Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

That reminds me, you know that character is called "John Hancock" in the concept art and he's wearing John Hancock's red velvet coat that hangs in the State House, right? He has absolutely nothing to do with the British, he's probably just some ghoul that swiped it from a museum because it's a loving pimp velvet coat.

I'm gonna kill that zombie dumbass and take his coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm gonna marry him instead

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going to gay marry the robot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lotish posted:

One of the things that slightly annoys me in the series is that the first time you start, you can't know what SPECIAL you need for what perks until, at the very least, you get your first level and look at the list. It's not available to view until then. Assuming they keep the same way of presenting levels ups, I can see restarting when I get to look at the list and realize my Agi 5 luck 6 build can't qualify for both Better Criticals and Rapid Reload, or something, or that I really need Endurance for Chemist because withdrawal symptoms actually matter.

Basically having a Perk Checklist I could reference without having to use the internet would be cool.

If it's your first play through then who cares about min-maxing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

NotALizardman posted:

I'm gonna kill that zombie dumbass and take his coat.

frajaq posted:

I'm gonna marry him instead

I'm gonna murder him, click on his corpse in the console, "Player.MatchFaceGeometry ActorRef 95" to make myself a 95% accurate clone of him, and then walk around and see if any of the NPCs notice I've taken his place.

Got to get his mannerisms down first, though.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 26, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope they're comfortable adding more perks later if nothing else.

Howard posted:

You can also play without a companion, and we have special perks for if you want to play as kind of a lone wanderer

Interesting. I wonder what stat that's connected to.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lotish posted:

I hope they're comfortable adding more perks later if nothing else.

Interesting. I wonder what stat that's connected to.

Probably Charisma. It's possible to associate perks with having a SPECIAL that is no greater than X, as opposed to being at least X.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Or it could just be a low charisma perk you'd only take if you didn't plan on raising your charisma higher. Either would work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Had the same thought. Though I suppose even a high charisma character may not want companions all the time--depends on how they shape up, but baby-sitting AI is not always fun even if having great negotiation perks might be.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

SunAndSpring posted:

That's all poo poo you did, though. Liberty Prime, however, has no involvement or interaction with the player and generally exists because Bethesda thought it would be cool to have a giant anti-communist robot kill everything for you and guide you down a linear path.

Someone made a mod which adds a "titanfall" style mech to New Vegas, so, I guess download that and be happy?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i've said it before in this thread, but the whole liberty prime section bugged out like 5 times for me, forcing me to restart it repeatedly because this dumb as poo poo robot kept going into the ocean or decided to just stop moving. gently caress liberty prime.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Lotish posted:

Had the same thought. Though I suppose even a high charisma character may not want companions all the time--depends on how they shape up, but baby-sitting AI is not always fun even if having great negotiation perks might be.

Great negotiation and settlement-building/mayoring skills! Assuming that civil leader perk is Charisma-based.

It'd be a step up from charisma just making you a good talker/barterer/seem like less of an rear end in a top hat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder if there's going to be an Intense Training perk, where you pick it to increase a SPECIAL stat, thus making it possible to take higher level perks later. That would make sense as sort of a base entry perk for every tree: Can't take the perk you want from this category? Take Intense Training until you can!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hmm, considering that the amount of total SPECIAL points to distribute went from 28 to 21 (If i'm not mistaken) nvm I'm dumb

I wonder if we'll get to raise SPECIAL stats for free every few levels? Say like put +1 to a stat in level 3....6....9....12 until level 30

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Level cap is most likely 50. So probably once every 5-10 levels.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Maybe they'll have a perk to make all your SPECIAL 9 again.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nuebot posted:

Maybe they'll have a perk to make all your SPECIAL 9 again.

Known issue: hitting the level cap causes all stats to gradually worsen over time.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

One of the nice things about separating skills and perks is that boring, passive stuff gets improved without impinging on the same space as fun, gameplay altering stuff. It's also important to remember that the binary pass/fail 25/50/75/100 stuff represents a very small subset of the skills in F3/NV (I think it's pretty much just Lockpicking, Computer, and sometimes Speech). Repair, Stealth, all the combat skills, Survival, Medicine -- they have effects all the way up, largely because they scale with their actual value. If they implement a Stealth perk in the laziest way possible (Fair/Good/Better/Best) that's going to be a lovely perk for the first 2 or 3 levels. Who wants to succeed at stealth 25% of the time? That's where skills are very nice. They allow you to gradually improve level to level without feeling like you're shoveling valuable resources into a furnace for several stages.

[[I'm aware that's only if they implement something like a Stealth perk in the laziest way possible. Off the top of my head a better way would be to gradually open up functionality. E.g., first perk renders you more or less invisible if you're crouching and standing still, second one lets you move, and so on.]]

Of course there's a flip side to that. One of the nasty side effects of a skill system is level scaling. If difficulty improves across the board but your character gradually specializes more and more into only a few skills, by the end of the game you're forced to specialize at least a little towards combat or else you get steamrolled. Not having explicit skills helps with this since you can tie basic functionality to passive leveling bonuses.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lotish posted:

Basically having a Perk Checklist I could reference without having to use the internet would be cool.
In the footage we've seen so far, when the player brought up the pipboy there was a prompt for going to the perk chart. I think what you want will be in the game.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's weird to me that the tresholds for lockpicking and hacking are brought up sometimes as a point against the skill system. Just because Bethesda, for whatever strange reason, decided to divide them into those thresholds doesn't mean that they couldn't just... not do that. Have stuff like locks and computer be set at any level (you need 41 science for this or whatever) and then randomize it slightly so that it could need either 5 more skill points or 5 less skill points for extra fun.
There is absolutely no need to set everything according to the very easy, easy, medium, hard and very hard thresholds. Especially when these games have such a wealth of locks and computers to interact with anyway.

Also, seeing as this is a Bethesda game, by the end of it you'll probably have maxed out all the stats due to collectibles/perks, and have a godly character anyway. It's not like F3 or NV are in need of a carefully planned out character build. The game breaks itself as you go on.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SunAndSpring posted:

Reposting this now that it's confirmed skills have been consolidated into perks. From what they've said, it sounds like you can actually get higher level perks from the get-go if you have your stats maxed out, so if you're at 10 Endurance after character creation, your first perk can be Solar-Powered. I imagine it's balanced by you having to buy more ranks in it to get the full effect, but it's still interesting that there are no level requirements on any of the perks.
I wouldn't be surprised if perks are still level-gated and only occasionally, loosely tied to SPECIAL levels. Otherwise, you could wind up with no available perks halfway through the game if you're not boosting SPECIAL stats constantly to make up for the smaller starting pool.

I'm guessing it's the same as it's always been, just that perks only rely on your level and your SPECIAL, not level/SPECIAL/skills.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Man Whore posted:

will this finally be the fallout game where SPECIAL matters?
lol, SPECIAL will never matter

it will if they dont just let you improve special in lieu of taking a perk (no)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope there are 4 ranks of Confirmed Bachelor and John Fallout gets more and more camp with each rank.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if perks are still level-gated and only occasionally, loosely tied to SPECIAL levels. Otherwise, you could wind up with no available perks halfway through the game if you're not boosting SPECIAL stats constantly to make up for the smaller starting pool.

I'm guessing it's the same as it's always been, just that perks only rely on your level and your SPECIAL, not level/SPECIAL/skills.

I don't have the link in front of me at the moment, but I do believe Howard said level gating perks is out: it's all stats now. Some are functionally level gated by having to buy ranks for full efffectiveness, I suppose.

Also with all the ranks to perks there are 275 options for advancement. That's almost four ranks per perk, but there must be some exceptions:

Pwnstar posted:

I hope there are 4 ranks of Confirmed Bachelor and John Fallout gets more and more camp with each rank.

Perhaps there are four ranks of Seduction but two are gender gated and you have to pick Lady Killer v Confirmed Bachelor or Black Widow v Cherchez la Femme.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Even if you cheat having both, the game will keep mockingly telling you that you can't like Hotdogs and Tacos both equally. You have to prefer one over the other.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It would be interesting if they still maintained tagging, but have the skills you tag work like Perks. So, if I click Barter I just have a flat discount that carries through the game or if I click guns, it's easier for me to get Criticals, or if I click Science then computer hacking is slightly easier.

I am going to be bummed with traits aren't maintained.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

SunAndSpring posted:

Level cap is most likely 50. So probably once every 5-10 levels.

There very well may not be a level cap. They took the cap out of Skyrim, so maybe they'll use a similar system again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Prestige yourself in science or whatever crafting Perk tree until you can farm every perk level and SPECIAL stat to where you are a Cybernetic Omnisexual Diety of the Wastes. I am the All-Fucker! Witness me!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

JackBadass posted:

There very well may not be a level cap. They took the cap out of Skyrim, so maybe they'll use a similar system again.

Doubt it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

They probably will.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The level cap will probably be at the point where you max out your SPECIAL stats, like it worked in Skyrim (where the cap was the point you maxed your skills)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm gonna put my non existent bet on level 50 cap, intense training perk (raise a SPECIAL stat by 1) is always available.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leinadi posted:

It's weird to me that the tresholds for lockpicking and hacking are brought up sometimes as a point against the skill system. Just because Bethesda, for whatever strange reason, decided to divide them into those thresholds doesn't mean that they couldn't just... not do that. Have stuff like locks and computer be set at any level (you need 41 science for this or whatever) and then randomize it slightly so that it could need either 5 more skill points or 5 less skill points for extra fun.
There is absolutely no need to set everything according to the very easy, easy, medium, hard and very hard thresholds. Especially when these games have such a wealth of locks and computers to interact with anyway.

Or you could just let people try it anyway and make it easier as your skill goes up.

Like they do with lock picking in Skyrim.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Leinadi posted:

That sounds horrible sorry

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress level caps. I want to know that if I wanted to I could level up to be a god.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Good News: You will be able to level up to a god.

The Bad News: T. Howard subscribes to a Pantheon of gods and by the time you're a god, so are the Radscorpions and children.

The Good News: The Radscorpions are still killable.

The Bad News: The children are not.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

How is your character the only survivor of Vault 111? If children are immortal, shouldn't your baby still be alive?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JackBadass posted:

How is your character the only survivor of Vault 111? If children are immortal, shouldn't your baby still be alive?

People can't kill children.

Writing can. :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could take the Hercules and the Nemian lion approach to the children in Fallout 3. Having found the children's skin to be bullet proof, just grab and strangle them, once they are dead, skin them and use their invincible hides to make a new set of armor :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

JackBadass posted:

He made his way to Little Lamplight before you woke up.

• Locked thread