Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just read through it, seems like that GSF itself doesn't confer ObSec, but the Battle Demi-Company formations that are contained within it have ObSec.

I forgot what a chore it is to read GW codices.

e: So if he was running two demi-companies to get the free transports in the GSF, he'd potentially have:

2 captains/chaplains
0-2 command squads
6 tactical squads
2 bike/speed/centurian squads
2 devastator/centurion squads
0-2 dreadnoughts

with ObSec.

Anything else like vindicators, flyers, land raiders etc wouldn't get ObSec.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Huh. So you're telling me that at the end of the game when he had 3 Hunters, 1 Stalker, 1 Devastator squad (5 guys), 7 Drop Pods and 2 Razorbacks that only 1 of those things had ObSec?

Boon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 26, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boon posted:

Huh.

So you're telling me that at the end of the game when he had 3 Hunters, 1 Stalker, 1 Devastator squad (5 guys), 7 Drop Pods and 2 Razorbacks that only 1 of those things had ObSec?

The drop pods and razorbacks did too, but not the hunter/stalkers.

ObSec drop pods are poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In an objective game, how is anyone supposed to fight against a 9 drop pod and 2 Razorback GSF army? They're armor 12 and open-topped (right?) so what the hell are you supposed to do when they just drop on the objectives?

I haven't seen any discussion on this so I'm frankly at a loss. I knew people were upset about the free units, but I haven't seen discussion on the ObSec piece which is, frankly, far more game-breaking than template D-Weapons.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure really. With my Tau I try to intercept them when they come down, and if that doesn't work and they're on an objective then just try and whittle them down whenever there's an opening/nothng more urgent to shoot at.

But with 9 drop pods at 1850 its kind of a different story.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The way my group, when we still played regularly, handled ObSec on transports etc was that if the actual squad that was embarked on the vehicle was inside, it received obsec. So a group of marines huddling in a drop pod or vets in a chimera would get the benefit of obsec while parked on an objective. If the squad left the transport for any reason the vehicle lost obsec. It didn't fix everything, but it definitely took the edge off of list fuckery like splitting off the embarked units from their transports during deployment and going MSU. I don't know how you guys all felt about the maelstrom of war missions but all my experience with them has essentially been that if you get lucky and gain a point or 3 on the first turn, you tend to not lose that advantage and it came down to not who was better at the game but whoever got lucky with their initial draw. I've only played like...4 games with maelstrom cards and I did not have fun with the system. It would probably be better to arrange them so that certain armies got missions that actually suited their playstyle.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 26, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

ijyt posted:

Not sure really. With my Tau I try to intercept them when they come down, and if that doesn't work and they're on an objective then just try and whittle them down whenever there's an opening/nothng more urgent to shoot at.

But with 9 drop pods at 1850 its kind of a different story.

How many points of free ObSec models would that be? I don't play marines, but suspect it's gotta be like 75pts x 9 at least? So nearly 700 points? Can Drop pods take upgrades?

I just played my first game since, I think, November. It was 1850 of my guard allied with 1850 Eldar versus two Necron Decurions with destroyer cults and poo poo. Basically the wraith knight with CC D-weapons tanked all the shooting while I blew up all the transports with artillery and Vanquishers. Hammer and Anvil deployment heavily favoured our side. By the end of turn two they just had foot sloggers and jet bikes, and hadn't made it out of their deployment zone. Their fliers had come in, but my two Vendetta's and the Hydra sitting in the back kept them on the defensive.

By the end of turn three we called it. They had just reached the edge of their deployment zone and my troops and tanks were just eating anything that was 18 inches (about as close as they got) to our deployment zone, while the wraith knight and wraith guard were running amok in their back field. I didn't lose a single model, and my artillery was as deadly to my Eldar ally as the Necron shooting - which is just kind of sad.

Even if they did manage to take out the wraith units, the battered survivors would have had to walk into the kill zones I had set up, through a hail of artillery, and dodging my vendetta shots. Then dealt with 60 guardsmen, and a tooled up Company Command Squad, tooled up Inquisitor, and Command Tank squadron to get close to our objectives.

It was a fungame, and you could see it written in our opponents faces midway through our shooting on turn 2 that it was game over. I had forgotten just how brutal this game can be if you have even slightly above average rolling for a turn or two (like when two squads of guardsmen with heavy bolters destroyed two Necron jetbike squads with their lasguns alone). I've been on the receiving end of a shellacking like that before, but never on the side that neutered the opponent by turn two. It was a different experience, but I don't know if I would call it fun exactly.

I;m curious what the future holds for the AM, Will Leman Russ Battle Tanks get fixed so they can actually do what they are supposed to? Will special weapons get a points reduction? What free special rules can I expect to get for my foot slogging guardsmen when they release formations? How many Vendetta's and Chimera's will I be expected to buy?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Sir Teabag posted:

I;m curious what the future holds for the AM, Will Leman Russ Battle Tanks get fixed-

no

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Sir Teabag posted:

AM Questions

I feel like the changes to the units themselves are going to be minimal, but there will be formations up the wazoo. Guarantee there will be Leman Russ formations, artillery formations, and we may even see platoons become formations. Formations all day long!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Teabag posted:

How many points of free ObSec models would that be? I don't play marines, but suspect it's gotta be like 75pts x 9 at least? So nearly 700 points? Can Drop pods take upgrades?

He had 380 point in "free" and objective securing units. So we were effectively playing 1850 vs 2230. Unsurprisingly, it felt like it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 26, 2015

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

lol. That's what I think too.

Master Twig posted:

I feel like the changes to the units themselves are going to be minimal, but there will be formations up the wazoo. Guarantee there will be Leman Russ formations, artillery formations, and we may even see platoons become formations. Formations all day long!

If I could get some benefit for often having over a hundred lovely flashlights on the table, and the head ache of occasionally moving them, believe me - I'm taking it! Horde guard looks so cool, and is cool in theory, but actually moving those fuckers around on the board? Nah... I'll sit and wait thanks. I'll just move a tank or two and then shoot.

Boon posted:

He had 380 point in "free" units. So we were effectively playing 1850 vs 2230, and it felt like it.

Yikes... If I were to play that, I simply wouldn't have the resources to deal with the transports and the contents. I don't think many, outside of Eldar and an opposing "free poo poo" marine list, would.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

This is great and the kind of stuff that makes the hobby really fun. Are you going to do boar-riders as bloodcrushers?

I think my vague plan was boarboys for fleshhounds and mangler squigs for the bloodcrushers (probably not actual manglers but something about that size). Still planning it out though :)

I need to do more diggas to, maybe a digga CSM thing so I can use the Daemonkin formations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's particularly broken with Leman Russ tanks?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You see this loving charge? This 6" charge? Pendant failed that against me yesterday in a real laugher of a game. More goofy poo poo: a squad of Wraiths being wiped out by a squad of tactical marines, a Stormraven vaporizing another vehicle for the first time ever, and a squad of Death Company failing to kill more than a couple Necron Warriors in an assault, only to be wiped off the table in response. Zandrekh and Orikan in the same squad is some real bullshit y'all.

Cakefool posted:

Leman Russes with Battle Cannons have to snap shoot the rest of their weapons, making the other weapons and sponsons on a regular Leman Russ completely pointless.

panascope fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cakefool posted:

BS3 means they just aren't that effective at shooting, and though they do have great front and side armor, their rear armor makes them really susceptible to assault or getting outmaneuvered. They're alright, just maybe a bit overpointed for what they do. I'm still a big fan of running Pask in a punisher with multi-melta sponsons. He's a big target, but most things shot by him are gonna die. Even better if you get a Psyker to cast prescience on him.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wonder if you'd be able to make a system where a charge is an automatic success depending on base size.

So a model on a 32mm base or smaller can just charge in at 3" from the enemy, 40-60mm at 6", and anything larget at 8" or something.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Teabag posted:

You have to pay for upgrades. i.e., for a razorback, you only get the heavy bolter for free, but have to pay if you want tlac/lcpg, etc.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

panascope posted:

Leman Russes with Battle Cannons have to snap shoot the rest of their weapons, making the other weapons and sponsons on a regular Leman Russ completely pointless.

Master Twig posted:

BS3 means they just aren't that effective at shooting, and though they do have great front and side armor, their rear armor makes them really susceptible to assault or getting outmaneuvered. They're alright, just maybe a bit overpointed for what they do. I'm still a big fan of running Pask in a punisher with multi-melta sponsons. He's a big target, but most things shot by him are gonna die. Even better if you get a Psyker to cast prescience on him.

Yeah, so basically they are over priced and you can either fire the battle cannon, or fire your other weapons. They get rather expensive if you trick them out. Unless you use a psyker to give them ignore's cover they large blast strength 8 ap 3 blast is kind of "meh" as well, given the prevalence of cover.

Some of the variant's are well priced for what they do - but bs 3 on anything that isn't twin linked, or that is just a single shot really is iffy at best. I'd just like to use my battle tanks as they are modelled one day - battle cannon and a ton of heavy bolters shredding enemy mini's all day. I usually proxy the battle tanks I have as vanquishers or exterminators, and use my plasma tank as a plasma tank.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Sir Teabag posted:

I'd just like to use my battle tanks as they are modelled one day - battle cannon and a ton of heavy bolters shredding enemy mini's all day. I usually proxy the battle tanks I have as vanquishers or exterminators, and use my plasma tank as a plasma tank.

Maybe this is something you already know and are sick of hearing, in which case sorry: it is really easy to magnetise all 3 options on the modern demolisher kit turret, the stock leman russ has 4 options which are also easy (you can only have vanquisher or battle cannon, but just glue together which variant looks cooler and use it as either - no one cares or can tell the difference). Hull weapons stick in so don't even need magnets to swap. Sponsons likewise, I haven't assembled my sponsons (I don't like the look) but you could easily mag or even blu-tack the sponson onto the hull, and just slot the weapons in and out. I literally have a bag of leman russ options (all weapons and dozer blades) which I carry around. Only problem is I inevitably forget to throw the bag in my case with the army and end up playing a game with 3 weaponless tanks occasionally.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ijyt posted:

I wonder if you'd be able to make a system where a charge is an automatic success depending on base size.

So a model on a 32mm base or smaller can just charge in at 3" from the enemy, 40-60mm at 6", and anything larget at 8" or something.

I'd rather that if you are within 6" you don't have to roll, but if the target is beyond 6" or you're charging through difficult terrain then you roll 2d6.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slimnoid posted:

I'd rather that if you are within 6" you don't have to roll, but if the target is beyond 6" or you're charging through difficult terrain then you roll 2d6.

Way too elegant and simple that way. Also none of that super random "forging the narrative" excuse making for the failed charges.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Way too elegant and simple that way. Also none of that super random "forging the narrative" excuse making for the failed charges.

Oh god I've been playing one system too long haven't I.

e: the cargo cult is real

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Anti-infantry: You want to take 1-2 Heldrakes if you can. They're solid units and baleflamers can wipe out whole squads of MEQs. They're also your only real way to deal with flyers. Vindicators are also fairly solid for taking MEQs off the board and relatively low-cost.

Anti-armor options: 5-man raptor and bike squads that have two meltaguns (and a champion with melta bombs or a combi melta for extra oomph), small terminator squads with combi-meltas that deep strike, Obliterators with Mark of Nurgle

Avoid: Defilers (too expensive for what they do), warp talons (same)

E: I've used the 3-helbrute formation from the dataslates. It's alright, if only because you get to deep strike some Helbrutes. You still have the uncertainty of their random rolls every turn, but they get IWND so it's an OK trade-off. With the right wargear it could be good against marines. It's still not clear to me (or anyone) if the Helbrutes in the formation act like a squadron or get to do their own thing after they deep strike. I think it's the latter?

Thanks a lot for the advice I only have 1 heldrake but the guy who is hosting the game is very liberal and will let me sub something for a second heldrake. I do have 2 vindicators so I was thinking of taking those as well. I don't have any defilers so that's cool about not taking those. About Oblits is it better to take them in squads of two or three? I don't really have a biker squad but I have models that I could use to sub some in. I thought that the 3 Helbrute squad sounds good because I thought they could choose three different targets.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

You see this loving charge? This 6" charge? Pendant failed that against me yesterday in a real laugher of a game. More goofy poo poo: a squad of Wraiths being wiped out by a squad of tactical marines, a Stormraven vaporizing another vehicle for the first time ever, and a squad of Death Company failing to kill more than a couple Necron Warriors in an assault, only to be wiped off the table in response. Zandrekh and Orikan in the same squad is some real bullshit y'all.

I'm choosing to believe the Knight's pilot had a stroke and fell down. That tac squad was definitely mvp, though.

Oh, and yes that warrior blob was some bullshit. I hit it with 4 battlecannon shots without a single unsaved wound.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 26, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks a lot for the advice I only have 1 heldrake but the guy who is hosting the game is very liberal and will let me sub something for a second heldrake. I do have 2 vindicators so I was thinking of taking those as well. I don't have any defilers so that's cool about not taking those. About Oblits is it better to take them in squads of two or three? I don't really have a biker squad but I have models that I could use to sub some in. I thought that the 3 Helbrute squad sounds good because I thought they could choose three different targets.

You don't "need' 2 Heldrakes. You could probably do with a couple vindicators instead, but part of the beauty of heldrakes is that they take up a FA slot instead of HS. Oblits are better in squads of 3, just because you get more massed firepower that way.

The 3 Helbrute squad is neat but I'm not sure it's anything more than a novelty. Helbrutes lack really great weapons and 1/3 the time they won't be doing what you want them to (remember to have them each do their own thing). Still, it's fun as hell to run.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Just had my first game since 2014! Using new Khornate Daemonkin codex, getting the 4th ed mixed codex boys back together versus an IG player who I think just put together everything he had and came up with 1500 points. Really nice guy and had a great time playing but I think his list could have been a bit more fine tuned - which didn't matter because I basically got all the dice rolls. First deployment, first turn, warlord trait to let me infiltrate Warlord + 3 units, nightfighting, basically everything I needed for a turn 2 charge with most of my list.

Herald on Juggernaut
4x Bloodcrushers
8x Bloodletters
8x Bloodletters
8x CSM in Rhino
8x CSM in Rhino
Heldrake, baleflamer
Heldrake, baleflamer
8x Flesh Hounds
Maulerfiend
Maulerfiend

vs

Pask w/ 1 other battlecannon LR
2x Enginseer
Command platoon
Vet squad with 1????? plasma gun in Chimera
2x 20 man blobs with flamers
Devil Dog
Sentinel with Lascannon
Vendetta

Pask did the most work, killing 7/8 marines out of a squad the first turn and killing my Herald and 3 of the 4 Bloodcrushers the next, but my Maulerfiends either saved all the hits, the melta / battlecannon blasts scattered, or they made their 2+ Crew stunned rolls and promptly devoured both Leman Russes. Heldrakes wiped one squad and disabled the SEntinel, flesh hounds tied up one of the 20 man squads the whole game, and after my third turn all he had was his Enginseers, 2x chimeras, the devil dog and the Vendetta with 1 HP.

Question for anyone who plays with the Khorne codex - what do you use your Blood points for? Our game was very fast and bloody but even with that I think I only had 5 by the time we called it. Do you save them up for summoning or do you use them for the army buffs? The only one that seems worth it is the FnP buff, otherwise saving for a Bloodthirster?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So this is apparently a thing? Unsure if its legit or not.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 26, 2015

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Months ago there were rumours of an intro 30k plastic box. I guess they were right?

I hope they have the forgeworld cool mkiv heads and not the gw ugly as hell ones.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh dear I hope that's some sort of intricate fake.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hencoe posted:

warseer sucks

If you're going to image leach, at least do it from someone with some bandwidth.

Edit: Those are some neat looking plastic marines though.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 26, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hencoe posted:

What's the problem? Plastic is great.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

drgnvale posted:

If you're going to image leach, at least do it from someone with some bandwidth.

I'm just copying what's sent to me. Effort in phone posting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I weep for the mess of Forgeworld Heresy Ultras I got recently, but if I can bolster their ranks with more affordable duders you won't see me complaining.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hencoe posted:

People can give Games Workshop poo poo for tons of things, but their current plastic kits are way way better quality than that. Those are elaborate mock ups but the detailing in the pieces is no where near what GW can produce. Great for China I suppose.

I mean look at that attached Space Marine head in the first shot. :pwn:

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hencoe posted:

My dick is rock hard.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Now I'm wondering if these are compatible with the Chapter upgrade sprues.

A quick check says they are.

The swords on the Dark angel shoulderpads aren't broken for instance.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'm also seeing if anyone on Warseer is going to get upset when I point out that they are planning to 'Age of Sigmar' 40k.

Warseer is pretty bad.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
30k is doomed if GW prime have taken an interest. That'll teach FW for being a success. I want to be wrong.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Vondizimo posted:

30k is doomed if GW prime have taken an interest. That'll teach FW for being a success. I want to be wrong.

Yeeeeah I hate to say it but I think I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Maybe this is something you already know and are sick of hearing, in which case sorry: it is really easy to magnetise all 3 options on the modern demolisher kit turret, the stock leman russ has 4 options which are also easy (you can only have vanquisher or battle cannon, but just glue together which variant looks cooler and use it as either - no one cares or can tell the difference). Hull weapons stick in so don't even need magnets to swap. Sponsons likewise, I haven't assembled my sponsons (I don't like the look) but you could easily mag or even blu-tack the sponson onto the hull, and just slot the weapons in and out. I literally have a bag of leman russ options (all weapons and dozer blades) which I carry around. Only problem is I inevitably forget to throw the bag in my case with the army and end up playing a game with 3 weaponless tanks occasionally.

Haha, three weaponless tanks would be pretty good to lug around. I'd be disappointed with myself for that. I try to be as WYSISYG as possible. I've got Vendetta/Valkyries magnatized - when I bought them they were partially assembled. I didn't buy any of my Imp Guard new, so most things have already been assembled or partially assembled. That's why I'd like to be able to use the battle tanks as modelled for once. I normally just play them as vanquishers because the only difference is a longer barrel. So yeah, it's just the only downside of buying used - not getting the weapon sprues with the purchase.

I'll just be on the look out for unassembled models should I decide to expand on my tank selection in the future.

• Locked thread