Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

It's more that ... Well, I hate to use other media as an example, but the main arc of the bonus episode of Kill la Kill is that, after saving the world, the main cast don't have anything to do. They've spent the entire series forging themselves into weapons to save reality, and now they are expected to simply find something mundane to do. I can't imagine telling Vriska or Meenah that 'Hey, everything is safe! You can live a normal, mundane life!' and having it stick.

Actually, you'd be pretty much telling Vriska to live Aranea's life, presumably. Well, based on what we know, which is admittedly very little.

Well, the general ending this is heading towards is the cast becoming gods of a new universe. Or at least living in a universe they created while being gods. Vriska could probably sink her teeth into that pretty well! As could Meenah, or any of the more ambitious members of the cast.

Although there's probably room for someone to become some sort of godly administrator of the Furthest Ring, Pickle Inspector style. I guess that's the other possible ending, since they're all outside of the universes in the place that they get made. Living in a new universe might feel like solving all the conflicts of The Matrix with the reward of going back to live in the matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I would have thought Aradia would be Furthest Administrator.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

WAR FOOT posted:

Actually, you'd be pretty much telling Vriska to live Aranea's life, presumably. Well, based on what we know, which is admittedly very little.
Counterpoint: (Vriska)

But it's not something you'd tell her so much as a conclusion she will have to come up with on her own.

And should things be a double reach around and they all make Beforus maybe that's the life Vriska would actually want and everything that made Aranea Kindfang comes somehow from wanting to emulate her own dancester.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its worth remembering that vriska has at least claimed to want to stop having to worry about proving that shes the best, and to give "being boring" a try. she seemed to do alright on the meteor - no one ended up dying, at least.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really hope Vriska makes it past the ending, even if for no other reason than that I'd loving hate if she died without ever seeing Terezi again. TZ doesn't deserve that poo poo, she should be happy after all the lovely angst she had to go through with her moirail. And Vriska should be happy too, she should finally be able to be at peace just like she said she wanted before going to fight Jack.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

its worth remembering that vriska has at least claimed to want to stop having to worry about proving that shes the best, and to give "being boring" a try. she seemed to do alright on the meteor - no one ended up dying, at least.

Vriska says a lot of things. Like how she felt bad about killing Tavros, then fed untold millions of ghosts to Lord English.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I really hope Vriska makes it past the ending, even if for no other reason than that I'd loving hate if she died without ever seeing Terezi again. TZ doesn't deserve that poo poo, she should be happy after all the lovely angst she had to go through with her moirail. And Vriska should be happy too, she should finally be able to be at peace just like she said she wanted before going to fight Jack.

Vriska's a fucker and lies a lot about how she feels about things. Vriska's not going to be at peace unless she's the one who deals the final blow or devises the plan that leads to LE's defeat because she is ridiculously self-centered and wants to be the most important character in the story. Honestly, I can't see this ending with Vriska actually saving the day, so the only way she's going to be at peace is through some major character development. And well, through her interactions with (Vriska) I think we've got a decent understanding of how Vriska feels about changing in any way.

WAR FOOT posted:

Vriska says a lot of things. Like how she felt bad about killing Tavros, then fed untold millions of ghosts to Lord English.

Well to be fair she probably did feel bad about killing Tavros, but she blamed it on him. And she didn't know those millions of ghosts, so gently caress em who gives a poo poo.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

gamzee works the same way.

Imagine four clowns on the edge of a cliff

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gamzee is terrible clown trash and even he will get a happy ending, mark my words my invertebrothers.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vriska's a fucker and lies a lot about how she feels about things. Vriska's not going to be at peace unless she's the one who deals the final blow or devises the plan that leads to LE's defeat because she is ridiculously self-centered and wants to be the most important character in the story. Honestly, I can't see this ending with Vriska actually saving the day, so the only way she's going to be at peace is through some major character development. And well, through her interactions with (Vriska) I think we've got a decent understanding of how Vriska feels about changing in any way.

I actually doubt she'd be at peace just from that stuff tbh. She's pathologically competitive, one big win may not just "fix" her issues. That's just what she thinks she needs because she's a damaged person. But I do believe that she does want to settle down and stop being such trash all the time and she is capable of it. Like paranoid randroid pointed out she spent 3 years in relative domestic bliss with Terezi on the meteor. I think what she needs is simply security and unconditional fellowship/love so that she doesn't feel the pressure to try so drat hard all the time. The big thing John did was just listen to her and not judge her so she let her walls down.

And no, Vriska does want to change. One of the things she threw in (Vriska's) face was that she'd changed (even if she might not have changed that much), she just took umbrage at (Vriska's) passivity in the face of annihilation and how she'd become kind of a needy wimp.

Edit: Actually, looking at her talk with Terezi shows Vriska as being pretty perceptive about how no-one ever really gets "fixed", you just have to do your best and be ok with the fact that you're flawed. Which indicates that maybe she's not as bad as we thought. She's still crazy (and completely went against that by exploding at (Vriska) because she's a crazy person), but maybe that's not so bad. Hmm.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2015

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

If you got don't realize that the comic is gonna end with all the characters coming back to life and waking up in a Homestuck highschool/coffee shop AU then I don't know what comic yall are reading.

Edit:Vice Principle Hussie

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Who's the principal?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
The few remaining straight characters will come back as incestual, fulfilling the ouroborous cycle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hussie never made sense in the greater narrative of SBURB anyway so let him burn on his pyre of awkward selfies.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Who's the principal?

Cal.

Or You, The Reader. Standing next to the suicide stump.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Horse rancher AU or bust.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ariong posted:

Who's the principal?

Doc Scratch.

Failing that, a horse.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Ryan North.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vriska's a fucker and lies a lot about how she feels about things
not really. well, yeah, shes a total fucker. but she kinda.... doesnt really lie about stuff?

terezi accuses her of lying about feeding her lusus, but aside from that the only other real example we have of her being duplicitous with any kind of success is the leadership squabble for blue team, and im still not entirely sure who she was actually planning on backstabbing. not that it really matters, because that whole situation was her getting played by everyone. she deffo has the tendency to tell the truth in ways that serve her purposes, see for example her telling john "go to sleep on this rock and youll get god tiered", but when anyone challenges her on being shady she spills the beans immediately and comprehensively.

as for how she feels about things pertaining to herself, i think its less that she lies and more that she is really super invested in believing that she feels in a particular way and continues to believe she feels that way until incontrovertible proof gets handed to her that she doesnt actually want whatever it is she thinks she wants. shes kind the logical, intense extension of tavros's whole "believing in fake things makes them slightly less fake" schtick.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 26, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ariong posted:

Who's the principal?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

not really. well, yeah, shes a total fucker. but she kinda.... doesnt really lie about stuff?

terezi accuses her of lying about feeding her lusus, but aside from that the only other real example we have of her being duplicitous with any kind of success is the leadership squabble for blue team, and im still not entirely sure who she was actually planning on backstabbing. not that it really matters, because that whole situation was her getting played by everyone. she deffo has the tendency to tell the truth in ways that serve her purposes, see for example her telling john "go to sleep on this rock and youll get god tiered", but when anyone challenges her on being shady she spills the beans immediately and comprehensively.

as for how she feels about things pertaining to herself, i think its less that she lies and more that she is really super invested in believing that she feels in a particular way and continues to believe she feels that way until incontrovertible proof gets handed to her that she doesnt actually want whatever it is she thinks she wants. shes kind the logical, intense extension of tavros's whole "believing in fake things makes them slightly less fake" schtick.

I think while she doesn't necessarily LIE and has been known to expunge facts when pestered about it, she thinks highly of herself as some sort of DM for John.

When pressed she spills the beans. But to her it's probably more like "Ugh fine I'll stop playing the game and just outright tell you; go south, morons."
She thinks it's all an elaborate FLARP session. Not literally, obviously she knows it's real, but she basically treats everyone like players in a game who, if they die, it's nothing more than an inconvenience. Meanwhile, her super badass unstoppable DMPC will go off and kill the big bad while you nerds hem and haw about who fights these tertiary villains.

In her head she plays the role of the (kind of lovely) DM who directs everyone and will break the fourth wall and metagame if people aren't getting her super cool story right.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think the human kids would adapt to winning the game pretty well, whether they end up as Gods or living like regular people again. None of them seem to need conflict and enemies to fight, if anything dealing with Lord English and his agents has been a big hassle. I guess Dirk might be a bit risky if left to his own devices but he seems very aware of that while thinking of ways to divert his meddling tendencies and I think having Dave around might also help. If the epilogue reaches beyond showing them crossing into the new universe and actually follows up to see what the kids are up to that should work fine.

Honestly I think everyone would be fine without some big enemy to fight or purpose to complete with the exception of Vriska, and the odds of Vriska surviving aren't great whereas even if (Vriska) could adapt and change she's still dead. Heck the Trolls will have the revived Troll race to look after and get involved with so they should be plenty busy. An epilogue that touches on what all the characters get up to in the new universe should be easy enough to fill out.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I want the ending to reveal that becoming "Gods" actually means that literally every character who ever appeared in Homestuck gets prototyped together into a single omnipotent sprite.

...Actually, while writing the above, I realized that I'm literally describing Instrumentality, so maybe not.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Bell_ posted:

Counterpoint: (Vriska)

But it's not something you'd tell her so much as a conclusion she will have to come up with on her own.

And should things be a double reach around and they all make Beforus maybe that's the life Vriska would actually want and everything that made Aranea Kindfang comes somehow from wanting to emulate her own dancester.

Introduction to Homestuck Debate!

• Point: Vriska

• Counterpoint: (Vriska)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So... Vriska and satisfying arc conclusions.

Vriska, more than any other character, is the one whose ideal resolution is "find another adventure to go power game." Which means she can be denied any sort of ultimate reward, but still get a resolution.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

upd8

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ John

Never blush again

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I still can't even grasp that this John <3< Terezi stuff is even close to being a thing and I doubt I ever will. John is a good friendleader.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The little rear end makes its glorious comeback.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Made this special for this update.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 27, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I made it about two lines into Dave's fuzzy dialogue before realizing what was happening and bursting out laughing. drat that was a hell of a setup.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

DaveKap posted:

Woah, DaveKap, chill out.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Classtoise posted:

Woah, DaveKap, chill out.
:blush:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

No John, not Vriska. Never Vriska.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Oh my god that was the most adorable update. And the stupid foam rear end communicator made a comeback. UH.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Whoa, dude. I'm flattered, but such blatant solicitations aren't my thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, John, never stop being adorable. "hello, hummingbird" indeed.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, John, never stop being adorable. "hello, hummingbird" indeed.

It's been pointed out that this is a line from Con Air.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Plom Bar posted:

It's been pointed out that this is a line from Con Air.

yes, well done, reference secured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Well. One more day, everybody to battle stations, and then we all go back to whatever passes for our normal lives.