Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

Forget XP, its credits that are the huge grind in this game. I've got 2 tier 7's unlocked that I would have to grind Atago games all afternoon just to buy one of.

I bought the T8 Fubuki, cost me 9 million credits. Yowza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

I bought the T8 Fubuki, cost me 9 million credits. Yowza.
I'm going to stop buying the upgrades on lines that I am only passively grinding (US DD/BB). Too expensive.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The goddamn retailer that was selling it for three bucks is gone. I was a minute too late.

I still want one of those drat things though so I guess I'll unzip my wallet for 13 dollars sulk sulk

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TehKeen posted:

If you missed out on the Murmansk, there are people selling codes here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3enjmu/kinguin_is_selling_murmansk_bundle_7_days_premium/

There are still retailers listing it for 3.20, totaling ~3.70. I bought one and it worked. :)

e: + 1000g, port slot, and 7 days of premium!

Thanks! I got one for ~$3 right before they sold out. :D

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Michaellaneous posted:

Well I just bought the model of the Bismark, Lets see how it is,

Something tells me you'll get more enjoyment out of having the pubbies go apeshit when you're sailing around in the Diana, even though it's a carbon copy of the Aurora because "OMG NEW THING WHERE'D YOU GET THAT?!?!?"

As usual, tell them Hellsau (who doesn't even play botes, I don't think) has codes for it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I am seriously sick of playing games today where just one side gets a carrier. I was in an Atago game where the opposition had the only carrier, the tier 8 Japanese one. At one point I am sure I had 3 torp bomber and two dive bomber squadrons all just focusing on me. It didn't end well and the CV driver got 5 times more exp that everyone else.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Omahas are pretty good.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Timmy Horsey posted:

Omahas are pretty good.
Using AP for citadels on the Omaha/Murmansk is so good.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Burt posted:

I am seriously sick of playing games today where just one side gets a carrier. I was in an Atago game where the opposition had the only carrier, the tier 8 Japanese one. At one point I am sure I had 3 torp bomber and two dive bomber squadrons all just focusing on me. It didn't end well and the CV driver got 5 times more exp that everyone else.

Welcome to my world in the North Carolina, nothing like kicking a teams rear end, and then suddenly 3 torp squadrons and 3 db squads bearing down on you. The kick was we had a Lexi, and they had 2 shoks and yet our lexi did nothing.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Burt posted:

For every SKY CANCER post I read, I get three games where I have time to maybe hurt a couple of BBs before one side collapses and I find the entire enemy team up my rear end. I guess it's different at higher tiers where you have more torp bombers to clown people with, but when you have one, you don't really do much.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

DoubleWelp posted:

For every SKY CANCER post I read, I get three games where I have time to maybe hurt a couple of BBs before one side collapses and I find the entire enemy team up my rear end. I guess it's different at higher tiers where you have more torp bombers to clown people with, but when you have one, you don't really do much.

I don't give a gently caress about carriers, it's like arty in WoT, it's part of the game. It's when one side gets one and the other gets none, that's when it becomes utterly ridiculous. It's bad in high tiers but it's no better in low tier games where no one has any AA to speak of.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Burt posted:

I don't give a gently caress about carriers, it's like arty in WoT, it's part of the game. It's when one side gets one and the other gets none, that's when it becomes utterly ridiculous. It's bad in high tiers but it's no better in low tier games where no one has any AA to speak of.

Just because it's a part of the game doesn't mean it's not a bad part of the game or, for that matter, that it should be a part of the game. Honestly when a blob of TBs drop torps less than 500m from my slow rear end whale of a BB, instantly killing it despite a futile attempt to turn into them I don't really care too much whether some player on the other team also got a similar treatment. It's a waste of my time and it isn't fun.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 26, 2015

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Just because it's a part of the game doesn't mean it's not a bad part of the game or, for that matter, that it should be a part of the game. Honestly when a blob of TBs drop torps less than 500m from my slow rear end whale of a BB, instantly killing it and wasting whatever time I spent up to that point in the game, I don't really care too much whether some player on the other team also got a similar treatment.

So what do low level CVs who don't have access to "blobs" of TBs do? I went CV waiting for the moment where I'd poo poo over people but that sure as gently caress isn't T4.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

DoubleWelp posted:

So what do low level CVs who don't have access to "blobs" of TBs do? I went CV waiting for the moment where I'd poo poo over people but that sure as gently caress isn't T4.

You play Japanese carriers and get 2 squads of TBs, which is plenty at a tier where you don't have to deal with AA and see a large number of ships that are both large and slow to turn. You then watch a youtube video to learn to manual drop torps on said ships.

Blobs of 2-3 squads are a thing that becomes necessary to guarantee kills at higher tiers when you might lose a few planes to AAA but still want to guarantee a kill.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don't know when German ships are added, but if the P Project, O Project, or Scharnhorst are in as high tier cruisers I am going to be compelled to grind them immediately. I spent far too long playing Navyfield to not neglect those ships in this game. (to put into perspective, it took probably thousands of battles to just get into a Bismarck or the equivalent O Project II. Each one probably fifteen minutes. I don't want to know how much time was spent on NF during my graduate school years.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Hey orange we somehow won that last game where we both got erased.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Burt posted:

Yup, the matchmaker is the problem, not carriers themselves. Carriers need to be evenly matched, or it is no fun for anyone. Who cares if carrier players have to wait longer for matches?

I had a retarded game earlier where it matched a tier 7 carrier versus a tier 4 because the 4 was in a division. It wasn't even in a division with a higher tier. It was three tier 4s in a division on one team when the other team was all tier 5-7. I don't think the game lasted more than 7 minutes.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Man, I don't understand why hitting the flat, front or back part of a ship's hull seems to do normal shell damage. If the ship is coming towards or away from you, then it stands to reason that a shell might go through the front and hit the citadel, but when it's sideways and there's nothing on the other side? You still do a pretty good amount of damage.

Not complaining at all, actually. I'm mentioning it since it actually happens a lot when I'm shooting cruisers, and sometimes when close enough to me, even cruisers can pen the flat extreme sides and do pretty good amounts of damage per volley. But shouldn't there be anything important there? I mean, the citadel is certainly not there. Crew quarters? Anchor chain housing or something?

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Second ever game in the Langley. Completely shut down a Bogue who went all bombers (he was terrible), sank a Myogi with the help of flooding and nuked a Furutaka in one torp spread. I like this ship.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I dunno but if anything if/when they tone down fire they should probably shrink the vulnerable zones of a lot of cruisers because at least down around t V it's far too easy to cripple someone in one or two volleys if they ever show their side.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Or they could play their ships according to those ships' many strengths rather than their weakness?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
MM throws four T7 BBs and a Fuso, with five Atagos, a Myoko, an Ibuki, and a Shimakaze against a team with two Yamatos and an Iowa divisioned, plus two Atagos and a New Orleans, a Pensacola and a Myoko, two Colorados, and a Sims.

One of our two Colorados begins wailing about a sure loss and there being nothing we can do. Moments later the Iowa eats a wall of torps and dies, a Yamato goes down not long after, and we win the match handily with half our team still afloat. Defeatist was still saying in chat how "lucky" we got, as if tier 10 ships are some magical death totems that are immune to citadels and torps.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

xthetenth posted:

Or they could play their ships according to those ships' many strengths rather than their weakness?

idk it's hard to not show your side to anybody 100% of the time, which is all it took for me to instablap an omaha just now after he had me dead to rights when some other lucky shitter in a wyoming knocked out my steering.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

I dunno but if anything if/when they tone down fire they should probably shrink the vulnerable zones of a lot of cruisers because at least down around t V it's far too easy to cripple someone in one or two volleys if they ever show their side.

I am always so, so happy when I see a cruiser do this to my Phoenix, which has no need of outdated concepts like broadsides and is happy to introduce the citadel to explosions.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

rossmum posted:

MM throws four T7 BBs and a Fuso, with five Atagos, a Myoko, an Ibuki, and a Shimakaze against a team with two Yamatos and an Iowa divisioned, plus two Atagos and a New Orleans, a Pensacola and a Myoko, two Colorados, and a Sims.

One of our two Colorados begins wailing about a sure loss and there being nothing we can do. Moments later the Iowa eats a wall of torps and dies, a Yamato goes down not long after, and we win the match handily with half our team still afloat. Defeatist was still saying in chat how "lucky" we got, as if tier 10 ships are some magical death totems that are immune to citadels and torps.

Yeah, one nice thing about this game is that higher tiers aren't untouchable. A Yamato can be damage by HE and lit on fire by a tier 1. Only carriers really have a large advantage based on tier.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Are you guys sure about the secondary upgrade focus on the Nagato? If I'm getting this right, I can get their range out to 7km, but i almost never let enemies inside that range anyway...

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So here's today's examples of "Teamwork is OP":

Me, OSad and bobatron head out in 5s, I bring my AA hull Omaha. We start in the north, head west to A then circle back to B, steamrollering everything. OSad nuked stuff, I set things on fire and kept planes away. I don't think either of us got dropped on once in the match. I finish the match by going over to C, nuked the Hosho with torpedoes at 1.5km as he was coming up the channel. Me and OSad both got Confederate.

This match is a prime example of what happens when you let a BB do laps up and down one side of the map all match and don't make it a priority target. It came down to me and the hero pubbie DD, who retook all the caps (because we didn't) and managed to torpedo the Tenryu that was the sole one alive on the enemy team. It was a nail-biter because the score was 611-982 when the DD got into the 3rd cap . If the either of us had died, game over :suspense: . High Caliber and another Confederate, this match got me out of the South Carolina at last.

I had fun solo burning down a South Carolina while having a blown rudder, got stuck going in a circle for 60 seconds. Pubs must really not be able to aim. 3rd Confederate in 2 hours. If only it wasn't a once-a-day flag reward :sigh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Sounds like the "mediums are supposed to flank, not fight the heavy gods" argument in WoT.
Well if cruisers can't fight and use their nice dps, they are pointless. Shooting planes or invisible zig zagging destroyers like an idiot doesn't sound very appealing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought about going up the US carriers again but then I remembered the horrible and painful grind on the really lovely one and realized just how much worse that grind would be now in open beta with a fraction of the xp and credit rewards. My brain has erased the name of it but It was so low and so clumsy and such crappy loving torps on the upgraded bombers but if you didn't upgrade them they'd get wrecked and fall out of the sky if they hit dangerous things in the air such as clouds.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

MREBoy posted:

So here's today's examples of "Teamwork is OP":

Here's the results from my side, and the replay if anyone is interested. To be fair, being a top tier Kongo in a matchup like this is kinda unfair to begin with, and there's tons of cover in Islands to get close to HE-happy cruisers.

I felt really bad that at some point, we were rolling onto B, and we caught an Arkansas Beta running away. At that point I made a rather silly tactical mistake by showing him my nice, flat side as I'm reloading, but to my surprise, he unloads a full salvo from his 12 guns at a very nice range for him of 5 or 6 kilometers, his aim was good, his shells slam onto my side... but he penetrates none of them. I felt like he totally could've killed me right then and there, even though he was a tier lower than me.

I felt sorry for the enemy team at that point. I thought the Kongo was supposed to be a Battlecruiser, which is big guns not so big armor, but she makes a complete mockery out of tier 5 matchups. But either way, couldn't have done it without my arsonist Omaha.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

OSad posted:

The goddamn retailer that was selling it for three bucks is gone. I was a minute too late.

I still want one of those drat things though so I guess I'll unzip my wallet for 13 dollars sulk sulk

They must've gotten more, because I just bought and redeemed mine not 2 mins ago.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

psy.Che posted:

Are you guys sure about the secondary upgrade focus on the Nagato? If I'm getting this right, I can get their range out to 7km, but i almost never let enemies inside that range anyway...

Yes. They're incredibly useful for fending off destroyers that decloak nearby and can be used to kill one low-health enemy while you focus another. Brawling is fun, anyway.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Got my $3 key and redeemed fine so far.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

They must've gotten more, because I just bought and redeemed mine not 2 mins ago.

Bloody hell, they are. The three dollar retailer isn't accepting my Brazilian cards though. :emo:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

psy.Che posted:

If you're not getting within 7km of enemies in the Nagato, you're not playing the Nagato right. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesus christ, that was awesome. I was in a Phoenix and my divisionmate in a Clemson, and we both got our engines double-tapped early and were dead in the water. Somehow, from here, both of us with about 2000 HP left each, the enemy proceeded to ignore us and we wasted a Minekaze, an Omaha, a Murmansk, a Kawachi (killing puppies is still a kill) and an Isokaze. That was intense.

Phoenix is a good boat.

Not coincidentally, how exactly do I record replays?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Dear Fusou player and Mutsuki player I sank on North today: how on earth do you get to tier six without figuring out that evading torpedoes, or at least changing your course after you get torpedoed the first time, is kind of important? :wtc:

This was using a Minekaze with the A hull, stock 7km torps and a captain who hadn't finished retraining.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Night10194 posted:

Not coincidentally, how exactly do I record replays?

Just enable it with the method a couple pages back and they'll automatically be recorded in a replays folder inside the game files

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Guys I want lots of gently caress off cannons for glorious nippon, battleships are what I want right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Razzled posted:

Guys I want lots of gently caress off cannons for glorious nippon, battleships are what I want right?

You will have to pass the tests of Kawachi and Myogi to reach promised lands, your balls folded a thousand times like the steel of a mighty katana.