Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Making "The Shining"

Poor Shelley Duvall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The documentary Bowfinger

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mescal posted:

I'm trying to think up a list of movies with the theme of "how real is this poo poo?" More along the lines of F for Fake than Exit Through the Gift Shop. I can't come up with anything though... any help?

Matrix, Inception, Birdman, ...?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

effectual posted:

Matrix, Inception, Birdman, ...?

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. I'm talking layers of fiction, with the top layer being the movie's narrative. Like "we've been telling you the truth behind the story, but this movie is also a fiction, and we've been lying to you too, but how much?" Something along the lines of a making-of doc about a reality show, but doc itself is manipulated and scripted...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mescal posted:

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. I'm talking layers of fiction, with the top layer being the movie's narrative. Like "we've been telling you the truth behind the story, but this movie is also a fiction, and we've been lying to you too, but how much?" Something along the lines of a making-of doc about a reality show, but doc itself is manipulated and scripted...

The documentary The Imposter is about a mentally ill con artist name Frédéric Bourdin who convinced a family that he was their son who had been abducted years before and was assumed dead. However, the entire third act of the film is about Frederic eagerly convincing the documentary crew and everybody else involved in the case that the missing child's parents had murdered him and even leading investigators to the plot where he believed the body had been buried. It becomes this weird meta-commentary on lies being more attractive than the truth and how people will get swept up in a narrative even when they know the person they're talking to is a liar and a con man, and you never really know if the people making the movie get it or if they're just as swept up by Frederic as everybody else.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mescal posted:

So like meta, 4-th wall stuff? Scream, Funny Games?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

effectual posted:

So like meta, 4-th wall stuff? Scream, Funny Games?

I think he specifically means documentaries, i.e films that are supposedly non-fiction.

Speaking of which, the narrative of the film Nanook of the North doesn't have any metafictional stuff, but about 90% of it is fictionalized. Watch it, then read up on it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

The documentary The Imposter is about a mentally ill con artist name Frédéric Bourdin who convinced a family that he was their son who had been abducted years before and was assumed dead. However, the entire third act of the film is about Frederic eagerly convincing the documentary crew and everybody else involved in the case that the missing child's parents had murdered him and even leading investigators to the plot where he believed the body had been buried. It becomes this weird meta-commentary on lies being more attractive than the truth and how people will get swept up in a narrative even when they know the person they're talking to is a liar and a con man, and you never really know if the people making the movie get it or if they're just as swept up by Frederic as everybody else.

Bingo!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm would fit what you're looking for too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mescal posted:

I'm not sure if I'm totally understanding, but 20,000 Days on Earth might be in this direction -- it presents itself as a documentary that depicts a fictionalized day in the life of Nick Cave, and while some of it is very authentic (it features the first time Cave and Blixa Bargeld met since Bargeld quit the band via email in 2003), some of it is very fictional (Warren Ellis tells Cave a story about Nina Simone, and while it's shown as the first time Cave's heard it, Ellis has been telling that story for decades) -- and the movie never really says what's what.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hat Thoughts posted:

Chronique d'un Ete does the whole subjects of a film discussing their appearance thing as well.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wow, how have I never heard of this? It sounds like a maxed-out example of I was looking for. Layers upon layers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Forgotten Silver was sort of a "prank" documentary, some viewers were upset when it turned out to be fake.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So it seems somewhat plausible that The Legend of Conan will be made, once again starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This seems like a unique situation - despite a reboot happening in 2011, the next movie will (presumably) go back to the original continuity. Has that ever happened before?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

david_a posted:

So it seems somewhat plausible that The Legend of Conan will be made, once again starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This seems like a unique situation - despite a reboot happening in 2011, the next movie will (presumably) go back to the original continuity. Has that ever happened before?

Like two weeks ago, with the same actor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

david_a posted:

No reboot inbetween, but Superman Returns was a straight sequel to Superman 2, ignoring 3 and 4.

Edit:

morestuff posted:

also this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

morestuff posted:

I guess the Terminator is pretty close, although the 3rd & 4th movies were very much in the same continuity as the first two so it's not the same. It would be like if one of those endless comic book reboots suddenly decided that the old series was actually fine; like if the next Spiderman movie starred Tobey Maguire and was a direct sequel to Spider-man 3.

Skwirl posted:

No reboot inbetween, but Superman Returns was a straight sequel to Superman 2, ignoring 3 and 4.
Seems like the same situation as Terminator.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Never Say Never Again

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

morestuff posted:

Genisys shat all over all continuity just to explain why Old Arnold exists. It was a fun movie and totally worth watching but it had nothing to do with the original continuity after the first 8 minutes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

effectual posted:

Never Say Never Again
Yup, that sure seems like it fits. It probably loses some points because Bond continuity is so haphazard, but wins them all back by being a remake of a previous movie in the same series with the same lead actor.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

david_a posted:

The Exorcist III (1990) is a sequel to the first but not the second film, and was followed by two divergent prequels. The Halloween films are all loving over the place, but Halloween H20 (1998) is a direct sequel to the original but has nothing to do with the third through fifth films. Similar poo poo with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Children of the Corn franchises. The Godzilla films do it at least once that I can think of. Same with the Jaws films. Starship Troopers 3 (2008) follows the first but not the second film. And I don't even know how the hell you'd characterise the continuity in the Universal Soldier franchise.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mescal posted:

Does something like Series 7: The Contender count?
It's a fake reality game show where the contestants are supposed to murder each other, but some of it gets interrupted with fake 'reenactments' where they have different actors playing the in-universe fictionalised versions of the contestants. It's not the greatest film but it's fairly funny and unique.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Why is it that Lois Lane in Returns doesn't know Clark Kent is Superman? She figured it out in the second film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Why is it that Lois Lane in Returns doesn't know Clark Kent is Superman? She figured it out in the second film.
He lobotomized her with his kiss in the original cut and just spun the world again to undo time in the Donner cut.

Superman Returns is supposed to follow the Donner Cut. So, he undid her finding out, but they sleep with each other sometime after the events of that movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance: I missed how the creepy dude with the goofy haircut who waits for Geum-ja outside the prison is connected to her. There was the scene of him apparently becoming infatuated with her from the TV coverage, but I didn't catch how Geum-ja was using him while in prison. I also didn't understand how he ended up talking to Mr Baek - how would he have known about Baek's connection to Geum-ja? Was he being paid by Baek all along?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

david_a posted:

Land of the Dead picked up after Day of the Dead after both Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead had each received unrelated remakes!

Texas Chainsaw presented itself as a direct sequel to the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre from 1974 (bypassing 3 other sequels), and this was after the 1974 film was remade and spawned a sequel of its own.

Similarly, Halloween Returns* is going back to the original timeline (I think the plan is to only reference the original 1978 movie) after the Rob Zombie reboot and its sequel, which followed a sequel that retconned the finale of a prior sequel that completely ignored the 4 sequels preceding it: one of whiched tacked on an implausible explanation of its predecessor's ending, which retconned its own predecessor's "the evil continues with a new killer!" ending, which itself is a kind of soft-retcon of the ending two movies back (of the "oh they managed to survive that seemingly definitive explosion and fire after all" variety) which itself tries to apply an after-the-fact background motivation to the original film.... oh and there was one "sequel" that exists entirely in its own continuity and has nothing to do plotwise with any other Halloween film.

*So after Halloween Returns, Halloween Resurrection, "The Revenge" being represented in Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, I think it's safe to say the Halloween series has the most number of subtitles borrowed from other movies ever!

Can't wait for Halloween: Revelations, Halloween: The Next Generation, and Halloween Into Darkness

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Halloween: Legacy, Halloween: The Beginning, (Which will be different from) Halloween: Origins. Comedy option: I know what you did last Halloween.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

Halloween: The Beginning, (Which will be different from) Halloween: Origins.

Oh my God yes!

And that reminds me: Halloween: The Final Chapter... which is a different movie from Michael Bites the Big One: The Final Halloween, neither of which will be the last Halloween movies.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

david_a posted:

Neill Blomkamp's Aliens sequel if you count Prometheus as a reboot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ninja Gamer posted:

Neill Blomkamp's Aliens sequel if you count Prometheus as a reboot.

Prometheus was a prequel not a reboot, otherwise the upcoming Star Wars films would count.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

lizardman posted:

Land of the Dead picked up after Day of the Dead after both Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead had each received unrelated remakes!

And after a divergent branch of quasi-related sequels. And after a chain of fake European sequels. And after a recut of the original with new footage that suggested the whole zombie apocalypse was God's will. Living Dead continuity is strange, yo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How are Japanese movie scripts formatted? Traditionally their writing is vertical and then right-to-left, but I have to imagine that in a format where you're using a lot of line breaks you'd waste a lot of paper.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

How are Japanese movie scripts formatted? Traditionally their writing is vertical and then right-to-left, but I have to imagine that in a format where you're using a lot of line breaks you'd waste a lot of paper.

This is just from a hasty google but I'm pretty sure the thing on the left is a page from a Miyazaki script:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I wasn't sure where to ask, but can someone tell me what I need to know in order to project 8 and 16mm. What are some good brands of projectors? How difficult is loading and playing the film without harming it?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Dr.Caligari posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask, but can someone tell me what I need to know in order to project 8 and 16mm. What are some good brands of projectors? How difficult is loading and playing the film without harming it?
Is there a good reason you want to do that because I would advise against it.

But here's a decent guide for 8mm. http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-To-Buy-A-Super-8-Movie-Projector-/10000000001138486/g.html

the Elmo 16CL was recommended a lot back in the day, here's a guide for buying one of those:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Before-You-Buy-an-Elmo-16MM-Projector-/10000000014755419/g.html

and I remember bell and howell 1592 being recommended a lot as a solid cheap alternative. I don't know why that specific model was recommended as there were a lot of different versions: http://www.paulivester.com/films/projector/bh_models.htm but it looks like you can get one for around $100 on ebay.

You'll also need the right lens depending on the size of your room, and a spare bulb or two. And maybe some simple editing equipment to fix breaks and extra leader and spare reels. You really should just buy a nice video projector though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I actually acquired a selection of 8mm and a few 16mm films. Most are labeled, some are not. I was just curious as to how hard they would be to watch. I will, probably just sell them as-is, I don't want to risk damaging them or invest alot in equipment that I won't use often.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You might be able to rent a projector from somewhere. From googling it looks like you can rent a projector for around $50 for a weekend from a bunch of places.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
What's the technique called when there are two different locations are shown at the same time but you don't know which character is at which location until the payoff? I'm thinking of stuff like from The Dark Knight Rachel's death scene and the house raid in Silence of the Lambs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Parachute posted:

What's the technique called when there are two different locations are shown at the same time but you don't know which character is at which location until the payoff? I'm thinking of stuff like from The Dark Knight Rachel's death scene and the house raid in Silence of the Lambs.

cross cuts or parallel editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Parachute posted:

There really isn't a name for this technique as trickery, because it's literally just 'editing' or as the other poster said, parallel editing but playing with expectations. It's the a technique (parallel editing, I mean) used as early as 1903 but instead of setting up two related scenes (a house fire, firemen at the station, etc.) it's two unrelated ones in the examples you gave, but we don't generally expect that when film cross-cuts.

You asking this question makes me realize how cool that technique is again though on a conceptual level, and now I'm wondering what the earliest 'subversion of parallel editing' (I guess that'd be the term) was, after its establishment in films like "Life of the American Fireman" (that's the classic example from 1903 I used above). Silence of the Lambs is the one that immediately jumps to mind, but I'm sure there are earlier examples.