo group goes after me, I take one in the bow.

I love how he started saying "get away from me!" for absolutely no reason, right after you'd spent the last few minutes protecting him.

Near the end I was sailing about 2 km off his side just waiting to send a salvo of torpedoes into him. It's too bad the game was so close and I would have won the game for the other team by doing it. I had to settle with setting him on fire with some HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well I just bought the model of the Bismark, Lets see how it is,

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The Colorado is really beating in the fact that I made a mistake going with Battleship over Cruisers.

The incredibly poor accuracy and resulting low DPS is easily the largest problem.
AP Shell tendency to do highly variable (see: often really, really low) damage outside of citadel hits is a problem. Particularly given the accuracy issues.
The lack of ability to avoid torps is a problem.
DPS from small/medium caliber guns with HE against heavy armor is a problem. Not entirely because of but certainly not helped by the current fire situation.
Their relative blindness is a problem, particularly given how easy they are to spot.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm pretty sure the Colorado is less survivable than a Cleveland considering how big, slow and not maneuvrable it is.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Taking out my Atlanta and promply telling some idiot that his idiot tactics are pretty idiotic, he called me a wallet warrior. Well, I showed him that I was indeed a wallet warrior and was best of the team.

After 2 rather meh rounds in the Kuma quickly afterwards, I got a nice balanced match, pummled another Kuma and a Omaha into submission with some cits, before torping a BB at long range and one that I broadsided at about ~1 km.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I've unlocked the Chester and Chikuma...is it recommended to focus on one tree or one type of ship? I also unlocked the Sampson, but I'm utterly useless in it.

So far I like the cruisers....i think i like the Chester a bit more than the Chikuma, but I don't have the Chikuma fully upgraded yet. I've heard a lot of people saying the IJN cruisers are superior to the US cruisers.

I'm also a bit leery about Battleships after reading the last few pages of this thread...are they really that bad?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
If you see Vergil_WL in NA please kill that piece of poo poo. loving edge grinding with Atago.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've unlocked the Chester and Chikuma...is it recommended to focus on one tree or one type of ship? I also unlocked the Sampson, but I'm utterly useless in it.

So far I like the cruisers....i think i like the Chester a bit more than the Chikuma, but I don't have the Chikuma fully upgraded yet. I've heard a lot of people saying the IJN cruisers are superior to the US cruisers.

I'm also a bit leery about Battleships after reading the last few pages of this thread...are they really that bad?

Nah, it's perfectly doable to go with several ship types at once, and it's probably a good idea to make sure things don't get tedious.

As a general rule of thumb, japanese cruisers tend to have better and longer ranged torpedoes, and their main armament tends to be a relatively small number of somewhat bigger guns. American cruisers on the other hand tend to have a shitload of somewhat smaller guns that can pummel targets into oblivion in a hurry. They're both perfectly viable and fun to play as. The St. Louis, Omaha, and Kuma are all very fun and can be unlocked rather quickly.

Battleships can be fun, but take a while to get good. The american tree gets a pretty good one early in the Wyoming and New York. In the japanese tree you have to suffer through the rather bad Kawachi and Myogi first, but the Kongo is pretty drat great once you get there.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 26, 2015

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
The Wyoming is a surprisingly decent battleship. I think the layout is goofy as poo poo but man alive is it better than the Myogi. I'm using the first hull though because frankly I'd rather have the zillion secondary guns than the AA when I get stuck in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

The Wyoming is a surprisingly decent battleship. I think the layout is goofy as poo poo but man alive is it better than the Myogi. I'm using the first hull though because frankly I'd rather have the zillion secondary guns than the AA when I get stuck in.

This is a mistake. The AA will really help you dissuade TBs from hovering over trying to wait for the right moment to manual drop you.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Krogort posted:

I'm pretty sure the Colorado is less survivable than a Cleveland considering how big, slow and not maneuvrable it is.

I find it amusing that the Colorado displays lower stats than the New Mexico for Survivability/Artillery/Maneuverability/Concealment. Like, you go up the tech tree and the stats rise with each tier until you get the Colorado and suddenly you're in a ship unambiguously, statistically worse in every way than its predecessor. Except AAA.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
It's going to take a lot of 500xp Furutaka losses to get to the Aoba, oy. At least the Minekaze is a fun distraction between rounds.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Woodchip posted:

It's going to take a lot of 500xp Furutaka losses to get to the Aoba, oy. At least the Minekaze is a fun distraction between rounds.

Free XP it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Night10194 posted:

American DDs are great at bullying other DDs and taking their lunch money before flicking out their torpedo switchblades and mugging a battleship.

I got called a scrub, idiot, n00b and plain bad player for only taking out an enemy destroyer and battleship in my last game (there was only myself and the opposing team player in destroyers in the match). Meanwhile, some idiot decides to take his St Louis up against a Myogi and gets melted and wonders why. Then there was the twat asking what the difference was between HE and AP and when to use it. I swear to God, these pubbies are getting dumber the more they play. I'm losing hope on ever winning a match again - already went from a 61% win-rate down to 50% over the course of about 15 matches (admittedly I only have 86 battles right now), and it doesn't look like there's an end in sight.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

OSad posted:

Armored Warfare let players buy into the game too, for the same prices you could pay for World of Warships, but had probably the added "benefit" of getting super special founder icons for your forums account or something. Plus the 70-dollar one would get you a lot of stuff, including a fairly high-tier MBT, 90 days of premium time and a nice chunk of gold to play around with.

But even in beta weekends, where you could not buy your way in, WoWs from what I remember could hold up 1500 to 3000 players. The problem is that AW doesn't feel that much different at all from World of Tanks, except for some funky vehicle designs, missile launchers, slightly different variations on armor and ammunition, and a rapid-firing prototype variation on artillery that doesn't do as much damage but is honestly just as annoying. Some of this may sound exciting, but I guarantee it doesn't hold the core gameplay any higher up than WoT.

Coupled with a somewhat barebones PvE game mode that got a really exaggerated trailer which really did not at all reflect on the actual experience of the mode, and it's no wonder that the game can barely hold up a player base. Honestly, it would do much better if it tried to portray itself as an actual modern vehicle combat experience instead of an arcade-y, WoT clone.

But hey, it's a beta. We'll see, right? :shrug:

You pretty much expanded on what I was going to reply with... much more elaborately. I like to refer to AW as WoT with a coat of lipstick.

I'll add to it that the same player base that they are attempting to court from WoT, at least the better players who have been there for a while and have a garage full of tanks won't ditch that for AW. Especially when the current population of players is full of horrible bottom dwelling morlocks.

I know most Internet games nowadays have this same toxic environment so the best we can do is deal with it, become one of them or quit playing.

AW has a lot of players but they just stopped playing it seems.

Daylen get on the TS server and find some goons to play with.. this game can be unbearable solo. At least with one or two other people it doesn't feel as bad.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 26, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Okay, just re-installed TS and joined the Goon channel (I think) - I'm playing under the alias Evolvate.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 26, 2015

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

demonR6 posted:

You pretty much expanded on what I was going to reply with... much more elaborately. I like to refer to AW as WoT with a coat of lipstick.

I'll add to it that the same player base that they are attempting to court from WoT, at least the better players who have been there for a while and have a garage full of tanks won't ditch that for AW. Especially when the current population of players is full of horrible bottom dwelling morlocks.

I know most Internet games nowadays have this same toxic environment so the best we can do is deal with it, become one of them or quit playing.

AW has a lot of players but they just stopped playing it seems.

Daylen get on the TS server and find some goons to play with.. this game can be unbearable solo. At least with one or two other people it doesn't feel as bad.

Well, people stopped playing mostly because the alpha is still very grindy past about tier 5 and they're going to wipe your progress. Why waste time grinding tanks you'll lose in a few weeks/months and need to re-grind anyways.

Aside from that it has some issues, too.

First, it plays very similarly to WoT. That's not a good thing if they want to pull people out of WoT.

Second, it's actually a bit more arcade-y with some pretty arbitrary mechanics thrown in for the sake of dividing things into different classes that feel a bit...off. As an example - the AFVs considered "light tanks" can fire very accurately on the move, even the old ones with lovely or no gun stabilizers. Main battle tanks, however, have to stop a few seconds to shoot with any kind of accuracy, even the ultra-modern ones with computerized fire-control systems and fully stabilized guns. Main battle tanks are also drat near blind, with super short view ranges compared to every other vehicle class - regardless of often having far better optics/sensor suites. It honestly feels a bit contrived - especially for the people who know anything at all about tanks.

Second, there's a massive difference in power between the tiers. One tier is about a 20-25% statistical advantage in both HP and damage. So without even factoring in poo poo like higher tier vehicles having better armor/mobility/gadgets a dude one tier over you is sporting a 50% statistical advantage. That's huge. Two tiers over you? Enjoy trying to find a place on his tank to tickle him to death before he 2 shots you!

Third, artillery is back and, as the previous poster said, it works a bit differently but tends to be just as annoying (accurate/fast reload/high DPS rather than inaccurate/slow reload/high alpha damage) as it was in WoT. The cycle of nerfs is already in full swing and camping behind tall things ala WoT has become a thing in this game since they added the arty.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 26, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Welp, 7 defeats in a row. loving hell :argh:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Aesis posted:

Welp, 7 defeats in a row. loving hell :argh:
Just had three defeats in a row because of the matchmaking system being utterly unable of balancing carriers.
Last one was especially bad with a single Bogue against an Independance and a Ryujo, and the only ships with any decent AA capabilities were my Cleveland and another guy's.
Oh and the carriers were not in a division, so no excuses there. :downs:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Woodchip posted:

Play it like a pubbie battleship. Follow the lemming herd and stay well behind them. The guns are accurate with good velocity so you can hit things reliably from long range, unlike the wannabe sniper battleships. Turn and start running at the first sign of trouble so your guns will have time to traverse. The Furutaka actually does very well kiting. You can run straight away during the long reload then unmask all of your guns with a little 15 degree turn. Most people will not be able to hit you bobbing and weaving while moving away.

Join up with goons on TS. The bonus xp from winning will reduce the grind considerably. I got extremely lucky with pubbie teams and got through it in 29 games with a miraculous winning percentage and all the free xp I could spare.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Fun battle in my Kongo. First time taking it out, too. Ended it by ramming a Langley when I had 36000 HP left (he did 33k in the ram). The kongo is a breath of fresh air after the Myogi. Not that excited about Fuso. I just prefer the 4 gun battleships.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 26, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Phoenix gets so much better once you get all the guns, learn where Citadels are, and get used to it.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
After the CB to OB wipe I've been very sad having to grind up through all sorts of awful ships again. So I decided to treat my sadness with the Atlanta, cause gently caress the Yubari was making me sad as my premium ship.

I've always known how it feels to be on the receiving end of the Atlanta, but to be dishing it out. Oh lordy.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

And the blows to my ego keep coming - i got hit by a single shell from a cruiser in my Sims and instantly blew up. Sigh.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
So I got the Aoba, what upgrades are good on it? I guess the artillery accuracy?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

And the blows to my ego keep coming - i got hit by a single shell from a cruiser in my Sims and instantly blew up. Sigh.

I had this happen in a match last night. I was having the beginnings of a great game in my Omaha, and one shell from a SoCar just plods right on over as I'm serpentining and blammo, half health to dead, detonation award. In the very next match, I was spamming HE at a long range on a DD and one last shot hit right as he went out of range and went all Bikini Atoll. My first ever receiving and giving. :laugh:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

grrarg posted:

Play it like a pubbie battleship. Follow the lemming herd and stay well behind them. The guns are accurate with good velocity so you can hit things reliably from long range, unlike the wannabe sniper battleships. Turn and start running at the first sign of trouble so your guns will have time to traverse. The Furutaka actually does very well kiting. You can run straight away during the long reload then unmask all of your guns with a little 15 degree turn. Most people will not be able to hit you bobbing and weaving while moving away.

Join up with goons on TS. The bonus xp from winning will reduce the grind considerably. I got extremely lucky with pubbie teams and got through it in 29 games with a miraculous winning percentage and all the free xp I could spare.

Any Ibuki tips? I'll probably get one in a week or so and everyone I've talked to says it's mediocre.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Clemson is the boat of heroes.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

The Kuma owns. If only I could use this boat to retrain my commanders, I'd be happy.

I'll second that. It's great for bullying tiers 2-4 and the torpedoes make it viable against T5 boats.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tahirovic posted:

I wonder if the code works on NA. Also if anyone would want the code only, I am probably gonna order 1 for myself, could just order 2 and give you the 2nd code.

If you don't want the code, pay half as much and get the 1/700 scale Trumpeter kit. They make a much better model than Italeri historically, although I can't say that's for sure true of this model.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

wdarkk posted:

Any Ibuki tips? I'll probably get one in a week or so and everyone I've talked to says it's mediocre.
It plays pretty much exactly like a tougher Myoko with a better turret arrangement and traverse at the expense of slower rate of fire. I can see how people would call it mediocre coming off the Mogami and because it is so similar to the Myoko. Still better than slogging through Pensacola, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wdarkk posted:

It's a 203mm Mogami+1 and plays like it. Except you now have the battleship repair ability.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

If you missed out on the Murmansk, there are people selling codes here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3enjmu/kinguin_is_selling_murmansk_bundle_7_days_premium/

There are still retailers listing it for 3.20, totaling ~3.70. I bought one and it worked. :)

e: + 1000g, port slot, and 7 days of premium!

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 26, 2015

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

grrarg posted:

Sounds good. Who can give me perms to join the TS lobby? I'm on as this name.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When the USSR boats come out, they'd better have the Potemkin as their first BB.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TehKeen posted:

If you missed out on the Murmansk, there are people selling codes here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3enjmu/kinguin_is_selling_murmansk_bundle_7_days_premium/

There are still retailers listing it for 3.20, totaling ~3.70. I bought one and it worked. :)

e: + 1000g, port slot, and 7 days of premium!

Oh wow, I bought one and yep, works like a charm. Now I don't have to regret not picking up one of those humble bundle codes!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I wonder if those Murmansk codes work on an account with a humble bundle code, a couple thousand gold for 3 bux would be a pretty good deal.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In World of Tanks there's a simmilar code for a German tank destroyer (value is way higher though). You can use that code up to three times per account, so it's worth trying with the Murmansk one.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

James Garfield posted:

I wonder if those Murmansk codes work on an account with a humble bundle code, a couple thousand gold for 3 bux would be a pretty good deal.

I believe they don't as I think it IS the humble bundle code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Forget XP, its credits that are the huge grind in this game. I've got 2 tier 7's unlocked that I would have to grind Atago games all afternoon just to buy one of.