Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

But yellow was just a retelling of early Daredevil comics. His run also brought back Colossus, introduced SWORD, and got rid of Kitty for a while.

And I would credit him with making Kitty an A-lister again in the first place. I think it's Whedon's doing that she's around so much today. And since she's my favorite X-Man, I appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

Dude, Mike Carey and Kieron Gillen. Fabian Nicieza from side books.

No, maybe not, and there's certainly writers I enjoyed on X-Men (either on the main titles or otherwise) than I did Whedon on Astonishing. I was talking about perception or "common knowledge" or whatever. What I'm saying is that if you go on to most comic book sites and ask, "What's the best run on X-Men?" or look up polls of the most popular X-Men runs, the three answers or the top three results you're most likely to get are Claremont, Morrison and Whedon (usually in that order). It's those three at one end of the scale and Austen at the other.

I'd personally rate Carey and Spurrier ahead of Whedon. I'd rate Alan Davis's solo run as writer of Excalibur ahead of Whedon. But Whedon was a Nerd Favourite before he wrote X-Men; getting him was a big deal ad his name on the covers attracted a lot of people to the comic as much as the content, so he's the one the fans put in the top three.

It's like, BSS generally dislikes Dan Slott as Spider-Man writer, right? You go on most comic sites other than this one, and people praise him as a genius. Like, I think there was a poll on CBR a while back where he was he third most popular Spidey writer after Stan Lee and Brian Bendis. I think it's the same with Whedon's X-Men.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endless Mike posted:

NO.

EDIT: Actually, his Exiles run wasn't horrible.

It was super terrible

Magik was the absolute worst and the concentrated embodiment of all that is Austen

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blockhouse posted:

It was super terrible

Magik was the absolute worst and the concentrated embodiment of all that is Austen

It is still not the worst Exiles run.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Apparently Austen's current gig is as a director for a show called "Part-Time Hero" on Disney Animated, which I did not see coming. Apparently he was on "Steven Universe" for a while.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Austen's always at the bottom but two that I've seen placed just above him fairly consistently are actually Alan Davis and Matt Fraction (I like the former's X-Men a lot and haven't really read the latter).

I think Fraction gets more poo poo than he deserves because he was saddled with Greg Land for most of his run. Alan Davis as a writer is kind of Generic Superhero Guy.

Really, there's a pretty huge gap between Austen and everyone else. The X-Men have had a pretty good run overall, even in the last few years when nobody seemed quite sure what to do with them and the writers were neglecting characters left and right.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I feel like the Brubaker run was worse than Fraction's run, but then, it was competing with my favorite of Carey's runs (I never got into X-Men: Legacy as much). And also was boring as poo poo 90% of the time while Fraction had something occasionally fun happen.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jiro posted:

Woah, woah, woah, I would never call whatever Bendis has been trying to do in Uncanny as cool. More like meandering in circles to nowhere for a super long rear end time. I do think that if you're going to specifically run a book in its own self contained thing then you probably should just hit the pause button on it and pick it up after the event is over. Have some side stories with the goldballs and friends coping with after the end of everything or blah and then just move on from there. But honestly Secret Wars and its spin offs are way better than current x-books by far save for Spider-Man and the X-Men. Old Man Logan is far and away the best story Bendis has done with mutants so far.

I was talking more in a general sense. All the little SW books are neat, but, like, we could have had those neat books anyway. It's all just a bunch of What Ifs where somebody mentions "LORD GOD DOOM" in a halting manner at some point and then goes on with their own poo poo.

I will cop to being a trash can that likes Bendis' meandering, decompressed stories in general however.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wanderer posted:

Apparently Austen's current gig is as a director for a show called "Part-Time Hero" on Disney Animated, which I did not see coming. Apparently he was on "Steven Universe" for a while.

I think Fraction gets more poo poo than he deserves because he was saddled with Greg Land for most of his run. Alan Davis as a writer is kind of Generic Superhero Guy.

Really, there's a pretty huge gap between Austen and everyone else. The X-Men have had a pretty good run overall, even in the last few years when nobody seemed quite sure what to do with them and the writers were neglecting characters left and right.

There were definitely people on this forum who loved Fraction's run while it was ongoing, the fact alone there's proof of multiple people liking it makes it a pretty wide gap from Austen.

I do wonder if another artist besides Land would've helped my perception of it. I wouldn't have been so immediately negative towards it. But I hated so much of what his run, and the stuff that I didn't think was awful was stuff were basically retellings of 90s X-Factor stories.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I was talking more in a general sense. All the little SW books are neat, but, like, we could have had those neat books anyway. It's all just a bunch of What Ifs where somebody mentions "LORD GOD DOOM" in a halting manner at some point and then goes on with their own poo poo.

I will cop to being a trash can that likes Bendis' meandering, decompressed stories in general however.

Everyone seems to have had the option to continue if they wanted to. Silver Surfer has like 3 more pre-SW issues.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm into the part of New Mutants were Sienkiewicz is doing a lot of the art. Its really neat how he draws Warlock, but he also seems to use the same style for everything, like the Demon Bear and Sunspot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rick posted:

There were definitely people on this forum who loved Fraction's run while it was ongoing, the fact alone there's proof of multiple people liking it makes it a pretty wide gap from Austen.

I do wonder if another artist besides Land would've helped my perception of it. I wouldn't have been so immediately negative towards it. But I hated so much of what his run, and the stuff that I didn't think was awful was stuff were basically retellings of 90s X-Factor stories.

I really think Fraction's run wasn't all that bad, and that our recollection of it is tainted by Fear Itself (which was one in a long list of examples of a smaller story that suffered immeasurably when it was made to balloon out to a linewide crossover) and by Greg Land's art.

I mean, it wasn't Morrison or anything, but it wasn't bad. I do wonder how many of his stories were essentially retooled story ideas that he never got the chance to do with The Order after it was cancelled so criminally, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I really think Fraction's run wasn't all that bad, and that our recollection of it is tainted by Fear Itself (which was one in a long list of examples of a smaller story that suffered immeasurably when it was made to balloon out to a linewide crossover) and by Greg Land's art.

I mean, it wasn't Morrison or anything, but it wasn't bad. I do wonder how many of his stories were essentially retooled story ideas that he never got the chance to do with The Order after it was cancelled so criminally, though.

Gillen was the sole writer during fear itself

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't hate Brian Wood's Adjectiveless X-Men, and if we can count books that don't actually have X-Men in the title but are about mutants, Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix is loving brilliant, and while I have't read it yet, I've heard good things about Warren Ellis' Excalibur, and I like Warren Ellis in general (though I know the consensus is against his Astonishing X-Men).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't hate Brian Wood's Adjectiveless X-Men, and if we can count books that don't actually have X-Men in the title but are about mutants, Milligan/Allred's X-Force/X-Statix is loving brilliant, and while I have't read it yet, I've heard good things about Warren Ellis' Excalibur, and I like Warren Ellis in general (though I know the consensus is against his Astonishing X-Men).

Ellis's first arc was decent unless you happened to be a fan of Forge, his second was pretty good, and Kaare Andrews managed to gently caress up the third beyond all recognition.

His Excalibur hasn't aged particularly well, but it's head and shoulders above everything else that was going on in the X-books at the time.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Agreed about x-Statix but since people are talking about bad X-Men runs, Peter Milligans short X-Men run is pretty bad. Arguably because people were too hyped for him some some crazy genre breaking stuff and he just turned in a bland workman like book.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Fraction was saddled with not just Greg Land on art but when you were given a respite there was a good chance you'd have Portacio art instead. I don't think it was a bad run per se, but I never did really swallow him using his short(ish) run to bring back both Kitty Pryde and Psylocke in totally separate arcs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm working my way through vol 1 of New Mutants, and it feels like I'm missing issues. They rescue Karma from the Shadow King but she's still fat, and then brightwing shows up, then they're all back to normal and Karma is skinny again. I know that Xi'an lost all her weight during the Asgardian Wars, and I know the new mutants were involved in that because i have the issues in Essential Xmen vol 7. Did all that happen only in Uncanny X-men, and just skip over it in New Mutants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
New mutants had a special that isn't part of their numbered main series. It's collected In the Asgard wars trade or you can just get it by itself on Comixology.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

New mutants had a special that isn't part of their numbered main series. It's collected In the Asgard wars trade or you can just get it by itself on Comixology.

Ah! That would explain why it seems the main NM series just skips it.

Also, which of Claremont's fetishes is this catering too?
http://i.imgur.com/2Mu76sa.jpg

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My gut tells me "bondage", but they are hands.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Four Score posted:

My gut tells me "bondage", but they are hands.

Yea, it feels like more. Also, I'm pretty sure the script had everything in that picture described in detail, including 15 year old girl underboob. :gonk:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You got me to go look and see if any of Claremont's scripts were available online, and I found a page. He doesn't write comics like anyone else I've ever seen, which is interesting.

http://www.alandavis-comicart.com/images/WScriptExcal1.jpg

I'd be equally likely to attribute the, ah, boobishness of that particular scene to Art Adams, myself.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

I'd be equally likely to attribute the, ah, boobishness of that particular scene to Art Adams, myself.
Probably a safe bet.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Wanderer posted:

You got me to go look and see if any of Claremont's scripts were available online, and I found a page. He doesn't write comics like anyone else I've ever seen, which is interesting.

That's a pretty interesting script. Looks like it's written 'Marvel Method'(script written more like a story for the artist, words added later after art is drawn), which probably explains all the words, but I'm still kind of amused by how much it still sounds like a Claremont comic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man I've always felt like writing comics was impossible because I thought I had to make storyboards and draw for poo poo. I can write a screenplay.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Rick posted:

Man I've always felt like writing comics was impossible because I thought I had to make storyboards and draw for poo poo. I can write a screenplay.

There's pretty much no 'correct' way to write comics, as long as you can communicate exactly what you want in the page to your artist. Screenplays have to be standardised because so many people need to use them, but when it's just you and an artist/s then it's all down to how you prefer to collaborate.

The much harder part is understanding the 'language' of comics and using it effectively. It's tempting to write them as if they're for film or TV, but they're a very different medium.

One of the advantages of the Marvel Method is it allows the artist to have a large degree of control over what goes on the page. Compare that to someone like Alan Moore's scripts, who is very very exact about exactly what goes down. His scripts are famously like novels.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rick posted:

For a lot of recent writers, that's more or less exactly what they do. Track down a few "Director's Cut" reprints and you can find script samples in the back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A lot of writers also tailor their scripts to their artist's style if they've worked with them a lot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanderer posted:

That's really cool, and yea, as I suspected, Claremont puts insane detail into laying out everything including the contents of the room. I know Claremont is driving the makeup of the team, but needing to remember who's on the team issue to issue is probably a pain in the rear end.

I'm not too familiar with Adams work, but its kinda jarring for this era, as I always associated super sexy superhero ladies with more modern artists like the 90s to today.

And Empath, is literally the worst. I hope he died horribly to a Sentinel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not too familiar with Adams work, but its kinda jarring for this era, as I always associated super sexy superhero ladies with more modern artists like the 90s to today.

Adams is pretty foundational. He's a big influence on J. Scott Campbell, by Campbell's admission, so Adams is one of the grandfathers of the early '90s Image art style along with Masamune Shirow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krakagar posted:

There's pretty much no 'correct' way to write comics, as long as you can communicate exactly what you want in the page to your artist. Screenplays have to be standardised because so many people need to use them, but when it's just you and an artist/s then it's all down to how you prefer to collaborate.

There's an interview Claremont did a few years ago (one of several hour-plus long ones that's up on YouTube) where he was asked about his approach to writing; he said that when he's working with artists like John Byrne, Jim Lee, Arthur Adams, Alan Davis and so on, he likes to give them a plot with lots of ideas they could use rather than an ultra-descriptive script of ideas they must use and see what they come up with, but if he's writing for an artist he doesn't know as well (or, as is sometimes the case, doesn't have English as a first language), he would write a full script.

quote:

One of the advantages of the Marvel Method is it allows the artist to have a large degree of control over what goes on the page. Compare that to someone like Alan Moore's scripts, who is very very exact about exactly what goes down. His scripts are famously like novels.

I like Dave Gibbons's story about how he'd get the scripts for an issue of Watchmen and the first thing he'd have to do was go through it and number all the pages because there was so much it would take him hours to get it back in order if he dropped it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Dave Gibbons's story about how he'd get the scripts for an issue of Watchmen and the first thing he'd have to do was go through it and number all the pages because there was so much it would take him hours to get it back in order if he dropped it.

Didn't Gibbons also say he'd just ignore half of what Moore wrote?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, but he did say there'd be pages upon page of single-spaced text, then each panel description would end like, "But if you have a better idea, feel free to use that instead."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've seen some of Moore's scripts/notes, and they are very charming and affable.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen some of Moore's scripts/notes, and they are very charming and affable.
His notes for Killing Joke to Bolland are delightful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Very affable! I loving love the script for the first panel of watchmen which takes a page.

It starts with "we focus on a drain, with blood running into it, there's a smiley face badge with a smear of blood on it." And then he goes on this page long discussion of all the themes of the book, and suggests putting in a joke candybar wrapper but "if it doesn't fit don't worry about it we'll have plenty of time for our cute made up products" and then there is a long discussion of whether or not making Rorschach's journal a different color from all the other monologue stuff is too visuall gimmicky and then finishes with something like "anyway, let's get some top shelf drain art going shall we."

Dialogue (insert): Rorschach's Journal, OCTOBER 12, 1985:

Dog carcass in alley this morning. Tire tread on burst stomach...
(etc etc)

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
This talk about scripts makes me curious whether there are notable comic scripts out there that were never produced for whatever reason. Is that a thing? Kinda like how there is the Black List for unproduced movie scripts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MY ABACUS! posted:

This talk about scripts makes me curious whether there are notable comic scripts out there that were never produced for whatever reason. Is that a thing? Kinda like how there is the Black List for unproduced movie scripts.

Comic writers are usually hired to write a thing rather than buying a script from someone. And if they're pitching to a publisher they have to have an artist with some finished art in the pitch. At least with all the submission guidelines I've seen.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Unmature posted:

Comic writers are usually hired to write a thing rather than buying a script from someone. And if they're pitching to a publisher they have to have an artist with some finished art in the pitch. At least with all the submission guidelines I've seen.
Wasn't there an Adam Warren plot that he originally pitched to Marvel for Storm, meant to use for some other weather character (Rainmaker I assume), and then finally used it in Empowered? I heard that, but don't know how true it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

MY ABACUS! posted:

This talk about scripts makes me curious whether there are notable comic scripts out there that were never produced for whatever reason.
While not a script, this proposal by Alan Moore for Twilight of the Superheroes immediately comes to mind. I know parts of this are insane, but I would have loved to have seen it published anyway.

• Locked thread